Speed Queen washer vs whirlpool front loader

maxaroni

DIS Veteran
The 2 lines of washers (& dryers) were recommended by someone in the business. We were told a true workhorse, simple washer that will hold up “forever”, is the Speed Queen. I have read similar on this board.
W were told if wanting a front loader, pretty good machine and not a ton of repairs needed, go with the whirlpool. I thought I always wanted a front loader but have been vacillating and not quite sure.
Yesterday was the day to purchase and we went with the Speed Queen. It will be delivered on Saturday and hope to never see a repairman for my washer again! LOL.

I can’t believe we didn’t go with Speed Queen in the past as we have really been unhappy with Maytag, GE, LG, etc.

I agree...good choice! I have heard SO many folks having 'smell' issues with front loaders due to mildew. I love love my top loading Speed queen. It was recommended by 2 repair folks and we have never had an issue in the 8 or so years we've had it. I hear they are built to last over 20 years. Love this brand, American made, hard working, great warranty.

Love my Speed Queen. It isn’t sexy but they say it will last 25 years! I told the guy I don’t want to set foot in his shop until I’m seventy! So far so good.

I agree...good choice! I have heard SO many folks having 'smell' issues with front loaders due to mildew. I love love my top loading Speed queen. It was recommended by 2 repair folks and we have never had an issue in the 8 or so years we've had it. I hear they are built to last over 20 years. Love this brand, American made, hard working, great warranty.
Modern front loaders have a catch to hold the door open part way to let if dry out to avoid mildew. We've had our LG for 5 years and so far no mildew problems and no repairs, although the warranty has another 5 years on it.
Speed Queen has an amazing rep. But they are hard to find, and about 30% more expensive that other brands. Only 4 dealers listed in my area, and only 1 sells the consumer models. The other 3 only sell the coin op commercial models.

I hated my front loading washing machine so when it died we went on a mission to find the simplest, best washer. After much research by my husband, we went with the Speed Queen. We've had it a little over two years and we love it!

Speed Queen owner here for 5 months. It feels so good to be back to basics.....reliable basics. Very happy with my washer & dryer.

We bought a Whirlpool front-loader washer and the matching dryer about seven years ago at the recommendation of our neighbor. The dryer has been great. The washer, on the other hand, not so much! Despite always leaving the door open when it was not in use, we still had a mildew smell from around the door. I dried the inside of the window with a towel and ran washing machine cleaner through regularly. It still smelled bad. About two months ago, the washer started leaking from underneath. At about the same time, my son slammed the door too hard and broke the latch. The repairman replaced the latch and the seal around the opening to the tub. He said there was a tear in the seal and that's why the washer was leaking. Shortly after that, we started finding small holes in our clothes! We called the repairman back. This issue had nothing to do with his previous repairs. He said the bearing was shot. Apparently this happens much quicker with a front-loader because of how the weight of the drum and the clothes are distributed. When we ran a full load, the washer became unbalanced and some clothes would be sucked in around the seal, causing the holes. He said the cost to replace the bearing would not be worth it, and that we should run half-loads until we could replace the whole machine.

So, we have a new GE top-loader arriving later this week. No more front-loaders for us!

Love our Speed Queen washer and dryer. It was recommended to us by a repairman who had come to our house for either the 4th or 5th time to repair the computer board on our front loader. Have had the SQ set for 4 years with no problems. My Mom had a set of these that lasted over 30 years. Much better things to spend money on than a laundry pair- hello Disney, lol.

We bought an LG front load washer/dryer set from Menards in June 2013 so the set is not yet 5 years old.

Recently the washer wouldn't turn on. DH pulled the washer away from the wall, unplugged it and plugged it back in. It turned on. It would run one load then wouldn't turn on again, we would go downstairs to the basement to flip the circuit to "off" and wait a few seconds then turn it back on again. Then I could run one load. He called Menards to get a repairman recommendation, they said it had to be one that was certified to work on LG appliances so gave us one name. DH called him, told him what the problem was and the guy told him what he thought it probably was. But, said he would have to diagnose it in person and that would be $100, and if it was what he thought it was it would be about $400 to repair it so $500 total. Then when DH said where we lived, he said "oh, I don't come that far south." Really? Okay. Can't force him to come. So DH got on-line and went to the LG website and found a furniture/appliance store nearby that had a repairman so he called them. Was told "we only service what we sell." Okay. Kind of rude we thought. Won't go there when we need furniture/appliances.

So. DH got on-line and printed out step by step how to repair it, ordered the part himself for $136 and fixed the washer himself. Saved us a lot of $$.

Turns out, LG appliances are now made in KOREA. And the washer didn't even last 5 years. If I remember right, our old set (Kenmore) lasted 20 years.

Will never by an LG appliance again. And next time I would want to go back to a top-load, WITH an agitator, like Speed Queen.

We do leave the door open, so we don't ever get a musty smell.

For those who have the Speed Queen after having owned a front loader, how does the water usage compare? I'm contemplating a Speed Queen when I say goodbye to my Whirlpool front loader but want to be very careful about water usage and I'm curious what people have actually experienced.

I have an 11 year old Frigidaire front-load washer/dryer set and I hate them. I haven't been able to justify replacing them yet. The washer seal is gross and I can't ever leave the door closed because of mildew problems. I have to run an empty high-bleach load every 4 or 5 loads to get the smell out (so much for that whole water saving feature). The dryer is OK but when it was about 4 years old I had to have all of the drum bearings replaced -- it was sagging and so things with skinny straps like bras and tank tops were getting caught between the drum and the seal and ripping my clothes apart. Overall I haven't been impressed. The washer broke back in the fall but my DH is handy and repaired it (unfortunately, LOL). I'll be returning to a top loader next time.

Well keep in mind in 2018 by mandate all washers had to comply with new water restrictions. So the 2018 speed queen will be different than prior years. Though I am sure still a good machine. We just bought a new front load washer after just a year of owning one of the new top load machines (not speed queen) .Got rid of it because of lint, hair and soap residue being left on clothes no matter what cycle or how many extra rinses you put them through. You may not have any problems at all though. I googled 2018 speed queen versus 2017 and it shows much the same issues as we were having.

Last edited:
For those who have the Speed Queen after having owned a front loader, how does the water usage compare? I'm contemplating a Speed Queen when I say goodbye to my Whirlpool front loader but want to be very careful about water usage and I'm curious what people have actually experienced.

My Speed Queen does use more water than the front loader we replaced did. But it works so much better that I can live with the change of use of water. Don't know anything about the 2018 SQ models that may conserve more water.

Modern front loaders have a catch to hold the door open part way to let if dry out to avoid mildew. We've had our LG for 5 years and so far no mildew problems and no repairs, although the warranty has another 5 years on it.]

I've noticed that a lot of people who complain about the smell also didn't read the manual and don't do the maintenance. I clean my LG with washer cleaner monthly, leave the door slightly open using the latch, and clean the filter at the bottom of the machine on the suggested timeline, and we've never had any kind of smell. My neighbor was complaining the other day and I asked her if she did the suggested maintenance and she had no idea about it.

Fair warning. Speed Queen changed in 2017 and it not nearly the quality or machine it used to be. It had to do with the old ones not being water energy efficient, but people who have gotten them post 2016 are very disappointed.

I've noticed that a lot of people who complain about the smell also didn't read the manual and don't do the maintenance. I clean my LG with washer cleaner monthly, leave the door slightly open using the latch, and clean the filter at the bottom of the machine on the suggested timeline, and we've never had any kind of smell. My neighbor was complaining the other day and I asked her if she did the suggested maintenance and she had no idea about it.
We do the cleaning too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter