Staying on Property vs off Property

If someone is onsite only, goes every year, intends to continue going every year for another decade or so, usually stays deluxe, and pays for the points with cash upfront, DVC can make financial sense. If someone normally goes only at peak times when it's tough to find discounts, even more so. I also know people who've paid off their DVC purchase by renting it out part time; DVC is one of the rare timeshares that rent for more than the yearly fees.

Of course, buying DVC is gambling on the future -- unhappy DVC owners I've seen are people who borrowed to pay but miscalculated on their future finances and are now trapped with a Timeshare that they owe more on than they can sell it for; or people who lost interest in going to the parks sooner than expected; or people with unexpected health issues or some other problem keeping them home; a few rare individuals who have discovered that they like some (much cheaper) offsite resorts just as well; and one person who was outraged to discover they could have traded in cheaper with another Timeshare and now resents their purchase.

DVC keeps its resale value a lot better than most Timeshares, so aside from those in the first category, most unhappy owners have the opportunity to sell and recoup their money. :) I think I crunched the numbers once and it even made financial sense for people who stay in mods and (maybe) values, if they normally need two rooms for their family as we do, and if they'd end up using the kitchen for some of their meals (which not every one does, of course).

IMHO, doesn't make any financial sense to buy DVC unless you're onsite only. (Or if you already have a TS rental biz and want to rent the points, I suppose, although I don't expect there are many who can pull that off.) But if people are going to be paying deluxe onsite prices anyhow, DVC will likely save them money, and until and unless Disney decides to quit selling DVC (which seems unlikely), Disney's motivated to keep it that way.

I agree.

:teeth:

Probably not -- they have them there pretty regularly. I suspect it's because you get a better variety of responses here. In the Disney Resorts forum, at least when I was first paying attention, the "onsite or off?" threads were usually dominated with "onsite all the way" votes, with very little actual discussion. It seems to me there are more people posting there recognizing that offsite can work fine too than there used to be, but it's still more balanced here, and there's more breakdown of the specific pros and cons here as well.

I suppose you are right. I never make it over to the other boards often, so it is quite possible that they pop up over there too, but I just notice that some offsite vs. on site discussions get moved here so I thought they all were move per some policy or something.

I do agree that we get a pretty good balance of views here on the "off site" board.

here's also the "Disney magic" or "being in the Disney bubble" thing, which I think is a real phenomenon. Numerous companies have done blind taste tests on various products where, for instance, people will not pick their "favorite" drink if said drink doesn't have the label on it. Some people would switch after being told they picked something else as their favorite, but others insisted that their preferred drink still gives them more pleasure than the drink they picked as best tasting. :confused3

When scientists measured brain activity while they were drinking, turns out with people who respond this way, the label actually triggers a totally different pleasure center (one associated with social activity, memory serves), so while the taste alone doesn't give them as much pleasure as some competitor, the labeled drink gives them more. :scratchin

I'm thinking the same phenomenon happens with Disney -- the sheer fact that some people are staying onsite gives them an added boost of pleasure. If that's how someone is wired, then staying onsite really may be worth considerably more... to that person. ;) Or maybe "to that person at that point in time" -- I suspect some people who were once "onsite all the way" but have switched to offsite unless Disney has a real deal did once get a buzz out of the Disney label, but it just doesn't work that way anymore.

People are complicated. :upsidedow

Companies spend billions of dollars on brand. Disney has done the same thing and some people are very loyal to that brand and willing to spend anything and everything to have it. These are the onsite people. Others are not as loyal and prefer to perhaps visit the parks but stay outside the gates, and some people don't even go to Orlando. Or go to other parks if they do. At least that is my analogy.

I never make it over to the other boards often

I follow too many of the subboards here; I always swear I'll stick to just this one and the threads I'm subscribed to, but I never stick to my own limitations. Then I decide I'm spending too much time here and bail on all of them, only to drift back and fall into the same trap again. :rolleyes:

I just notice that some offsite vs. on site discussions get moved here so I thought they all were move per some policy or something.

They may have a policy with threads posted somewhere they don't "belong," I dunno. The threads I've seen shifted here from Disney Resorts, I got the impression the OP was seriously considering offsite, and the Mod who moves the thread sometimes even comments, "You'll get more responses here."

Some threads started in the Disney Resorts thread are clearly just a theoretical "which is better", and I think those usually stay put. So do threads started there where the OP is pretty clearly looking for support for their choice to stay onsite, I'm pretty sure. ;)

My impression is that the mods try to honor the OPs intent, even if they don't agree that the OPs thread belongs where the OP posted it; since the OP here is an offsite fan, on that logic it makes sense to move the thread here.

Even though getting moved here is not what the OP was probably trying to accomplish at all. :p

I see value in both. When it's our family and my inlaws, we rent a house. It's cheaper, and we enjoy the space, having our own pool, and DH having our own room. But, when its just the three of us, we are all about staying on site. I love being immersed in all things Disney 24/7, and I love staying in such a spotless resort. We rent a car (don't care for Disney transportation either), and drive to each park.

I see both. But I see them as separate types of vacation. When we rent the house, we also do more "Florida" type things. Whereas staying onsite is a 100% Disney vacation.

The most outstanding seeming offsite value in the overbuilt Orlando market to me seems to be the timeshare condo rental or house rental when you have a large group.

In accommodation decisions though what you are looking for / what you value comes into play.

I was considering onsite for an upcoming trip in October and priced Disney's Coronado Springs, a moderate, and for the popular October weekend I was looking at and with a 60% off discount (my nephew is in the Disney College Program), I could get a double queen with a view for about $125 a night. I was tempted. I ended up though going with a four star hotel across the street from SeaWorld, the Marriott Renaissance. With the SeaWorld package (all the things in this except for quick queue I would have bought anyway), what I am paying for the hotel is about $130 a night for a double queen. Our parks for our two days will be SeaWorld and Epcot.

I almost booked onsite though.

I see value in both. When it's our family and my inlaws, we rent a house. It's cheaper, and we enjoy the space, having our own pool, and DH having our own room. But, when its just the three of us, we are all about staying on site. I love being immersed in all things Disney 24/7, and I love staying in such a spotless resort. We rent a car (don't care for Disney transportation either), and drive to each park.

Same here. My DD and I are the Disney fans in the family and often travel just the 2 of us to the World. When it's just the two of us we usually stay on-site in a value or moderate. There is more than enough room and we love being immersed in the magic 24/7. However, when my son joins us or the entire family goes, there just isn't enough room for 4 adults. I don't even like to think about sharing the single bathroom. :scared1:

For our next trip in October, all 4 of us are going. We'll be staying off site in 2 bedroom 2 bath condo only a couple miles from WDW, for less than the cost of a value resort. In addition to the extra space, we'll have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer and since we always rent a car, there's no added expense on that front.

Same here. My DD and I are the Disney fans in the family and often travel just the 2 of us to the World. When it's just the two of us we usually stay on-site in a value or moderate. There is more than enough room and we love being immersed in the magic 24/7. However, when my son joins us or the entire family goes, there just isn't enough room for 4 adults. I don't even like to think about sharing the single bathroom. :scared1:

For our next trip in October, all 4 of us are going. We'll be staying off site in 2 bedroom 2 bath condo only a couple miles from WDW, for less than the cost of a value resort. In addition to the extra space, we'll have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer and since we always rent a car, there's no added expense on that front.

Unless you are an AP holder, there would be the added parking fee expense?

Correct, about $15/day.

Although depending on where you stay, there can be good local bus service into WDW -- one route on Irlo Bronson runs twice an hour to the TTC. I don't like buses, myself, but my son thinks the Orlando bus system is great. :)

Yes but we are getting such a good rate offsite that even with the parking fee AND the cost of the rental car, it's still cheaper than staying at a value!

Yes but we are getting such a good rate offsite that even with the parking fee AND the cost of the rental car, it's still cheaper than staying at a value!

I think that's when staying off site is a no brainer.
I would rather stay off site than not be able to go at all. ;)
We just bought a condo in FL this year so won't be staying on site anymore. It's a little sad to not be able to at all but that's the price you pay. We are thrilled I have never been down there so much in my life. It's the best. :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I think that's when staying off site is a no brainer.
I would rather stay off site than not be able to go at all. ;)

We actually prefer offsite to onsite. The fact that it's cheaper is just a bonus for us! :) Although I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want to stay at BC or the Poly or GF just once... can't afford any of those though. But between values or moderates and offsite? Offsite always wins - even if you take price out of the equation. We stayed onsite once (POFQ) and I pretty much hated it. Couldn't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about, and the cost - almost 3 times what we pay offsite - for what you get onsite just left me shaking my head. :confused3

Very jealous of your new condo! We live much too far to make something like that work for us right now, but maybe someday when we retire - not that far off for us!

But having a home away from home sounds heavenly. :cloud9:

We stayed at POFQ in 2012 and it was very nice and I have nothing negative to say about it.

However, after the trip me & my DW asked each other why did we spend all that money on a room with 2 beds and a bath when WBC is right around the corner and a 2 bedroom is 1/2 the price.

I will say we did get some of the Disney bubble feel the first day on check in though. It was nice with the kids getting beads and their 1st time to Disney buttons.

After that though the bubble was gone.

I would wake up and head to the food court to grab me & my DW a coffee and head back to the room to have coffee and a breakfast bar.

We had our car so we would walk from the room to the car (very short walk).

Spend the day & night at the park then head back to POFQ around 11pm and walk to our room and crash.

We did spend about 2 hours one day at the pool so we did enjoy that.

I think based on the way we visit and the fact that we don't take advantage of any of the onsite perks makes offsite work for us.

Now if I didn't have a car I would look hard and long at onsite..

We actually prefer offsite to onsite. The fact that it's cheaper is just a bonus for us! :) Although I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want to stay at BC or the Poly or GF just once... can't afford any of those though. But between values or moderates and offsite? Offsite always wins - even if you take price out of the equation. We stayed onsite once (POFQ) and I pretty much hated it. Couldn't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about, and the cost - almost 3 times what we pay offsite - for what you get onsite just left me shaking my head. :confused3

Very jealous of your new condo! We live much too far to make something like that work for us right now, but maybe someday when we retire - not that far off for us!

But having a home away from home sounds heavenly. :cloud9:

Thanks the condo has a dual purpose. DH works in FL now and commutes back and forth. I know it sounds crazy, but it's working. I think the only reason for that is we go down a LOT!!
We were planning on retiring there and now we have a head start. We may be moving sooner than later :)

We stayed onsite once (POFQ) and I pretty much hated it. Couldn't for the life of me understand what all the hype was about, and the cost - almost 3 times what we pay offsite - for what you get onsite just left me shaking my head. :confused3

I just can't imagine spending more than a day or two in a hotel room when I can get a 2 BR condo for less. :confused3 We can trade into a DVC 2 BR for about $200/night, which is pretty reasonable -- except we can almost always find an equally nice but larger 2 BR offsite for under $50/night. Orlando is overbuilt, and there are always deals in my experience. Disney magic is too variable to count on, and I suspect that, even if some of us turn out to be really attuned to the whole Disney bubble thing, it wouldn't justify spending four times as much.

But we'll probably give it a shot once we're traveling with fewer kids anyhow. :rolleyes: Can't really compare until we've truly been there, and we'd plan to spend time on the resort and check out the pool. But only for a night or two if it's a hotel room; then we'd shift somewhere with some space! :)

I will say we did get some of the Disney bubble feel the first day on check in though. It was nice with the kids getting beads and their 1st time to Disney buttons.

You don't need to be staying there for that. We were wandering the resorts pin trading once and a couple of times either the person they were pin trading with or someone else called them over to the front desk and handed out goodies. I know the kids scored beads at POFQ and balloon swords... somewhere. :p OKW, maybe? And it seems like there was something else, but it wasn't as popular as the beads or balloons.

Pin trading at the resorts is particularly fun because a lot of them have a big board either on display or back behind a desk somewhere that they'll haul out for kids if you're there when it's slow, which about blew my kids minds with pin overload the first time it happened. :cool2:

I just can't imagine spending more than a day or two in a hotel room when I can get a 2 BR condo for less. :confused3 We can trade into a DVC 2 BR for about $200/night, which is pretty reasonable -- except we can almost always find an equally nice but larger 2 BR offsite for under $50/night. Orlando is overbuilt, and there are always deals in my experience. Disney magic is too variable to count on, and I suspect that, even if some of us turn out to be really attuned to the whole Disney bubble thing, it wouldn't justify spending four times as much.

But we'll probably give it a shot once we're traveling with fewer kids anyhow. :rolleyes: Can't really compare until we've truly been there, and we'd plan to spend time on the resort and check out the pool. But only for a night or two if it's a hotel room; then we'd shift somewhere with some space! :)

It's just DH and I, we don't have any kids. So we don't need a big two bedroom. But we hated POFQ for other reasons. First, they won't guarantee a King size bed. At the time we stayed there, POFQ had double beds, not queens. So we got a room with two double beds. We are not pooh-sized, but I sleep on my stomach with one knee up next to me. I take up a lot of room :) So for our anniversary trip, we spent the nights sleeping in separate beds. I was NOT happy about that AT ALL. Secondly, we hated that the rooms open to the outside instead of an interior hallway. The love bugs kept getting in the room like that, and I found some on my pillow one night. I realize they don't bite or carry disease, but I just didn't like bugs in my bed. I also didn't like that the windows faced the walkway where the people walk by all day. So we had to keep the drapes drawn all the time so no one could look in at us. Made the room very dark and dreary. I couldn't put my purse in the safe because the safe is a TINY slot in the wall. Ridiculous. Whenever we stay offsite, we have always had a big safe that can hold my whole purse and big camera or any other large item I wanted to store. Lastly, there was ONE hot tub on the property for 1000 rooms!!!!!!! The little tub was PACKED with people. Gross. Oh, and NO Starbucks!!

I just felt that for $150 a night (what we paid for POFQ at the time) we just got sooooo much less than what we've paid less for offsite. The two beds thing and the one hot tub were what really made me the most unhappy. I want a nice King size bed on my vacation, and enough hot tubs so you're not packed in like sardines. And I don't think I'm unreasonable to expect that. And if they can't guarantee a King bed or I have to pay extra for it, then I think that's ridiculous. It makes NO sense that I have only 2 people in the room and would have to pay MORE than if 4 people are in a room with two beds. Give me offsite any day for $50-$60 a night where it's BIGGER, I'm guaranteed a King size bed, inside facing rooms, large safes, and many hot tubs (we used to stay a the Radisson Celebration - they have 4 hot tubs, and WBC has 8 hot tubs I think!). I just don't think Disney properties are that well thought out, and are overpriced. But that's JMHO. :)

The Radisson had Starbucks in the lobby, super comfy beds with real down comforters, huge safe, 4 hot tubs and was half the price of POFQ. Same with WBC. Huge apartment basically instead of just a little room, washer/dryer, full kitchen, wonderful King size bed, 8 hot tubs, 2 lazy rivers, full coffee maker so I can make my own Starbucks, and we are paying only $57 a night (no extra tax or resort fees) for this trip. Last year we paid $100 an night (total) for a 2 BR. Still cheaper than a value. It's a total no-brainer for us. Disney can keep their hotels. They are not for us.

First, they won't guarantee a King size bed.

I hear ya. Hubby and I are fine in a queen-size at home, but on vacation we sleep better in a king. I think you ought to be able to pay extra and get a king, but of course there are plenty of horror stories going around where people paid extra for this or that and Disney overbooked, so they were down graded. Still would up the odds of getting what you want if they had that as a category.

I just don't think Disney properties are that well thought out, and are overpriced. But that's JMHO. :)

I think they're brilliantly thought out. It's just that the thinking goes, "We need to get people into the bubble, and then we need to get them spending lots of money." They don't want people hanging out in the rooms or spending too much time in the pools; they want them in the parks, stores or restaurants spending money. So the resorts are stunner beautiful, which convinces people they want to stay there, but then rooms are tiny and the pools and hot tubs crowded.

When people say, "This room is dark and small and I can't take it any more, but the pool and hot tub are crowded, so I don't want to hang out there, either. Guess I'll go wander the shops/get a drink or snack/hit Downtown Disney and kill some time," the Disney Powers That Be rub their hands together and gloat, "Everything is going according to plan." ;)

I think they're brilliantly thought out. It's just that the thinking goes, "We need to get people into the bubble, and then we need to get them spending lots of money." They don't want people hanging out in the rooms or spending too much time in the pools; they want them in the parks, stores or restaurants spending money. So the resorts are stunner beautiful, which convinces people they want to stay there, but then rooms are tiny and the pools and hot tubs crowded.

When people say, "This room is dark and small and I can't take it any more, but the pool and hot tub are crowded, so I don't want to hang out there, either. Guess I'll go wander the shops/get a drink or snack/hit Downtown Disney and kill some time," the Disney Powers That Be rub their hands together and gloat, "Everything is going according to plan." ;)

Well that makes sense and I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. I guess that theory must work on enough other people, but it definitely doesn't work on me. I spend more money when I'm happy and comfortable, not when I'm crabby and aggravated. :) But I guess I must be among the minority. I don't find any "bubble" onsite. Bubble mentality to me is feeling relaxed (in a hot tub, sleeping well in a nice big bed, etc) and not aggravated by all the things that annoy me. Not so bubbly. :teeth:

I really think in our case it has more to do with the fact that we don't have kids. So I have zero interest in characters and all that stuff that a lot of people equate with Disney "magic". And as an older person (not old, but older), creature comforts are what make me really happy. Oh well. They get a little of my money, but I'm not the big spender they focus on. I get that and thankfully there are perfect places that accommodate our needs.

After thinking about it, I would love to see Disney cater to those like me and maybe do one resort that is couples only. They could capture a lot more of my money with a place that had all the amenties I'm looking for and then put in adults only restaurants, pools (with pool bars that had drinks and food for me to spend on), and who knows what all else. They do something kinda similar on their cruise ships already, I don't see why that idea couldn't be replicated for a Disney World resort. I imagine it would be popular with honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries and so on. I would likely spend the extra money to stay someplace like that. No kids splashing me in the pool sounds heavenly.

... But we hated POFQ for other reasons. First, they won't guarantee a King size bed. ... The two beds thing and the one hot tub were what really made me the most unhappy. I want a nice King size bed on my vacation.

I agree with you on most everything, but 'king bed' is now a bookable category (at least it is at both POFQ and POR). So, you can be guaranteed one king bed now.

I'm with you on the rest of your points, though! (We stay onsite solely because of the great lifeguarding - only place I've ever relaxed with my kids swimming - and the outdoor movie in the evenings which my kids LOVE. If I could find even just the lifeguarding anywhere else - excluding Nick Hotel (been there, too frantic for a week+ vacation) - I'd go offsite in a heartbeat.)

I agree with you on most everything, but 'king bed' is now a bookable category (at least it is at both POFQ and POR). So, you can be guaranteed one king bed now.

I'm with you on the rest of your points, though! (We stay onsite solely because of the great lifeguarding - only place I've ever relaxed with my kids swimming - and the outdoor movie in the evenings which my kids LOVE. If I could find even just the lifeguarding anywhere else - excluding Nick Hotel (been there, too frantic for a week+ vacation) - I'd go offsite in a heartbeat.)

Good info. Didn't know that. Do you know if they charge extra for a King room? Also, I really do think I would maybe have a different attitude about it if I had kids. So I do take that into consideration. I think Disney "magic" is more important when you have kids (like the outdoor movies, etc.). For just DH and I, those kinds of things don't matter a whit.

Good info. Didn't know that. Do you know if they charge extra for a King room? Also, I really do think I would maybe have a different attitude about it if I had kids. So I do take that into consideration. I think Disney "magic" is more important when you have kids (like the outdoor movies, etc.). For just DH and I, those kinds of things don't matter a whit.

Totally agree with you, Bellamouse. If I didn't have kids, I doubt I'd stay onsite.

Oh - make no mistake, I don't see the evening (daily) marshmallow roast (at all moderates and deluxe resorts) or outdoor movie (all resorts) as Disney magical. My kids are low key 10 year olds, who would rather spend only 2 or 3 hours at a park in the morning, then lunch, then "AC break" at hotel, then swim, dinner, marshmallows, movie. They just don't want to get back in the car (or bus) to go to fireworks or anything else at night. So I think that is why they like the Disney resorts - the low key, right there at our hotel room door, evening entertainment. Oh - and the burgers, fries and milkshakes (at POR, POFQ, POP) at the food court (which they can walk to by themselves).

TMI, I know, but just so some offsite lovers understand us onsite people! I don't like cramming into a small hotel room either, but they make it so easy for me - no where else can my 10 year olds safely (in my opinion): walk to a pool and swim (because no one lifeguards like Disney resorts); get their own meals at a food court; and partake in evening entertainment. It is the only type of vacation where I actually get a break.

King rooms are an upcharge; same price as river view. I can't post link but if you go to portorleans dot org, or google "Mousesavers rack 2014" you'll see the rates for each category, by hotel. Off the top of my head its about $20 more. Still, without kids, why bother when you have WBC with a balcony, living room, and big frig. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter