• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting Than You!*6/8* NEW Trip Report Link p154

Well, IT'S TRUE!!! You are! :rotfl2: Max was sick all last night, so I just saw this as I was coming into work. Will be back to read and catch up later, but I had to say that and that I LOVE the TR title! :rotfl:

That was such a fun moment Tina, I still smile every time I think about it! I hope Max is feeling better.

OH MY GOSH, page 4~

Found ya, reading later at basketball practice :)

Here. Great start. I hate having to wait for the bus.

I am excited for GFV but did you see the artist rendition or whatever it is called of the room. YUCK! I will stay there though.

A quick introduction for those that may not know me. I am Cynthia, eandesmom here on the DIS. I’ve been on the DIS since about 2009 and it's been nothing short of wonderful all around. I'm a wife, mother, step mother and full time working gal. My family tolerates my obsession and even feeds into it, most of them drinking about as much of the coolaid as I have. You can read about our current adventures here. I love them, and love our family trips but sometimes you need to get away. Luckily, they tolerate it. For the most part. This would be my 2nd girls trip to WDW but I am lucky enough to usually get at least one girls trip of some kind in a year, often more. While I can't say the younger 2 were thrilled about my going to WDW (again) without them, they were thankfully just coming off of a huge family trip with another large one planned. It eased the pain quite a bit. As did my pre-departure engagement with them (aka bribing). I had them make lists of specific pins they wanted me to try and trade for, as well as t shirt ideas. Both will come into play later in the trip.

The lovely thing about a Tuesday trip is that you have the weekend prior to pack. Not too early and not too late, it is just right. At least in my book. By Monday night I was actually packed, had bribed the kids and was surprisingly on top of things. Packing had been interesting. Mary Ellen and I had decided to attempt making Turtle Krawls and would be bringing all the booze necessary. According to AllEars, which had the recipe that meant 4 different rums. I was flying Alaska, no free bags, so I’d gotten the 375 ml bottles for 2 of the rums. Getting it all to fit and be packed safely to avoid breaking was an interesting challenge given that the bag I was bringing was carry-on sized. We had also decided to bring a few treats for some of the DIS kids that we’d be seeing at our meets and as a result it looked like I would need 2 carryons (I was bringing my laptop so I could work on the plane and not take it as a vacation day...SCORE) plus my purse. A lot of the airlines have gotten pretty tight on this and I've had to jam my purse inside a carry-on more times than I could count. I decided to rethink my packing and instead, buy a laptop sleeve and put all of it in one larger carryon bag and not have to stuff my purse and camera into it.

I bought myself this

400001305058.jpg

Which seemed pretty fitting as I had been to WDW during the 40th, on our Flower and Garden trip and had eyed this very case. At the time I couldn't justify it, I always use a laptop bag, not a sleeve. It is awfully cute and has a reversible pattern. I love it! It also makes me think of the special friends on that trip, one of whom we lost today, far too soon. She's a part of this trip too and I am grateful we had a little more time to make memories and I'm glad to know she is at peace now, probably having a slushie with Walt. I hope that the photopass pics, which arrived there sometime yesterday so were likely not seen, give some joy to her family and especially 2 special people in a lot of those photos. She's asked for no memorial or services and I understand that and will respect that by not going into more detail but I also know I'll always think of her when I see this cover as it reminds me of a very fun time and a lot of chatter about 40th merchandise with all of us on that trip. A toast to you my friend.

Ok. Bags all figured out, items packed, work as caught up as work could be I was good to go and actually had a normal night on Monday without running around finishing stuff up. That never happens!

I had an 8:55 flight, which let me actually say goodbye to the all my boys and make it to the airport with plenty of time. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of this flight, though less so of the direct one later in the day. The big drag heading east is you really do lose the whole day. I'd be departing at 9 am but not landing till close to 5:30 even though it was a direct flight. Ugh. I prefer the red eye, it forces the time change but they've reduced the red eyes to weekends only...and jacked up the price a LOT. This flight had been purchased using miles to but one leg and had gotten a steal on the return flight which made it around $200, light years cheaper than our summer flights had been and I was happy with it. Once I was through security I hit Starbucks for a little in-flight breakfast pastry and picked up a sandwich to eat on the plane.

In no time at all I was on the plane, big bag stowed away, laptop and purse at the ready and enjoying this

IMG_0967.jpg

The MESSIEST muffin ever. I swear, I had crumbs everywhere and some seriously sticky fingers! As we taxied out and took off, my seatmates and I chatted. Both were women headed on solo trips. One to visit family, they’d be visiting the word and another for a conference who would also be doing some play time as well. It has been drizzly as I left and apparently that meant some serious turbulence ahead. I can honestly say this was by far the bumpiest ride I have ever had into MCO. I can’t recall ever having any turbulence before, at all! Neither could the flight attendants who were all commenting on it. It was crazy. Still, no reason not to get some work done so I pulled out the laptop once I had decrumbed myself, and got busy. I had a perfect plan project, editing about 50 photos that would then need to be uploaded to our website. Tedious and boring as all get out but mindless at the same time. Something it was hard to just sit down and knock out at the office. While working, they came by to take food orders. I was too full for my sandwich but a fruit and cheese plate sounded much better and I ordered it, guess I thought I'd eat the sandwich later :confused3.

Apparently it sounded good to everyone, my entire row ordered one! It was pretty funny.

And tasty! Alaska really does a lovely job on their food options these days. Yeah, you have to buy it but at least it's worth it.

IMG_0968.jpg

Prior to the trip I'd had the office order me an extra battery for the laptop. When the first one died, after I switched out, I decided I could take a break and hop online. Some of you may have seen me post on FB from 30,000 feet. I do love the in flight wifi (and the ability to expense it lol) I also got some work email done as well. Other than the turbulence which continued off and on most of the flight it was a painless, productive and pleasant 5 hours that resulted in an early arrival, around 4:48. We'd been scheduled to land at 5:25 so I was pretty thrilled about the early arrival. I'd checked my bag through to the resort so headed straight to the bus. I really wanted a water but the line at Starbucks was ugly and I just wanted to get to the resort at that point.

Bypassing the water I did make one stop. It was FAR too nice out to keep the boots I’d flown in on and I had kept a pair of sandals in my carryon for this very reason. SO much better!

IMG_0970.jpg

As I made it to the mini monorail, it was loading. I got on. Barely. This is how full it was

IMG_0971.jpg

I have never seen it that crowded before, I couldn't move!

Walking to DME I noticed a HUGE line at the counters but went to the left as I had my vouchers at the ready and was immediately taken to my bus. A REAL bus. With the cutest driver ever, he asked where I was going and responded with "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!" His name was Geoff, from South Africa and his lovely accent just made me smile. There were only a few other folks on the bus so of course, I grabbed a front row seat!

And sat.

And sat.

And sat............................

While we waited for it to fill up. Which it did. Eventually. I was really wishing I'd have waited in line and gotten that water. Eventually someone joined me in my rock star spot. I was now seated next to yet another single female traveler, this one headed to a convention at the Contemporary. She also had some plans with girlfriends to hit food and wine and we had a nice chat. Just as Geoff was getting ready to close the doors a last rider came on and he asked where they were staying. "Poly". Whoa, wait a minute. Geoff didn't have Poly on his list, just GF, Contemporary and WL. Doors opened, conferring occurred and instead of the 2nd stop, we'd now be the 3rd. RATS. As the doors closed Geoff pointed out the fact that we were on a nice NEW bus....which meant it came with seatbelts and to please put them on. That was a first.

I happily sat back and enjoyed the movie. Between texting back and forth with Mary Ellen that I was finally on my way and my husband to let him know I'd arrived and a facebook update it didn’t seem too long before I spotted this and took a few phone pictures, not caring what my seat mate thought.

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

And then these, which according to Geoff, hadn't been there yesterday, this was his first run of the day.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

First stop Poly. No pictures, sorry Poly people. Next stop, GF. I tried to get some construction pics but they aren’t all that interesting

IMG_0977.jpg

You could see the new Mad Hatter splash zone and it was adorable!

Finally….Wilderness Lodge!

My key was waiting for me at the desk and without further ado I took off (like a bat out of you know what!) arriving at my door at……6:38. Yeah, almost two hours to the nose despite not having any bags to pick up. Ouch. I honestly think that is the longest it has ever taken me to get to my room/resort using DME.

What now?

Great update, Cynthia! I'm sorry it takes so long to get to Disney from the west coast. If I can't live in Florida, at least my flight's under three hours.

I also think I have the same work computer as you...is that a lenovo?

Nice laptop sleeve! I really liked all the 40th merch they had and it was funny because it was also my husband's birthday.

Glad you've finally arrived safely!

Dear Friends.

Today one of my dear DIS buddies passed away after a fight with cancer. Manntra (Tracy) was one of my first real virtual friends here on the boards and I was fortunate enough to meet her on three different occasions at Disney. The last was only two months ago. I feared that would be the last time I saw her, but I hoped and prayed otherwise.

Everyone who ever had the occasion to meet Tracy instantly liked her. She was calm, level-headed, adventurous, funny, and there was an instant warmth to her.

I am so very grateful that our paths crossed and so very sad that she is no longer walking this earth with us.

Here's Tracy when we first met in May 2010

Image0122.jpg

And here are some wonderful flashbacks from our East Meets West trip in May 2011. (Tracy is in the middle -for those of you that don't know her)

Photo0169FourBySix.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

IMG_2976.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_3080.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

When I found this last picture I cried. Because this is how I always want to remember Tracy. She was pretty darn fearless.

IMG_3043.jpg

RIP Tracy! You are sadly missed now and always!

OMG Mary Ellen. My heart just literally dropped into my stomach reading this update. :( I am SO sorry for the loss of your friend. I didn't know Tracy, but I do remember seeing her comment on people's TR's, and I knew you met her on a few trips. How awful. I had no idea she was even sick. I mean, I don't know how I would have, but still, it's such a shock.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. My heart is already broken for those poor families in Newtown, and now for this. :goodvibes :hug:

So sorry to hear this news. I didn't know her personally, but I do remember her postings. She had a sassy way about her which made her posts enjoyable. Such a shame when someone passes away so young.:sad1:

Jiminy Crickets ladies...I'm not on the DISboards for a day and a half and you start another TR and I'm relegated to page 4?!?! You ladies are POP-U-LAR!! :thumbsup2 On my TRs it would take me posting 3 1/2 pages of pics and commentary to get to page 4! :sad2:

I'm so looking forward to this TR as DW and I plan for our F&W trip next October. Well....I do all the planning....DW's involvement is a)tell me when we're leaving, b) how long are we staying and c) what will the weather be like?!

Great start. I'm subscribed for the ride!!!

I am glad you posted these. I struggled with this today. I spent a chunk of time last week, once we learned she had started Hospice, to get her photopass out as quickly as possible. I doubt she had a chance to see it, it arrived on Friday which made me so upset. I'd sent hers express, everyone elses priority and I swear the priority ones got to people faster. Anyway, it's not about me. I just couldn't bear pulling up pictures after going through those last week. I will probably post a few of my favorites on my TR at some point but I'm not there yet.

Is it wrong that all I want to do right now is have a margarita and toast to her? That was my first meeting with Tracy, at the Ditch.

I am so, so sorry to hear about Tracy's passing. I didn't know her, but from the way you described her, it sounds like she was a wonderful person and friend. I'm so glad you were able to make some wonderful memories with her. I am sorry her family and friends had to lose her right before Christmas. I hope she's loving her new home. :littleangel:

Sigh. Page two...
That's what I get for taking the night off the computer and going to bed early!

:welcome: Sheree! Shame on you for going to bed early. :rotfl2:

Oh well - I'm really excited for this TR - since I was there too! :thumbsup2
Hi Pat and Cynthia!!

As you should be! You definitely have a co-starring role in this TR, especially since we kept running into you, even when we didn't know it. :rotfl:

Wonder if that woman in the ME line made it into her big conference? What kind of conference doesn't let you in if you're a little late? Now I'm curious and we'll probably never know the answer.:confused3

No, she didn't. She was near the front of the ME bus when I got off. I said "I guess you missed your session" and she said Yes, so she was on her way to the Contemporary to check in.

:wave2: I'm here and ready for some WL spectacular-rama!

:welcome: Mark. Is spectacular-rams a real world? :confused3 Just
checking. :rotfl: So glad you are along for the ride. Maybe it was help you pass the time until you leave for Hawaii.

Hello girls, I'm in!:cool1:

:welcome: burly! Thanks for joining in! I hope you enjoy!

Yay!!! Thanks for the heads up, I am here and ready for the whole story!

:welcome: Wendy! Glad you made it and the story is quite an interesting and fun one! Stay tuned. :cool1:

October 16 is a great day, also my anniversary ;)

Really? That's cool! Happy Belated Anniversary!

I'm here and looking forward to all the fun!

:welcome: Mom to PrincePhillip. So glad to have you on board for our TR!!!!! I definitely promise fun!

Oh, I am so in here!

:welcome: Karin! Thanks so much for joining in. So happy to have you here!

Sorry I am late joining, we spent the afternoon shopping in Germany (the real one :rotfl2:) and got back later than expected. :goodvibes

The real Germany as opposed to the one in the World Showcase? :rotfl: Lucky girl, you!

I'm in! I have the same shirt that Pat is wearing!! LOVE that shirt!

Jill in CO

:welcome: Jill. Thanks so much for joining in. Really excited to have you following along.

I'm here! Great start! I love Food and Wine trips, I'm trying to plot a quick Thursday-Sunday trip this October, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out or not, we'll see! :rotfl:

:welcome: Jen! So glad you are here.

Already planning your F&W trip, are you? :cool1: Yeah. Well, let me put a little whisper in your ear :listen:(pick October 24th or October 31st....we will be there).

I love your Disney bag, and yay for Wilderness Lodge! :dance3:

Thanks. And the Wilderness Lodge was a really great choice for this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter