SPEND MY MONEY.. If you were me, what would you buy right now?

jessica9785

Earning My Ears
I have $30k and would like to keep my annual dues around $2k. What’s your strategy? Where would YOU buy right now? Combination of resale AND direct? I love hearing what all of you experienced owners would do. TIA

I'd probably low ball all of the active resale listings for VGF right now at a price I felt comfortable with.

They have low dues and you're unlikely to get ROFR'd because VGF is in active sales.

But I also love the Grand Floridian. And I also recently just got under contract using this strategy for a contract I am excited about.

My actual strategy would just be to buy where you want to stay. Or if you don't care where you stay, maybe buy Saratoga Springs on the resale market.

SSR for SAP as the best bang for buck to get the most points.

Otherwise buy the resort you like the most resale.

Unless its BWV or BCV then just put the money in savings and rent when you want to go.

Resale BLT. Keeps your options open to sell if you aren't into DVC anymore. It has room to run when VGF2/Poly2 sell out in a few years. The chart is the cheapest that will ever be on the monorail. Heck, maybe they will add BLT2, which I think would be awesome news. The 1BR product is amazing, with the extra bathroom. There's a reason it's booked and walked. The studio is tight, so if you're all studio, then maybe not for you.

I also think there's an argument for CCV if you are more using it for SAP. The contract is so long, and the chart is better than it should be, because it matched the BR chart. There's a lot of CCV on the market and there are deals to be had.

But I think any of the top value suspects (CCV/Poly/BLT/SSR) are mathematically equivalent if you buy the right, loaded contract. That takes time and patience. That said, it would be very hard for me to buy SSR right now, when BLT is not much more. I would probably swap my SSR for BLT right now, if I didn't have to pay taxes on the gain.

Resale BLT. Keeps your options open to sell if you aren't into DVC anymore. It has room to run when VGF2/Poly2 sell out in a few years. The chart is the cheapest that will ever be on the monorail. Heck, maybe they will add BLT2, which I think would be awesome news. The 1BR product is amazing, with the extra bathroom. There's a reason it's booked and walked. The studio is tight, so if you're all studio, then maybe not for you.

I also think there's an argument for CCV if you are more using it for SAP. The contract is so long, and the chart is better than it should be, because it matched the BR chart. There's a lot of CCV on the market and there are deals to be had.

But I think any of the top value suspects (CCV/Poly/BLT/SSR) are mathematically equivalent if you buy the right, loaded contract. That takes time and patience. That said, it would be very hard for me to buy SSR right now, when BLT is not much more. I would probably swap my SSR for BLT right now, if I didn't have to pay taxes on the gain.
I absolutely agree. If you value being on the Monorail and aren't married to a specific resort (or have aversions to any specific resorts), BLT is a great option. Especially because of the point chart compared to the other monorail resorts.

I absolutely agree. If you value being on the Monorail and aren't married to a specific resort (or have aversions to any specific resorts), BLT is a great option. Especially because of the point chart compared to the other monorail resorts.
Agree as well with BLT plus the dues are third lowest in DVC at $7.08 a point!! Only a subsidized Aulani and Grand Floridian are lower dues.

Grand Floridian all the way. Location Location Location!

If you go resale, you will certainly get a deal, and if you go direct, you will also get a deal. The current pricing will not be around for long. I feel VGF has the most upside potential in the short to near term considering it was selling for $255pp prior to VGF2 going on sale. The most recent sales activity shows the demand is there for it.

Even if you don't love the point chart, it makes a very strong case for SAP at current pricing. Especially with SSR seeing a jump to $200 direct. You have very reasonable dues, points that others want (if you ever need to rent them) and a contract that will be fairly easy to offload once sold out (2 to 3 years from now), and likely at a profit compared to today's pricing.

Good location = check.

Good exit strategy = check

Good MFs = check

Grand Floridian all the way. Location Location Location!

If you go resale, you will certainly get a deal, and if you go direct, you will also get a deal. The current pricing will not be around for long. I feel VGF has the most upside potential in the short to near term considering it was selling for $255pp prior to VGF2 going on sale. The most recent sales activity shows the demand is there for it.

Even if you don't love the point chart, it makes a very strong case for SAP at current pricing. Especially with SSR seeing a jump to $200 direct. You have very reasonable dues, points that others want (if you ever need to rent them) and a contract that will be fairly easy to offload once sold out (2 to 3 years from now), and likely at a profit compared to today's pricing.

Good location = check.

Good exit strategy = check

Good MFs = check
It's important to keep in mind that part of the reason it was going for $255 prior to the new building conversion is because it was such a small resort. Once it's sold out again, the supply side of the supply/demand balance is going to shift significantly. It may still sell for a higher price direct than any other Disney World DVC points direct, but resale may not go as high as it once did compared to other resorts.

Also depends on what you’re looking for. For Epcot entrance BWV is very nice and has a great point chart but it does have the shorter time span. Or you can go the direct route. Just bought Grand Floridian myself which while more expensive and the rooms take far more points, also has a great location and has the longer period to expiration.

We own at BLT. I would buy more BLT. I think it will retain a higher resale value for a longer period of time.

Of course, we already have direct points, so resale would really work for us. That and the fact the direct ownership advantages seem to be dwindling...

How many points do you need? Do you care where you stay? Are you a studio fan or a 1-2 bedroom?
I think more points is better and bought DVC to stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms and i don't care at which resort.

With these as assumptions (which may not be correct):
BLT resale @ $170 pp = 175 points
SSR resale @ 130pp = 230 points
GFV direct @ 207pp = 145 points

I'd buy SSR resale to get the most points for the $30K.

How many points do you need? Do you care where you stay? Are you a studio fan or a 1-2 bedroom?
I think more points is better and bought DVC to stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms and i don't care at which resort.

With these as assumptions (which may not be correct):
BLT resale @ $170 pp = 175 points
SSR resale @ 130pp = 230 points
GFV direct @ 207pp = 145 points

I'd buy SSR resale to get the most points for the $30K.
These are great points. If you are a studio family where you want to stay is very important as these are the first to go. If you are a one bedroom family you can generally get in at any resort as long as you have enough points as these are usually the last to be booked.

Where, when, room type do you want stay.

There is no actual answer to this until you identify that.
I’m more interested in how YOU would spend this money for yourself. If you had this $30k to spend on your first contract(s), how would you choose to and why. I’m learning a lot just reading each potential buyers considerations. I myself am practical and could squeeze my family of 5 into a studio (until my kids physically grow out of that) however I’m not married to a particular resort. We do like taking resort only trips in addition to a trip where we tour parks.

I have $30k and would like to keep my annual dues around $2k. What’s your strategy? Where would YOU buy right now? Combination of resale AND direct? I love hearing what all of you experienced owners would do. TIA
What we did was buy where we wanted to stay, for the amount we could afford. It happened to be Boardwalk, resale, for 150 points. With the “savings” on resale vs direct, we bought nine platinum AP vouchers and just tucked them away for future trips.

Of course I’ve since decided I “need” a blue card so we have bought direct recently at VGF. But I am still extremely happy with my first purchase.

Once you’ve decided to buy DVC, you can’t really go wrong if you just follow your heart (or the wishes of your spouse) and buy where you want to stay!

If I was deciding today, I might buy Beach Club, another 150, resale.

What resort(s) do you like?

I’m more interested in how YOU would spend this money for yourself. If you had this $30k to spend on your first contract(s), how would you choose to and why. I’m learning a lot just reading each potential buyers considerations. I myself am practical and could squeeze my family of 5 into a studio (until my kids physically grow out of that) however I’m not married to a particular resort. We do like taking resort only trips in addition to a trip where we tour parks.

Its of little importance I would say to your actual decision.

I bought BWV resale for my first, second, third contract if thats what you are asking. I bought RIV direct for 300 points for $155/point as well if thats what you are asking. Thing is I bought RIV at a all time low during COVID direct.

Bigger thing with your family is you say you have a family of 5. Is that with or without a significant other in your bed? I would be looking at 1BR that could fit 5 right out of the gate.

This is the issue with just saying "hey you have 30k how would you spend it". Not to offend but I would never consider having more than 2 kids for a variety of reasons. Which is why it comes back to a variety of questions I would have.

I would plan on a resort that can get me a 1BR (at minimum) for the trip length I want in the time I want.

Bigger thing with your family is you say you have a family of 5. Is that with or without a significant other in your bed? I would be looking at 1BR that could fit 5 right out of the gate.
Correct if I'm wrong but this only eliminates Copper Creek assuming your staying on points?

I would plan on a resort that can get me a 1BR (at minimum) for the trip length I want in the time I want.
Well stated.

So many times people just look at the cost of Studios and then get upset when they can not get them or when they outgrow them.

Not to mention not all studios sleep 5. I believe only BCV, BRV, BWV, PVB, RVA and VGF can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter