Squeezing Quarters Til the Eagle Screams..a May 2010 PTR! 4/9 Update!!

Good for you getting a tax refund. I hope we get some back too.

Yeah, the t-shirt is a little snarky but I like it. I bet most people would just chuckle at it. For those who don't, then it's just too bad. Have they gone through what you've gone through? I don't think so!

True, true...I'm thinking I might just let my snark flag fly! :laughing:

You have what I call the "daycare snots". That's what I always called those colds that my kids got from daycare.

Daycare snots! :lmao: That's a great name for it. Isn't it funny that I don't get them from my DD until she's almost 21 and working at a daycare? At least she's suffering along with me. :p I gotta thank mom again for watching Somer when she was a baby.

Holy cow :eek: That's quite the hospital bill. Sometimes I complain about our health care system here but really, we're pretty darn lucky. I can't imagine how much coin it would have taken to pay for getting my appendix out!

So sorry to hear about all the crazyness you've been going through! I hope it gets better. At least you're still going to Disney :hug:

Hey, I didn't realize before but you're arriving the day I'm leaving. Too bad

Wow! It's been awhile since I posted. I guess life got in the way a bit.

Last week was pretty miserable. I'm feeling better physically - not having as much bone pain as before. So that's good. But I've been just heartsick for Somer. Poor thing has had a really bad week. And, hence, so have I. Don't you just hate it when your kids are hurting & there's really nothing you can do to make it better?

Here's the story:

After being single for about 6 months, she finally agreed to go out with a guy who had been persuing her since last April. They started dating back in early December. After a few weeks of dating, he asked if they could be exclusive. His words were "Will you let me be your boyfriend so I can treat you like a goddess as you deserve?" Yeah, smooth talker! Anyhoo - they were spending loads of time together & she had really started to fall for him in a big way. He'd taken her to meet his family several times - even extended family out of town for a weekend. He talked about the future with her. They laughed alot & seemed really happy together. He came over Sunday afternoon & spent some time with the family. Things seemed normal.

Then Monday morning while she's at work - BAM! - he sends her a text that says he found himself wanting to say "I love you" over the weekend & this scared him so he wanted to have a few days apart to see how he felt. :sad2: She decided that this was ok, he was sure to come around.

Then Wednesday (after letting her hang there for a couple of days) he sends another text saying he's decided to break it off with her because he's not ready to feel what he's feeling. She's the perfect girlfriend, yadayadayada. What the heck?!? :confused: And what's with the chicken sh!t way of using text instead of making the time to talk in person with your girlfriend? It just steams my behind!

She was so hurt! :sad1:

All week he continued to send her texts with things like "You opened up a part of me I haven't had in years." "I don't want to lose you." "I want us to be good friends & I want to know you'll still be around." She told me yesterday that he sent his usual "Good morning, beautiful." text & this really made her angry.

She told him not to send any more texts like that to her. He acts confused as to why she wouldn't want him acting mushy with her. :headache: She tells him that it hurts to read that when he's broken up with her & she's hurting.

He tells her he'd like to know that one day he could come back & she'd be there for him. Yeah, right, buddy! She told him no way would she do that & how could he be so callous to think he could "have his cake & eat it too" especially when she'd been through that before with her ex-fiancee & he knew it. He continued to tell her how she was the best girlfriend he's ever had. How everything she is was just so perfect. Well, why did you break it off then, jerk? :mad: He's not ready for committment. Ugh!

I'm so proud of her for standing up for herself! She's had a long history of letting guys treat her badly - I think a leftover from her tangled relationship with her father. I've been working on these issues with her her whole life - counseling, etc. - but she's still got a lot of things messed up as far as being a codependent & trying to make everything perfect for guys so they'll love her. LOTS of history here. But I think she's making progress. I hope so anyway.

Yesterday we were shopping for some stuff at Wal Mart & she says she wants to look at the Valentine's stuff. While looking around at all the hearts & candy & I Love You teddy bears, she tells me in this small voice, "Mom, Adam's "beautiful" text really hurt." "I'm not sure any guy will ever think I'm beautiful again. I don't know that I'll ever find a guy that I can love who will love me back & treat me well. Do you?"

Dang it! I hate when she doubts herself like this! :headache:

I told her that of course she'd find someone some day that would find her beautiful & appreciate all her good qualities.

She's so easily hurt & discouraged. It just breaks my heart. I wish I could make her see herself for the wonderful person she is. I wish I could scour the earth & find her prince charming for her. But, I can't. I can only try to reassure her & hope she learns to truly love herself without needing reassurance from a guy or anyone else.

I'm thankful that she'll talk to me about stuff. There was a time where she was with a guy who was verbally & mentally abusive. They were together 2 1/2 years. He was her first love & first serious boyfriend.

I knew he was being abusive. Not physically, but in SO many other ways. He made her feel worthless. I couldn't get her to see what was happening. No one could. And we all tried. She shut down & wouldn't talk to me about anything. For a l-o-n-g time. It nearly crushed me.

This was when things were really touch & go health-wise for me & I was terrified I was going to die while she was still caught in this obsession & she'd never get herself out.

He had pretty much alienated her from every family member, every friend, her church, her social network, everything. This was the worst time of my life. It's been a year now since she finally broke things off with him. And about 6 months since she's really started to work out a lot of the issues this relationship left behind for her.

But now she's better at talking things out with me & with her best friend, Abbie. She still withholds from sharing with me some things. But I know she talks to her friends, so that makes it easier to bear. I try to just be there for her when she's ready. But I'll tell you, it just breaks my heart. I know she can't go through life without getting hurt. I know there's lessons she needs to learn in the painful things that happen. I just wish she could catch a break. :guilty:

Ok, I've given you a thoroughly non-Disney update & vented in my longwinded way. Sorry about that.

I'm going to try to write a new update by tomorrow with more of our plans & excitement about Disney. There's really nothing like planning these trips to get us excited & out of the blues. :thumbsup2 I'm thinking the next update will be about our Disney crafts! We always do a few crafts in anticipation of our trip.

Here's one we do every year: Disney pillowcases! We like to take them on the trips & also they make a great memento of past trips. In our flashback photos, I'll show you some from previous years:

Mine from 2008:
3333455374_826366881b_b.jpg

Mine from 2009:
3381965865_aec3113065_b.jpg

Somer's from 2008:
3332693463_550cdd76ae_b.jpg

Somer's from 2009:
3381982427_a1af743081_b.jpg

Hey Dawn I'm joining in and I had to comment on this post. Reading this reminded me of what happened to my DD 2 years ago. She was engaged and even though I didn't think they should get married it wasn't my choice. He was going to go to Disney with us in May 08 and he broke up with Amanda 3 or 4 weeks before we went. He said some things to Amanda that made it sound like he wanted her to hang around just in case the free time didn't work out for him :scared1:. She told him "No way" and she moved on and is now engaged to a very nice guy. I hope everything works our for her.

BTW loving the PTR :thumbsup2

Hey Dawn!

Sorry ro hear about the insurance woes. I am a huge proponent of a single payer system, but there are so many people out there spreading lies and propoganda that I doubt it will ever happen. It's a sensitive subject, so that's all I'll say about that. Hope everything works out okay.

I'm an English major too :) So cool that you taught creative writing. And, thanks again for the sweet comments.

I dont think the bottom shirt is too snarky. It's great, I'd totally wear it :) You've been through alot - you deserve some snark :)

Your plans look good. You'll be there before me so I look forward to a report when you get back. I'm totally stealing your pillowcase idea for one of the crafts I'm planning on doing with the kids.

Can't wait to read more, and I hope you get over your cold soon :)

Holy cow :eek: That's quite the hospital bill. Sometimes I complain about our health care system here but really, we're pretty darn lucky. I can't imagine how much coin it would have taken to pay for getting my appendix out!

So sorry to hear about all the crazyness you've been going through! I hope it gets better. At least you're still going to Disney :hug:

Hey, I didn't realize before but you're arriving the day I'm leaving. Too bad

Yeah, Emergency Room care is always really, really expensive. Of course, so is all our medical care & prescriptions. It would shock you to know what my medical bills amount to. :scared1: Lupus & cancer are 2 of the MOST expensive diseases you can have in terms of treatment costs. I've not had my appendix out, but I'm guessing it's a pretty penny!

But, you're right - the good news is we're still going to Disney! :banana: It's the best medicine in the world. When people ask why I spend so much money on these trips I tell them that it's the cheapest, most effective medical treatment I can get! It's truly my happy, stress-free place! :goodvibes

Hey Dawn I'm joining in and I had to comment on this post. Reading this reminded me of what happened to my DD 2 years ago. She was engaged and even though I didn't think they should get married it wasn't my choice. He was going to go to Disney with us in May 08 and he broke up with Amanda 3 or 4 weeks before we went. He said some things to Amanda that made it sound like he wanted her to hang around just in case the free time didn't work out for him :scared1:. She told him "No way" and she moved on and is now engaged to a very nice guy. I hope everything works our for her.

BTW loving the PTR :thumbsup2

:welcome: to my PTR! So glad to get new readers! I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Thanks for sharing your DD's story. I guess we all have to go through heartache in life, but it sure does suck eggs when it happens. I'd rather relive my own than watch her go through it. Just the mama bear in me, I guess.

I'm so sorry this happened to your DD. And to pull that stunt just before a Disney trip just makes it that much worse! I hope she was able to enjoy your trip & let the mouse work its healing magic. :hug:

It sounds like she's found a good guy now. Congratulations on your daughter's new engagement!

Hey Dawn!

Sorry ro hear about the insurance woes. I am a huge proponent of a single payer system, but there are so many people out there spreading lies and propoganda that I doubt it will ever happen. It's a sensitive subject, so that's all I'll say about that. Hope everything works out okay.

I hear ya. There's a lot of stuff in regards to insurance - medical & otherwise - that is misunderstood by people. Unfortunately it's a business to make money, so the lies & propaganda will never go away.

I'm an English major too :) So cool that you taught creative writing. And, thanks again for the sweet comments.

:wave2: Hey! Another English major! Great choice. You're very welcome. I think encouragement helps a lot in the writing process. :thumbsup2

I dont think the bottom shirt is too snarky. It's great, I'd totally wear it :) You've been through alot - you deserve some snark :)

Yep, I agree! Snark does a body good. :laughing: I've got it in my shopping cart & will get it for this trip. :thumbsup2

Your plans look good. You'll be there before me so I look forward to a report when you get back. I'm totally stealing your pillowcase idea for one of the crafts I'm planning on doing with the kids.

Oh, you should definitely do this with the kids! We use fabric markers & just free hand the drawings, but they do have Disney pillowcases at Michael's that are like coloring pages. Last weekend I saw some. For girls, they had Tinkerbell & Fairies & the Princesses. For boys, there were CARS and Toy Story's Buzz & Woody. They are so much fun to do - and easy! Makes a great memento from the trip!

Can't wait to read more, and I hope you get over your cold soon :)

I hope to add some more trip updates today. And, thanks! I hate having colds - with me they can turn into really dangerous infections really easily so I have to be careful. And nobody likes the raw, red nose syndrome! Puffs Plus with lotion can only go so far to help my schnozz!

I was thinking about Epcot this morning while unable to sleep. I know, weird, huh? Epcot is our favorite park. We end up spending more time here than any other park every trip.

So I was lying in bed trying to clear my head, keeping my eyes closed, but all I could see was this:

4330346267_121996746e_b.jpg

Ahhh.... I love the big golf ball of the sky! :laughing:

So, instead of trying to count sheep, I decided to count all the things I want to do here that I either haven't done before or haven't done in a long time. So I came up with a list of things I'd like to try to accomplish while there.

Pick A Pearl:
While we always spend an inordinate amount of time in both China & Japan because Somer has a real love of all things Oriental, I realized we've never done the Pick A Pearl! :eek: Somer LOVES pearls! So, today I went online to get all the info I could on this event. I finally figured out that it was do-able budget-wise as long as I brought along the settings & didn't pay for them there.

So, today I bought 2 cages. One for me & one for Somer. She's going to be so excited! :banana: I have plenty of silver chains on hand since I make jewelry. But I don't do a lot of metal work yet, so I figured I'd buy the cages pre-made.

Here's mine - Everyone around me knows that my symbol is the butterfly - stands for Hope (& coincidentally for the Lupus Cause)-and since I have a lot of butterfly jewelry, I decided to add on to that theme:
4331066496_f5564f3a42_o.jpg

And knowing how Somer likes her Cinderella & princess fairytale theme I bought her the carriage cage:
4330331459_7e75ba19f5_o.jpg

Both came to a grand total of $16.00!! :woohoo: From what I read online the ones at Disney cost as much as $32 each. I plan to pack these along with us so we can pick a pearl & then wear them while there. :goodvibes

Behind the Seeds Tour - I love the Living with the Land ride & all things nature! The tomato tree & 10 lb. lemon always delight! I LOVE the Mickey Head pumpkins. Well, truthfully I have a weird thing for all pumpkins - go a little crazy with them each fall to my family's continued mirth - but come on! Mickey Pumpkins! Nothing better! :snooty: I do so hope they have them this year since they didn't last year. I think I'll be able to walk the tour since it's not scooter-friendly & Somer can't push me in the wheelchair with her neuro issues. I also think they take a AAA discount on this tour so that's a bit more savings.

Mickey Pumpkins for 2008 trip:
3332619433_37f8d5f59d_b.jpg

Treasures of Morocco Tour -Do they still do this? We've never taken the time for this tour as we've always spent so much time in China & Japan, but I really want to do this one. And it's free. Can't beat the price! :laughing:

More In Depth Touring of the Countries: Like I said, it's been China & Japan & a brief sprinkling of Mexico, Norway, and America. This year I hope to find all the nooks & crannies & delights of the different countries.

Find one of the Talking Water Fountains in FW: I hope these are still around. I remember reading about them once but didn't pay attention to where they were located. I'm hoping I can surprise Somer with one on this trip. She loves finding out neat stuff like this. Last year I insisted she pick up the phone in Le Chapeau & she was just tickled pink by the phone conversation she was "eavesdropping" on.

Sum of All Thrills: Somer probably won't want to do this. But I at least have to check it out even if to only watch other people on their rides. Since I can't do extreme thrill rides, I'm wondering if I could design a bobsled or plane ride that wasn't too intense but still fun? We shall see.

Watch Illuminations: Ok, we've done this one, but not for years & Somer last watched this in 2007. She decided she didn't like it at all. I think it had to do with our viewing location (handicapped reserved spot across from China) & the fact that the wind changed direction & we both got a lot of soot in our eyes. I think she'd like it if we could catch it from a spot further back & elevated. Any ideas on the best locations?

This is what I'd like to see this year!
4330453219_f93790aa2a_o.jpg

Pictures! Pictures!
And there's really nothing quite so beautiful as Epcot at Night. So we'll probably try to lag behind one night to catch some great night shot pictures.

4314390126_428296530b_o.jpg

4331187588_7d65df1148_o.jpg

4331187718_34d9fce2bf.jpg

4331187820_db65020c40_o.jpg

There was probably more I thought of last night, but that's all I can remember today.

Flashback Pic of the Day (Boy, you can really tell when I used my little point & shoot digi cam as opposed to the nicer DSLR ones Somer brought! You can always tell when a tripod was used, too! Oh, well, I still like the photos I got with my Canon P&S.)

Somer talking on her Crackberry in the Poly Lobby '09:

4314389966_55debe1f0e_b.jpg

Happy Thursday & Thanks for Reading!

So, today I went online to get all the info I could on this event. I finally figured out that it was do-able budget-wise as long as I brought along the settings & didn't pay for them there.

So, today I bought 2 cages. One for me & one for Somer. She's going to be so excited! :banana: I have plenty of silver chains on hand since I make jewelry. But I don't do a lot of metal work yet, so I figured I'd buy the cages pre-made.

Where did you find these cages? They're lovely! I'm seriously thinking about doing the pick-a-pearl when I go in 2 weeks. I'd love to be able to save a few bucks by getting the settings prior to going. Will they fit any size pearl? Or are you just guessing?

More In Depth Touring of the Countries: Like I said, it's been China & Japan & a brief sprinkling of Mexico, Norway, and America. This year I hope to find all the nooks & crannies & delights of the different countries.

Agreed. This is my plan of attack for my next couple of trips.

Watch Illuminations: I think she'd like it if we could catch it from a spot further back & elevated. Any ideas on the best locations?

You could try watching from the overpass just outside International Gateway entrance. It's a bit elevated and most of what you want to see is in the air. An even better choice might be at the Japan Pavilion. Stand at the railing on the second floor of the building where Teppan Edo and Tokyo Dining are. Great view from there :thumbsup2

Please don't tell me Somer took those night shots of Epcot?! :eek: They're gorgeous!

Please don't tell me Somer took those night shots of Epcot?! :eek: They're gorgeous!

I got the pearl cages from EBay. You can do a search for "pearl cage" and it will pull up all the available items. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or how expensive the shipping would be. But if it's too much or not available, I guess you could always have your sister order them & ship to her attention in Florida. Good Luck!

Oh - and the cages I bought say they'll hold up to a 7mm pearl. Most of the pearls found at Pick a Pearl are around 7mm so I'm hoping the ones we get will fit!

Thanks for the suggestions for watching Illuminations. I'll have to see if I can go to one of those locations & scout out a spot! :thumbsup2

The night pictures were taken some by Somer & some by me. It's not too hard to get good pictures if you use a tripod with a good lens. If you don't have a tripod, you can always use something to steady the camera - like the top of a trashcan or something. We have found many ways to creatively "create" a tripod on the fly! :laughing:

I found myself laughing out loud when you said you couldn't sleep so you counted off the things you want to do at Epcot. When my son was little and he would have a bad dream or couldn't fall asleep, I'd lie down with him and we'd talk about all the things we were going to do when we got to Disney World. I thought we were the only ones who did things like that.

The Behind the Seeds tour is awesome. We've done it twice and loved it both times. We're talking about doing it again this trip so that my Mama can enjoy it. Now that you said something, I don't remember it being very scooter friendly.

I did pick-a-pearl for the first time this past trip. I told my husband I wanted to do it for my anniversary. I picked a 7.5 mm pearl and found a cute little swirl cage for it. I remember it was pretty cheap...I'm thinking about $36.00 total. Of course, I didn't buy a necklace since I have oodles of sterling necklaces. I think I'll do a search on ebay and see what I can find and maybe get one for my mother.

Gosh, I almost forgot to mention that I love love love the pictures. I bought a little mini-tripod that I plan on bringing on this trip so I can try my hand at night shots. I am sure they won't turn out near as good at ya'll's though.

I got the pearl cages from EBay. You can do a search for "pearl cage" and it will pull up all the available items. I'm not sure if they ship to Canada or how expensive the shipping would be. But if it's too much or not available, I guess you could always have your sister order them & ship to her attention in Florida. Good Luck!

Thanks for that info. I'll check to see if I can get them shipped here. It might make more sense just to ship them to my sister since that's where the pearls are!

Oh - and the cages I bought say they'll hold up to a 7mm pearl. Most of the pearls found at Pick a Pearl are around 7mm so I'm hoping the ones we get will fit!

Good to know. Would they be able to adjust them?

The night pictures were taken some by Somer & some by me. It's not too hard to get good pictures if you use a tripod with a good lens. If you don't have a tripod, you can always use something to steady the camera - like the top of a trashcan or something. We have found many ways to creatively "create" a tripod on the fly! :laughing:

A simple point and shoot definitely won't give me that kind of result! Even with having it on something steady. The pictures you have there are Disney promotional quality!

The pictures are AWESOME. I got a new camera for my birthday(next month :lmao:) and I want to learn how to use it to the best of its ability, not my ability mind you :rotfl2:. I have a Canon Rebel so I have a LOT to learn about it.

I found myself laughing out loud when you said you couldn't sleep so you counted off the things you want to do at Epcot. When my son was little and he would have a bad dream or couldn't fall asleep, I'd lie down with him and we'd talk about all the things we were going to do when we got to Disney World. I thought we were the only ones who did things like that.

Nope, you are not alone! The good news is that if I do fall asleep, I usually end up dreaming of Disney. It's a win-win! :lmao:

The Behind the Seeds tour is awesome. We've done it twice and loved it both times. We're talking about doing it again this trip so that my Mama can enjoy it. Now that you said something, I don't remember it being very scooter friendly.

That's great to hear that it's awesome. I love gardening & science so I'm sure I'll like it. Nope - no scooters on the tour - I called & asked, but they will allow you to transfer to a manual wheelchair if someone in the party can push it.

I did pick-a-pearl for the first time this past trip. I told my husband I wanted to do it for my anniversary. I picked a 7.5 mm pearl and found a cute little swirl cage for it. I remember it was pretty cheap...I'm thinking about $36.00 total. Of course, I didn't buy a necklace since I have oodles of sterling necklaces. I think I'll do a search on ebay and see what I can find and maybe get one for my mother.

That's a sweet anniversary present! I'm sure your mama would love one. :lovestruc

Gosh, I almost forgot to mention that I love love love the pictures. I bought a little mini-tripod that I plan on bringing on this trip so I can try my hand at night shots. I am sure they won't turn out near as good at ya'll's though.

Thanks! I'll be sure to pass that on to Somer. She'll be tickled pink. The mini-pod should help a lot with your night shots. The hardest part about it for me is getting the f-Stop & white balance right so the lights don't blur. But the fun is in the practice! I just bought a gorilla pod that I hope to use on this trip. It's got bendy legs & can attach to any surface so should come in handy. :thumbsup2

A simple point and shoot definitely won't give me that kind of result! Even with having it on something steady. The pictures you have there are Disney promotional quality!

Aw, thanks! Somer's going to get a big head with all the compliments. Don't discount the quality of your photos with a point & shoot, though. It's the only kind I have & I've been able to get some really good shots by practicing. The thing that helps me the most is reading the manuals that come with the cameras. Even better are the online photo sites where you can get amazing tips & tricks from pro's & amateurs on using your camera to the best of its ability. :thumbsup2

You would think having a professional photographer for a daughter would help me, wouldn't you? Ha! She isn't that much help as she's always busy with her own camera or just takes mine from me & messes with the settings before handing it back to me & muttering under her breath about amateurs - a teacher of photography she is not. :rotfl:

The pictures are AWESOME. I got a new camera for my birthday(next month :lmao:) and I want to learn how to use it to the best of its ability, not my ability mind you :rotfl2:. I have a Canon Rebel so I have a LOT to learn about it.

Thanks so much!

Somer uses a Canon Rebel DSLR and Canon film SLR camera. Her DSLR is an older model as I got it for her when she was in photo school about 4 years ago. I wish I could afford to upgrade her, but oh well. There are some really great online photo communities & forums (including the photo board on here) that have lots of great info. You're going to have so much fun playing with your new toy! Canon makes really good cameras & the lenses are interchangeable amongst the different generations (unlike Nikon) so it's a good investment.

OH! And Happy Early Birthday to ya! :bday:

In case you all were wondering...I didn't die! :worship: I thought I would. Sometimes I even wanted to. But here I am. Finally back at work & feeling a smidge better. So, I figured I'd better pop into my PTR & at least say :wave2:. I've not been in a very Disney mood lately. More like a snotty Eeyore mood: "Nobundy lubs me. I think I'mb gobing to die. Life stinks." :eeyore:

The couple of weeks of yucky cold like symptoms last week took a turn for the worse & I was VERY sick - high fever, larygitis, bronchitis, sinusitis. If it was an itis, I had/have it! :sad2: Oh, the joys of being immunosuppressed! :sick: I've spent the last few days watching the Winter Olympics & a rental movie, Orphan. It was was okay, but I'd read the twist before watching the movie, so maybe that's why I was underwhelmed. I still have to watch the others I rented: Surrogates and Bright Star. I'm thinking Bright Star will be good since I LOVE John Keats' poetry.

Today is better, but still struggling with fatigue, the inability to breathe through my nose (Extra Strength Breathe Right strips, btw, are the bomb! Too bad I'd look freaky trying to wear them outside of the house. :crazy2:), and general yuckiness. To top off all the fun, I had my Zometa shot yesterday so my bones are a'achin! Whoever took that hammer & beat me with it last night had better not show themselves! ;)

I did skip out on my other tests, etc. as Somer had to rush to the ER to find out why she's been having trouble breathing, chest pains, and her lips/fingernails turning blue off & on. I told her to call her Dr. She called & the nurse told her, "You're probably having a pulmonary embolism. You need to go to the ER immediately." I wish I had 5 minutes in a locked room with that nurse! :furious:

After 4 hours & many tests, the ER doc told us that they're just not sure what is going on. Again with the "you're an unusual case - I suggest you try another specialist". Oy. So it's off to a pulmonologist to see if he can figure it out. In the meantime, she's been presenting with the famous Lupus malar rash, so I'm now thinking that's what's been going on. That's a tough disease to get a diagnosis for, though, as a certain blood test has to catch it just right timing wise. Only took me 10 years to get mine. :headache:

Ok, enough of the sick talk! But, if you're so inclined, prayers & pixie dust are much appreciated! :flower3:

So, I've been busy planning Somer's 21st birthday party & not spending too much time planning our trip. I ordered the last of her presents today! Shhh! Don't tell her. ;) Actually, she just signed up for the Disboards, so I have to be super stealthy & not let anything slip here. Her sign name is SparklyPrincess, so if you see her around the boards, give her a shout out, 'k?

So, I've not done nearly as much crafts-wise as I would have liked by now. But, I did find a cute foam covered journal & some sparkly pink & purple foam princess/castle stickies & Somer made herself an autograph book. princess:
It's really cute. I'll have to get some pics & upload them when our crafts are put together.

In other news - we got 3" of snow last Friday! :cold: It was a winter wonderland! Until 2 p.m. when it all melted away! :rotfl: Ah, well. Somer got a few pics - I'll have to get her to copy them to my thumbdrive so I can load them into Flikr to share with ya'll.

Also, Somer got her car back & it looks pretty good! The damage from the wreck is all fixed. They replaced her front end & hood. If you look at her car head on it looks almost new! Now, if only I could afford to get the roof fixed from where Hurricane Gustav dropped a tree on it. :rolleyes: Ah, well. I keep telling her it's better than the clunker I drove when I first started out. It had no floorboard on the driver's side - just duct tape & visquine to keep out the worst of the rain! :scared1: Ah, the good old days. :lmao:

That's about all that I have to report today. I hope you all have a Happy Mardi Gras! Laissez les bon temps roulez, cher!

Here's my flashback pic o' the day:
Somer's 20th Birthday

When I inadvertently started her Crackberry habit! :eek: Notice, the Minnie Mouse shirt - ever the Disney loving girl!
4331080868_04048c540c.jpg

And her favorite flavor cake - funfetti:
4330345941_8b8cd86d02.jpg

I was just thinking about you....seriously, I was! I finally got around to updating the Louisiana Disney Lovers post this morning and saw your name.

I'm sorry that both you and Somer are feeling yucky. I had a friend with Lupus and, like you, it took them years to finally diagnose it. With all of our modern day technology, you'd think they could find out what's wrong with us more quickly.

Glad that ya'll finally got Somer's car back. I laughed out loud when you said you drove a clunker with duct tape and visquine. I drove a dull green Maverick with no air conditioner when I was in high school and I was darned glad to have something to drive. A lot of kids didn't even have a clunker. Ahh...the good ole' days.

We got snow too! I posted pictures on my Over the River thread. I didn't go to work Friday. The boss tried to lay a sob story on me when I came to work Monday. Didn't work!:laughing:

You're Back!!!!! I've been thinking/worrying about you too. Sorry to hear that you and Somer have been sick. My family will be praying for you guys. I'm glad to see you back on the boards!

We got 8 inches of snow here in SC!!! Isn't it fun? When you're not used to it, it really makes it special. Took the kids sledding (on an old square of linolium but hey, it worked!:rotfl:) It's all gone now and supposed to be in the 6o's this weekend. Wierd southern weather...

I haven't been doing much Disney planning either, been busy applying to grad school:scared1: I'm on my way on the journey to become a Family Nurse Practitioner. Now I just have to worry about taking the GRE next week. I'm excited though. I'm pretty much addicted to school, and my hubby is pretty excited about the salary estimates he found on the web. :rotfl2:

Anyway, continue to feel better and I'll talk to you later!

I was just thinking about you....seriously, I was! I finally got around to updating the Louisiana Disney Lovers post this morning and saw your name.

I'm sorry that both you and Somer are feeling yucky. I had a friend with Lupus and, like you, it took them years to finally diagnose it. With all of our modern day technology, you'd think they could find out what's wrong with us more quickly.

Yeah, it stinks how long it takes. The thing about Lupus is that symptoms change so dramatically & suddenly & you have to catch it just right to get the blood results that will give you a diagnosis. The average length of time from symptom onset to official diagnosis is 10-12 years! :eek: In that time, you can really incur some damage. Like I did with my kidneys. I really hope Somer doesn't have that problem. :sad2:

Glad that ya'll finally got Somer's car back. I laughed out loud when you said you drove a clunker with duct tape and visquine. I drove a dull green Maverick with no air conditioner when I was in high school and I was darned glad to have something to drive. A lot of kids didn't even have a clunker. Ahh...the good ole' days.

Yep, that old 1973 Ford truck was a doozy! It was red - mostly rust colored. It was a stick shift with 4 gears, but only 3 worked. There was no air conditioning/heater, either. And the seat had a sprung spring! But - it ran. It got me where I was going - eventually! :rotfl2: I can't say I miss it, but it's a fun story to look back on & tell Somer & her friends when they complain about not getting the newest, best car out there.

We got snow too! I posted pictures on my Over the River thread. I didn't go to work Friday. The boss tried to lay a sob story on me when I came to work Monday. Didn't work!:laughing:

Silly boss! Doesn't he know we're not equipped to drive in snow & ice here in Louisiana? :rolleyes: I'm glad you took the day off! :thumbsup2

You're Back!!!!! I've been thinking/worrying about you too. Sorry to hear that you and Somer have been sick. My family will be praying for you guys. I'm glad to see you back on the boards!

Thank you! The prayers are very much appreciated. :hug:

We got 8 inches of snow here in SC!!! Isn't it fun? When you're not used to it, it really makes it special. Took the kids sledding (on an old square of linolium but hey, it worked!:rotfl:) It's all gone now and supposed to be in the 6o's this weekend. Wierd southern weather...

I wish we got enough snow to sled on! I'd be perfectly happy with a square of linoleum. Or better yet, a slicked up metal bowl like Clark used in Christmas Vacation - now that'd be fun! :banana: I'd be tickled pink to have enough to make a snow angel out of or a snowman that wasn't filled with leaves, dirt, and sticks! :lmao: But I sure am glad I don't have to live with it day in & day out. Yuck. Give me early Springs & greening countryside any day before being snowed in & shoveling my driveway. I feel for my Northern friends.

I haven't been doing much Disney planning either, been busy applying to grad school:scared1: I'm on my way on the journey to become a Family Nurse Practitioner. Now I just have to worry about taking the GRE next week. I'm excited though. I'm pretty much addicted to school, and my hubby is pretty excited about the salary estimates he found on the web. :rotfl2:

Anyway, continue to feel better and I'll talk to you later!

Oh, you're so lucky to be going back to school! I'm totally one of those "weirdos" who loves school. If I could make a living by earning degrees, that would be the perfect job for me - professional student. :teacher:

You're sure to do well on the GRE. :thumbsup2 I took it years ago & was surprised that it wasn't even as hard as the certification tests for secondary eduation I had just taken. I'll keep you in my prayers for a great score!

Nurse Practicioners are great people & deserve the great pay they get! If I could afford (both financially & health-wise) to change careers, I'd love to go into nursing or something in the medical field. With all my experience being a patient, I have been around a lot of medical professionals. I have tons of respect & admiration for dedicated people in the medical field. Great choice!

Good luck!

Well, big news on the trip! Our dates have changed. Due to some personal & work related issues, I needed to bump up our vacation dates so I can be back by Sunday, May 9. This also works well since we get to avoid MK on the Grad Nites when the park closes early at 7 p.m. I think our plans will work out well now. At least I hope there are no more changes needed.

So, the new plans are:

Wednesday, April 28 Arrive Hotel - Approx. 12 p.m.
Check In
If Room Ready:
Unpack Car/Luggage
Receive Groceries from GardenGrocer.com
Clean Up & Change
If Room Not Ready:
Leave Luggage with Bell Services
Pick up scooter from bell services
Bus to Magic Kingdom
Wander & Shop along Main Street - Watch Wishes

Thursday, April 29 Epcot FW
Lunch @ Sunshine Seasons
Dinner @ UK - Fish & Chips

Friday, April 30 AK
Wake up by 6 a.m. - get to AK for rope drop
Donald's Safari Breakfast ADR - 8:35 a.m.
Lunch at Pizzafari
Dinner back at Resort

Saturday, May 1 EPCOT - World Showcase
Fantasia Mini-Golf at 8:30 p.m.
Bus back to Resort from Epcot

Sunday, May 2 MK EMH Day
Rest/Swim until late afternoon
Bus to MK no later than 3:30 p.m.
Monorail to Contemporary
Dinner ADR @ Chef Mickey's for 5:20 p.m.
Monorail to MK or Walk Path?
MK EMH!!!

Monday, May 3 EPCOT - World Showcase

Tuesday, May 4 MK Day
Lunch @ Pecos Bill's
Dinner @ ?

Wednesday, May 5 - Check out Day
Drive to Treasure Island
Check into Bilmar Beach Resort
Dinner @ Mexican Restaurant on Gulf Blvd.

Thursday, May 6 Day @ the Beach

Friday, May 7 Checkout of Bilmar
Drive toward Home - Stop Near Destin/Pensacola

Saturday, May 8 Return Home

I've made all the reservation changes - Hotel on the way there, Disney vacation package, dining reservations, hotel at beach, scooter rental.

There is one dining reservation that has been deleted & one reserved. Since our original Le Cellier reservations were for Wed., May 5 & we are now checking out on that day, I had to let that one go. There were no more ADR's available for any of the days we are going to be there. I'm a little sad as I wanted to get one of their chocolate moose, but it's just something I'll try for next time. :thumbsup2

But - I LOVE LOVE LOVE me some Donald Duck - so I made a reservation for Donald's Safari Breakfast on our AK day Friday, April 30. Since the reservation is for 8:35 a.m. and the park opens at 9:00 a.m. that day, we'll get to see the park before it's crowded with people! Yay! :banana:

I've never done rope drop, much less gone to the park before opening for an ADR, so that will be a new experience for us. Somer loves breakfast foods more than any other, so I know she'll be happy with this choice. I have a hard time eating before I've been up for a couple of hours, so I hope I can get my money's worth. As long as Donald stops by & gives me a hug, I think I'll count myself lucky! I <3 :donald: !

In other news, Somer went to the new doctor yesterday & he has ordered an echocardiogram (scheduled for Tuesday) & a venous sonogram (which she had yesterday). He said that a mitral valve prolapse could cause some of the symptoms she's been experiencing. She also had a sinus infection & he prescribed a 10 day zPak for that. And he prescribed Nexium for GERD, just in case that was causing some of the problems. So, it's another wait & see for now. She went in today for some blood work as well. It's another round of ring around the doctors for us! :rolleyes:

After the doctor, we made a trip to Charming Charlie's & Somer picked out a birthday tiara and a few other things for presents. She tried on a bunch of different "African-inspired" dresses because she wants to wear a cool, comfy dress to that park. But unfortunately none of them were a good fit. All in all, though, she made out well - a new pair of adorable white/gold sandals, a tiara, a pair of crystal earrings, and a "key to happiness" pendant & necklace. That means that I'm done with her birthday shopping now. There are a few surprises that I can't list here.

I think she's going to be a very happy 21st birthday girl. She has changed her decision on restaurants for her party - we are now going to Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro! YUM! They have the most divine chocolate turtle cheesecake - it's absolutely sinful. :cloud9: All the food there is really good. And Somer wants to order her very 1st alcoholic drink there - they have some very girly, colorful cocktails & she's excited to be able to order & pay for a drink for herself. Ah, the 21st birthday milestones!:upsidedow

That's it for newsy news for me today. The rest is the usual work, work, work & still trying to get over the crud that just keeps hanging on. :sick: There are so many people sick with this stuff that I'm really hoping I don't recatch it from one of my co-workers. :eek:

For today's flashback picture, let's play a little game - Can You Guess Where these Were Taken?

A Couple of Easy Ones:
  1. 4313697519_d00eb3f722.jpg
  2. 3550137798_fb124c6d1b_o.jpg
  3. 3330928851_bcbca7872a.jpg

A bit harder, but still in the parks:
  1. 4313713151_6a1589a8fa.jpg
  2. 3549177334_55c692a105_o.jpg
  3. 3333467116_6f40c9efb5.jpg

And now not in the parks, but still on WDW property:
  1. 4274092975_1062e729f6.jpg
  2. 3550139524_114e50ddac.jpg
  3. 3550133058_6673e2587b_o.jpg

Good Luck!

Til Next Time...

It's been awhile since I posted on here. I must apologize. I've been inundated at work (audit preparation) & don't have an internet connection at home right now, so I've been lax in my PTR reporting.

Since making the date changes to my trip, I have started rethinking our park strategy as the park hours & fireworks/parade times are now different. I think these new dates will actually allow us to do a few things we couldn't have done before, so that makes me happy.

In other news:

Shopping Updates:
I took Somer shopping last weekend to find some new Spring/Summer clothes & a new bathing suit. Since she has gone on meds for her thyroid, her hormones must have kicked in or something & she's actually grown in the last few months. And her "womanly features" have changed sizes. :rolleyes1 So - most of her clothes don't fit. :headache:

Luckily, JC Penney & Kohl's were having sales. Old Navy had a couple of shorts that were a good price. All in all I was able to get her pretty much set for the season. If it ever gets here! With these cold temps lately, it's hard to imagine! :cold:

So the list of goodies includes:
  • 1 pair dark denim shorts
  • 1 pair khaki capri's - these are made of a really light weight material
  • 1 pair beige chino-style shorts
  • 1 pair orange runner shorts - for the quick dry feature - great for water rides!
  • 1 pair olive green shorts
  • 1 "Mexican Inspired" embroidered brown shirt - this was on sale, but still a bit pricey. I justified it because with all the embroidery colors on it, the shirt goes with all the bottoms we got!
  • 1 light yellow & white striped shirt
  • 1 40's style retro black w/ white polka dots bathing dress/suit
  • For our homemade t-shirts, I went with athletic tees to help with moisture wicking:
    [*]1 yellow (still working on the design- Somer wants a Princess shirt)
    [*]1 light grey (for the Marie design I have - Somer loves the Aristocats' Marie)​

For her upcoming birthday, I've got her a few more things to wear. But since she's lurking on here, I'll have to wait until later for the reveal!

There was 1 birthday present I went ahead & gave to her early - her Skechers Shape-Up shoes. With her back pain & joint pain, I figured the longer she has these to wear, the better.

Her posture automatically corrects when she puts them on! It's amazing - I don't have to nag her about pulling her shoulders back or tilting her hips the way the doctors told her. WooHoo! :woohoo: I hate nagging. She's already noticed a real difference in back & knee pain relief, plus is noticing the toning on her legs/backside.

So, all in all, I'd have to say worth the $100 price tag. They're bulky looking, but since Somer has such tiny feet, they don't look too bad on her. I have big feet, so they'd probably look silly on me. However, I may have to save up & buy myself a pair if they help with knee pain. I'd love to walk without my daily knee pain! :thumbsup2

Crafting Update:

We also stopped by Hancock Fabrics to see what we could see craft-wise. I got myself a treat! I found the so soft fabric paints here & went ahead & got some - black, brown, red, pink, fuschia, violet, navy, light blue, light green, dark green, yellow, orange, white, and silver.

I used to paint shirts, shoes, totes, etc. back in the 80's/early 90's & the paint always dried hard & inflexible. These new kind dry soft & flexible (like screenprinted material), so I can't wait to see how they work! I plan to use them often, but first on our Disney pillowcases! In the past, I've used fabric markers, but can't wait to try the new stay soft paints! :banana:

I also picked up a pre-printed Disney pillowcase for Somer. It has an outline picture of all the princesses & the castle. It came with fabric crayons, but I don't know if she'll use those or paints or makers - or a combination! She wants to personalize the back of the pillowcase to make it memorable to this year's trip. I picked up a plain white pillowcase for me. I still haven't decided on the design I want to use.

Scooter Crafts - I have been trying to think of a way to decorate my scooter this year. First, because I think it's fun. Second, because I think it might help people see me when I'm on it. Anything to lessen the bumps, hits, and cutting in front of me would be a blessing! I've decided on making a fabric sign for the back with the t-shirt slogan "I'm Not Lazy...I'm Fighting Cancer. What's Your Excuse?"

For night time, I have purchased some battery operated fairy lights. I'm going to wind them around the basket & seat area to try to help people see me at night. Since the lights are LED, not hot to the touch, & not too bright, I figure they won't hurt anyone or detract from stuff around me. What do you think?

I'm still thinking of other ways to make the scooter stand out without making it bulkier or more difficult to maneuver. Any ideas?

Food Update:

Somer & I worked a bit on our snack list from Garden Grocer. We didn't utilize our in room snacks as much last year & Somer told me it was because at our room in the Poly, the snacks were in their own space & so, to her, not as noticeable. :rolleyes: Okee dokee. So, this trip we will once again order some snack/breakfast items to have in our room to help save on OOP food expenses in the parks. Since I usually store these directly across from where Somer sleeps, they should get used this year! :thumbsup2

Our list includes:
  • Case of bottled water - with sport caps for ease of drinking & using to douse handkerchiefs for neck cooling
  • Pint sized OJ - a couple of 6 packs - OJ is my morning coffee. I can't start my day without it!
  • Individual Cereal in Bowls - Apple Jacks for Somer, Cheerios for me
  • 2 Quarts of Milk
  • Apples - Pre-sliced packs
  • Bananas
  • Dunkin Sticks - Somer LOVES these & they're usually the 1st thing to go
  • Mini Donuts - powdered sugar kind
  • Granola Bars - Honey nut kind - no chocolate
  • Fruit Snacks - Somer usually wants Gushers, but has asked for the Disney Princess ones this year. I can't stand gummy anything, so doesn't make a difference to me.
  • Cracker Packs - Smoky Cheddar for Somer, Captain's Wafers for me
  • Soda - 6 oz. cans - 6 pack of Sprite for me, 6 pack of Coke for Somer
  • TrailMix - this one's for me - Somer hates trail mix - I think she's burned out from all our years in Girl Scouts :rolleyes:
  • Cookies - 100 calorie packs - not sure which kind just yet, but nothing melty
  • Bread, Peanut Butter & Squeeze Jelly - for in-room snack/meal

That's pretty much it for Disney related updates.

I have to get back to work now - the daggum auditors have asked that we get all our pre-audit information to them 2 weeks earlier than requested before. So, I have about 600 people I have to get information from to start the process ASAP. Then I have to run data scans on all of our 1000+ computer shares/drives. Yippee. :eek:

Have I mentioned I really, really hate audit time? 'Cause I do. I really do. :sad2: Luckily for me, my part is over before the auditors come on site. And guess when they get here? Yep - the same week as my Disney vacation. :cheer2: I couldn't have asked for better timing to be out of the office. :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

All of Somer's clothes sound really cool and I'm glad the sneakers are helping her! I've decided I need to go visit our podiatrist over spring break because I've inherited my mother's feet; they're rolling in really badly. My (f)uggs are so uncomfortable when I walk in them, I think I may end up with orthotics.

I think all the crafty stuff sounds great. I just don't have the time to do it all-I'll be lucky to get my autograph book and scrapbook done! I also really like your ideas for dressing up your scooter. The slogan is great and I think the lights will look awesome. Show us pictures of whatever you decided to do with it!

My mom and I are making a similar snack/food list because we plan to eat several meals in the room. Have you used GardenGrocer before? Any thought about them?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter