Sorry Disney, I Can't Eat On-site

lugnut33

DIS Veteran
Just planning our itineraries for a 10 night trip at the end of August and I am having trouble pulling the trigger on any meals inside WDW due to the cost of said meal. We will have a car and a kitchen in our DVC and that is another reason why I can't see us eating meals on-site.

Heck, me and my 13 year old were looking at making a reservation and even she decided it is too expensive to eat at the parks. When we looked eating at the Sci-fi, even with out Tables In Wonderland card, we just couldn't justify the price considering we can buzz off property (while heading back to the room for our afternoon break) and grab some Chick-fil-a or something like that. It's not like the food is that good at the Sci-fi. Other than Boma, I've been disappointed in our buffet meals lately

Anyways, I'm not sure we'll eat more than one meal on-site the whole time we are there.

We ate off-site a lot on our last trip using restaurant.com certificates. We saved some money, but it really did seem to take a big chunk of time and it also took us out of the "Disney Magic" so our family felt less motivation to return to the parks at night. It seemed that once we were away, it was harder to go back to the parks. It was much different than the previous trip where we had the free DDP for part of it.

Maybe Disney is smarter than we give them credit for :rotfl:.

I know everyone's budget is diffferent. Me personally, I budget the dinning plan as apart of our trip. To take time out of our day, travel back to the DVC and then make something to eat to turn around and head back out is just too much wasted time for us. Are you in a studio? They only have a small fridge, no stove, just a microwave. If you leave property to go eat out in town, I bet you'd spend the same amount as a CS in the parks.I'd really think about it, even the cheapest DDP is just $20 a day, and you'll get 2 CS's WELL worth the money. Just a thought;)

I know everyone's budget is diffferent. Me personally, I budget the dinning plan as apart of our trip. To take time out of our day, travel back to the DVC and then make something to eat to turn around and head back out is just too much wasted time for us. Are you in a studio? They only have a small frige, no stove, must microwave. I can't imagine eating microwaved food for 10 days. I'd really think about it, even the cheapest DDP is just $20 a day, and you'll get 2 CS's WELL worth the money. Just a thought;)
I see there are just two of you. If we were still just a couple, I would agree about paying for the DDP. I think it's a lot different when you are paying "adult" prices for kids. There is NO WAY my 11-year old DD would eat enough to make it worth while. Also, the QSDP is $35 per adult, not $20. And, IMO, $35 is barely "break even" for 2 CS meals and 2 snacks and a mug.

I see there are just two of you. If we were still just a couple, I would agree about paying for the DDP. I think it's a lot different when you are paying "adult" prices for kids. There is NO WAY my 11-year old DD would eat enough to make it worth while. Also, the QSDP is $35 per adult, not $20. And, IMO, $35 is barely "break even" for 2 CS meals and 2 snacks and a mug.

We are just the two of us. And yes, I was wrong on the price too. We took our 2 daughters 15 & 21 last Oct and paid for the 4 of us on the deluxe, which was just 1 CS, 1TS and 2snacks. For us, it was a good fit. I budget the DDP in, because I view vacations as a NO work week for us ;) but I DO get where your coming from. In the end, you'll be in DW and that IS the best part!!:banana:

Yes, dining onsite is getting pricey. It always has been, but at least the food was worth a few extra bucks. Now, it's really pricey and the food is not worth what it used to be. Sci-Fi is probably one of the worst right now.

Having facilities in your room is good for breakfast and maybe even dinner. I'm not sure it's worth leaving a park to drive off-site for lunch, though. I think I would opt for more of a snack in the parks during the day. The CS restaurants are a good option, especially if you pay attention to what you're getting. I would avoid the hot dogs until they get back to the 100% beef. The chicken mix they use now is pretty low in the ratings. Still, there are some decent options that shouldn't break the bank.

There are 4 (daughters are 14&11) of us and we are staying in a 1 bedroom at Kidani, so we will have a a full kitchen. And honestly, we always leave the parks at around 1pm, so it's not that big of a deal to hit up a lunch on the way back to the room. While yes, I'd like to be able to eat in the parks (or on-site) because I love the theming and its convenience, but the price is just a killer.

Like I indicated before if we ate at Sci-fi our bill would probably shake out around $75. If we swing by Chick-fil-a it'll cost us around $25. That's a $50 savings. Then, if we eat in our room later that's an even bigger savings. It's not that I'm cheap, it's just I feel bad paying those inflated prices.

Have you thought about slitting meals? It's just DH and I, so our food costs are no where near where yours would be, but the two of us will often split an entree somewhere to save money. Also, the portions can be so big that it's almost silly not to.

Maybe you could bring along muffins and fruit for breakfast in your room before heading out for the day, eat in the parks for lunch (splitting meals) and then head back to the resort for dinner. That way, you're not losing time during the day going back to the resort for lunch. You're just eating on property for one meal, and you can bring along your own snacks to stretch your day out a bit and push dinner back to a later time. Just a thought, but I totally hear where you are coming from - the food on property is ridiculously expensive!

Another thought - you could pack your own lunches in a small cooler and bring them with you and store them in a locker in the park until lunch time. This way, you are still not losing transit time during the day for lunch. You might have to bring a large cooler or extra small fridge (if you have one of your own) to keep your food cool during the week, but it could be worth it over paying the high on property food costs.

Good luck to you!

Disney counter services are not really much more expensive than a value meal at a fast food place, and the annoyance of keep leaving to go to I drive or 192 is not worth it for us if we are staying on Disney. When we stay off site yes we do like CiCI or Golden Corral for lunch or dinner when we are back at the resort offsite because it is right there but going out of my way for chain food I have never done. Everyone is different.

we have gone all out on the dining plan as well as done last min disney on a dime

we ate in Jan for less than 150 for the week and that included a splurge to Ohana for one child and one adult

We are not huge eaters and we have ordered kids meals A LOT they are under 5.00 and for us filling enough

we usually eat one good meal a day

You can save by eat breakfast at the vacation club or going to grocery for quick grab items and snacks. We bring a water bottle and the drink packets to save on buying drinks. you can always ask for water at Disney its free and when you add a packet it makes a cool drink

They have healthy food items if you know where to go and the food court always had some homestyle options

Yes, dining onsite is getting pricey. It always has been, but at least the food was worth a few extra bucks. Now, it's really pricey and the food is not worth what it used to be. Sci-Fi is probably one of the worst right now.

Having facilities in your room is good for breakfast and maybe even dinner. I'm not sure it's worth leaving a park to drive off-site for lunch, though. I think I would opt for more of a snack in the parks during the day. The CS restaurants are a good option, especially if you pay attention to what you're getting. I would avoid the hot dogs until they get back to the 100% beef. The chicken mix they use now is pretty low in the ratings. Still, there are some decent options that shouldn't break the bank.

Yeah, I like Pecos Bill (or whatever it's called now), Sunshine Seasons and Flame Tree. Those are two places where I'll stay in the park to eat at. What's awesome about Flame Tree is it's on the Tables In Wonderland discount rotation.

This is OT, but Raysmom your DD is adorable in her matching Minnie Mouse dress :love:.

I think it all depends on what you are used to and how you eat outside of WDW. I don't find the prices bad but then I go out of my way to avoid eating at places like Golden Corral, Cici's etc so I am already used to paying higher prices when we dine out. I also wouldn't be able to stomach fast food everyday and leaving the magic. If I couldn't afford the cost of dining at WDW in my budget then the trip would just have to wait until I could.

Everyone just has to do what works for them.

the cost of a meal at WDW is not commensurate with the real world prices. I know that, and I still eat on-site. I want to eat there not because the food is so much better , I eat there because it is the ambiance. I am finally at DisneyWorld. Besides, if you pick the right restaurant, your meal could be better than elsewhere.

I think it all depends on what you are used to and how you eat outside of WDW. I don't find the prices bad but then I go out of my way to avoid eating at places like Golden Corral, Cici's etc so I am already used to paying higher prices when we dine out. I also wouldn't be able to stomach fast food everyday and leaving the magic. If I couldn't afford the cost of dining at WDW in my budget then the trip would just have to wait until I could.

Everyone just has to do what works for them.

I agree with this poster. When we (a family of five) go out to eat we are already expecting to pay a good amount of money. WDW isn't really that much more than what we already pay. And in general we tend to pay for the dining plan when we make our reservations so that everything is taken care of ahead of time. Then we have no need to worry about our meals other than tips. And honestly if the money was really an issue we'd put off a trip for that year and try to make the next trip even more magical. But that's just us.

Have you thought about the dining plan? I could not imagine going to WDW and not eating there...that is part of the overall experience

my kids like to stay and eat onsite for the fun ..food and atmosphere... plus taking time into consideration .. mostly we have no car... its what works best for us.. and yes.. we are paying for this convenience.

We always get the Dinning Plan and love it . Disney is about the food & the fun experiences to. For us we would never leave property to go off site. For me when I'm in Disney I hate to waste any time by leaving. But hey that's us. You got to do what works for you.

We too like to eat on site. It is a big part of our vacation. I know it is expensive, but we budger for it all year. I know it is not "gourmet food" but our expectations are in line with what we receive and we are happy.
We are also DVC. We order groceries and always have breakfast in our villa, as well as afternoon/evening snacks and beverages. But we eat lunch and dinner out.
This works for us!!!!

OP, You are comparing Sci Fi - a Table Service restaurant to Chick fil A, a fast food chain. That is an apples to oranges comparison.
Everyone is different Just do what is best for your family and have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter