SSR or AKL for family trip?

Omoreno

Earning My Ears
We’re planning an extended family group vacation for January 2025. My mother in law will be renting points for a room for her, and we will be booking a room for my family and my brother in laws family.

We’re looking at booking a two bedroom. 4 adults (2 sets of parents) and 3 toddlers/infants ages 2 and a half, 11 months, and 5 months.

We are looking to be budget friendly on this trip so we are looking into SSR or AKL? Anyone have any suggestions for one over the other? We aren’t worried about buses.

Here are the pros I am thinking of both-

SSR

Pro-
Beautiful rooms
Could walk to DS at night or boat
Pools seem great for kids

Cons-
Theming is not overtly fun for kids

AKL-

Pro-
Animals for young kids could be fun
Good splash pad
Fun theming
Good dining on site

Cons-
Far from a lot
Walk from kidani to jambo?
Rooms are dated

Last edited:
If it were me I'd book AKL. The kids will love the pools and animals. Plus the 3rd bathroom in a Kidani 2bd would be great. Both will require buses everywhere. The walk from Kidani to Jambo isn't long at all. Could end up just as far as the walk to the Carriage house at SSR.

I agree with booking Kidani. With four adults and three very young kids, that third bathroom will be very useful, I’m sure. And the walk to Jambo is 10-15 minutes, but there’s also a shuttle that runs constantly between them, not to mention that you can hop a park bus at Kidani and get off at Jambo.

I own at AKV & am biased. If you go w/ Kidani (I personally prefer Jambo - but we never need the 3rd bathroom or the dedicated 2 br., which in your situation is a better fit) have MS note that you & your MIL are traveling together & want villas near each other since Kidani is so big.
I’d also keep an eye on the refurb. schedule since AKV is due for a refurb. in 2025.

SSR

Cons-
Theming is over the top.
Gotta admit, you have to literally be the first person since the refurb to suggest the theming at SSR is "over the top", especially compared to the non-refurbed AKV rooms. Probably 90% of people specifically commenting on SSR rooms complain that they are too generic, too bland, too much like an airport Marriott, etc. Some suggest there is no theming at all any more in the rooms, and that the exterior theming and grounds look like any apartment or condo complex in central Florida..

Gotta admit, you have to literally be the first person since the refurb to suggest the theming at SSR is "over the top", especially compared to the non-refurbed AKV rooms. Probably 90% of people specifically commenting on SSR rooms complain that they are too generic, too bland, too much like an airport Marriott, etc. Some suggest there is no theming at all any more in the rooms, and that the exterior theming and grounds look like any apartment or condo complex in central Florida..
Well, to be fair, SSR has always looked like an apartment complex/condo buildings to me 😂.

Meant to say it’s not over the top, which I personally like! But, I think for little kids it’s a bit less fun.

I also own at Kidani, so I'm a bit biased towards AKL, but as a 35yo I was pretty enamored with the magic of AKL, so I can't imagine how incredible it'd feel to a child. It's a beautiful resort, and being able to see the animals is really special.

Also the walk from Kidani to Jambo isn't terrible, but there's also a small shuttle bus that goes back and forth between the 2 lobbies about ever 15-20 minutes or so. We used that when we needed to get between the two wings of the resort and it worked great.

We stayed at a 2BR Savanna View which my kids loved and then we took a tour of a 2BR at SSR which my wife thought was pretty good because of proximity to Disney Springs. If just one, I think AKL, but if a split stay is in the cards … why not both …

Definitely AKL. The only thing (IMO) that SSR is close to is Disney Springs. My kids never want to go there. It's just shopping and dining. Good for adults, of course.

AKL will keep them entertained while at the resort. It is beautiful. We have stayed there with 2 kids and the bus ride was not an issue although you do have to fold up the stroller (not a huge deal for us). The shuttle to Jambo is always there and is very quick. You could also walk.

I do agree the need for refurb at AKL is there. If you are picking between 2 "non-park" resorts, I'm AKL.

I guess I will be the one to offer a different view. We have stayed at both and while the animals are great, we didn't like AK at all. Seemed dark. Hated the smells. And we weren't a fan of any of the sit down restaurants. Just wasn't our cup of tea. Have stayed the last two years since the refurb at SSR and would rate the rooms second to the Riv for overall satisfaction. Every inch of the 2br villa's are great. Love the two murphy's in the living room. And we always get preferred location so we can walk ten minutes to all the restaurants of Springs. Busses are busses and we don't see a transportation difference between the two.

I own at AKV so that’s my obvious pick. There is no comparison. AKV can be picked up and placed in any part of the US and be a top resort. I cannot say the same for SSR. Some of the best restaurants on property are at AKV. The biggest complaint I hear for AKV is the distance from everything. Honestly, that’s one of the biggest pros in my opinion. I want to be away from everything when I leave the parks to relax and enjoy the resort. The music, architecture, food, great staff, etc. I have nothing bad to say about this resort.

Everyone who voted for AKV aren't wrong, but I'm going to vote SSR.

The kids are too young to appreciate AKV. Additionally, I assume you're thinking of AKV Standard and not Savannah view since you said budget friendly. As a non-owner of AKV, I will only stay there for a Savannah View to enjoy the animals outside my own room. To be in a standard room across the hall from all the Savannahs is a giant tease. I would rather just be at one of my home resorts.

What are you thoughts about OKW? Point charts are comparable, rooms are spacious, water taxi available to DS and super short bus ride to Epcot.

The kids are too young to appreciate AKV.

This was my initial reaction too. There’s plenty of years ahead where that will matter more. Of course part of the magic is watching their joy, but at this stage the adults’ interests and logistics will impact the trip more. So I’d include exciting things for both groups and how well those may work.

Still may end up being AKL :)

I agree with the young age of the kids sentiment. I'd probably put a bit more weight towards where the adults want to stay. An empty 2-liter bottle might be more interesting to a kid than resort theming :).

OP also mentioned budget minded ... and d-trick mentioned OKW as similar cost ... in that line if thinking - while you can't book them yet, the cabins at ft. wilderness should be running by vacation time. Point charts aren't out yet, but the initial filings show aggregate is ~21 pts per night. You might get 2 of these for real close to 2BR rate!

I'd still get your AKL/SSR choice locked in, but if the FW cabin vibe is your thing, it might be something think about as more info comes online!

Good Luck
Have fun!

VAKL - but I'd go somewhere other than Disney before I'd stay at SSR. The "non-themed apartment feel" of the resort is not why I go to Disney. (And frankly, the increasing standardization of rooms is why we haven't been to WDW in five years - because all the resorts are starting to feel like SSR and what we like about staying on property is the immersiveness of being "somewhere else").

But here is what I'd recommend, read this (which is leaning to VAKL) and if your reaction is "I'd rather stay at SSR" then book that. If you read this and think, "yeah, that feels right" than book VAKL. Because it really doesn't matter that I don't want to stay at SSR, what matters is that you might.

(I agree that the kids are too young to care, book for the adults).

We’re looking at booking a two bedroom. 4 adults (2 sets of parents) and 3 toddlers/infants ages 2 and a half, 11 months, and 5 months.

We are looking to be budget friendly on this trip
What are you thoughts about OKW? Point charts are comparable, rooms are spacious, water taxi available to DS and super short bus ride to Epcot.
Good idea that if you're considering SSR, you may also consider OKW.

I would go with SSR. There is a lot of open grass space for the kiddos to run around on at SSR. Just keep an eye on them because there is also a lot of water around some of those open grass spaces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter