SSR to DTD walkway closing

joelkfla

DIS Veteran
Effective 7/8/13, the walkway between SSR Congress Park and DTD Marketplace will be closing for Disney Springs construction. A walkway will reopen after construction, but no anticipated reopening date has been announced.

In the meantime, there is still the little-known walkway between SSR and DTD West Side. It starts behind the Artist's Palette, crossing the water on the golf cart bridge. There are also boats to the West Side Dock starting at 10 a.m., and Disney Transport bus service.

Thanks for the heads up! We won't be there til Oct 29 but I am doubtful it will be open by then.

From what I'm reading, this is not a short term closure. The walkway will be closed until construction is complete which is probably 2016. I believe the plans call for a new walkway in that area that's not directly along side the roadway.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/02jul2013-walkway-between-disney's-saratoga-springs-and-downtown-disney-to-close-next-week.htm#.UdLl81zsFl8.twitter

I wouldn't be surprised if its a long term multi year closure. I'm just glad I know so I don't head in that direction over the next few trips! Lol

And that is going to screw up all the non-SSR people who ride the SSR to get to DTD (and DTD parking) or the DTD Hotels. :rotfl2:

Very interesting, thanks for the heads up....we will be there the beginning of October.

And that is going to screw up all the non-SSR people who ride the SSR to get to DTD (and DTD parking) or the DTD Hotels. :rotfl2:

Going along with this idea, what I think will be interesting is to see how full the buses are compared to how they were beforehand. One way is to see the impressions of people who go to SSR at the same time every year-for example, someone who goes every mid-October judges how full the buses are this mid-October compared to previous years.

Kind of funny though!!!
Well, I'm staying there in Dec and planning on spending some time in DTD with my ds and his wife. I think they might actually like the new walk since we'll be heading to Cirque!! Is it going to be easy to find?? I know that I did see 'regular' people (not golfers) heading down to the left, and across a little bridge, behind the main bldg. wonder if that's the walkway.

Is it going to be easy to find?? I know that I did see 'regular' people (not golfers) heading down to the left, and across a little bridge, behind the main bldg. wonder if that's the walkway.

That's it. You can see it in the map below, just to the right of the SSR logo in the lower left hand corner.
b_800_600_0_1___images_stories_ssr_ssr_orig_200906.jpg

\Is it going to be easy to find?? I know that I did see 'regular' people (not golfers) heading down to the left, and across a little bridge, behind the main bldg. wonder if that's the walkway.

That's it. You can see it in the map below, just to the right of the SSR logo in the lower left hand corner.
There's a little path thru the woods from the back of the registration parking, that goes down to it & the boat dock, passing the golf pro shop on the way.

There's also a long stairway out the back of Artist's Palette, where the package pickup is (or used to be -- I haven't been there for a couple of years.)

Quite bummed about this. We stay at SSR for two weeks in October each year and that walk is one of our favorite things to do. We do it easily every other day, sometimes every day, whether going to Earl's, or Ghiardelli's or just checking out new merchandise. The other way is nice too but from Congress Park not as quick and easy. Guess we'll do the boat a little more often though since it also goes to the West Side only we might as well walk.
Oh well, in the long run it will be worth it!

:thumbsup2 which is VERY good....(something needs to be done about that IMO) however this hurts SSR guests in the meantime

b_800_600_0_1___images_stories_ssr_ssr_orig_200906.jpg

There's a little path thru the woods from the back of the registration parking, that goes down to it & the boat dock, passing the golf pro shop on the way.

There's also a long stairway out the back of Artist's Palette, where the package pickup is (or used to be -- I haven't been there for a couple of years.)

Yep, that's where I saw those 'regular' people walking. Dh and I have an ADR for dinner there in Sept. Maybe we'll just walk over to DTD after dinner. Should be very pleasant.

As I said in another thread, I really don't think a ton of non-SSR people are walking over to SSR from DTD to get on SSR buses to the parks. I know that whenever I took the buses (which was several times a day last Dec), I never noticed a larger than expected group of people getting on at Congress Park.
Do some people do this? Sure they do. But I doubt it's enough to cause a huge issue. It just isn't efficient use of time to drive to DTD (or walk over from one of the hotels there), then walk to SSR and wait for the buses there.

You should still be able to get around the construction by walking out the roadway (Broadway) that the Disney Downtown Bus exits. The walkway on the street (E. Beuna Vist Drive) may still be open, but if not you can cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and walk down on the other side and re-cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and enter DTD at the corner where it meets Hotel Plaza Blvd. Inconvenient but doable.

can you still go from Congress park to DTD via the entance ie the pavement way the buses go in
You should still be able to get around the construction by walking out the roadway (Broadway) that the Disney Downtown Bus exits. The walkway on the street (E. Beuna Vist Drive) may still be open, but if not you can cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and walk down on the other side and re-cross E. Beuna Vist Drive and enter DTD at the corner where it meets Hotel Plaza Blvd. Inconvenient but doable.
There are no sidewalks along Broadway in the block between Congress Park and the back gate. I'd be nervous about walking up there, even though there isn't much traffic through that gate.

I was very sad to see this . We are booked at AKL this time and almost changed it to stay at SSR .

Believe it or not that Walkway is my go to for my grand kids : ) Short walk to take them shopping and to gran them a snack at EOS.

I have a dec trip planned, I was going to request CP for the ease to DTD. Would it be better to request a different section? If so what would be best.:confused3

That was the plan, they will wandering around trying to figure out how to get over to SSR. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter