State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've just adjusted to the fact that we're likely not going to have any way to get around the long lines. We'll just skip the rides that have an hour or more wait and focus on what we can do, but it will certainly color my opinion on returning for a good long time.

Sorry...deleted due a posting error

Last edited:
And that’s why I used median HOUSEHOLD income….so if the family makes $79,000 per year that’s in line with the statistic.
Yeah but households have different and more expenses than a household with a single income at the same level. Not to mention all the other variables that exist. So yeah, your comparisons are appropriate on paper to compare one area of income, I guess, just not real world applicable.

If you don't like the way a company does business, stop giving them your money. That's your strongest tool as an individual.

If enough people do that, things change, or the company ultimately goes out of business.

That's what we're doing, my wife and i have been nearly 20 times since 2008, skipping 2012 when my youngest son was born, and skipping last year because we wanted to do something different. We wont be back next year either, i still have younger kids, (they grow so fast that i'm not sure its fair to call them younger now..ekkk) so they're pushing for 2023.

I'm just one guy, and my family's money means nothing to them, i can just hope others stop giving them as much as well.

Well that is quite a bit of spin. Two glaring contextual flaws I see in your argument. For one, I live in the midwest. Anecdotally, I don't know a single person around me who makes $80,000. The Median income is highly skewed by areas of the country flush with money like NYC, LA, San Fran, Miami, Austin, etc.

"In simple terms, if Warren Buffet walks into a room in which there are 80 guys who are dead broke, the moment he’s there, they’re all billionaires, on average. Because Buffett is worth over $81 billion, and 81 guys divided by any number over 81 billion means that on average, they’re all worth over $1 billion."

"The top 5% of US households earn as much as the bottom 60% combined. The top earners skew the mean, or simple average income number, much higher than the amount the median, or exact middle-of-the-pack household earns"

"And what we find is that for all the purported progress and recovery and great stock market and all the rest, the real household median income, below which half of all US households fall, is around $45,000 and about half the mean income of almost $90,000"

Secondly, you conveniently choose to use ticket prices as your only metric. Everyone here knows Disney is not in the business of making profits at the turnstyle, it's the $4 water, the $20 hamburger, the $75 t-shirt, the parking, the resort fees, and soon the $15 per person fast pass. They make it on food and merch not unlike a Movie theatre. Speaking of which I bet you could create the same metric for theatre ticket prices over the years, but you will have failed to mention how expensive the popcorn and soda are. Theatres make next to nothing on the actual ticket prices same as disney.

You have cherry picked a very specific metric to suit your argument.
That was a really long post arguing that they should be using median not mean when they were already doing that in the first place. In your buffet scenario the median income would still be broke, not $1 billion.

According to the US census bureau, the median household income in the US in 2019 was $65,712. It’s certainly closer to $70,000 in 2021. Not sure where your quote about $45,000 came from. Here’s the data with a definition of how they got to median income as well.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2020/acs/acsbr20-03.pdf
I also live in the Midwest and know many households making $70k a year. Who you know and I know and how much money they make is irrelevant. That data is what it is.

Overall, I agree with the rest of your post though. There’s more to the cost of a visit than ticket prices.

I can hold them accountable by no longer giving them my money.

Precisely. That's your prerogative. Just as others paying to visit the theme parks is their prerogative. But I'm still bemused at the phrasing "holding them accountable." Accountable for what? For a large number of people wanting to go on vacation at their theme parks?

Again, did Disney kick your dog?

There are so many variables to this, its really not as simple as comparing it to median income. I'm no economic expert, and this could lead us into some very political conversations.....

Comparing the cost of a theme park ticket to median income over the years is valid as indicator of income over the years and what percentage of that income would be spent on a theme park ticket. Nowhere was it asserted that median income gives the absolute precise picture; it was presented as a single point of information for a complex subject.

Every person makes highly individual decisions on how to spend their income; trying to drag expenses into the argument is a bit of a straw man.

Precisely. That's your prerogative. Just as others paying to visit the theme parks is their prerogative. But I'm still bemused at the phrasing "holding them accountable." Accountable for what? For a large number of people wanting to go on vacation at their theme parks?

Again, did Disney kick your dog?! I'm failing to see the injury in all this. Paying for a theme park ticket
I didnt realize that the term "accountable" required there to be some sort of injury.....

"In simple terms, if Warren Buffet walks into a room in which there are 80 guys who are dead broke, the moment he’s there, they’re all billionaires, on average. Because Buffett is worth over $81 billion, and 81 guys divided by any number over 81 billion means that on average, they’re all worth over $1 billion."

This is the mean, not the median.

Not trying to speak for others but I think TinkerBelle_325’s post referencing median income was about comparing percentages (ticket prices ÷ median income) and showed that the percentages have increased (roughly doubled) over time. If median income in [pick any state] is a certain percentage less than the median income for the entire country, then the numbers would change but the pattern would not. If the $79K number should be $45K, then the $9K number (for 1971) would be ~$5,100. The pattern would remain the same. :scratchin

My guess?
A) They were giving out more information than their source was comfortable with and were asked to stop.
B) They were “the source” and had to delete their account when someone at the company who follows the boards caught them.
C) They were a troll.
D) It was due to his negative comments about Pete. Thanks Loro, I forgot those posts.

In the end it doesn’t matter. There are people on here, on wdwmagic, and on YouTube all with their own unique rumors which leads me to believe no one really knows.

This is the mean, not the median.

No, this is MEDIAN:

The top 5% of US households earn as much as the bottom 60% combined. The top earners skew the mean, or simple average income number, much higher than the amount the median, or exact middle-of-the-pack household earns.
When looking at the median, we take every single US household and rank them by annual income. There are about 126 million households in the US, so when ranked by income, we look at the income of the 63rd millionth on the list.
And what we find is that for all the purported progress and recovery and great stock market and all the rest, the real household median income, below which half of all US households fall, is around $45,000 and about half the mean income of almost $90,000

Please if you are going quote one of my posts do not cherry pick a sentence and delete the rest contradicting the point you are trying to make. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter