Spoke to principal- I'm not a happy camper-- update post 155

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnourwaytoWDW

<font color=red>Come on... Ratt was not even NEAR
Last May I spoke to my son's principal about us going away for 2 wks in Sept and how much of an issue was it going to be. She noted that the ISTEP testing will be going on and she was sure there was a way around it, like him coming in on the Saturday before and we agreed and left it at that. Well, she left.

New principal-had a meeting with her today at 2:00 and informed her of our trip and her eyes got huge and said "Oh no, that is ISTEP week. No, that's not good."
I politely explained what was said in May with the other principal and that we have not been on a family vacation in 6 years and this has been booked for over a year and paid in full.
But here is the real deal. It's not that she has a problem with him missing 2 weeks of school, it's the fact that he's missing ISTEP. If he takes the vacation while ISTEP is going on, it is an automatic unexcused absent and he fails the ISTEP. He will have to go to summer school, 4 weeks, every day, 1/2 day and then test out of that.
The ISTEP is the test the kids take to see their progress from the previous year. He will be tested on what her learned LAST year. Mind you he passed the ISTEPS from 3rd grade, take in 4th grade, and got good grades in the 4th grade, excellent attendance, all around good kid.
She got on the phone with school administration and asked them if this was correct. She said she'll call me back with the answer for sure, but as she was saying, that it doesn't look good.
These tests of kept under lock and key, signed out each morning and signed in each night.
She then asked if he could leave later than us and catch up to us. :eek: WTH?? No.
Could he leave a few days earlier and take the test. No. Could we change our trip dates. No. Well then, it looks as if he may be going to summer school.
Not happy with this, I got on the computer and found out. The test is given 3 mornings between Sept 15-26. All together that test takes 4.5-6.5 hours. That's it.
So I called and suggest, for him to take the whole test on the 15th. She said that is a lot of testing for one day, about 8 hours. I told her he's a tough kid and could take it if he knew what the alternative was. She said that it was something to think about. She also said that if this was the case, they would have to hire someone to administer the test. I told her that if it's a point of pushing someone over the edge, I would donate Webkinz to their classroom.
So, there it is.
There has GOT to be a way besides him going to summer school!!
I wonder if the doctor will give a sanity excuse for mom and he has to come with me.:laughing:

So, what if your son was sick during this testing time or had an accident or something that prevented him with an excused absence ... would they make arragements for him to make up the tests? Maybe do it on a weekend when he was better or something like that? Or would they make him go to summer school?

I would really hope that the school would work with you on this issue. You can't tell me that they have never been faced with this issue before - even if the circumstances for being out were different.

good-luck getting this resolved and I really hope you can find a compromise. I'm pulling my DD out of school for our trip in Dec. We have not had a vacation in a LONG time and for my family's sanity, we could really use this vacation. ;)

Withdraw him from school and re-register AFTER your vacation. You have every right to explore your other schooling options. Call your district and tell them your planning to homeschool this will buy you at least a months time. Then after the vacation you could say homeschooling is NOT for you and that is when you re-register. Frankly I am so disgusted at how school boards try to control the decisions we make for our children but that is a debate left for another time. I

Is the 1Step a form a standardized testing used to determne AYP and funding? Ask the principle where exactly it states he cannot miss the testing. Know YOUR child's rights and call her bluff if you need too.

Who is to say your not homeschooling in Disney. We do.....I have two entire science and history units and one art unit planned over four full days in Epcot. We go over the material before arriving and take our notes with us...we then spend the time looking for examples of what we studied. Education come to life.....she is still talking about last years travel around the World Showcase. It is AMAZING. We did an entire science unit on the ocean in The Living Seas and we completed two history units in China and Japan. We are almost complete the language arts and Math lessons we will miss while away. All I will be taking is thre assessments. We have an understanding: we only leave for the parks AFTER language arts and math are complete. I think it is a fair trade.

I will get slammed by teachers on here stating you can not school in Disney...I beg to differ. That is why we "un-school" at home.

Good luck I think wat the school is doing to you is completely UNFAIR. A promise should be kept even though the principle that made it has moved on.

Good luck, there is always a way to get things done. Once I heard " Never take a no from a person who does not have the authority to give a yes" Just repeating this is my mind has gotten me through alot of salespeople, work situations etc. There is a way, take it as far up as you can.

I hope your school can work this out with you. Can you contact the previous principal to see how he/she would have gotten around this? There may be something the new principal doesn't know.

I guess my question is back last May when you talked to the principal and were told about the testing why you then didn't tweak your dates a little? At that point the trip wasn't paid for you could have changed it.

It's NOT good that he is missing that testing. It's a tool for you and the teachers to measure his progress. They give those tests over several days because they can be grueling. He is a tough kid? You seriously want to put him through that all because of a vacation you could have and should have changed?

I would see about changing your dates and putting your childs education above free dining. If you explain the problem to Disney they will probably allow you to changes the dates. The airlines will charge you a small fee and you child will be tested properly with his peers!

Taking him out of school for 2 weeks in September? From you post it looks like he is going into the 5th grade? We are not talking about a child in kindergarten, he is going to miss a lot of work over 2 weeks. Common free dining isn't worth THAT!

I'd go the homeschooling excuse route too. It'll be over my cold, dead, decaying body that a school board will EVER tell me I can't take my child out of school, or make them go to summer school for a stupid reason like that!

When the Principal gives birth to my child, then she can have a say.:mad:

I guess my question is back last May when you talked to the principal and were told about the testing why you then didn't tweak your dates a little? At that point the trip wasn't paid for you could have changed it.

It's NOT good that he is missing that testing. It's a tool for you and the teachers to measure his progress. They give those tests over several days because they can be grueling. He is a tough kid? You seriously want to put him through that all because of a vacation you could have and should have changed?

I would see about changing your dates and putting your childs education above free dining. If you explain the problem to Disney they will probably allow you to changes the dates. The airlines will charge you a small fee and you child will be tested properly with his peers!

Taking him out of school for 2 weeks in September? From you post it looks like he is going into the 5th grade? We are not talking about a child in kindergarten, he is going to miss a lot of work over 2 weeks. Common free dining isn't worth THAT!

Personally, I don't give a care about testing. I think standardized tests are wrong if they are used to pass or fail a child. A child with straight A's may fail a test whereas a child who continually makes F's can pass a test. Tests are NOT the know all/tell all.

When the Principal gives birth to my child, then she can have a say.:mad:

Amen ....

Given HOW much MORE school work is "expected" of parents and/or at home today, I'm growing weary of the "your child must attend" mandates. I hope this works out for you. As the parent of a child at the upper end of the academic spectrum and for whom nothing extra is done at school, I know I'd have no trouble taking my child out and I'd balk at the summer school. As a family, our vacation time is seriously, seriously limited and school breaks don't always work. We almost always have to go during school.

But ... you'll draw some fire from those who don't believe a child should be taken out of school. Administrators can say what they want, but these kinds of tests are really more about "proving" they are doing their job not making sure a kid is on track. And, proving that they are doing their job ... it's really ALL about the money

I say do WHATEVER you have to do.

Hope to hear this turns out okay.

Last May I spoke to my son's principal about us going away for 2 wks in Sept and how much of an issue was it going to be. She noted that the ISTEP testing will be going on and she was sure there was a way around it, like him coming in on the Saturday before and we agreed and left it at that. Well, she left.

New principal-had a meeting with her today at 2:00 and informed her of our trip and her eyes got huge and said "Oh no, that is ISTEP week. No, that's not good."
I politely explained what was said in May with the other principal and that we have not been on a family vacation in 6 years and this has been booked for over a year and paid in full.
But here is the real deal. It's not that she has a problem with him missing 2 weeks of school, it's the fact that he's missing ISTEP. If he takes the vacation while ISTEP is going on, it is an automatic unexcused absent and he fails the ISTEP. He will have to go to summer school, 4 weeks, every day, 1/2 day and then test out of that.
The ISTEP is the test the kids take to see their progress from the previous year. He will be tested on what her learned LAST year. Mind you he passed the ISTEPS from 3rd grade, take in 4th grade, and got good grades in the 4th grade, excellent attendance, all around good kid.
She got on the phone with school administration and asked them if this was correct. She said she'll call me back with the answer for sure, but as she was saying, that it doesn't look good.
These tests of kept under lock and key, signed out each morning and signed in each night.
She then asked if he could leave later than us and catch up to us. :eek: WTH?? No.
Could he leave a few days earlier and take the test. No. Could we change our trip dates. No. Well then, it looks as if he may be going to summer school.
Not happy with this, I got on the computer and found out. The test is given 3 mornings between Sept 15-26. All together that test takes 4.5-6.5 hours. That's it.
So I called and suggest, for him to take the whole test on the 15th. She said that is a lot of testing for one day, about 8 hours. I told her he's a tough kid and could take it if he knew what the alternative was. She said that it was something to think about. She also said that if this was the case, they would have to hire someone to administer the test. I told her that if it's a point of pushing someone over the edge, I would donate Webkinz to their classroom.
So, there it is.
There has GOT to be a way besides him going to summer school!!
I wonder if the doctor will give a sanity excuse for mom and he has to come with me.:laughing:

I don't know about that particular test but we have to give certain tests on certain days in Texas. We can't give a child a test early. Some tests can be made up others can't. It depends if it is necessary to pass those tests to be promoted. I know that in Texas, 5th graders have to pass the reading and math tests to be promoted. There are multiple opportunities to pass the test.

One problem that the school is having is accountability. They are accountable for the results of your son's tests. So, if he doesn't take them, they can't determine if additional instruction is needed.(summerschool) Even if they feel confident that he is ready for the next grade, they can't make an exception for him and not other kids, that wouldn't be fair to other students. (If parents knew that their child was going to fail, they could just have them stay home on the testing dates.) I do realize that is not your situation.

I'm sorry that this is frustrating for you. I don't agree with the pull him and re-register him idea at all. It sounds like the principal didn't exactly encourage this vacation timeline when you talked to her last spring. She did notify you that testing was occuring during your planned trip.

I don't know your situation and can only speak from mine, but we are going the same time as you and both of my daughters will be missing 6 days of school for our vacation. School starts next week so they have no idea that the girls will be out for that length of time. I will deal with their reactions when I tell them...but I have to agree with most people on this thread. They are MY children, not the school's and while I appreciate the position they are in trying to educate the world ( my brother, cousin and aunt are all educators so I really do appreciate), I am in charge of when we take our vacation..but we don't have much of a choice when we can go..I work in Travel and Tourism and cannot get away during typical vacation times. That being said I don't think I would want to go to Disney when everyone else does...too busy and too hot!!!! If there is any fallout from this I will deal with it and the kids will continue on their educational journey unhurt...do I think their chances of becoming Prime Minister of Canada have been damaged? Uh, not so much!!

We are missing ISTEP too - sent a note to school to both kids teachers (K and 3rd) on the second day of school (yesterday). Maybe because my kids are younger, they didn't have a problem with it?????

And as the OP said, "what if they were sick?" It's not unrealistic for a kid to miss three mornings?

Wow thats a very interesting way of learning. What a better way to learn about the culture and histroy then talking to people who are from those countries. Even text books cant do that! Your giving me ideas. :rotfl: When we have kids, I wanna home school them. What a better way to teach then to take a "field trip" to Disney and let them learn there. Another good thing about learning a subject in Disney is science. Between future world, animal kingdom and the living seas, you could learn a lot. History can even be covered between world showcase, especially in American Adventure and the Hall of Presidents in MK. All you need is Math and Im sure theres even something in Disney that could teach Math. Not sure but Im sure theres something.

Withdraw him from school and re-register AFTER your vacation. You have every right to explore your other schooling options. Call your district and tell them your planning to homeschool this will buy you at least a months time. Then after the vacation you could say homeschooling is NOT for you and that is when you re-register. Frankly I am so disgusted at how school boards try to control the decisions we make for our children but that is a debate left for another time. I

Is the 1Step a form a standardized testing used to determne AYP and funding? Ask the principle where exactly it states he cannot miss the testing. Know YOUR child's rights and call her bluff if you need too.

Who is to say your not homeschooling in Disney. We do.....I have two entire science and history units and one art unit planned over four full days in Epcot. We go over the material before arriving and take our notes with us...we then spend the time looking for examples of what we studied. Education come to life.....she is still talking about last years travel around the World Showcase. It is AMAZING. We did an entire science unit on the ocean in The Living Seas and we completed two history units in China and Japan. We are almost complete the language arts and Math lessons we will miss while away. All I will be taking is thre assessments. We have an understanding: we only leave for the parks AFTER language arts and math are complete. I think it is a fair trade.

I will get slammed by teachers on here stating you can not school in Disney...I beg to differ. That is why we "un-school" at home.

Good luck I think wat the school is doing to you is completely UNFAIR. A promise should be kept even though the principle that made it has moved on.

I did a little google and it looks like there are dates for retaking missed ISTEP tests. I think your principle is partially bluffing, if he fails the tests he has to take summer school. But he should be allowed to retest. As for hiring, I dout your son will be the only one in the school to miss a test and not to sound heartless but budgeting the school isn't a parents job.

If these tests are that important, then I'm sure they would have make up dates for them. If a child is sick during that week would they have to accept a failing grade and go to summer school, I highly doubt it.

I think the principal is trying to intimidate you. I would call his bluff and demand that something be worked out. If all else fails, do the homeschooling "try out". Good luck and have fun on your trip!:)

Wow thats a very interesting way of learning. What a better way to learn about the culture and histroy then talking to people who are from those countries. Even text books cant do that! Your giving me ideas. :rotfl: When we have kids, I wanna home school them. What a better way to teach then to take a "field trip" to Disney and let them learn there. Another good thing about learning a subject in Disney is science. Between future world, animal kingdom and the living seas, you could learn a lot. History can even be covered between world showcase, especially in American Adventure and the Hall of Presidents in MK. All you need is Math and Im sure theres even something in Disney that could teach Math. Not sure but Im sure theres something.

As for the math thing they learn how to budget their spending money:thumbsup2 that is what I stated in my letter to my kids principle. :cool1: we leave in 8 days and they will only have 4 days in school and then its MICKEY TIME:cool1: :cool1: :banana: :banana:

We have the FCATs in Florida...similar tests, drive me crazy!

I looked up ISTEP info online because I was curious, and one of the official websites said that the 08-09 school year is the only one where they will be testing the kids twice...in the spring and the fall! So, your son should be able to be tested in the spring to ensure that he is not left behind :rolleyes: and if your principal is not working with you, I would go above his/her head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter