SSR to DTD walkway closing

I have a dec trip planned, I was going to request CP for the ease to DTD. Would it be better to request a different section? If so what would be best.:confused3

Springs will be closest to the West walkway.

Yep, that's where I saw those 'regular' people walking. Dh and I have an ADR for dinner there in Sept. Maybe we'll just walk over to DTD after dinner. Should be very pleasant.

As I said in another thread, I really don't think a ton of non-SSR people are walking over to SSR from DTD to get on SSR buses to the parks. I know that whenever I took the buses (which was several times a day last Dec), I never noticed a larger than expected group of people getting on at Congress Park.
Do some people do this? Sure they do. But I doubt it's enough to cause a huge issue. It just isn't efficient use of time to drive to DTD (or walk over from one of the hotels there), then walk to SSR and wait for the buses there.

Yes at park closing time, I have seen large groups get off and start walking to DD. Some people don't care about the time invested, they just want to avoid paying to park.

Yes at park closing time, I have seen large groups get off and start walking to DD. Some people don't care about the time invested, they just want to avoid paying to park.

I stand corrected. The funny thing is that people tell me that parking at BW by non-resort guests isn't that big an issue. But if you sit on your balcony, overlooking the parking lot area, about 20 mins after IllumiNations? You will see throngs of cars pulling out of that lot!! You wake up to find many up close parking spots empty since they had been taken by non-resort people mid-afternoon the day before and then left empty around 10:30ish.
So I can imagine that there are issues at many resorts due to non-resort people using that resort for access to parks.
It amazes me to see how many people will spend so much time and effort to avoid paying $15!!

You should still be able to get around the construction by walking out the roadway (Broadway) that the Disney Downtown Bus exits. The walkway on the street (E. Beuna Vist Drive) may still be open, but if not you can cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and walk down on the other side and re-cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and enter DTD at the corner where it meets Hotel Plaza Blvd. Inconvenient but doable.

There are no crosswalks across Buena Vista Drive. You'd be dodging a lot of traffic.

That's it. You can see it in the map below, just to the right of the SSR logo in the lower left hand corner.
b_800_600_0_1___images_stories_ssr_ssr_orig_200906.jpg

Thank you for the map. We're staying at SSR in Nov. and requested the Springs area. What side of DTD does the path take you to?

Thank you for the map. We're staying at SSR in Nov. and requested the Springs area. What side of DTD does the path take you to?

That gray area at the right bottom corner is the parking lot next to Cirque du Soliel. So that is where you cross.

We'll just take our Kayaks and paddle across the lake. Fix that problem. :cool1:

Just because I may have missed a post, will the bridge from SSR to DTD be built and running before they close off the current walkway?

When we were at SSR in June, we saw some guys surveying the area for the bridge, but, they didn't know a time frame.

This activity might also explain why they filled in the marshy area on the DTD side next to the busstops a few years ago. They are going to need that extra room!

WOW!

I'm bummed to here this. During both stays at SSR my family spent a lot of time at DTD and used the walkway a lot.

Isn't there supposed to be a bridge directly across the water once Disney Springs is complete?

Effective 7/8/13, the walkway between SSR Congress Park and DTD Marketplace will be closing for Disney Springs construction. A walkway will reopen after construction, but no anticipated reopening date has been announced.

In the meantime, there is still the little-known walkway between SSR and DTD West Side. It starts behind the Artist's Palette, crossing the water on the golf cart bridge. There are also boats to the West Side Dock starting at 10 a.m., and Disney Transport bus service.

Good to know. I need to call DVC right now and change request from Congress Park to the Springs. We leave Friday.

Just because I may have missed a post, will the bridge from SSR to DTD be built and running before they close off the current walkway?

When we were at SSR in June, we saw some guys surveying the area for the bridge, but, they didn't know a time frame.
The walkway is closing this week.

The cast advisory mentions a pedestrian bridge opening summer of 2014, but I'm not sure whether that was referring to a bridge between DTD & SSR, or the bridge from PI to MktPl

You should still be able to get around the construction by walking out the roadway (Broadway) that the Disney Downtown Bus exits. The walkway on the street (E. Beuna Vist Drive) may still be open, but if not you can cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and walk down on the other side and re-cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and enter DTD at the corner where it meets Hotel Plaza Blvd. Inconvenient but doable.

Does anyone know where this 'construction' is going to be? Is it going to affect guests staying in Congress Park area? I think the potential noise/spoilt views etc is as important (if not more so) than the closed walkway. Is the quiet pool (for instance) going to be plagued with noise and construction vehicles?

Disney obviously had this planned for months (or years more likely) seems really unfair that guests get to know a few days before when there is nothing they can do about it....

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup2 We usually request Grandstand and walk the other path that comes out at Cirque. Never see anyone else on the path. That was also part of my early morning walking loop. Leave Grandstand, come out at Cirque and walk DTD then path to Congress Park back to Grandstand. Oh well. I'm just happy to be going to Disney. As long as I have a quiet balcony I don't care what section I am in.:goodvibes

The walkway is closing this week.

The cast advisory mentions a pedestrian bridge opening summer of 2014, but I'm not sure whether that was referring to a bridge between DTD & SSR, or the bridge from PI to MktPl

Oh well :)

Our next SSR stay is in May, we'll make it work. We have bikes too. (as I think they would frown on the kayaks in the lake.

:sad2:

I walk OKW to DTD once or twice every trip. This will be missed.

WOW!

I'm bummed to here this. During both stays at SSR my family spent a lot of time at DTD and used the walkway a lot.

Isn't there supposed to be a bridge directly across the water once Disney Springs is complete?

Yes, it is going to really nice. It will be set back from the roadway on that end of the lake.

:sad2:

I walk OKW to DTD once or twice every trip. This will be missed.

Why? You can still do that. You just can't walk along Buena Vista Drive to the bus stop at the Marketplace from Congress Park.

Hi, I'm going to be in SSR for 12 nights starting next friday. I have never even visited the resort before so I was hoping someone could explain my options now that the bridge has closed.

I know I can walk on the bridge by west side but that seems like a LONG walk over to marketplace!

I can also see that there is a boat once an hour. Will they make this more frequent during the closure? Does it stop at marketplace.

Last question, is there a bus or any other way to get to DTD?

Thanks! :)

Hi, I'm going to be in SSR for 12 nights starting next friday. I have never even visited the resort before so I was hoping someone could explain my options now that the bridge has closed.

I know I can walk on the bridge by west side but that seems like a LONG walk over to marketplace!

I can also see that there is a boat once an hour. Will they make this more frequent during the closure? Does it stop at marketplace.

Last question, is there a bus or any other way to get to DTD?

Thanks! :)

The boats from OKW and SSR dock at Pleasure Island near the balloon launch site. You can take a shuttle boat from that dock to the Marketplace dock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter