Sorry Disney, I Can't Eat On-site

Well, I still can't get myself to pull the trigger on reservations. I'd love to eat at Boma again because it's out favorite buffet, but even with my TIW card it's still expensive. If we sneak out the backside of AKL we can be on Irlo Bronson very quick.

lugnut, here's an idea. DVC members can get the dining plan for only one night of their stay. Get the regular one. Get it for one night, go to Boma, and you'll get a snack and counter service too, for under $40 a night per adult. You could go to Boma one night and use the table service the next day.

I like the idea if you can get the dining plan for less than one night.

We (my dd14 and I, who are not going back for a while, but went last August with a friend of hers) budget for the dining plan. My dd, at 5'8" and barely 100 pounds, can pack the food in. (In fact, I started buying the adult dining plan when she was 9 (8?).) Plus, she's not really into eating 'out' at home, but loves carryout, so vacation is my treat to go out to eat every night! We usually went in August, and enjoyed sitting down to a dinner in the evening to cool off before the evening. That said, we rarely go back to the room except when we're done for the day. (Or if we need to re-group before going somewhere at night.)

We recently went to Kings Dominion for a day. There were 5 of us for lunch. 5 sandwichs/salads, 5 drinks, and some fries to share (and a cookie!) cost $75!!!! After all my years of using DDP, it just seemed to expensive....

And, I am here on this forum telling the nice people here on the DIS my experience at "Ohana". You can't refute that, sorry.

Brunette

You just refuted the other poster's experience, though. Maybe *you* have been rushed at Ohana, but the PP doesn't seem to have been rushed.

I like the idea if you can get the dining plan for less than one night.

DVC members staying on points can do this now.

Nobody can get a dining plan for less than one night, not even DVC members. One night is the minimum. I think I would probably be the last person to recommend the dining plan to Lugnut, but then I no longer do the dining plan because I don't like it. Paying $46 for one night of the plan (that is the current cost, it is not under $40 a night anymore) might get him to come out ahead at Boma, but maybe not, and maybe not that much ahead - totally depends on what he and his party choose as their CS meal and snack. I wouldn't want to be trying to decide where to eat based on what would be the best dining plan value. Some people enjoy that though.

The problem with segmenting DVC reservations for dining plan purposes is that you have to do it when you book. If you've already booked, it appears to be a pain to change - because you have to rebook in segments and there has to be availability. Unless they've worked out a way to carve an existing reservation into segments.

Sometimes people are rushed at 'Ohana and sometimes they're not. Maybe it depends on when you go. Went at 9:30 once, no rushing.

We just came back from four nights at the World and had only three meals with Disney. We had groceries delivered by Wegoshop and dined in most of the time. In my book, it's easier to book a villa with a kitchen and have a relaxing breakfast at home than to have to get dressed and go out for a breakfast.

In my book, it's easier to book a villa with a kitchen and have a relaxing breakfast at home than to have to get dressed and go out for a breakfast.

I agree! I've stayed in hotel rooms with no cooking facilities and condos/villas with kitchens and love having a kitchen. I'm not a "oh, I'll just have a muffin for breakfast" kind of guy. I like my ham, egg & cheese sandwich! I can easily whip one up while others are getting ready.

My observations over my last few trips are: (1) the cost of the food is higher than what I can get off-property, (2) the portions are on the small side, and (3) the quality isn't where it "should be"

Now there are naturally exceptions, but that's been my general feel.

So, we plan accordingly. We have a tendency to eat a bigger breakfast off-property, then take in a sandwich or muffins for a snack/light lunch, and then plan dinner around park closing. If its an early park close, we'll go off-property for dinner. If not, we'll pick a counter service place that we think is okay, and eat there.

On a multi-day trip, it usually means we'll eat dinner a couple of times off-property and a couple in Disney restaurant.s

Now the themeing in the sit-down restaurants is usually pretty clever, and we do miss out on that.

to the OP:

definitely try to go offsite and see how you like it....and let us know how it works out. i, personally, would love to hear your experience.

we used to say that we go to disney for the food - and i love eating on-site - especially at the sit downs and some of the resorts! but i have to agree with you - the last couple of times some places seemed to have gone down a little.

i too think it has to do with the free dining, but it could just be that we are all older, the restaurant had an off day - or maybe we just have nicer dining experiences to compare them to now. who knows!

either way - it never hurts to try something different and see how it works out.

happy disneying!

I want to thank you all for posting on this thread. It has really opened my eyes to other options.

My plan was to bring some snack/breakfast items for the room but then eat onsite for all meals. Still tossing around meal plan options but never really considered eating off site. Now at least I will have the option there.

Although when I was pricing out a week (I think I was looking at sept) the room discount had us at 699 for the week and if we did free dining at rack rate it was 899 so only a difference of $200 and this was for QS dining. Dont really think I could get 28 QS adult meals and 14QS kids meals for $200 off site including 42 snacks and the refillable mug. Seems like a decent deal to me.

However when I do book (thinking about Jan 2012) if free dining isnt offered we might not add it.

Oh and with the QS meal plan we were planning on doing 4TS meals but might cut that back to 1 or 2 now that my eyes have been opened.

So thank you all.

Caren, you like to cook. I don't really cook. I especially don't like to clean up. With no car, that means finding onsite eats.

I want to thank you all for posting on this thread. It has really opened my eyes to other options.

My plan was to bring some snack/breakfast items for the room but then eat onsite for all meals. Still tossing around meal plan options but never really considered eating off site. Now at least I will have the option there.

Although when I was pricing out a week (I think I was looking at sept) the room discount had us at 699 for the week and if we did free dining at rack rate it was 899 so only a difference of $200 and this was for QS dining. Dont really think I could get 28 QS adult meals and 14QS kids meals for $200 off site including 42 snacks and the refillable mug. Seems like a decent deal to me.

However when I do book (thinking about Jan 2012) if free dining isnt offered we might not add it.

Oh and with the QS meal plan we were planning on doing 4TS meals but might cut that back to 1 or 2 now that my eyes have been opened.

So thank you all.

Totally agree that if you can get all those meals for $200 that is a good deal. I would tend to eat more on-site if the prices were lower or quality was higher. However, I totally understand why Disney is raising prices since the restaurants are full. I'd be interested to see how full the restaurants are during a slow time of the year without free dining.

One other thing I thought about. Since Disney is able to give you all those meals for $200, just imagine what their profit must be in the food serivce area because those meals really aren't "free" and they are not going ot give them away at a loss.

lugnut, here's an idea. DVC members can get the dining plan for only one night of their stay. Get the regular one. Get it for one night, go to Boma, and you'll get a snack and counter service too, for under $40 a night per adult. You could go to Boma one night and use the table service the next day.

OK, let's do a little math. We are 4 adults (well two kids ages 14 & 11, so they are considered adults).

DDP costs $46 per person, which would be $184 for one night of the plan.

If we ate at Boma with our Tables In Wonderland card:
$40x4= $160 (non specialty drinks are incl. in price)
$160x18% gratuity= $189
$189 less 20% TIW discount = $151.00 total

So, essentially then you are paying $33 for the snacks and counter service meals. I agree that you do save some money, probably somewhere in the $20 range.

Of course I can buzz off-site and save somewhere in the $80 range and since we are there 10 nights that would be around $800. That's a pretty healthy chunk of change.

OK, let's do a little math. We are 4 adults (well two kids ages 14 & 11, so they are considered adults).

$160x18% gratuity= $189

So, essentially then you are paying $33 for the snacks and counter service meals. I agree that you do save some money, probably somewhere in the $20 range.

Of course I can buzz off-site and save somewhere in the $80 range and since we are there 10 nights that would be around $800. That's a pretty healthy chunk of change.

You don't have to get the plan for all 10 nights though - with DVC you can now get it for just the nights you want it. So if there was a meal that you like in particular, pair it with a more expensive CS to maximize the credit value and you do save some money over paying OOP.

I didn't realize that TIW took a discount off of your tip though? That is about another $7 cash. Tip is on full cost, discount comes off the full cost - not full cost plus tip - at least I thought??? DDP also covers tax - which I'm not sure you accounted for paying cash.

At any rate - I'm not a fan of DDP at all, but I do believe that in some cases for certain meals and times of year that you can come out ahead - IF you do it through DVC and pick what days you want it.

$160x18% gratuity= $189

I understand. I think you should go over to miller's ale house, etc. Makes sense to me. It is a short drive.

What I was talking about was your wanting to go to Boma but not wanting to pay what they are asking.

You can save a buck or two*if you want to go to Boma*.

Book the regular dining plan that one night.

The gratuity washes out. You pay a tip either way. So you'd get the dining plan for basically the price of the buffet. Then the next day you'd basically have a free counter service meal and a snack.

I'm not saying buy the dining plan for the whole trip, just that one night.

You could still beat that by going off property of course. There's a golden corral on 192 not far away that would be a lot less. I'm just saying that if you want to go to Boma and want an excuse to "pull the trigger" and make a reservation you can save a buck or two.

Disney meals are SO EXPENSIVE! My fiancée and I decided to splurge at a sit-down restaurant on one day at the park...the bill came to over $70 for the two of us!! Ridiculous. I will say our strategy was to eat a breakfast before we went, grab a small snack like a popcorn and share mid morning, eat a late lunch, and another snack item around dinner.

Well, we have been here for 4 days @ BCV's one bedroom and have only eaten out once, today at Flame tree Barbeque. I cancelled 3 meals I had ADR's for, as I could not justify the price, even with my TIW card. For just one of those meals, I paid for my gasoline to get here(1250 plus miles). The DDP doesn't work for us either, as for the 4 of us, all adults, I can buy a lot of groceries to last me most of the week for just one day of the DDP. Bought the Sunday Orlando newspaper and it had Steak'n Shake coupns in it, so we will et there once or twice for another treat. Disney meals are just too expensive for us. We have a fixed income, so in order to afford WDW, we really have to budget.

you guys are making me sad I have been to WDW 4 times (last time 2003) and WDL 4 times (in the 90s) and I am about to take my twin Daughters for the 1st time. It sounds like Disney has gone downhill and is not the special place I remember it to be. It sounds like any other amusement park (we live near a six flags). When we went in 2003 it was wonderful and we still talk about our meal at Le Cellier.

It doesn't sound like you guys enjoy being there. I can see both side of the arguement. I will say we go to Chilis and a normal burger costs about $9 and it sound like Disney is near that cost and normally I would say I would rather be a Disney for that price but now???

It really is a choice but we would feel like we were missing part of the magic if we left the park for meals. Like anything else you can shop around with the food and find what works for your family.

you guys are making me sad I have been to WDW 4 times (last time 2003) and WDL 4 times (in the 90s) and I am about to take my twin Daughters for the 1st time. It sounds like Disney has gone downhill and is not the special place I remember it to be. It sounds like any other amusement park (we live near a six flags). When we went in 2003 it was wonderful and we still talk about our meal at Le Cellier.

It doesn't sound like you guys enjoy being there. I can see both side of the arguement. I will say we go to Chilis and a normal burger costs about $9 and it sound like Disney is near that cost and normally I would say I would rather be a Disney for that price but now???

Please dont be sad, it really is still a special place. You are making great memories for your daughters. My girls are in there 20's and still refer to disney as their happy place. Like anything in life there is good and bad, just look for the good and you will find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter