Spring Break 2013 - TDR & Tokyo - Trip Report

Those stand-by times are just ridiculous! Are they like that all the time?

This Spring break was particularly bad! I think will get worse as the year goes on though because of the anniversary events. Last year was another record breaking year for the resort and I think the anniversary will be another record breaker!

Spring break, Golden Week, weekends, large holidays definitely will be busy or at capacity. If you go in between events or during the weekdays (non holidays) it's not bad at all. Even during Halloween and Christmas there are days you can go that are not so busy. In Late Jan.-feb. the parks are pretty dead so it's the best time if you only care about attractions. The crowd calendar is a really good resource to check before coming.

For example today was not busy at all. We popped in after taking our time chatting over a late lunch at Disneyland Hotel and went in the park (TDL) around 2:30pm. We waited for the parade which was cancelled due to wind at 2:50pm. Had no FP's but did Pooh (20 minutes), Teacups (ten minutes), Haunted Mansion (walk on), Snow White (15 minutes), Philharmagic (walk on), Pirates (walk on). Timing is everything.

I'd have to agree, timing is everything (and good use of FPs). We walked on to Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Tiki, Small World & Pooh on March 30th starting at 7:30PM.

So its on to Day 4. This was to be our last day/morning in TDL as we were moving to the Four Seasons in Marunouchi for the final four nights of our trip.

Tuesday was our 2nd rainy morning and there were long lines at the monorail station as we headed over to TDS:
Tokyo%20Disney-1-M.jpg

So we got in line and waited our turn to get up to the platform.....only to find that this was the line to buy tickets - sheesh - oh well, only 20mins wasted lol.

The 'hotel' entry crowd was a lot smaller this morning....I wonder why ;)
Tokyo%20Disney-2-M.jpg

Da girls. We'd come prepared with Gore-Tex jackets and waterproof boots:
Tokyo%20Disney-3-M.jpg

We hopped on the monorail and found.....nobody driving.....I guess they're controlled from the rear?
Tokyo%20Disney-4-M.jpg

At the TDS entry plaza we found the missing crowd. We noticed that nobody really had waterproof footwear, but everyone had an umbrella:
Tokyo%20Disney-5-M.jpg

The sea of umbrellas headed to ToT & TSM:
Tokyo%20Disney-6-M.jpg

But our target of the morning was Indy & Raging Spirits. We grabbed a FP for Indy and headed to RS. Once inside the Raging Spirits line, we loved the theming, notice the 'back' of the LCD panel:
Tokyo%20Disney-7-M.jpg

With the poor light and using my waterproof P&S, it was hard to 'stop' the cars on the track:
Tokyo%20Disney-8-M.jpg

Here's a car in the loop, which is pretty tight:
Tokyo%20Disney-9-M.jpg

After scoring a front row seat for Raging Spirits, it was off to use our FPs for Indy. Sarah hams it up in the FP return line:
Tokyo%20Disney-10-M.jpg

I don't know how much of the pre-ride line we missed by using FPs, but in DL the FP line merges with the Standby line before any of the cool pre-ride stuff happens (well room, collapsing ceiling room etc.).

So the first room we really see is the large cavern which was well themed:
Tokyo%20Disney-11-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-12-M.jpg

Tokyo%20Disney-13-M.jpg

Again we scored front row seats, with Sarah driving:
Tokyo%20Disney-14-M.jpg

Then we headed over to Sinbad for a final voyage. At this point the sun came out and we took the opportunity of a short curry popcorn line to make a purchase:
Tokyo%20Disney-15-M.jpg

From here we headed over to American Waterfront to the Duffy store. I'm still not sure what folks see in Duffy - sure he's a cute bear but......:
Tokyo%20Disney-16-M.jpg

And with that, it was time to head back to the hotel, grab our bags and check out :(

Waiting for the cab to take us to central Tokyo:
Tokyo%20Disney-17-M.jpg

Goodbye Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, we'll be back:
Tokyo%20Disney-18-M.jpg

FWIW, we think our room was to the right of the top center room shown here (top floor):
Tokyo%20Disney-19-M.jpg

Next up, Tokyo.....

I've really enjoyed your trip report and pictures thus far. Are you going to write up the rest of your trip as well? We're hoping to go to Japan next Spring so I'm currently devouring anything Japan-related I can get my hands on.

Thanks,

I've really enjoyed your trip report and pictures thus far. Are you going to write up the rest of your trip as well? We're hoping to go to Japan next Spring so I'm currently devouring anything Japan-related I can get my hands on.

Thanks,

Yes. I'll start loading pics to my SmugMug account later today and then start writing. It'll include the trip we did to the Studio Ghibli Museum.

Followed you on FB... great to see the extra pics... especially the TDL hotel... kind of like the grand minus the PJ's!

Whoa... & I thought the phone in the bathroom at the grand was nice... :rotfl:

I've mad it to the Floridian and the Californian... but my only trip to Vegas involved a stop over from CA....

Day 4 - Off to Tokyo.....

But first.......the following link is to a set of photos taken in the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. Its just some of the artwork, themeing, and architectural touches.

The following is hanging in the Marceline Salon (Concierge area):
Tokyo%20Disney-1-M.jpg

Here's the detail above one of the mirrors in our room:
Tokyo%20Disney-16-M.jpg

Anyway....here's the link to the gallery: Click the pic:

I love the detail of the mirror.

And from what I saw from your smugmug account, the hotel is very similar to the one in Hong Kong.

Where were the pictures of Walt taken from?

GREAT report and pictures. Glad you had a fun time. We are thinking about going to TDL next March or April ourselves.

May we ask a few questions please?

When you booked your trip, were Hotel, Special 4 day park hopper tickets, and public transportation all purchased as part of a package? or did you have to buy them separately? Did you do it all online, over the phone, or at the Resort?

How long was the line for the gyoza sausage buns at Disney Sea?

Thanks in advance.

Very nice.

I would have guessed that it was either a mirror or a headboard. Either one I like it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter