SSH! Don't tell! Bought souviniers on Ebay!

I can now say I have heard it all. The implication with a thank you gift having Disney on it when returning from Disney is that you got it at the World. Not using the word Disney when you hand it over is not changing the implication that the gift travelled from Florida. Just give a coffee gift card.

Is this going too far?[/url]

You asked...so yes, to me it's going too far for a couple of reasons.

1. To me a souvineer is a memory from the trip. With this line of thinking, it would be impossible to know what might be the right remembrance ahead of time. When my kids were small, I wanted to teach them that the trip was the special part and didn't want them to expect lots of stuff by giving them daily gifts. It worked for us, they weren't beggars and still are pretty discerning when shopping on a trip.

2. I just don't understand bringing others souvineers from my vacation. I don't want souvies from other's trips. To me, if I wasn't on the trip then it has no meaning. Years ago, it might have been different since you could buy something that they would have no way of getting on their own. As this thread illustrates, the Internet has made the world much smaller. If you want Disney merchandise you can get it anytime. One exception, growing up my mom always ended a day at Disneyland with fudge from the Main Street candy store so I still bring her fudge because it is a memory.

DD16 just pet sat for friends on vacation. They paid her $100 for 9 days of pet sitting. Much better than a souvineer.

If you are only giving a $6 give to the person who walked your dogs then it is a cheap gift. If this was in addition to what you would pay them in cash, then it is a nice extra.

Do you know what dog walkers get paid. We have a dog walker on this sit who makes six figures.

I don't think it's a big deal buying them off eBay.

The big deal is that these gifts are cheap, imitation productions and not authentic. I'd personally be embarrassed to give cheap knock offs as a gift, but that's just me.

This is exactly why companies like Disney fight so hard to get the knock offs off the market: you are going to give these garbage gifts to people, not tell them they are imitation products, the products are going to fall apart in a matter of months, and they are going think that it's a poor quality Disney product and falsely associate Disney with bad quality. Or, even worse, attempt to get the product repair only to be humiliated when they are told its fake.

It has nothing to do with how much something costs. As I said before, you can buy something small that actually came from WDW, and have it really be a souvenir. You don't have to pre-order off of Ebay and pass it off as coming from WDW.

A souvenir is something brought back from a trip. It means something thought of you while on vacation. It shouldn't be ordered ahead of time. Then it isn't a souvenir.

It is nice to give people gifts. But to pass them off as being from someplace they are not is just wrong, imho. And saying shh don't tell sure seems to say that is the OP intends to pass them of as being from WDW. How about the OP give them before the trip and say "Here is a little something from me to you"? Then there is no subterfuge, no question of it being a souvenir when it is not.

They didn't go to WDW, the person who is giving them the gift went to WDW. The same quality item at WDW would be much more expensive. She wanted to do something nice for someone that helped make her trip a reality.

Wrapping up the bracelet, gifting it, with a heartfelt thank you, is all that needs to be said. I would certainly be pleased!!

Also, this is not to contradict your opinion, it is my opinion, just as you have yours. Luckily, we are all entitled to our own opinions. ;)

I think that is a great souvenir and a fantastic way to save some $$$. When my son was younger, I would buy Disney products (t shirts, fleece blankets, light up toys, etc) and make a nice gift basket. I would get room service to deliver it to our room as a "gift from Mickey Mouse". He was always excited no matter whether the gifts were bought at WDW or before hand. Saved me a ton of $$$ and he had a special gift.

I've bought actual WDW souvies on sale at laughing place store online on clearance which were the exact same ones sold in the parks...

Did it save money? yes... Did people give a poopie that I didn't get them AT the world ? uhhhhh no... Does it matter? I guess if you are THAT into cheap chinese made keychains and nick nacks? :confused3

DD had a classmate in elementary school that went to Hawaii and brought back stickers and candy for everyone in the class. The kids loved it, but one of the mom's got angry because why would her child want anything from a place they didn't visit! I couldn't believe that she said that.

Also, according to the Unofficial Guide to Disney World book..There is a park outlet store in one of the local malls in Orlando , if I remember correctly. So technically you can get stuff sold in parks for cheaper...

Though after the past few trips, I stopped buying souvies because well... I couldn't justify paying that much for cheap plastic crap that gets lost in everyone's junk drawer anymore. :thumbsup2

I think that's a great idea OP! and I LOVE that bracelet!

I'm all about saving money, besides, souvenirs you buy on vacation mean a lot to you because it was your vacation. They will mean less to someone that didn't go, unless they love Disney lol.

Is it an actual authentic Disney product- or just copied?

I wasn't aware WDW sold counterfeit merchandise.

Never said that Disney sells counterfeit merchandise, not sure how you thought I even meant that.

I am saying that if you bought a bracelet on Main Street Disneyland or Walt Disney World, it would be more expensive, more than likely, then the same item purchased elsewhere. This of course is if it is the same quality. OP stated it was heavy and well made.

In ex:http://www.swarovski.com/Web_US/en/...bTT5IgwBTQif7mPC8PYUA==?BannerID=04000660.200

I have seen very similar items at shops at WDW
http://www.disneystore.com/jewelry-...mouse-necklace-by-arribas/mp/1282269/1000295/

Again, only my opinion and the thought is most certainly what counts!! Nice gesture OP!!

I thought I would save some cash (Lord knows a WDW vacation costs enough!) and some shopping time and stress and looked on Ebay for Disney stuff. Bought 2 of these bracelets for $5.99 each, with free shipping, for like the dog sitter, etc. Supposed to be Swarovski crystal. Got them today, and they feel kinda heavy, not cheap. Is this going too far?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FUCHSI...1554553748241700965&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

I wouldn't present it as a souvenir but rather a gift. Although, if you are going away any longer than an overnight I think $6 is inadequate for someone who is taking care of your pet. The bracelet looks like something a tween-aged girl would like so I am hoping that is the age bracket you are having look after your dogs. Anyone older and cash is king.

I see nothing wrong with buying the bracelet now and giving it as a thank you gift after your trip. I also don't see the big deal in getting some souvies in a drug store or Walmart when you are in Orlando.

When the Disney Store online had a 25% off clearance sale a few weeks ago, I got T-shirts for my best friend's three kids - they will be watching my dogs when we are on vacation in October - and even if I told her I bought them before we left, I don't think she'd give a darn. I just don't see the big deal. Do you ask to see receipts to prove someone bought you a souvie from their actual vacation port of call, or do you just graciously accept the gift?

I stand with the OP. I went in May for my granddaughters 4th birthday. I bought everything before the trip. Sweatshirt, toys stuffed animals. She thought is all came from Mickey and the princesses. The other grandma spent 27 dollars a piece on stuffed animals. I got a giraffe at Kohls for 5 bucks and after she left the room, I put it out with a note. We did AK that day. Was so cool to see her reaction. Some people want to do special things and can not afford WDW prices. It is the thought that counts. I was told "You can NOT buy her anything in disney", I payed for most of the trip. Well, I didn't buy her one thing while we were there, but she sure got a lot from me, I just did not buy it there.:dance3:

I thought I would save some cash (Lord knows a WDW vacation costs enough!) and some shopping time and stress and looked on Ebay for Disney stuff. Bought 2 of these bracelets for $5.99 each, with free shipping, for like the dog sitter, etc. Supposed to be Swarovski crystal. Got them today, and they feel kinda heavy, not cheap. Is this going too far?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PINK-FUCHSI...1554553748241700965&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&
I'm thinking that it's not Swarovski and probably a cheap metal setting for that price and the location of the seller.

I'm not big into purchasing "souvenirs" before the trip. They aren't really souvenirs in the strictest sense of the word. However, if you're looking for a small token of appreciation for someone who has done something for you while you were away, there is no need to buy something with Mickey Mouse on it in Disney World for those people. I do hope that the bracelet isn't the only thing that you are giving the dog sitter. I would consider it to be poor compensation for the responsibility of looking after a family pet for a week.

To clarify, the dog sitter is paid very well. It is a friend who would charge nothing, but that is unacceptable. My adult son will be living in the house while we are gone, so the sitter will be letting the dog out a couple of times a day while he is at work. And being a Springer Spaniel, she is not too difficult to deal with!

I think the latter is disingenuous at best. I wouldn't do that - has nothing to do with the money. I'd bring someone back an autograph and pin or something before I'd do that.

I'd much rather prefer to receive the bracelet than an autograph!

As someone who often does favors for others with no expectation of anything in return... I'm touched when someone does do/get me something. I don't care how much it cost or where it came from - but please I'd much rather appreciate something I can do something with. An autograph? What would I do with that?

I think it's one thing when kids go get autographs - its a memory of the experience of meeting that character. An autograph in an of itself is really just a "friend" of a character writing the characters name. That seems silly to give to someone who has done you a favor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter