SSH! Don't tell! Bought souviniers on Ebay!

I think that it is nice of you to get her the bracelets. :thumbsup2 It was a thoughtful idea even if you didn't purchase it "in" Disney. She will love it and you still thought of her when you bought it. I am thinking of saving money and pre-buying some gifts/souvenirs. Besides that isn't this the "Budget Board" and saving money is what we do here right??? ::yes::

I don't like to get souvineers from other people's vacation. It has no meaning to me.

My daughter will maybe get a shirt or jewellery, my son would rather have cash, my husband a shotglass and me- Christmas ornament.

I don't understand why people need to buy sovineers for people not even on the trip :confused3

ceecee said:
What's the difference...gift or sovie? It's the THOUGHT that counts. OP just wants to do something nice....Geez!:confused3

I agree!

OP, I don't see anything wrong with getting the bracelets, especially since you said these are for the odds&ends kind of people (dog sitter, etc), buying gifts can really add up when there's lots of folks like that to buy for.

Yikes! I say thanks to the OP for sharing the idea on the Budget Board for helping people save money this way if they choose. Sadly, more people don't just ignore when they don't like an idea instead of slamming people. This board is about sharing not criticizing every little thing...

Yikes! I say thanks to the OP for sharing the idea on the Budget Board for helping people save money this way if they choose. Sadly, more people don't just ignore when they don't like an idea instead of slamming people. This board is about sharing not criticizing every little thing...

To be fair, the OP did ask if she was going too far. In my opinion, buying something ahead of time and presenting it as if you bought it for them on vacation is going too far. Either buy something small on vacation, or buy something for them ahead of time and tell them you wanted to give them a little token of affection. Do not buy something ahead and pass it off as a gift you picked up on vacation. That is dishonest.

Disney does have budget friendly items for sale.

I see nothing wrong with buying your own kids gifts "from Tink". Honestly, what's the difference? That Mickey bracelet in the OP's post was adorable.

I don't like to get souvineers from other people's vacation. It has no meaning to me.

My daughter will maybe get a shirt or jewellery, my son would rather have cash, my husband a shotglass and me- Christmas ornament.

I don't understand why people need to buy sovineers for people not even on the trip :confused3

I couldn't agree more with you. Most souvenirs are useless (regardless were they are bought) and end up in the trash anyway. I love Disney but I won't wear a mickey bracelet unless I am in Disney. The best souvenirs I ever got was cooking utensils from WDW, because it is actually useful.

First, I love the bracelet and think I'm going to buy a couple for stocking stuffers. Second, I think the OP is extremely thoughtful. Third, I can't understand why some people aren't happy unless the are criticizing others. :confused3

I think it looks pretty in the picture. Please let us know how it looks in person. Do you have boxes to put them in? They're probably going to come wrapped in plastic in an envelope.

Now, although I think it's pretty, and it was nice of you to buy gifts for those people...I do not think it's a souvenir of your Disney trip. When I opened the thread I at least thought you were going to say you purchased Disney World official merchandise on ebay. That's still not really a souvenir in my book, but it's pretty close since it would be the exact same stuff you'd get while you were there.

After all the hoopla about buying Disney pins from Ebay that are scrappers...it's authenticity is more my concern than if the souvenir came from the park or not. If it ships from Hong Kong..who produced it? Is it really a Disney item or a knock off? Was it a legitamate item stolen from a shipment meant for the US? To me, that's the bigger question. You may be buying stolen or copyright infringed items.

I did Tink gifts for my girls on our WDW vacation last October. It was a lot of fun and I didn't break the bank on souvenirs. The plush Mickey that "Tink" left for my then 4 year old daughter was less than half the cost of the exact same ones sold in the parks. The three plush princess dolls were something like 3.98 a piece at Walgreens on sale. "Tink" also brought two princess outfits purchased on sale last summer from the Disney Store for only $24.99 each (Belle and Cinderella) to wear for princess dinners and the BBB. I purchased light up wands to match the outfits and a few other things for... FREE! using the bonus disney store gift cards that came with the disney gift cards they were selling last year at Sams. My then 4 year old was enchanted and I am so glad I did it this way. She didn't ask for anything in the parks except a balloon (which we purchased) because she knew "Tink" was coming that night while she was asleep. We were on a budget last year on vacation because our oldest daughter was starting college this year. We stayed within the budget and, just having paid my daughter's tuition, room and board bill for her first semester in college, I am very glad we did.

OP, I think what you did is fine. It's a gift, it doesn't have to be a souvenir. It doesn't matter where it came from.

I LOVE it! Bought 2, one for me and one for my SIL for our trip next month.

She will love it!

thank you OP, great find :thumbsup2

I think there's a difference between buying stuff for the kids to have while AT the World to save money/not be hassled for stuff constantly and buying stuff off ebay for people at home and passing it off as souveniers of the trip.

I think the latter is disingenuous at best. I wouldn't do that - has nothing to do with the money. I'd bring someone back an autograph and pin or something before I'd do that.

I support it OP. I buy glow necklaces from Amazon every yr and bring back pins/hats/books from previous yrs.. I am not ripping anyone off. I am spending smarter. I wouldn't buy metals from Hong Kong due to Cadmium for children; however adults are not going to eat them. I think any gift is nicer than nothing.. and I would rather have a 6$ gorgeous bracelet than a 6$ Rice crispy Mickey treat, or a 6$ pin. I think you are able to give more bang for your buck.

I was wondering how long it tool to get them ? I am ordering a few for my cruise coming up in Feb I thought FE gifts that would be super cute and not break the bank , but I thought about getting one for my DD for our Oct trip .

I think you are very kind to think of the dog sitter :hug:

I bring back my staff magnets every year and put them with a Starbucks card to thank them for keeping everything running smooth while I am away .
Last year I just doubled the gift card amount and they asked where their magnets were ???LOL seems that my trip to Disney every year makes them happy because they get different magnets to hold stuff on the fridge . WHO KNEW ? :rotfl:

I wear a pair of gold Mickey earrings I bought at Wal-mart in Orlando. It is funny when people ask where I got them I say Florida and they all think they are from WDW.

I like the bracelet and while I don't buy for many people when on vacation, it is definitely the thought that counts.

Thanks for looking after "_______" and hand the person the gift, nothing further is necessary.

Yes, that is the same bracelet. I ordered it Aug 8 and got it Aug 22. A bit of time, but not bad. Trip isnt till Sept 16th. Well sorry if I offended the shopping snobs, but thanks all for the support. Would noth ave handed a gift to someone and told a lie on where it came from, but I will be giving it with, as some said, "This is a thanks for...." And anything thing I could have bought in the parks for $6 or less would have looked too cheap to me. I am happy with my choice and may continue to shop for other things the same way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter