Staying on Property vs off Property

Just got back from WDW and a stay at Caribbean Beach....here are my thoughts.

I have been to WDW 14 times in the last 11 years and for the majority of those, stayed offsite due to cost. We stayed at Shades of Green during our second trip, the Polynesian last January, and just got back from Caribbean Beach yesterday. The 10 trips other trips, we either stayed at offsite resorts or rented a house near Disney.

As of this moment, I can not see us ever staying on property again to be honest. We "qualified" for free dining on this trip and that was what convinced us to stay on property again but it isn't free. It's simply absorbed into the much higher price of staying onsite. Although the resort grounds were beautiful, the room was small and dated. The food court area was crazy crowded, the service was less than spectacular (no coffee available several times at food court, coffee pods not replaced in room until I asked for them). And I apologize to everyone who loves Disney transportation, but it is terrible. One day we waited for 40 minutes to get on a bus from the resort to Hollywood Studios. Most trips from the resort to a park or back were between 40 minutes to an hour because the bus needs to stop at a dozen places around the resort on it's loop. And they can keep the "Magical Express" too as we sat on the bus at the airport for 25 minutes before it even departed only to stop at 3 other resorts before ours. From the time we got on the bus at the airport until it dropped us off at Caribbean Beach, it took over an hour and 15 minutes.

So, for me, a trip to Disney can be relaxing offsite or a perpetual bus ride onsite. I don't enjoy sitting on the bus so I'll rent a car from now on. And since I'm renting a car, I'll save money and stay offsite. To me, there's nothing "magical" with riding a bus.

You sound like me. I haven't quite yet cancelled my room at All Stars, or my Magical Express reservation, but I probably will soon. I keep thinking back to the last time I visited Disney without a car, about a decade ago, and vowed then I would never do it again. I stayed at Old Key West which also has a lot of internal bus stops.

I crack up when I read on here where people post how they so much loooove Disney buses and not driving at Disney. Really?!? I don't find waiting 20 minutes for even a Disney bus, only to cram on with 50 of your new closest sweaty friends, then make stop after stop before getting to your destination very magical. I love having a car.

And, like you, since I have a car I might as well go 15 minutes down the road where I will spend half the money for my hotel, and that includes free breakfast! And it's not some 1,900 room behemoth with thousands and thousands of other guests.

You sound like me. I haven't quite yet cancelled my room at All Stars, or my Magical Express reservation, but I probably will soon. I keep thinking back to the last time I visited Disney without a car, about a decade ago, and vowed then I would never do it again. I stayed at Old Key West which also has a lot of internal bus stops.

I crack up when I read on here where people post how they so much loooove Disney buses and not driving at Disney. Really?!? I don't find waiting 20 minutes for even a Disney bus, only to cram on with 50 of your new closest sweaty friends, then make stop after stop before getting to your destination very magical. I love having a car.

And, like you, since I have a car I might as well go 15 minutes down the road where I will spend half the money for my hotel, and that includes free breakfast! And it's not some 1,900 room behemoth with thousands and thousands of other guests.

Ditto to everything you said.

Except you're sometimes spending 1/3 the money on a hotel and it's often equally if not more nice.

In 33 trips to Orlando since the park opened in the early 70s, I've stayed onsite six times and offsite 27 times.

The one onsite stay I really enjoyed was a high floor tower view room at the Contemporary. The nice thing about it is that DH had a seminar at the Contemporary resort, so accommodations were paid in full by his company. I loved the balcony, the view, and watching the Electrical Light boats from there. For the cost difference between that and an offsite lovely condo complex, I really couldn't ever see myself staying there if it were my own money. The price is just out of my normal vacation budget, and it wouldn't be worth it to me to just stay three nights instead of seven to stay there. Interesting too on that trip is that we didn't do any Disney theme parks. We had a car and did go to SeaWorld one day, but other than that we just did resort hoping and other freebie things at Disney.// Two other stays were four night freebies due to DH seminar too, Contemporary Garden View side building and Port Orleans Riverside. I really didn't care for these stays and was really happy to go to an offsite condo instead when his seminar was over (split on and offsite stay on these two trips). On these trips I for some reason felt trapped at Disney and trapped into paying high food prices. Even though I had a car, it just felt like I was really going out of my way to drive offsite and eat. I missed having my own kitchen for snacks and breakfast big time. I missed not having a great balcony to sit out on. I guess on the other stay in the tower I was just so delighted with my balcony and view that I didn't feel that way. // My other three onsite stays were at Fort Wilderness in a motorhome, and that's actually a pretty good way to go if you happen to already own a motorhome or have a friend who invites you to go down and stay in their motorhome.

So many people talk about the Disney Magic, but it is actually a bit much for my family to be onsite 24/7 -- DH especially wants to escape. And I just HATE the food at Disney food courts for some reason. And I don't like having to make reservations for table service dining for more than about two meals in a week long period. I loved the old days before the Disney dining plan when you could just decide to go to any restaurant in the World and even high season with no reservation only wait about 20 minutes. Now that to me was magical. Now high season, make your reservations in advance or be stuck in food court hell. I think another big reason offsite seems to be a better fit for us, is that there is so much that we love to do in Orlando that is not Disney. SeaWorld for example is our favorite theme park. We also like to spend some time just hanging out at a nice resort (off days after a theme park day) -- swimming, playing tennis, maybe some mini golf or par three golf. We also when down in Orlando if the weather is nice usually will do a day trip somewhere too -- Clearwater Beach or Kennedy Space Center (Great day trips!). When things like that are on the agenda, it really doesn't to me make sense to pay a premium to be onsite when all we are going to do is drive offsite for the day. I also if my stay is longer than four nights want more space (condo or house). Yes you can rent DVC points, but I find that for what type of accommodations I want even renting points is just really expensive compared to owner rentals offsite and would mean shortening my stay considerably to stay in budget.

I'm a big offsite fan.

The offsite condo owner rental from a timeshare owner is my favorite for a week long stay. I like this more than a house rental as it to me gives more of the resort feel that I like. A house rental, though, if you have a really large group and all want to stay together is a great choice I think. We can get a nice condo if our party is 10 or less, but move to a house when it gets larger than that. Then again with our youngest at 18, people draw straws about who is going to get stuck with the princess or pirate room (YUCK!). But I guess 18-77 isn't the typical demographic for a Disney house rental. Actually, we look for houses that don't decorate Disney, and they are available.

I don't find waiting 20 minutes for even a Disney bus, only to cram on with 50 of your new closest sweaty friends, then make stop after stop before getting to your destination very magical.

I think for a lot of "on-site all the way" people, they enjoy the energy of crowds so that's part of the magic for them. :confused3

On these trips I for some reason felt trapped at Disney and trapped into paying high food prices. Even though I had a car, it just felt like I was really going out of my way to drive offsite and eat.

Most of the on-site "perks" are really ways for Disney to trap you in the bubble, IMHO. Magical Express, onsite transportation, the way they Disney Dining Plan is set up, the ability to charge to your room -- those all keep you at Disney, spending your money there instead of exploring the more financially reasonable options offsite. For people who love that "in the bubble feeling," they're benefits. But for the rest of us, not so much. They're benefits set up primarily for Disney, although of course they hope we'll see them as benefits too.

That said, I do think Disney offers a theme or an ambiance that no one else does, and if staying onsite gives someone a big enough charge, it's totally worth it. I'm just not convinced that most people onsite are really getting their money's worth. I know a lot more former on-site-all-the-way people than I do former offsite-all-the-way people; most people who give both a good try, either like them about equally for different reasons, or end up devoted offsiters.

It will be interesting to see how FP+ and prebooking changes the dynamics of offsite stays (or not).

When our kids were little, we did two offsite stays in a 5bdrm rental house in WH with extended family. We loved it and thought, "Why would we ever pay to stay onsite?"

Then I got a 40% off pin code and since it was just going to be the 4 of us that time, we stayed at WL for $189 in a bunk bed room and LOVED it. We did the DDP (probably wouldn't do that again) and the Disney transportation was just fine. DH wanted to do the DVC tour just to get more info, so we did that, also toured BCV and BWV, and ended up joining the DVC. Main reason we joined is that we are going to Aulani this month (woo hoo!) and getting a 2bdrm, which we would never have done otherwise.

Last year we stayed onsite at OKW and in a THV, and we did a mostly non-park stay (we did do TL and Legoland) and just enjoyed the resort amenities. The pool activities at OKW will be etched in my mind forever because they are activities we did with our kids (who were 10 and 8 at the time). We really saw the benefit in Disney resort time over other resorts.

Would I say I'll never stay off-site again? Definitely not, I'd be happy to stay at WH any time. But for our extended family trip next fall, we'll be using our points to hopefully stay at AKV. It is possible to like both onsite and offsite resorts. :)

When our kids were little, we did two offsite stays in a 5bdrm rental house in WH with extended family.

Last year we stayed onsite at OKW and in a THV, and we did a mostly non-park stay (we did do TL and Legoland) and just enjoyed the resort amenities. The pool activities at OKW will be etched in my mind forever because they are activities we did with our kids (who were 10 and 8 at the time). We really saw the benefit in Disney resort time over other resorts.

Out of curiosity.....have you stayed offsite at any other resorts besides Windsor Hills? I am asking because WH has been described by many on these threads as being more like a quiet subdivision or small community and less like a true "resort". I am wondering if OKW would seem to compare more to resorts like the Hilton Grand Vacations, Marriott Vacation Club (Harbour Lake, Grande Vista, etc.), the Westgate resorts (Lakes Resort & Spa, for example) or similar properties.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in August for the first time, and their pool and resort activities (for every age) were incredible. Something different every day, and well beyond anything we experienced at POR. Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa in August 2012 was another example where the resort amenities and activities far surpassed the Disney resort offerings. Paddle boats, onsite mini golf, and some awesome pool parties and activities.

Out of curiosity.....have you stayed offsite at any other resorts besides Windsor Hills? I am asking because WH has been described by many on these threads as being more like a quiet subdivision or small community and less like a true "resort". I am wondering if OKW would seem to compare more to resorts like the Hilton Grand Vacations, Marriott Vacation Club (Harbour Lake, Grande Vista, etc.), the Westgate resorts (Lakes Resort & Spa, for example) or similar properties.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in August for the first time, and their pool and resort activities (for every age) were incredible. Something different every day, and well beyond anything we experienced at POR. Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa in August 2012 was another example where the resort amenities and activities far surpassed the Disney resort offerings. Paddle boats, onsite mini golf, and some awesome pool parties and activities.

Yes, we stayed with my sister at the Marriott Royal Palms resort, but honestly it was in December and it was too cold to swim. Good point, I'm sure there are some resorts that offer great activities.

This will be our 6th Christmas season trip to WDW. We have stayed at FW, WL, Poly, Floridian, and CR.It has been great fun staying on site, especially on the monorail line! The last time we went was in 2005 and we stayed in CR Tower Atrium with MK view. We LOVED the convenience and large room!!pixiedust:
However......back then our room cost us $350 per night. Now, it's about $1000. The standard deluxe rooms now are between $500 and $700. The value resorts are of course much better but the rooms are small and we have our own car and don't need the transportation.
We have found a room at the Hilton literally across the street from DTD. It's the Deluxe Junior Suite, twice the size of a standard room (two double beds and a sleeper sofa), and looks right over DTD. We will be paying $240 per night.
If we had the money to spend (for 9 nights) we'd be back to the CR or WL in the blink of the eye. But we don't. And how excited are we to be able to afford a big beautiful room within a 1-2 minute walk from DTD AND 8 days at WDW?
THIS excited!!!!! :rotfl::cool1::goodvibes:hyper::rotfl::cheer2::banana::woohoo:

December 16th here we come!!:dance3:

I agree. Last Oct/Nov we stayed at a friend's time share over at Westlake Town Center. They had their own movie theater that showed Disney movies every night, two kinds of paddle boats, onsite mini golf, horse shoes/volley ball/ etc, planned onsite activites, a little train that took you through the resort, a few places to eat, an ice cream parlor, and I don't remember what else. That was our first offsite stay and we would have never done it, if my coworker had not offered us a great deal of just $400.00 for the week. We fell in love with offsite and this person who had always said she would stay home before she'd ever stay offsite had to eat her words. I came straight home and started looking for other offsite options and within a week or two had canceled our onsite stay for May and booked with Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We fell in love with Bonnet Creek and now can not imagine ever staying onsite again. I was going to make a solo trip back to WDW in Sept and for just a little while considered saving some money by staying in a Value resort. I ran the numbers and even with an AP discount, a one bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek was cheaper. I prefer having a car down there, so could not think of a single reason why I'd pay more for a tiny Value resort through WDW, than a one bedroom condo at BC that is also physically within the Disney gates and closer to the parks than alot of the Disney owned hotels. Wyndham Bonnet Creek has six pools, several pool slides, multiple hot tubs, two lazy rivers, a kids water play area, a free mini golf course, game rooms, pool tables, planned activites everyday, and the condos have balconies, very comfortable king size beds, TVs for every bedroom plus one in the living room, fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryers, jacuzzi tubs, nice walk in showers, etc. We'll be back at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a one bedroom in Dec. We are paying just $60.00/night and was offered a two bedroom for just $70.00/night. You can't get a tiny Value room for that, much less a condo in a Deluxe resort and we'll still be closer to the parks than alot of the so called onsite hotels (five minutes to either DS, Epcot, or DTD).

I agree. Last Oct/Nov we stayed at a friend's time share over at Westlake Town Center. They had their own movie theater that showed Disney movies every night, two kinds of paddle boats, onsite mini golf, horse shoes/volley ball/ etc, planned onsite activites, a little train that took you through the resort, a few places to eat, an ice cream parlor, and I don't remember what else. That was our first offsite stay and we would have never done it, if my coworker had not offered us a great deal of just $400.00 for the week. We fell in love with offsite and this person who had always said she would stay home before she'd ever stay offsite had to eat her words. I came straight home and started looking for other offsite options and within a week or two had canceled our onsite stay for May and booked with Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We fell in love with Bonnet Creek and now can not imagine ever staying onsite again. I was going to make a solo trip back to WDW in Sept and for just a little while considered saving some money by staying in a Value resort. I ran the numbers and even with an AP discount, a one bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek was cheaper. I prefer having a car down there, so could not think of a single reason why I'd pay more for a tiny Value resort through WDW, than a one bedroom condo at BC that is also physically within the Disney gates and closer to the parks than alot of the Disney owned hotels. Wyndham Bonnet Creek has six pools, several pool slides, multiple hot tubs, two lazy rivers, a kids water play area, a free mini golf course, game rooms, pool tables, planned activites everyday, and the condos have balconies, very comfortable king size beds, TVs for every bedroom plus one in the living room, fully equipped kitchens, washer/dryers, jacuzzi tubs, nice walk in showers, etc. We'll be back at Wyndham Bonnet Creek in a one bedroom in Dec. We are paying just $60.00/night and was offered a two bedroom for just $70.00/night. You can't get a tiny Value room for that, much less a condo in a Deluxe resort and we'll still be closer to the parks than alot of the so called onsite hotels (five minutes to either DS, Epcot, or DTD).

May I ask where you're finding these kind of prices at WBC? I keep seeing people on these boards reporting these kinds of prices, but everywhere I look the pricing is way higher. Thanks!

May I ask where you're finding these kind of prices at WBC? I keep seeing people on these boards reporting these kinds of prices, but everywhere I look the pricing is way higher. Thanks!

+1

Every time I've looked into WBC the price quotes are SIGNIFICANTLY higher so we've never stayed there.

+1

Every time I've looked into WBC the price quotes are SIGNIFICANTLY higher so we've never stayed there.

Last May we paid $89.50 per night for a one bedroom through Vacation Strategies. For our Dec trip we are paying $60.00 per night for a one bedroom through Aaron Washburn. He also offered us a two bedroom for $70.00 per night. Aaron Washburn lists on myresortnetwork.com. Both get excellent reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter