Spin-off Parking fees... switching hotels

danielocha30

DIS Veteran
I have a trip planned for next week, room only reservations, I just booked offsite hotel and saved $100 per night and that’s including all fees. Actual hotel is very similar to what I have book with Disney. Parking fee was the last straw even when It wouldn’t affect us on this trip, I put my foot down. Also canceled all resorts dining. With the money saved will be looking for restaurants options outside the bubble.
Who else have or is contemplating to do the same?

We are staying offsite for the first time in June, but it was not because of the parking fee. It is because the resort prices are ridiculous for what you get. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenage boys. They won't share a bed. We have done the air mattress and crammed into a moderate for the last few trips, but that is getting old. We also plan to eat breakfast and some lunches or dinners in the condo, depending on our schedule. We won't make a special trip back just to eat, but we will eat there before we go back to a park instead of eating in the park. We booked a 3-bedroom 2 bath condo at Windsor Hills for 9 nights in June, $950 all in. We can't afford to fly down, and we much prefer to drive anyway.

This is our 11th trip, and until now, I was convinced that I would rather stay home than stay offsite. Now I'm glad we did.

I booked off site for my next trip when I discovered they weren't cleaning the disgustingly dirty floors in the newly renovated Pop Century rooms, that the bus drivers were regularly screaming at people that they weren't going to leave until more people crammed onto an uncomfortably full bus and the WI-FI that I needed to use at the resort (for work) was pretty much nonfunctional and the tech support person I spoke with twice could not have cared one bit about the problem.

Why pay $150 +tax a night for all that at Pop when I can get a 3 room suite (oven-less full kitchen) with no resort or parking fees for $90 +tax a night off site. It's got a nice pool and a free breakfast and a free Beer and Wine Cocktail hour everyday. That's like every 3rd day is free compared to Disney resort rates.

What did I give up? Extra Magic Hours that are disappearing and being replaced with up-charging and a Magic band. Don't make me laugh....

What did I gain? My dignity and a whole bunch of cash, that won't be spent trapped on Disney property paying for $17 crappy happy meal hamburgers.

~NM

These parking fees annoy me, they don't address a problem, day guests eating up space aren't charged. Free parking at the parks is nice, but not when the resorts could end up costing as much or more. The only remaining perk to staying on site is FP+ booking really because EMH is just not really much of a thing for us anymore. My trips for this year are booked already, but on future trips I'm going to probably consider off-site. Frankly, if I could stay off-site and put some of the savings in to boosting my FP+ to 60 days or getting more of them or something, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know some off-site hotels can do that now, but they cost almost as much or more than value resorts on-site, so there's no real incentive there.

Matt

Not us. As some have said in different posts, it is not unexpected. I am still happy and feeling the value.

@Ninja Mom i truly find it sad how incredibly disenchanted and negative you have become. I used to love reading your upscale, witty posts on the YC/ BC THREAD. Now I when I see your posts I expect a negative view. I am sorry that the Disney changes have made you feel this way

Not me. I have stayed off site before, and to me it still doesn't hold a candle to being on site. I like being in the Disney bubble, not having to see the real world for the duration of my vacation. I've only rented a car once in 10 years, so the fee, while I think it is pretty darned awful, won't affect me.

Not us. As some have said in different posts, it is not unexpected. I am still happy and feeling the value.

This is key, I know it wasn't directed at me but I think it's an interesting point for a conversation if I may. I don't inherently dislike price increases (I mean, I don't like them, who does?) when they're associated gains. Value doesn't mean low price, value means I'm getting something that feels worth the cost, however high it may be. Higher ticket prices? New lands in DHS and promised Epcot work. Cool. Paid add-ons like DAH? Club level FP? Nifty. I pay more, I get more. All fine in theory.

Then this. This is nothing more than "our math says we can charge your more, solve no parking problems, and you'll probably just suck it up and pay, we don't care if you whine, as long as most of you pay." This mentality annoys me, it's just blatant, and it bothers me. I tend to be slightly critical of all the people making empty threats to stop coming, because mostly they don't. I try to avoid responding to things with "well, then I'm not paying anymore" because, well, I love WDW and will keep coming. This is the first new charge that has felt so inflammatory for me, it makes me think I might change plans. This year is done, so I'll wait and see and maybe they'll be a good reason to overlook this next year. I'm just angry they dared to add more fees without even the pretense of added value. It's just outright money grabbing.

Matt

Then this. This is nothing more than "our math says we can charge your more, solve no parking problems, and you'll probably just suck it up and pay, we don't care if you whine, as long as most of you pay." This mentality annoys me, it's just blatant, and it bothers me. I tend to be slightly critical of all the people making empty threats to stop coming, because mostly they don't. I try to avoid responding to things with "well, then I'm not paying anymore" because, well, I love WDW and will keep coming. This is the first new charge that has felt so inflammatory for me, it makes me think I might change plans. This year is done, so I'll wait and see and maybe they'll be a good reason to overlook this next year. I'm just angry they dared to add more fees without even the pretense of added value. It's just outright money grabbing.

Matt

How do you know that? How do you know the money is not ear marked for something people would find acceptable?

For an offsite choice I would want-

Good wdw neighbor hotel
As close to the bubble as possible
No resort fees
No parking fee
Free wifi
24 hour front desk
Dog free
Smoke free
Well maintained
Clean & shiny

I don't know where I'd select!

They're usually really good about saying "we added this fee and here's a justification for it, albeit flimsy". In this case it's "we added this fee. other people do it, stop judging us" which is a lot more blatant.

Matt

So you are assuming it is just to line their pockets. Could it be it is also in part to discourage people from parking at resorts for theme park access? To lighten the load on the roads? Make less work for the parking attendants, letting the get away with fewer people? Or maybe to hire more security? Truth is, none us knows. It may very well be to add to their bottom line. And while I hate the new fee, I won't fault them for it.

I have a trip planned for next week, room only reservations, I just booked offsite hotel and saved $100 per night and that’s including all fees. Actual hotel is very similar to what I have book with Disney. Parking fee was the last straw even when It wouldn’t affect us on this trip, I put my foot down. Also canceled all resorts dining. With the money saved will be looking for restaurants options outside the bubble.

Not us. We won't go to Disney if we can't stay on-site. For us the hotels are just as important as the parks. We will just go other places until we can save up enough to stay at Yacht/Beach next time, even if it takes a few years. :)

So you are assuming it is just to line their pockets. Could it be it is also in part to discourage people from parking at resorts for theme park access? To lighten the load on the roads? Make less work for the parking attendants, letting the get away with fewer people? Or maybe to hire more security? Truth is, none us knows. It may very well be to add to their bottom line. And while I hate the new fee, I won't fault them for it.

This new fee doesn't discourage parking at resorts for theme park access. They have a great track record of at least making a token attempt at justifying these things and they did not do so here. All of that you posted would be great fodder for PR, but yet nothing. I don't have any illusions about their operating as a business and maybe it's a bit naive but I liked the thought that they felt I as a customer deserved an explanation, even a thin one. Now I'm apparently not even worth that effort, because they know there is someone waiting behind me should I step aside. That bothers me much more than fees and prices.

Also, I'm not sure why you're singling out my dislike as invalid and yet yours is perfectly fine? Seems a little hypocritical, I'm just as entitled as you or anyone else to not like the treatment, just because my reasons are different from yours doesn't make it any less valid.

Matt

With the money saved will be looking for restaurants options outside the bubble.
I have already been staying offsite because of the amount of money I saved over staying at a non-DVC resort.

Some of my favorite offsite restaurants are:
Miller's Ale House -- specials every day, I especially like Lobster Wednesdays.
Sweet Tomatoes -- huge salad bar with hot sides. Join their club for discounts.
Kobe Japanese Steakhouse -- their late night happy hour is awesome.
Cici's Pizza -- not the best pizza, but super cheap and AYCE. My DD likes it so we go.
Flipper's pizza & Giordano's pizza -- good pizza for take out.
Publix Grocery -- we had some really nice made to order sandwiches there, plus they have nice snacks including healthy ones (and wine ;))

I know exactly how NinjaMom feels. We've done over 25 trips. Stayed at the GF, Poly and YC/BC. Many club level trips.

All the nickel and dimming is finally getting to me. EMH- greatly diminished or an upsell. FP + advantage- now open to Disney Spring resorts also. The fireworks dessert party originally was $30 a person, now $60. Resorts have gotten ridiculously expensive and now the "free" parking is gone.

It just seems like all these things are pushing even die-hard Disney fans away

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't think any of your theories hold water. (1) They are charging overnight guests so that has no impact on people who park at resorts for park access, (2) (3) I do drive and the vast majority of people who drive to the parks stop and pay at the gate. They are not resort guests or AP holders with free parking. The percentage of resort guests on the road and driving to the parks is small compared to the offsite guests. (4) They'll be able to hire a LOT more security guards with that additional $150K+ per day ... a very minimal charge would have covered that.

I think that one of the additional reasons why Disney is charging for parking is the same reason why DME is now free. It's to encourage people to not have a car at WDW to keep people in the Disney bubble and making sure that every dollar spent in Orlando is spent at Disney.

This parking thing is making me wonder tbh. Once Magical Express came into play we stopped renting a car. But then last summer we broke tradition and rented a car and loved it. Now on top of the rental cost I will have to pay to park. My husband in particular is unhappy about that. The ironic thing about this for us is we don't rent a car to go off property. We rent it to dine, drink and shop at other resorts and to go to the waterparks. I'm pretty much gonna chain myself to the Disney complex any way I slice it but now I have to pay to park my car at their resort. We literally spent way more last summer because every day sometimes twice we'd go to another resort to have a drink in their lounge or a meal.

I love Disney. For the past fifteen years my whole timeline of life revolves around our Disney trips. If someone says "2005" in my mind I think back to what resorts we did that year etc. We vacationed there with my parents and my inlaws all of whom are gone now. Those memories are prescious and dear. My kids literally grew up going to Disney.

But so many things have changed. Reduced hours at MK in particular were an absolute bummer for us last summer. Customer service that doesn't feel quite what it used to. So much more expensive for everything. So many upcharges and hard ticket events. We are branching out with our vacation plans and finding that there are so many other places to visit and enjoy!

Bottom line for me is that I can't imagine not going to Disney. We've done roughly fifty trips to Disneyworld/Land in the past fifteen years. And I'm not ready to stop. But I don't see us doing more than one trip every year or two.

So in essence the parking thing is just the latest thing. It won't topple our row of Disney dominoes but something else might. And that makes me sad. But think of the money I'll save!

Last edited:

@Ninja Mom i truly find it sad how incredibly disenchanted and negative you have become. I used to love reading your upscale, witty posts on the YC/ BC THREAD. Now I when I see your posts I expect a negative view. I am sorry that the Disney changes have made you feel this way

With all due respect you and I are of two different mind sets about what is happening with the Disney Experience. In my opinion and experience Disney used to be worth the price that was asked to be paid. I now see and experience a company that is turning away from it's core values and is exclusively focused on making as much money as possible while offering less and less in return.

The only way to change this is to vote with your wallet and communicate why one is disenchanted. You may not like the message, but I'll bet that you can see my point. You don't have to agree with me but I know that when you go you are also experiencing the same problems. You just have a higher tolerance for accepting them. I do not. One opinion about the experience is not more valid or correct that another one. We shall agree to disagree.

~NM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter