Spoke to principal- I'm not a happy camper-- update post 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
My DH works for the school dist and has been test administrator for standardized testing... a different test but I am sure there are similar requirements. When he was administering the test, he could not talk to anyone about the questions (not even me) and he had to go through special training. I am guessing that school funding is attached to this testing (it is here)... I am also guessing that the make-up dates for this testing are during your planned vacation.

You really don't want your child doing all the testing in one day... no matter how intelligent your child is, testing takes its toll on the test taker and you want the best of possible outcomes for your child.

I agree with the post that asked why you didn't shift dates last spring when you heard there was a conflict? Also, I am wondering why you are taking a 5th grader out of 2 weeks of school! Thats a lot for a child to make up regardless of the testing issue! Do you have any idea how much more difficult it will be for your child to do the work and catch up to the rest of the class? (I won't even get into the extra work you are asking the teacher to do for 2 weeks of make-up work - I can't blame the principal for being upset)

We have the FCATs in Florida...similar tests, drive me crazy!

I looked up ISTEP info online because I was curious, and one of the official websites said that the 08-09 school year is the only one where they will be testing the kids twice...in the spring and the fall! So, your son should be able to be tested in the spring to ensure that he is not left behind :rolleyes: and if your principal is not working with you, I would go above his/her head.

The reason they test twice a year is to track progress in teaching... not to make up for a missed test. If you miss one test, you can't track the progress.

It's principal, not principle.

THANK YOU!!! This has been driving me crazy on all of the back-to-school threads...:thumbsup2

Are you people seriously advocating duping the system by claiming you're "investigating homeschooling" when you know darn well you just want to go and ride Dumbo?! Good grief!

And what kind of oddball principals have you all been dealing with that you seem so sure that this one (who, keep in mind, is GOING OUT OF HER WAY for the OP) is just a bully trying to steamroll the good parents of America?

Is it so hard to believe that most educators have the students'/school's best interest at heart as much as they possibly can?

Sheesh...you couldn't pay me enough to deal with this...

If you can't get an exception or get anyone to work with you, is it worth it to have your son have to do summer school? And suppose you disenroll him, are you sure you're going to be able to reenroll him in the same class? is a Disney trip with free dining really worth all this trouble? really?
We had to cancel a Disney trip after we moved back to Texas following katrina. My kids were bummed, but as I told them, him, sometimes these things happen and you just have to deal with the disappointment. we don't always get what we want and school and work need to come first. What would you do if your boss said no, would you quit, the expect to be hired back?

I would definitely not withdraw the child and then try to re-register after the trip. You will not be guaranteed a spot in the same class or even in the same school. Kids who register after school starts are often sent across the district because there's no room in their home school. If you're happy with his current placement, taking him out of school would be a huge risk.

I would contact the district office and see if you can discuss it with someone there. Ask if there are any options if your son is on an unexcused absence during the test. Then you can weigh the options and know for sure what he's facing if you go ahead with the trip.

I'm just blown back by how many people are encouraging the op to just disregard the rules. Testing or no testing, how is that even wise taking a child out for two weeks in the beginning of the year for something as frivlous as a Disney Trip.

THANK YOU!!! This has been driving me crazy on all of the back-to-school threads...:thumbsup2

Are you people seriously advocating duping the system by claiming you're "investigating homeschooling" when you know darn well you just want to go and ride Dumbo?! Good grief!

And what kind of oddball principals have you all been dealing with that you seem so sure that this one (who, keep in mind, is GOING OUT OF HER WAY for the OP) is just a bully trying to steamroll the good parents of America?

Is it so hard to believe that most educators have the students'/school's best interest at heart as much as they possibly can?

Sheesh...you couldn't pay me enough to deal with this...

And thank you. You are absolutely right.

Frankly, as much as I love Disney, no trip, free dining or not, is worth this hassle. I personally feel my children's education is more important than a trip to Disney (and yes, we have taken the kids out of school for vacation), a trip no one is entitled to.

I'm just blown back by how many people are encouraging the op to just disregard the rules. Testing or no testing, how is that even wise taking a child out for two weeks in the beginning of the year for something as frivlous as a Disney Trip.

And not simply that, flat out lying. :confused3

When I was in the fourth grade, many years ago, I missed all the standardized testing during our two week vacation. I had to make up the tests when I got back. I took all of them on the first day back by my own choice. The teacher specifically said I could do some the next day, but I wanted to get finished with them. The scores were fine.

I know my situation is different from OPs DS, but I wanted to share what I think is a similar situation that worked out OK.

And thank you. You are absolutely right.

Frankly, as much as I love Disney, no trip, free dining or not, is worth this hassle. I personally feel my children's education is more important than a trip to Disney (and yes, we have taken the kids out of school for vacation), a trip no one is entitled to.

And I don't know if it's the case here, but isn't a lot of this testing tied into funding for the school? So if a kid isn't in school for the test, his school would lose money?

I'm with you--I love Disney, but education is more important.

We are missing ISTEP too - sent a note to school to both kids teachers (K and 3rd) on the second day of school (yesterday). Maybe because my kids are younger, they didn't have a problem with it?????

And as the OP said, "what if they were sick?" It's not unrealistic for a kid to miss three mornings?

ISTEP only takes 5 days so your 3rd grader can take it. The OP is missing the entire 2 weeks that the schools are allowed to give it.

I am a former Indiana teacher and now have kids in school. I cannot believe your former principal said it was okay. We are given those dates so many times and told not to make appointments, be late, etc. I do pull my kids out for a week of Disney, but I would never think to do it during ISTEP. Unfortunately, the schools are judged by these scores. Do I think that is right, NO, but it is how it is.

Your fourth grader can probably take it in one day. I would not want them to leave the writing parts until the end. He'll be too tired to think and write. See if they can arrange it so his stronger subjects are towards the end of the day. You might not care what he gets, but you can bet the school does. His teacher will probably be scrutinized also, and she'll probably have to come up with a plan on how to raise his scores. I am not saying this because I think he will get low scores if you do it in one day, I just want people to see it from the other point of view.

Someone said something about the spring testing. Indiana is moving their test to spring. This year, and only this year, the kids have to be tested twice so they can get a benchmark for spring testing. I doubt that test will have any bearing on failing and summer school. Yes, I do think it is another wasted week, but I do think spring testing is better so I can't complain too much.

I hope it all works out. I really do hate how much emphasis is put on these tests. They are not a fair way to judge, especially when they post scores in the newspaper of the affluent areas right next to inner city schools. I'll get off my soapbox now!

Ok I've got my flame suit on. but all you moms are encouraging one another to start seriously cheating the system simply to go to WDW?

So I guess when kids start skipping class to hang out at the mall ( and don't give me that crap about disneyworld being educational, it's a vacation destination. period!) that's cool too.
Great message to send to a 4th grader. Lie, Lie, lie and if that doesn't work throw a major temper tatrum by pulling your kid out of the school so you get what you want, namely an all important trip to wdw.

i bet you are the same guys who will flame some one for going to disneyworld on credit.....

I think we're inhaling a little too much pixie dust here...

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate and I am not familiar w/ this particular test, so I can only comment on standardized tests in general.

But...

Have any of you people ever even heard of No Child Left Behind? Do you have any idea the requirements teachers have to meet to "be acredited"? Two week Disney trips just don't fit into the lesson plans ( or testing schedules)

I cant remember what test it is it might be the one your talking about to see the schools progress . Anyways theres one test that most dont know that a aprent can waiver the right for there child to take the test. Schools frown unpon it and dont tell the parent it can be done. I know because they have some of the special needs parents waive their right. They cant straight out say it. I know because a teacher i knew said she had bad test anxiety and if her daughter is the same way she will sign the waiver and not put her child through it.

They also have make up dates, atleast they should.

Like i said not to sure what test it is maybe you can do a search on it

:thumbsup2 I agree--an education is MUCH more important than missing two weeks of school for ANY trip. Not to mention teaching a child honesty, integrity, responsibility. . .

Wonder if the OP would want the child's teacher to take 2 weeks off at a time during testing for a trip?

(And yes, I'm a teacher AND a mother. . .and we do our vacationing when school's out!)

I have thought about this very scenario many times in my head. If I was in this situation I would simply say that these are the dates of our trip- and that I am perfectly willing to bring along work or just cover the missed material on our own. In your case- I would just say that "yes this is when we are going and he's going to miss the test. No, he isn't taking summer school".
You are his parents and you are the ones who make the decisions for him.
If he doesn't show up for summer school, then what are they going to do? The whole thing is ridiculous. Standardized tests stink.
Go and have fun and take care of this problem when you get home.
It's a tough one, good luck with it!
-Sarah

So, what if your son was sick during this testing time or had an accident or something that prevented him with an excused absence ... would they make arragements for him to make up the tests? Maybe do it on a weekend when he was better or something like that? Or would they make him go to summer school?

This is what I was thinking. I'm in a different State but for our State testing there is a procedure for make ups. I'm thinking that there must be in your state as well. Kids get sick on testing day, have family emergencies, whatever. A student would not be excused from testing due to a vacation though. What about attendance policies? In my state, a two week vacation would most likely result in truancy being filed on the parent.

I wonder if this principal just doesn't want to work with you?

OK I need to step in here and have my say in all of this...

Give the OP a break. She was given incorrect info from the old Principal. How did she know that they were getting a new one this school year? Now I never heard of this test. When I went to school there was no tests like this. The only big test I ever took was my SAT in the 12th grade. And then I didnt have to take it either. I chose to take it. OP, I know you have a trip planned and all and you dont wanna post pone it. I understand that. I had to post pone our disney trip for 4 yrs and finally took it 3 weeks ago all because DH kept getting deployed. However, would you rather sacrafice your child's education or money?

Your trip can be post poned. You may have to pay a small fee to change your dates, but change the dates when the test is over. Give your son something to look forward to even more once the test is over. Give him some sort of an incentive. Tell him if he does extremely well tell him you'll buy a special gift in Disney for doing a good job. It doesnt hurt to award your child for doing a good job on something. My parents did it to me whenever I came home with a good report card. I always got money for every A I had on my report card. And when I got my score back from my SAT, and since I got such a high score, my mom awarded me by allowing me to go to Cancun for my graduation school trip and she paid for the whole thing for me to go. Disney will still be there a few days later. However, the test will not be there. You waited a long time Im sure to go to Disney. Whats an extra couple days?

Withdraw him from school and re-register AFTER your vacation. You have every right to explore your other schooling options. Call your district and tell them your planning to homeschool this will buy you at least a months time. Then after the vacation you could say homeschooling is NOT for you and that is when you re-register. Frankly I am so disgusted at how school boards try to control the decisions we make for our children but that is a debate left for another time. I

Is the 1Step a form a standardized testing used to determne AYP and funding? Ask the principle where exactly it states he cannot miss the testing. Know YOUR child's rights and call her bluff if you need too.

Who is to say your not homeschooling in Disney. We do.....I have two entire science and history units and one art unit planned over four full days in Epcot. We go over the material before arriving and take our notes with us...we then spend the time looking for examples of what we studied. Education come to life.....she is still talking about last years travel around the World Showcase. It is AMAZING. We did an entire science unit on the ocean in The Living Seas and we completed two history units in China and Japan. We are almost complete the language arts and Math lessons we will miss while away. All I will be taking is thre assessments. We have an understanding: we only leave for the parks AFTER language arts and math are complete. I think it is a fair trade.

I will get slammed by teachers on here stating you can not school in Disney...I beg to differ. That is why we "un-school" at home.

Good luck I think wat the school is doing to you is completely UNFAIR. A promise should be kept even though the principle that made it has moved on.

I think the principal is trying to intimidate you. I would call his bluff and demand that something be worked out. If all else fails, do the homeschooling "try out". Good luck and have fun on your trip!:)

The reason they test twice a year is to track progress in teaching... not to make up for a missed test. If you miss one test, you can't track the progress.

A teacher's perspective:
This attitude it the reason quality teachers are RUNNING from the profession as fast as possible!!!!! We are NOT out to get you or your kids. Good teachers care about their kids and not AYP. Could it just be possible that the school is trying to look out for the kid here and not their own interests. Mabye the principal realizes that the school system ill not let this one go and is trying to keep the child out of sumer school.I really get tired of parents who seem to think that all personell at schools are apethetic, underqualified and out to get as mucdh money as they can based on their kid's test scores. The majority of teachers do their job b/c they love helping kids, certianly not b/c they pay us a fortune. The school is not out to get your kids or take away your rights as a parent!!!!!!!! Standardized testing is important to trak STUDENT progress from year to year as well as within a given year. I agree that it is over used but some testing is necessary for a realistic progress assessment. The attidude that school officials have no say in when kids attend school is insane. A kid can't just come to school whenever the parent wants and leave when it is convinent for them. They would learn very little that way. Withdrawing the kid is going to cause more grief for the child than you realize he would be assigned to a new class and possibly a new school. Is it really worth it?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter