• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spring Break 2013 - TDR & Tokyo - Trip Report

We did everything separately:

Hotel rezzie via the english speaking phone reservation line at the 6mth booking window.
Special Hoppers once we checked in at the hotel (only available by asking for them).
SUICA pass at Tokyo Station.

The gyoza sausage bun line ranged from 10mins to 30 mins when we did it (3 times).

GREAT report and pictures. Glad you had a fun time. We are thinking about going to TDL next March or April ourselves.

May we ask a few questions please?

When you booked your trip, were Hotel, Special 4 day park hopper tickets, and public transportation all purchased as part of a package? or did you have to buy them separately? Did you do it all online, over the phone, or at the Resort?

How long was the line for the gyoza sausage buns at Disney Sea?

Thanks in advance.

We took a cab from TDLR to the Four Seasons. Initially we were going to catch the train, but.....it was raining and we didn't want to schlep our stuff through Tokyo Station. The cab ride took just about an hour in mid-day traffic (in the rain).

Arriving at the Four Seasons......our room wasn't ready so we went up to the lounge & restaurant for lunch.

The lounge in the Four Seasons Marunouch, we clearly wern't in Disney anymore:
Tokyo%20Disney-1-M.jpg

To kill some time until our room was ready we walked over to the Bridgestone Museum of Art where there were running a special exhibition "Through Japanese Eyes: Paris, 1900 - 1945" - needless to say no pics of this visit.

The museum is small, consisting of 8 small galleries, but it houses paintings by most of the masters including Renior, Monet & van Gogh.

http://www.bridgestone-museum.gr.jp/en/

The Four Seasons is billed as a "luxury boutique hotel" located in the Pacific Century office tower, and takes 7 floors. When we arrived in our room, we found that we had a large corner room, with two walls of glass and two US sized queen beds (which we expected):
Tokyo%20Disney-2-M.jpg

http://www.fourseasons.com/tokyo/accommodations/guest_rooms/premier_room/

The room was very modern including the bathroom:
Tokyo%20Disney-4-M.jpg

So we unpacked. This was to be home for the next 4 nights. It was at this point that Susan found she'd left the battery charger for her Canon G12 at home. So it was off to the nearest BIC Camera to buy a new one:
Tokyo%20Disney-6-M.jpg

By now we were hungry and wanted something other than 'hotel food' (no matter how good or expensive it was :lmao: )

Susan had found a place called A16 in Brick Square - a Pizza joint close to Tokyo Station, so we set off on foot (in the rain). After walking through Tokyo Station (not a small place), I found which way we should go and located the restaurant.

What a nice place......Most of the restaurants in the area cater to the 'Banking Crowd' and A16 was no exception. I think we were the only people in there *not* dressed in black suit, white shirt and black tie, or black suit and white blouse. However the staff were very friendly (something we found to be true of every restaurant and eatery we visited), and the place had a great ambience.

The twin pizza ovens of A16:
Tokyo%20Disney-7-S.jpg

A16:
Tokyo%20Disney-9-M.jpg

Brick Square by night (with rain):
Tokyo%20Disney-8-M.jpg

The food was excellent, but by now we were pooped and needed sleep.

Day 5 - Studio Ghibli up next.....

Thank you so much for sharing! I am planning on going to TDL and TDS when I turn 50 in 3 years. I just need to figure out when is THE best time to go and if it should be a family trip or a girls trip.

Day 5 - Studio Ghibli Museum.

Wednesday started off as Tuesday had finished, with a light rain:
Tokyo%20Disney-1-M.jpg

We had to meet our tour group at a hotel by Shinjuku Station, so we headed into Tokyo Station to catch the train.

Lunchboxes set out for folks to buy on their way to work:
Tokyo%20Disney-2-M.jpg

Tokyo Station contain a large underground shopping area including 'Character Street' where stores sell only mechandise based on TV and movie characters. Needless to say we stopped by a store selling Studio Ghibli items:
Tokyo%20Disney-3-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-4-M.jpg

I wanted to get this but....:
Tokyo%20Disney-5-M.jpg

After scoping out the store it was time to catch the train. Tokyo Station has been recently refurb'd, here's the central dome:
Tokyo%20Disney-6-M.jpg

Waiting for our train:
Tokyo%20Disney-7-M.jpg

At Shinjuku we met our guide and headed to catch the train and then bus to the Studio Ghibli Museum.

Shinjuku:
Tokyo%20Disney-8-M.jpg

After the train ride, it was time to catch the bus to our destination. The museum is run as a joint collaboration betwen the city and Studio, and bus stop for Ghibli is suitably themed:
Tokyo%20Disney-9-M.jpg

So is the bus:
Tokyo%20Disney-10-M.jpg

Our first view of the museum, from the bus:
Tokyo%20Disney-11-M.jpg

Totoro sells tickets, not really - you have to book in advance for a specific time slot:
Tokyo%20Disney-12-M.jpg

The museum does not allow photograpgy once inside, but it is filled with amazing items and a stop not to be missed. That said here's a few pics:

Exterior of museum, most of the windows are handmade stained glass:
Tokyo%20Disney-14-M.jpg

One of the larger stained glass windows:
Tokyo%20Disney-15-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-16-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-17-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-18-M.jpg

Ornate manhole cover:
Tokyo%20Disney-19-M.jpg

Our guide told us the 'trick' to photographing the glass. While no pics are allowed inside, you can open the door, prop it open and take a pic of the door while standing 'outside' lol:
Tokyo%20Disney-20-M.jpg

Once on the roof we find the iconic robot from Castle In The Sky:
Tokyo%20Disney-21-M.jpg

And 'The Cube':
Tokyo%20Disney-23-M.jpg

Before catching our bus/train back we had time to stop into the Cafe:
Tokyo%20Disney-25-M.jpg

Where I got to sample a Studio Ghibli beer:
Tokyo%20Disney-26-M.jpg

While we'd missed the peak of the Cherry Blossom bloom, there was still plenty to be seen.....Waiting for the bus:
Tokyo%20Disney-27-M.jpg

Here's the girls with our wonderful guide:
Tokyo%20Disney-28-M.jpg

Back at Tokyo Station, the rain had stopped:
Tokyo%20Disney-29-M.jpg

Sunset, looking towards the palace:
Tokyo%20Disney-30-M.jpg

Finally, back in our room, time for some R&R and dinner:
Tokyo%20Disney-32-M.jpg

Next up......Day 6, Kamakura.

WOW! What a great hotel room. That food to-go looks great and cheap'ish. Thanks for sharing.

Day 6: Kamakura. For the next two days we'd decided to hire a guide from Tours By Locals, and customize a tour based on what we wanted to see. We were met in the lobby of our hotel and then it was off to catch the train to Kamakura, about an hours ride south of Tokyo.

The Shinkansen from our room:
Tokyo%20Disney-M.jpg

But first some breakfast:
Tokyo%20Disney-2-M.jpg

The plan was to take in all the Temples in the area. Little did we know but this would involve about 10miles of walking.....

First up: the Hasedera Temple:
Tokyo%20Disney-6-M.jpg

First the ritual cleaning which preceeded each temple:
Tokyo%20Disney-7-M.jpg

Main Temple square:
Tokyo%20Disney-9-M.jpg

Wheel Library:
Tokyo%20Disney-17-M.jpg

Immaculate grounds:
Tokyo%20Disney-19-M.jpg

And a cave:
Tokyo%20Disney-23-M.jpg

Next up was the 'Great Buddha - Daibutsu':
Tokyo%20Disney-28-M.jpg

Yep, its big alright:
Tokyo%20Disney-27-M.jpg

Then it was off to a noodle house for lunch:
Tokyo%20Disney-33-M.jpg

This place also had a great ornamental garden and shrine:
Tokyo%20Disney-38-M.jpg

We could just about make our Mt. Fuji's snow cap too :-)

3rd up was a large complex back in town:
Tokyo%20Disney-43-M.jpg

With lots of sake:
Tokyo%20Disney-46-M.jpg

Then a final stop (they were beginning to blur at this point):
Tokyo%20Disney-48-M.jpg

But photos were allowed inside:
Tokyo%20Disney-50-M.jpg

This is an active temple:
Tokyo%20Disney-53-M.jpg

After the rapid train ride back to Tokyo Station it was time for dinner and bed:
Tokyo%20Disney-5-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-7-M.jpg

Next Up: Tokyo Tower, Pokemon Center and a few other spots.

I love that cave temple! Thanks for sharing.

Was the Tours by Locals conducted in English?

I love that cave temple! Thanks for sharing.

Was the Tours by Locals conducted in English?

It was way cool in there. I have other pics of all the miniture 'souls' in the deepest part - will post one later. A lot of the Temple was dedicated to 'lost' children - very sad.

Some really great photos there! The cave is my favorite part of Hase-dera, did you do the Benzaiten statue? And all the hundreds of Jizo statues...sigh. -_-

I hope you didn't walk both ways between Kamakura station and the Daibutsu! You mentioned 10 miles of walking...you took the Enoden train at least one way, right? Your poor legs and feet!

Some really great photos there! The cave is my favorite part of Hase-dera, did you do the Benzaiten statue? And all the hundreds of Jizo statues...sigh. -_-

I hope you didn't walk both ways between Kamakura station and the Daibutsu! You mentioned 10 miles of walking...you took the Enoden train at least one way, right? Your poor legs and feet!

We took a train from the main Kamakura station to the Hase station and walked to Hasedera from there.

Then we took a bus :-) to Daibutsu. From there another bus to the Tea/Noodle house & Garden.

Then another bus down to Kamakura for Tsurugaoka Hachiman gu Shrine.

Then we walked to the Kenchoji Temple, and finally a train back to Tokyo.

Day 7. Tokyo Tower, Pokemon Center, Akihabara......

This was to be our last full day in Tokyo. Our Tours By Local guide met us in the lobby of our hotel at 9am, then it was off to catch the train(s) to Tokyo Tower.

S & S strap hanging all the way to the Tokyo Tower:
Tokyo%20Disney-2-M.jpg

We'd decided to skip the Sky Tree after hearing about the long lines (we'll do that on our next trip and decided to take in the original tower):
Tokyo%20Disney-4-M.jpg

Daytime view:
Tokyo%20Disney-5-M.jpg

One of the clear 'look down' windows in the floor:
Tokyo%20Disney-6-M.jpg

After grabbing an ice cream we caught the elavator back down and headed over to the Pokemon Center. Sarah was in her element here. She's a really big fan of all things Pokemon:
Tokyo%20Disney-8-M.jpg

The 'Center' is really just a big store, it was mobbed the day we were there:
Tokyo%20Disney-9-M.jpg

After buying what seemed like half the store, we headed back to the station to head to Akihabara:
Tokyo%20Disney-11-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-12-M.jpg

We did see some interesting Disney items, still not sure what this was (EDIT: its a UHV Antenna):
Tokyo%20Disney-14-M.jpg

We rushed through Akihabara, in search of lunch, and didn't really stop in any of the famous places to browse:
Tokyo%20Disney-15-M.jpg

We then headed over to the cities large modern Catholic Cathederal, St. Marys:
Tokyo%20Disney-21-M.jpg

And the beautiful gardens attached to the Four Seasons Hotel which is across the street:
Tokyo%20Disney-23-M.jpg

The sun was setting, so we headed back to our hotel, and grabbed a bite to eat, along with dessert:
Tokyo%20Disney-30-M.jpg

My DS would just love that Pokemon Centre. I don't think we'd get out of that store at all!

Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter