Spoke to principal- I'm not a happy camper-- update post 155

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent logic.

Really? You would withdraw your child for a VACATION and then re-enroll them so that they could take the tests? Do you realize the messages that you are sending to your children. First of all, your child will think that there is always a way to get around rules to achieve what they want. This may sound like you are encouraging them to do some out of the box thinking... just remember this when they do this same thinking on your rules.

Secondly, I hwould have changed my dates when the old principal mentioned that testing was that week. Yes, there was a way around it then (and I'm not sure why this way isn't available to you now, honestly), but changing your vacation dates would have told your child how important their education is to you and that they should value it as well. I really feel that testing is the equivalent to you having a mandatory meeting with the partners. Would you try to get around that? Not likely since it may mean your job... which is what this means to your kid.

As far as the comments about kids having mandatory things at school and them interfering with your home life... that's life people. Mandatory things come up at work all the time and you have to play the game in order to get past them. I always tell my kids that school is their work.

Sorry if I'm being harsh, but people don't seem to understand that education is important and the teachers aren't making this stuff as they go along just to be a pain in your backside. They are given mandates by federal and state governments and have to adhere to them.

Don't like mandatory testing? Look into what the "No Child Left Behind" legislation really says and contact your state reps. That's where it's coming from, not your teachers and administrators!

That said... I hope you can work something out and that your family has a much deserved happy vacation. If the school was willing to bend the rules last summer, they need to work with you now. While my approach would have been different (I've also been burned by this type of thing in the past) you are where you are. Throwing a tantrum and pulling your kid isn't the answer. Proving to your child that adults can come up with semi-rational solutions will be a lesson he may not be tested on, but will serve him right in the future. Good luck! :goodvibes

oh..very good..i was about to add that to my post but chickened out..dinner together every night and weekends together is our family time!

My DH is gone from 9 in the morning until 9 at night. Our family time is pretty limited to the weekends, and then I have to work Sunday night. So pretty much, it's Saturday.

SO YEAH, VACATION TIME IS FAMILY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? You think a taking your child out of school for a vacation will comfort you at their gravesite. I've read some ridiculous things on this board, but that tops them. True there may or may not be time for it later, but if you're worried about what may or may not happen you will miss out on a lot in life. You don't have to be at WDW to make the most of your time together.

Thank you so much for mocking me at this time in my life...must say, you're the first to tell me that the things that are comforting me at this point are "ridiculous".

No, you don't have to be at WDW...but the family trip we took to Sesame Place last year has provided me with a lot of comfort the past three weeks.

As ignorant and rude as you've been, I still hope you never find out whether you are right or wrong in this case. I would wish the loss of a child on no one.

You must be kidding! :rotfl:

I agree with you, I hope that she is kidding. If your children only did what they wanted to do, they wouldn't be going to school. If you give any child that option, of course they are going to not want to take the test. However like it or not, if it's a school (or district) rule, if applies to your children as well. I don't like the standardized testing b/c teachers end up teaching the test mainly.

Thank you so much for mocking me at this time in my life...must say, you're the first to tell me that the things that are comforting me at this point are "ridiculous".

No, you don't have to be at WDW...but the family trip we took to Sesame Place last year has provided me with a lot of comfort the past three weeks.

As ignorant and rude as you've been, I still hope you never find out whether you are right or wrong in this case. I would wish the loss of a child on no one.

Actually ignorance can go more than one way sweety. I have lost one child, and almost lost a 2nd child and I almost died with the 2nd one.

Seriously? You think a taking your child out of school for a vacation will comfort you at their gravesite. I've read some ridiculous things on this board, but that tops them. True there may or may not be time for it later, but if you're worried about what may or may not happen you will miss out on a lot in life. You don't have to be at WDW to make the most of your time together.

Actually, your response to a greiving parent is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board.

This person lost their oldest child!!!!!! How dare you judge how choose to comfort themselves during this difficult time.

My DH is gone from 9 in the morning until 9 at night. Our family time is pretty limited to the weekends, and then I have to work Sunday night. So pretty much, it's Saturday.

SO YEAH, VACATION TIME IS FAMILY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are 52 Saturdays in a year...still more time than 1 week in Disney..my point is you should make your family time every chance you get not once a year or, that once a year may never come

My DD and DH sit at the kitchen table and do art projects..stupid little crafts that you buy in a box but DD looks forward to that "family time"

Actually ignorance can go more than one way sweety. I have lost one child, and almost lost a 2nd child and I almost died with the 2nd one.

I'm very sorry to hear that. As I said, I would wish it on no one. There was nothing ignorant about my post, however. I would never take something that gave you comfort and label it "ridiculous"...we all do what we need to to get through this kind of thing. And please don't condescend to call me "sweetie"....I didn't call you names, even condescendingly sweet ones..

Actually, your response to a greiving parent is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board.

This person lost their oldest child!!!!!! How dare you judge how choose to comfort themselves during this difficult time.

Thank you, Mighty Mom...I appreciate it. :hug:

Thank you for the excellent links. :worship:
Most people that I have spoken with have never heard of L. Vygotsky.
I first learned of him several years ago while speaking with one of curriculum developers from k12. The concept that children learn differently caused me to think back at my own learning experience. While fortunate enough to have an excellent private school education it was not until college that I felt my teacher/professor appreciated what I brought to the table. I was "that kid" they just could not figure out. While fourth grade division was essential I would have prefered talking about the Cold War and the Soviets invading Afghanistan. :rotfl: Oh no! I am showing my age. :rolleyes1

Most people don't know who Vygotsky is because they never took an education course.

:rotfl2: :lmao:

I wanted to add that my oldest child died this summer....there is nothing like burying your child to change your priorities. Yes, there MIGHT be time later for family time/ vacation time. Or...there might not be.

Which scenario will comfort you over the gravesite? That they didn't miss a day of school? Or that you made the most of the time you had TOGETHER?

:confused3 :confused3

I went back and reread this post. Honestly the way I read it, I read it as a "what it" scenario not a fact. That teaches me to do two things at once. I am sorry for the loss of your child, as I know how that feels.
However, I still stand behind the fact that it makes no sense to make your child miss a standarized test for a family vacation b/c of "what if's".

Feel free to stand behind your OPINION....it is not FACT. I accept your apology in the spirit with which it was offered.

Most people don't know who Vygotsky is because they never took an education course.

Try teaching Vygotsky style in a "No Child Left Behind" world. The probelm is we are leaving them behind, because we refuse to see that everyone does not need to fit into the round hole all nicely and neatly. It is more difficult each year to teach for the sake of learning and understanding when we constatly have assessments that need to have good scores. Teach for the love of learning or teach to get the test results the district wants. I try to do both as a firm believer in the test will have good reulsts if I teach them what they need to know. Then the state tests them on things they tell us the student should be able to do with help and you can't help them on the test. :confused3
Since education tends to be cyclical this too shall pass, but at what price... learning!

I went back and reread this post. Honestly the way I read it, I read it as a "what it" scenario not a fact. That teaches me to do two things at once. I am sorry for the loss of your child, as I know how that feels.
However, I still stand behind the fact that it makes no sense to make your child miss a standarized test for a family vacation b/c of "what if's".

Wow, I've never reported a post before, but there's a first time for everything. What a terrible, horrible thing to say to that mom who lost a child.

It's all about priorities -- I'll agree with that. Kids won't remember that two weeks of school or a standardized test 40 years later. They'll remember the weeks they spent on a wonderful vacation with their family.

there are 52 Saturdays in a year...still more time than 1 week in Disney..my point is you should make your family time every chance you get not once a year or, that once a year may never come

My DD and DH sit at the kitchen table and do art projects..stupid little crafts that you buy in a box but DD looks forward to that "family time"

Ah, yep. and in those 52 Saturdays, a whole lot of household projects need to get done.

On a vacation, we can focus just on us.

Chances are, if you're on the DIS, you either know or are planning to know the joy of WDW.

Cherishing the memory of a trip CAN be a comfort in thinking about a loved one. Who am I to judge (or anyone else) the personal & individual feelings of someone who's lost a child? Carpe diem is very different from living life with worry and fear. If you worry about what your child might miss at school if you take a few days off, you may miss out on some OTHER important things.

Other poster: I'm so sorry for your loss. I can barely wrap my brain around it.

I think it's interesting that these dates are known so far in advance for teachers, but the only way I knew (as a parent) the dates of our testing was because it was listed on September's lunch calendar. :confused3 What's up with that??

Do other school systems announce the dates of the testing in advance to parents?

I am a parent of kids in an Indiana school system. The tests for many years now have been in September so this is nothing new.....the only change this year is that they are testing two different times as they are changing to spring testing from here on out. So the testing is always the same month. Also, our school system has a website that includes the school calendar for the current year plus at least one year ahead (as it gets close to the end of the current year, the 2nd year ahead will also be posted). So there is plenty of advance notice of when testing is. In addition, our school system sends out a newsletter over the summer that gives the upcoming year's important dates, including testing dates. Also, when we go in to register each fall we are given yet another calendar with all of these dates on them. So yes, we as parents do also know these dates well in advance. For future reference, if you go to the Indiana Department of Education's website (www.doe.state.in.us), there is a link to click on information on ISTEP testing which includes a link that will give you the scheduled dates (the 2-week time frame set up each year) for ISTEPs from now until the year 2014. The information isn't hard to find......and we all know they happen each year, so even if you don't want to look on the web, all you have to do is ask at your school and they can tell you. Not hard to keep on top of.

Ah, yep. and in those 52 Saturdays, a whole lot of household projects need to get done.

On a vacation, we can focus just on us.

WDW is such a blissful, carefree time for our family too. No cars, no computers, no work...only concerns what to choose to eat (the whole family together 3 meals a day!!)and what attraction to do next! I love the pure joy of "the world" and great to experience it 24-7 with the family together. The time is like no other.

:)
Thank you for the excellent links. :worship:
Most people that I have spoken with have never heard of L. Vygotsky.
I first learned of him several years ago while speaking with one of curriculum developers from k12. The concept that children learn differently caused me to think back at my own learning experience. While fortunate enough to have an excellent private school education it was not until college that I felt my teacher/professor appreciated what I brought to the table. I was "that kid" they just could not figure out. While fourth grade division was essential I would have prefered talking about the Cold War and the Soviets invading Afghanistan. :rotfl: Oh no! I am showing my age. :rolleyes1

You're welcome.
Here's another good one:)

http://www.funderstanding.com/vygotsky.cfm

:rotfl2: :lmao:

I wanted to add that my oldest child died this summer....there is nothing like burying your child to change your priorities. Yes, there MIGHT be time later for family time/ vacation time. Or...there might not be.

Which scenario will comfort you over the gravesite? That they didn't miss a day of school? Or that you made the most of the time you had TOGETHER?

:confused3 :confused3
this was the whole reason for my post much earlier that was exactly my point.. You may never know till its to late

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter