STAR WARS: GALACTIC STARCRUISER Official Information & Questions Thread

As the linked video above indicates, I definitely think the immersive aspect is the focus. The marketing doesn’t show that at all but how can they? If things stay the way they are with Covid, the immersive experience goes right out the window in my view. Socially distanced conversations with aliens and resistance fighters with masks on doesn’t really show well. The First Order would at least be a little easier to interact with but the close collaboration with other guests and cast member actors is what is going to make or break this experience. Maybe I am alone in this but I have a very difficult time understanding, interacting and connecting with others when we are all wearing masks. Without those meaningful interactions all you are left with is pushing some buttons on a generic dashboard and moving a simple lightsaber to hit some laser pointer targets, which is exactly what the video of Josh depicts. I don’t know if I am just being pessimistic but I am having a hard time getting excited about this.

The only thing that will force us to cancel is whether we will need to purchase a new car. My husband got t-boned on the driver's side (he's physically fine and other driver admitted fault to the officer at the scene) the night before we left for our November WDW vacation, and the initial adjuster assessment said it could be repaired; the person starting the repairs has expressed other thoughts.

Really? Thats a bit strong. Almost all of March, all of April and most of June are booked. We have no idea how booked May is. Could be 1 or 2 rooms each day and still show occupancy while 80% booked or more.
Use Disney's own metrics. They lauded the sellouts for the first four months, and have had a number of cancellations already. It's scrubbed its promotional material off of YT. There is a finite universe of people that will be able, or are willing, to pay the current prices.

I would imagine some of the recent cancellations are people who thought they might want to go but changed their mind as the cancellation deadline drew nearer. It is a very pricey hotel experience even for the 'money is no object' crowd. Always thought it would be a challenge to have those structured activities described on the official Disney website and be able to hold the interest of everyone regardless of their age.

Seems people are also recognizing the hype of prior Disney renderings of the experience aren't all they were advertised to be. The recent bumbling by Disney with removing the promotional video or that amateurish/clumsy looking front desk video seems more like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Maybe a lot of people are canceling because of travel/Omicron uncertainty too. Even if you bought the travel insurance (which I did) the situation does feel unpredictable for the next few months. I'm hoping a work conference I have this Spring doesn't get canceled again but I'm not holding my breath. Some dear friends of ours were coming to visit today and had to cancel because the kids have the (regular) flu. I don't blame people for feeling skittish when final payments come due.

Funny you ask @kimwoje as I’ve been sitting on a similar post for a couple of days unsure if I wanted to bring up the topic. But since you brought it up, here’s my post:

This is not a mask opinion post, it’s about masks and the Starcruiser experience/planning. Please keep DISBoard’s COVID posting policy in mind with any replies: https://www.disboards.com/threads/please-read-new-disboards-covid-discussion-policy.3840471/

As the non-refundable date gets closer, I’m struggling a bit when it comes to thinking about this experience under the current indoor mask policy for both guests and CMs. When I booked I had hoped things would eventually change, but as time goes on that is perhaps a fleeting possibility, at least sitting here today.

I’ve gladly visited WDW several times under every iteration of the mask policy to date - the rules are the rules, I’ll roll with whatever, it’s all good. But I’m just not sure what I think about my enthusiasm when it comes to this mostly-indoor, highly-interactive, very expensive experience and masks.

I’m not sure I’m at/or will get to a point where I would cancel solely on account of the mask policy, but it’s something I keep trying to process in my head. The thought of many of the experiences/interactions with masks, having to keep after my kids, etc, just doesn’t seem all that appealing for what I consider to be a one-time special experience. :confused3

What are everyone’s thoughts on the topic? I’m sure there are those with opposite feelings and would cancel if Disney were to in fact change their current policy - I can understand all sides.

No medical or COVID debate please.

I‘ve had the exact same thoughts. We are booked for June and I’m most likely going to cancel. We, too, have had great trips to WDW this past year with different iterations of the mask mandates, but with this quite expensive, mostly indoor, interactive experience, I think I would like to read the opening reviews and see how this plays out a bit before making a full financial commitment.

I am guessing that at least for the first 6 months of operation, everyone indoors will be wearing masks unless eating.

My party is all adults, so still going to do it. Would it be better without masks, yes, what isn't.

Well, I WAS excited, but now I've read this thread and I guess I'm not?? LOL. We're booked for March 19th, right after an actual cruise on the Fantasy. It's an extension of our cancelled March 2020 land and sea trip. We decided to risk it because it would be fun to get to be "first" to experience something --we'll see how it shakes out.

Well, I WAS excited, but now I've read this thread and I guess I'm not?? LOL. We're booked for March 19th, right after an actual cruise on the Fantasy. It's an extension of our cancelled March 2020 land and sea trip. We decided to risk it because it would be fun to get to be "first" to experience something --we'll see how it shakes out.

FWIW, I’m excited. I mean, either it’ll be totally awesome or a flaming disaster that my family uses against me for the rest of time. Seems like a win-win! :-)

I’ll probably just put the thread on ignore at some point - I’m good with setting my own expectations and hearing people’s opinions, to a point.

Its guaranteed to be something to look forward to and then to talk about for years to come. Extra cool that you’ll get to go in “fresh” without tons of spoilers and you’ll get the original experience. I’m sure things will adapt and change in some way before my September trip, but I still feel it will be a unique experience.

The only thing that would make me cancel would be if they add more Covid procedures and requirements. Other than that I think it’ll be an amazing trip and so will yours!

FWIW, I’m excited. I mean, either it’ll be totally awesome or a flaming disaster that my family uses against me for the rest of time. Seems like a win-win! :-)

I’ll probably just put the thread on ignore at some point - I’m good with setting my own expectations and hearing people’s opinions, to a point.
I'm in this camp! Nothing's going to deter me from what will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. :thumbsup2

Now I totally want to read your trip recaps! Doing a real cruise and then this experience, which will have some similar elements in that you're in a confined space with the same people, offers a unique perspective that few others will have. Take lots of notes and pics!

Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be memorable and I hope you post as many details as possible when you get back :thumbsup2

Funny you ask @kimwoje as I’ve been sitting on a similar post for a couple of days unsure if I wanted to bring up the topic. But since you brought it up, here’s my post:

This is not a mask opinion post, it’s about masks and the Starcruiser experience/planning. Please keep DISBoard’s COVID posting policy in mind with any replies: https://www.disboards.com/threads/please-read-new-disboards-covid-discussion-policy.3840471/

As the non-refundable date gets closer, I’m struggling a bit when it comes to thinking about this experience under the current indoor mask policy for both guests and CMs. When I booked I had hoped things would eventually change, but as time goes on that is perhaps a fleeting possibility, at least sitting here today.

I’ve gladly visited WDW several times under every iteration of the mask policy to date - the rules are the rules, I’ll roll with whatever, it’s all good. But I’m just not sure what I think about my enthusiasm when it comes to this mostly-indoor, highly-interactive, very expensive experience and masks.

I’m not sure I’m at/or will get to a point where I would cancel solely on account of the mask policy, but it’s something I keep trying to process in my head. The thought of many of the experiences/interactions with masks, having to keep after my kids, etc, just doesn’t seem all that appealing for what I consider to be a one-time special experience. :confused3

What are everyone’s thoughts on the topic? I’m sure there are those with opposite feelings and would cancel if Disney were to in fact change their current policy - I can understand all sides.

No medical or COVID debate please.
I would suggest that if someone’s pleasure in the experience is so fragile that wearing a mask ruins it then it probably wasn’t worth spending $7-15,000 on in the first place. I could completely agree that it is not ideal and the experiences would be better not wearing a mask, but if someone believes that this may be a tipping point in and of itself then I personally think that person should probably wait until he/she sees some reviews and has more confidence that it is worth the cost in the first place. Lot of things someone can do with that money, so anyone straddling the fence so closely should probably just hold off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter