• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest opening flights on May 18th.......................

On the time: I think they're usually out about 7 AM, but as an earlier poster mentioned, you can't count on it. I know when I booked my March flight (maybe November?) that the new times weren't loaded until sometime after 8:00...so be prepared to be flexible.

On the opening day prices: This is a tougher one. Sometimes the best price you will see is right away when booking starts and another poster was correct that there may only be a limited number of seats at that price. If the price looks high, try putting in a lower number of passengers. Sometimes you have to split the itinerary and book some at a lower price and some at a higher. If you do that, you'll also likely have a split itinerary coming back (and there's nothing wrong with doing that). Of course, if you split your passengers for the same flight, you'll have to do multiple checkins.

Also, what occasionally happens is that if there is a competitive carrier on the same route, that carrier may drop its price to match or beat Southwest. Southwest may or may not respond during the day to undercut or equal the competition. I've seen this happen, although rarely, with American on the PHL-MCO route. Of course, if you jump right in and book before the price drops, you can always rebook/modify and take the credit. I guess what I'm saying is that if you book on opening day, it doesn't hurt to check back even later that day to see if there's been a drop.

Agree with the check backs. I priced combos from either Louisville or Cincinnati to Tampa or Orlando yesterday. The preferred flight was nearly $500. Today it's $222 RT. Last year SW added extra non-stops from Louisville over the time frame, hoping to see one of those tomorrow. If not, $222 is about average from SDF.

We also fly out of Buffalo and "opening day" pricing have continued to be the best for us. We are traveling in late August and booked on opening day back in February, and the prices have only risen quite a bit since then. Not sure if it's just Buffalo or if the same is true for other cities, but I've found that if I don't book the minute it opens, the Wanna Get Away fare can jump quite a bit within an hour or two from all the people booking it. In the past, flights opened around 6-6:30am EST but as a PP mentioned, February it was as late as 7:30am ish. Not sure what more recent times have been like.

I'm hoping to purchase Xmas week flights tomorrow out of MKE. Hopefully they are not TOO bad. I'm a little worried. I hate to wait and only seem them climb. I remember one time that they didn't even have Wanna Getaway Fares on opening day around the holidays, but I think it was Thanksgiving.

I've been keeping an eye on the release time for a while now. It's usually around 6:20am eastern time, unless the release is on a Sunday in which case it's often a few hours later than that.

There have been some recent exceptions: two (?) releases ago, the new schedule was out before 6am eastern. Recently there was a release that was delayed a few hours. So that 6:20am isn't set in stone, but it's been pretty consistent for the past several years.

I make sure I'm online, ready to book at 6am eastern time. I keep refreshing until the dates change, usually by 6:20am.

I'll be right there with you (and BTW, my DD is a "close friend" of Lisa Simpson's at universal!). Do you book out of BDL?

Last piece of the vacation puzzle. I will be glad to get this booked.

I'm hoping to purchase Xmas week flights tomorrow out of MKE. Hopefully they are not TOO bad. I'm a little worried. I hate to wait and only seem them climb. I remember one time that they didn't even have Wanna Getaway Fares on opening day around the holidays, but I think it was Thanksgiving.

I hope they have Wanna Getaway Fares from MKE for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping to book Wednesday (or Tuesday if there is an evening flight) to Saturday of Thanksgiving week. I've got 60,000 reward points and I'm hoping that will be enough for 2 round trips!

Ok, shower taken and ready for work. Flights need to be released. I am ready for day.....

Please.

Pretty please...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter