Spinoff: Songs That Make You Sad

You Should Be Here by Cole Swindell

(This came out right when my BIL's cousin passed away unexpectedly. He was more like a brother to my brother-in-law and sister, so our whole family was very close. He left behind a wife and three young daughters. I still cry when I hear it.)

It's perfect outside its like god let me dial up the weather
Got the whole crew here, I ain't seen some of them in forever
It's one of those never forget it, better stop and take it in kinda scenes
Everything's just right yeah except for one thing
You should be here, standing with your arm around me here
Cutting up, cracking a cold beer
Saying cheers, hey y'all it's sure been a good year
It's one of those moments, that's got your name written all over it
And you know that if I had just one wish it'd
Be that you didn't have to miss this
You should be here
You'd be taking way too many pictures on your phone
Showing them off to everybody that you know back home
And even some you don't yeah
They say now you're in a better place
And I would be too if I could see your face
You should be here, standing with your arm around me here
Cutting up, cracking a cold beer
Saying cheers, hey y'all it's sure been a good year
It's one of those moments, that's got your name written all over it
And you know that if I had just one wish
It'd be that you didn't have to miss this
Aw you should be here
You'd be loving this, you'd be freaking out, you'd be smiling, yeah
I know you'd be all about what's going on right here right now
God I wish somehow you could be here
Oh you should be here
Yeah this is one of those moments that's got your name written all over it
And you know that if I have just one wish it'd be that you didn't have to miss this
Aw you should be here
You should be here

Oh, I thought of another one...

"In My Life" -

There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all...

About 5 or so years ago, we were w/ my parents in St. Augustine, FL (the city of my soul), & we had just sat down to eat at a table on the outside patio for my birthday dinner when the live music started. And it was this song...

My parents were younger & healthier. We were younger. It was my birthday. We were sitting in my favorite city, & it was one of those "chamber of commerce" days, weather-wise. The sun was setting, & there was a breeze coming off the water. Everything was just perfect. And, now, whenever I hear the song, I go right back to that moment.

Every first Saturday in May I cry.
Curse you "My Old Kentucky Home".
Not sure but might be only song that makes me cry trying to think of others.

There are no popular songs that make me sad. Since today was Veterans Day, I played No Man's Land and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda (both Eric Bogle songs) for myself. They are sad and talk about the waste of lives in war.

My friends think it is funny since I am not generally an emotional person, but there are a few church hymns that always make me cry - Blest Are They and You Are Mine (both by David Haas) that always make me tear up.

I also love "You Are Mine", but have a really hard time holding it together when they play it at funerals

Bruno Mars “Just The Way You Are” the last time it says “cause when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while”. I don’t know why, it always brings a tear to my eye. That part reminds me of DD15 and I just always want her to know how amazing she is.
“Angel” and “I Will Remember You” by Sarah Mclachlan. They’ve both always made me so emotional. When I saw her live a few years ago I just sobbed.
DD and I love the acapella group Straight No Chaser. She and I go see them every December. At the end of their shows, they turn off their mics and sing “Oh Holy Night” and it just takes my breath away every time. It is just wow.

I agree with everything you wrote lol. They used the Bruno Mars "Just the Way you Are" in my DD's dance recital video when she was about 5, and it still chokes me up in regards to both daughters

I haven't heard Straight No Chaser perform "Oh Holy Night" but that song always gets me. DS plays it on the piano for me sometimes but not nearly enough!

And I know many think Sarah Mclachlan songs are too sappy, but I think she has the voice of an angel!

Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Alone Again (Naturally)"
Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide"
Bruce Springsteen's "Atlantic City"
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's "Teach Your Children"

Last edited:
Anna Begins by Counting Crows.
The Counting Crows tend to write very soulful lyrics. I’ve seen them live numerous times and their lives performances are even better than the studio versions of their songs especially when Adam Duritz gets engrossed in the moment. Many of their songs are powerful, but Anna Begins always gets me.

There’s a song by the Indigo Girls called Ghost that also gets to me.

“And the Mississippi's mighty
But it starts in Minnesota
At a place that you could walk across
With five steps down
And I guess that's how you started
Like a pinprick to my heart
But at this point you rush right through me
And I start to drown”

https://youtu.be.com/jZ3jysAh0QQ

“Concrete Angel” by Martina McBride
“Where Were You (when the world stopped turning)” by Alan Jackson
“Anything Like Me” by Brad Paisley

John Lennon's "(Just Like) Starting Over"

Pretty much every song on John Lennon's "Starting Over," album make me sad. He was cut down right when he was starting over. :sad1:

And David Bowie songs make me sad now. Cancer took him just before he was going to drop another album. He still had new songs in him when he died.

Both gone too soon. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter