• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spin-off Parking fees... switching hotels

If we are going to discuss discrimination at Disney...let's ask why there is an entire resort only for past and present members of the Armed Forces? Are they unfit to socialize with others when outside the parks? Do they audibly slurp their soup when eating? Do they snore so loudly they must be segregated much like the doggies? And what about the canines.........why is Disney discriminating against felines and birds???? And and turtles, bunnies and geckos?

See how easy it is to take thoughts into the bizarre?;)

If we are going to discuss discrimination at Disney...let's ask why there is an entire resort only for past and present members of the Armed Forces? Are they unfit to socialize with others when outside the parks? Do they audibly slurp their soup when eating? Do they snore so loudly they must be segregated much like the doggies? And what about the canines.........why is Disney discriminating against felines and birds???? And and turtles, bunnies and geckos?

I'm not sure which hotel segregates in favor of the armed forces, but I would like to know about that. Claiming discrimination against animals is absurd, they're animals, not people. Lol

Last edited:
I'm not sure which hotel segregates in favor of the armed forces, but I would like to know about that. Claiming discrimination against animals is absurd, they're animals, not people. Lol

They don't segregate or discriminate against members of the armed forces. They have a resort called, Shades of Green, which gives nice pricing for the men & women who have served this country.

FWIW, you can get away with it very easily. I do this every time I go to Disney. This Monday I had an ADR at Beaches and Cream for Noon. We ate then stayed parked there the rest of the day. The guard at the gate at BC didn't ask to see a magic band or ID. Just motioned me thru and said have a great day. I've done it before in prior years multiple times at GF and WL. Maybe they tow people but I've never seen it. Any guards or security normally look like they could care less. They know what's going on but seem very unmotivated to stop it or care.

Yeah it is too bad they can't trust that their guests will read the signs and follow them.:rolleyes:

I don't buy the whole "If they REALLY wanted us to stop they would force us" argument. That is like saying if a teenager sneaks out their window at night the parent really doesn't care because if they did they would put bars on the windows.

But I get it...some people can justify anything.

That is not allowed. Typically you get a 3 hour parking pass. If you leave your car at a resort you are not staying at you risk it being towed.

The rule is you can not do that (Im not even sure that is a real rule, or just a rumor on disboards!! Is it actually stated somewhere before entering the parking lot? on the Disney website? Just curious).

As for the parking pass, I have never ever, in all my years going to Disney, eating 10 - 15 meals at different resorts each trip, received a parking pass. On rare occasion, when I stated to a guard I was there for dining, the guard would ask my name, looked at a clip board, or checked something in a hand held device. 90% of the time I simply stated I had a breakfast/dinner reservation and the gate opened in 2 seconds. Never once did I get a parking pass, or even my MB scanned.

I don't agree with parking at resorts to avoid theme park parking fees, but this is just another reason I think the fact that Disney is charging their resort guests who actually have a right to be there a parking fee absolutely ludicrous. You care enough to monitor and charge those paying big money to stay at your resorts a parking fee, but then leave it a free for all for people not paying to stay there? Disney can't implement this parking fee and at the same time claim to care about their "guests" and at the same time, do nothing to discourage people taking advantage of the system and parking for free as "day guests." Disney won't monitor day guests because they want them to continue to come and spend money in their resorts. They are showing they don't care if their hotel guests will now be charged for this inconvenience, and showing it is in fact a money grab.

The rule is you can not do that (Im not even sure that is a real rule, or just a rumor on disboards!! Is it actually stated somewhere before entering the parking lot? on the Disney website? Just curious).

The resorts that tend to have parking problems have signs posted.

I don't agree with parking at resorts to avoid theme park parking fees, but this is just another reason I think the fact that Disney is charging their resort guests who actually have a right to be there a parking fee absolutely ludicrous. You care enough to monitor and charge those paying big money to stay at your resorts a parking fee, but then leave it a free for all for people not paying to stay there? Disney can't implement this parking fee and at the same time claim to care about their "guests" and at the same time, do nothing to discourage people taking advantage of the system and parking for free as "day guests." Disney won't monitor day guests because they want them to continue to come and spend money in their resorts. They are showing they don't care if their hotel guests will now be charged for this inconvenience, and showing it is in fact a money grab.

Agreed. If they wanted to charge people they should have started with the visitors, not the guests.

They don't segregate or discriminate against members of the armed forces. They have a resort called, Shades of Green, which gives nice pricing for the men & women who have served this country.

I see no problem with that. They serve(d) and deserve that. I'm not sure what NYCCgirl is talking about or why she sees an issue with that. Thanks for letting me know about that Peggy!

While I always appreciated the nice pricing and resort for service members, now that I think about it, why cant they just give the nice pricing at their regular resorts? Why a separate resort?

While I always appreciated the nice pricing and resort for service members, now that I think about it, why cant they just give the nice pricing at their regular resorts? Why a separate resort?

It's owned by the Department of Defense, not Disney. They have Military hotels in a few locations. And unless it's changed, room rates are based on your rank.

We stayed in 2000 while Micky was still in the Marines, his last year. (4 yrs active, 4yrs inactive) Quite the deal.

It's owned by the Department of Defense, not Disney. They have Military hotels in a few locations. And unless it's changed, room rates are based on your rank.

We stayed in 2000 while Micky was still in the Marines, his last year. (4 yrs active, 4yrs inactive) Quite the deal.
Well deserved :) I think its wonderful to have an affordable family friendly vacation destination for military parents to spend quality time with their families.

Im guessing it would be costly to man the gates and collect small amounts of money from the day guests. They have parking validation at the Hawaii resort, which could be implemented at WDW, but for some unknown reason they chose not to do it. This would definitely deter the park goers from parking at a resort just to avoid a parking fee.

Is is very simple to tack on a fee to a resort guest who already has a CC on file at the front desk. They dont need to man the gates or have any back up entering/exiting trying to collect fees at the gate.

From Disney's Aulani...

PARKING
Self parking and valet services are available at Aulani Resort. Below, find details about parking rates and policies:

Parking for Overnight Guests
There's so much to do at and around Aulani Resort that you may not need a car! For overnight Guests who wish to park, self parking is $37* per day, or for the same price, enjoy convenient valet parking service. Rates are subject to change.

Parking for Disney Vacation Club Members
Disney Vacation Club Members staying on a points reservation can enjoy convenient self-parking at no daily charge for up to 2 vehicles.

Parking Validation for Day Guests
The following parking fees apply for day Guests visiting Aulani Resort:
  • Valet parking for day Guests is $37* per day
  • Self-parking for day Guests is $12 per hour—or a maximum of $37* per day

Enjoy complimentary self-parking or valet parking at Aulani Resort for up to 4 hours when you spend $35* or more at the following venues:

To have your parking validated, please bring your parking ticket and purchase receipt to 'AMA'AMA, Makahiki or Laniwai – A Disney Spa.

Manning the gates and collecting a small amount of money from day guests (so their overnight guests can find a parking space and actually get some value out of their parking charge) seems like a no brainer at keeping their resort guests happy. But just as I suspected, it is all a money grab.

Since we've been talking about Shades of Green, it isn't bizarre. The DOD owns it now and they have every right to allow only military families on their property. Your argument is not valid.

Shades of green is a Department of Defense that leases the building and land at a fee. It is not operated by Disney and there are not cast members there. Only DOD employees and contractors. The military has these hotels as a benefit to service members for their military service. It provides R&R following the rigors of military duty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter