Splash and BTMR closed again this morning? [Thursday Feb. 22nd]

I agree. I've been planning our trip since August and we leave next week. If we run into these same problems, I will definitely contact Disney. All that planning for nothing? One or two rides down, okay that happens. But this many? Not acceptable.

There are a lot of us going next week, let's hope the issues get resolved by then.

We just got back to our resort after a day at MK. Lots of ride closures and big crowds.

However, I feel so lucky to have still had such a wonderful day. It was just me and my daughter and we have been enough times to not be sorely disappointed about missing anything. Our plans were disrupted due to closures, but we got eight fastpasses (including our fifth one for SDMT and our 6th one for Talking Mickey) plus we did Hall of Presidents, Monsters Inc. (twice), Philharmagic, and CoP. We also did the dessert party, watched the amazing HEA, and then saw Once Upon a Time.

The weather was perfect, the CMs were friendly, the grounds were beautiful, the fireworks were spectacular, and we happened to know (unlike the majority of people in the park) that we could just keep getting additional fastpasses. I suspect that system is going to change and we won’t be able to keep doing that, but for now, I am so happy that these boards have kept me up with the latest tips and tricks for making the best of our trip.

The park wasn’t perfect. But we got our money’s worth for sure.

Nothing better than an early morning ride on the People Mover. Let everyone else run to Space Mountain!

Agree! Love it first thing in the morning - and at the end of the night! (Mid-day break not so bad either!)

I hope that things go more smoothly for people in MK tomorrow! That's just too many closures for the park to absorb all at once...

I rope dropped it. DH was going to kill me. LOVE people mover.

How about you take my DH and DD with you and I'll take your DH with me and my other kids? At ~9:30, DH will pull out the phone, call up MDE, and tell me that People Mover has no wait.

True. Absolutely true.

And absolutely not in the plan.

To which he usually replies that Teacups have no wait either. :rolleyes:

For those of us here who are experiencing problems, how do we even know who the right person is to provide feedback to? Comments above suggested that customer service can still be really excellent if you know who to speak with, but not all of us know who that would even be. I guess it doesn’t matter since I’m not sure what they could even do for us at this point.

We just got back to our resort after a day at MK. Lots of ride closures and big crowds.

However, I feel so lucky to have still had such a wonderful day. It was just me and my daughter and we have been enough times to not be sorely disappointed about missing anything. Our plans were disrupted due to closures, but we got eight fastpasses (including our fifth one for SDMT and our 6th one for Talking Mickey) plus we did Hall of Presidents, Monsters Inc. (twice), Philharmagic, and CoP. We also did the dessert party, watched the amazing HEA, and then saw Once Upon a Time.

The weather was perfect, the CMs were friendly, the grounds were beautiful, the fireworks were spectacular, and we happened to know (unlike the majority of people in the park) that we could just keep getting additional fastpasses. I suspect that system is going to change and we won’t be able to keep doing that, but for now, I am so happy that these boards have kept me up with the latest tips and tricks for making the best of our trip.

The park wasn’t perfect. But we got our money’s worth for sure.

I'm glad you had a great day! My family's experience doesn't start and end with rides either. There's so much more to see and do. The closures are not good for sure and they need to get that ironed out. But I like your positive way of looking at things.

Also, I'm watching the app today to see if things get ironed out, hopefully the mountains have their acts together today.

EDIT: I'll put my thoughts back in.

There seems to be a lynch mob mentality that WDW is evil, only wants money, etc... I don't buy into it. YMMV, but just like you, I can think what I want. My feelings are:

As others who have gone or go to WDW often have said, this is NOT normal, far from it. So I'm not going to cast this blanket over all WDW all the time. It's simply not how it normally goes.

Nobody here knows why the rides are down. No clue. In this thread and others, there have been CMs or former CMs who say repeatedly that 80% or more of ride closures are guest related. That's consistent with what I've heard from CMs I know. What if a lot of this truly is guest related?? Should WDW come out and publicly blame their guests?

For argument sake, let's say it is mechanical... Even then we don't know why. If it's mechanical due to simple budget cuts and lack of routine and proper maintenance, then absolutely...shame on them. What if it's unforeseen failure? The Toyota Camry is the most reliable car on the planet. Even well maintained, it can break. It's a machine. WDW rides are pretty complex, very complex. We don't know what the problem is, mechanical, guest, a combination, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

If it's a guest issue, obviously WDW isn't going to blame their paying customers publicly. If it's mechanical, again, we don't know for sure what the source of that is. Everyone here, myself included, would simply be guessing. What's the solution? Again, we'd be guessing. Intentionally having a "slow season", shorter hours for more maintenance time, closing rides for long times for full overhauls, etc...all have very clear downsides which are griped about here often. As a poster here said, it's a bit of a Catch 22 for them. I'm confident they have some very smart people working at very high levels, and maybe I'm alone, but I have faith that they aren't sitting in the high corner office with a cigar and laughing evilly like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons as guests get turned away from rides. YMMV.

Last edited:
How about you take my DH and DD with you and I'll take your DH with me and my other kids? At ~9:30, DH will pull out the phone, call up MDE, and tell me that People Mover has no wait.

True. Absolutely true.

And absolutely not in the plan.

To which he usually replies that Teacups have no wait either. :rolleyes:

LOL! Deal!

I thought DH was going to kill me when I started leading us all to people mover. He was like, "Why on earth would we go on that now????? It's not worth wasting this rope drop time on." GASP!!! It's never wasted time on people mover!

LOL! Deal!

I thought DH was going to kill me when I started leading us all to people mover. He was like, "Why on earth would we go on that now????? It's not worth wasting this rope drop time on." GASP!!! It's never wasted time on people mover!

Yep, I'm so with your DH. I'm happy to go ride People Mover all afternoon long but not before 11!
It's only EMH but Space is already down so hopefully Frontierland will cooperate today popcorn::

You made me go look. :stir:

Space is still down but nothing else yet in the kingdom. EE is down but its the only one. So far, pretty normal. Hopefully some one at Disney gave a good sacrifice to the ride gods last night.

For those asking why people look, I don't go looking for closures (other than the last couple of days). I'm looking at wait times. But unanticipated closures are bright red in the Lines app so it's pretty hard not to notice them.

EDIT: I'll put my thoughts back in.

There seems to be a lynch mob mentality that WDW is evil, only wants money, etc... I don't buy into it. YMMV, but just like you, I can think what I want. My feelings are:

As others who have gone or go to WDW often have said, this is NOT normal, far from it. So I'm not going to cast this blanket over all WDW all the time. It's simply not how it normally goes.

Nobody here knows why the rides are down. No clue. In this thread and others, there have been CMs or former CMs who say repeatedly that 80% or more of ride closures are guest related. That's consistent with what I've heard from CMs I know. What if a lot of this truly is guest related?? Should WDW come out and publicly blame their guests?

For argument sake, let's say it is mechanical... Even then we don't know why. If it's mechanical due to simple budget cuts and lack of routine and proper maintenance, then absolutely...shame on them. What if it's unforeseen failure? The Toyota Camry is the most reliable car on the planet. Even well maintained, it can break. It's a machine. WDW rides are pretty complex, very complex. We don't know what the problem is, mechanical, guest, a combination, so I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

If it's a guest issue, obviously WDW isn't going to blame their paying customers publicly. If it's mechanical, again, we don't know for sure what the source of that is. Everyone here, myself included, would simply be guessing. What's the solution? Again, we'd be guessing. Intentionally having a "slow season", shorter hours for more maintenance time, closing rides for long times for full overhauls, etc...all have very clear downsides which are griped about here often. As a poster here said, it's a bit of a Catch 22 for them. I'm confident they have some very smart people working at very high levels, and maybe I'm alone, but I have faith that they aren't sitting in the high corner office with a cigar and laughing evilly like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons as guests get turned away from rides. YMMV.

I don’t think any of this really matters when you are there in the moment. And the fact that it keeps happening and has been ongoing for days it affects entire trips. I feel most people can brush off 1 ride down, probably even 2 if they come back up in a reasonable amount of time in one day. But when multiple rides are down all day long, for days in a row, it’s just too much. Guests can’t even make up the time that they lost.

People with trips coming up shortly should be concerned this is going to happen to them. I feel for those planning first time trips and this is what they see happening. I visit every 1-2 years and if a day like yesterday happened to me I would be at guest relations with a complaint and they had better give me some good customer service. Anytime fast passes are not going to cut it when I can’t trust their rides to be running.

I think we all know yesterday was a fluke of sorts. Hopefully that doesn't happen again. When it's your MK day, and maybe the only one you get every year or two, it's easy to get upset about it

This is one of the liabilities of having such high ticket prices. People tend to expect things to be (almost) perfect. There is room for a little error but not that much. As it should be

I don’t think any of this really matters when you are there in the moment. And the fact that it keeps happening and has been ongoing for days it affects entire trips. I feel most people can brush off 1 ride down, probably even 2 if they come back up in a reasonable amount of time in one day. But when multiple rides are down all day long, for days in a row, it’s just too much. Guests can’t even make up the time that they lost.

People with trips coming up shortly should be concerned this is going to happen to them. I feel for those planning first time trips and this is what they see happening. I visit every 1-2 years and if a day like yesterday happened to me I would be at guest relations with a complaint and they had better give me some good customer service. Anytime fast passes are not going to cut it when I can’t trust their rides to be running.

Agree. And let's face it, most Disney guests are one and done, so what kind of impression do you think this leaves?

We're easy going people. But if this happens in November when we go, yes, it would ruin our trip. My kids can't cope with 30, 45, 60 minute waits for rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter