Something Old, Something New, Nothing Borrowed, Something Blue

Talk about starting the vacation off with a bang, wow! I was just soaking up all those photos. Very very cool. How long was the tour?

Sounds like you avoided some serious rain. Nice for Graham to be treated to a free Starbucks. That person must have been really rushed to leave their tasty drink behind.

Wow! Those sets look awesome. I hope we get to see them someday. I'm not sure we will make it that fat before they take them down.

It cracks me up how you two eat Chinese and Mexican food on your trips. But I guess if you don't like French food in France and you live in England, you have English food more than you like. To me European travel seems so exciting and exotic, I would immerse myself in the flavors as well as the sights, but I forget you live there so it's not as "romantic".

Fantastic photos

Thanks. Photos are not the easiest proposition there as the lighting is quite challenging.

we went to HP for my birthday last year but I'd love to go again in the winter to see the castle covered in snow.

That sounds really neat.

Talk about starting the vacation off with a bang, wow!

It was great that this fell into place.

How long was the tour?

I think all in all, we spent just over 3 hours there.

Nice for Graham to be treated to a free Starbucks. That person must have been really rushed to leave their tasty drink behind.

It was nice and I could not understand why somebody was in such a rush either.

Wow! Those sets look awesome.

They really were amazing.

I'm not sure we will make it that fat before they take them down.

I cannot imagine them going anytime soon. The tour is really popular and usually sold out a couple of weeks in advance. As long as they continue to make money, I think they will keep going. Although there is a Harry Potter play opening in London soon and I am sure many people will combine both meaning even more business for them.

ut I guess if you don't like French food in France

Actually, I did find some French food I really liked, but that is still about 3 weeks away in terms of updates.

To me European travel seems so exciting and exotic, I would immerse myself in the flavors as well as the sights, but I forget you live there so it's not as "romantic".

We sampled plenty of local food later in the trip.

Corinna

I'm in. Harry Potter studios great isn't it. Disabled people get a carer in for free! Love the photos. Butterbeer mmmm....

Corinna,
I am coming out of lurkdom to join you on this cruise. I have read each of your trip reports and thoroughly love them. I am friends of PIO and Alison, and they can vouch for me that I am ok. HA!!

I have taken this cruise - almost the same - so I am so excited to read about your view.
ARe you sure you are "OK"?

Love love the photos and how exciting to go on the tour. Sorry you did not get your book, I hate to carry things too. And I hate it you did not get something for your necklace.

But it did look amazing and fun.

I am here, thanks for the bat signal!!

I loved to see your pictures of the HP tour. This is something that is definitely on the schedule for my next visit to London! Whenever that will be, it has been far too long since I was in the UK!

I thought it was interesting how similar certain parts are to what you can find at Universal in Orlando. Especially Diagon Alley appears to be exactly the same. I guess that shows how intricate the set designs were, but also how true to the film the theme park is.

Did they have frozen butter beer there as well or just the regular one? I much preferred the frozen one, but I have heard that in the winter they also have a warm butter bear at Universal and since that is the version they have in the books, I would love to try the warm butter beer!

What a cool tour! It's fun to learn all the behind-the-scenes details.

Here! Great start!

Welcome. Good to see you.

Welcome.

Harry Potter studios great isn't it.

I absolutely loved it.

Disabled people get a carer in for free!

I saw that. I think most of it is pretty accessible, too. I think the only areas that are not are the green screen area, the Hogwarts express and the covered bridge.

Thank you for the bat signal.

Welcome.

I am here, going back to read.

Welcome.

Love love the photos and how exciting to go on the tour.

It was really amazing and one of many, many highlights

Sorry you did not get your book, I hate to carry things too.

I was actually not too upset. I mainly read when I am on the go and then I much prefer the Kindle app on my phone or iPad to a physical book.

And I hate it you did not get something for your necklace.

I was pretty upset about this.

But it did look amazing and fun.

It was.

I am here, thanks for the bat signal!!

Welcome.

his is something that is definitely on the schedule for my next visit to London! Whenever that will be, it has been far too long since I was in the UK!

I definitely can recommend it. When you do make it and need a tour guide, just let me know. Next month it will have been 20 years since I moved to the UK. I have lived in a few different places and travelled around the country quite extensively.

I thought it was interesting how similar certain parts are to what you can find at Universal in Orlando. Especially Diagon Alley appears to be exactly the same. I guess that shows how intricate the set designs were, but also how true to the film the theme park is.

One of those days I will make it to Universal although I have the feeling I may see the version in California before I see it in Florida.

Did they have frozen butter beer there as well or just the regular one?

No, just the regular one. They also have butter beer soft serve ice cream. I did not try that. Next time!

but I have heard that in the winter they also have a warm butter bear at Universal and since that is the version they have in the books, I would love to try the warm butter beer!

That sounds pretty nice.

What a cool tour! It's fun to learn all the behind-the-scenes details.

I absolutely loved it and just soaked everything up like a sponge.

Corinna

The Harry Potter tour looks really cool--thanks for the pics. Short of being there, you as the tour guide is the next best thing.

I definitely can recommend it. When you do make it and need a tour guide, just let me know. Next month it will have been 20 years since I moved to the UK. I have lived in a few different places and travelled around the country quite extensively.

Wow, soon you will have lived in the UK longer than in Germany!

I used to be in the UK so often, my father, my sister and I hiked all of the South West Coast Path in stages, so lot's of walking holidays (using the proper British term here! ;)) in Cornwall and the South West. And my ex-boyfriend is from Hereford, so I got to know that area there quite well. But there are so many other regions I want to visit and explore, but the exchange rate really has not been friendly for European visitors for a long time now... And with current events, I truly hope that the outcome on June 23rd will not give cause for a lot of change in that regard!!

Following along! Always enjoy your TRs. The studio tour is just great isn't it!? We went before they'd added in Kings Cross and the Hogwarts Express so I feel that's a reason to go back ha! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

Wow, soon you will have lived in the UK longer than in Germany!

Yes, that I actually a pretty scary thought, but also one that makes me happy.

But there are so many other regions I want to visit and explore

There are so many great areas to explore. I still have a very soft spot for Yorkshire, but the Peak District, Lake District, Cotswolds, north east, etc. are all worth a visit.

but the exchange rate really has not been friendly for European visitors for a long time now

For us that is rather sweet.

And with current events, I truly hope that the outcome on June 23rd will not give cause for a lot of change in that regard!!

I am really not sure what to expect, but I am quietly glad that I never got around to giving up my German citizenship. I think that German passport may come in handy in future.

Following along!

Welcome

The studio tour is just great isn't it!?

I absolutely loved it.

We went before they'd added in Kings Cross and the Hogwarts Express so I feel that's a reason to go back ha!

That definitely sounds like an incentive to go back.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the trip.

I am hoping to post an update at some point tomorrow.

Corinna

Day 2

We got up at 8:30 and got ready. Then we headed down to breakfast. This is where the fun started. We had been given the option of either pre-paying for £10 or making the decision in the morning when it would be £12. As I am not really a breakfast person, we decided to wait and see. When we got to breakfast, they did not seem to get their heads around the fact that we did not have a voucher. Eventually it was established that we wanted to charge breakfast to our room. We were asked if we wanted tea or coffee and then went to find a seat.

Finding a seat was easier said than done. I don't think they had expected that many people and had only set up a limited number of tables. We got lucky. One table was just being cleared and we managed to get this. Graham went first to get some breakfast. He went for the healthy option first and had some fruit and yoghurt. I went straight in with the cooked breakfast and had sausage, egg, baked beans and hash browns. I also got some orange juice for both of us. We still did not have our coffee so I asked for this again and this time it arrived fairly swiftly. Graham decided on some cooked breakfast, too. He went with bacon, egg, mushrooms and tomato.

After breakfast, we headed back to the room. We packed the few odds and ends that we had used and then went down to check out. There we got our third freebie of the holiday. The member of staff told us that there were just the room charges. Graham told her that we needed to pay for breakfast, but she told us that it was OK. We thanked her and headed out.

The walk to the station did not take long and this time the Oyster cards worked. We had a short wait for the train, but there were ominous announcements stating that the train had been reported full and standing. They were not kidding. There was no way we could have got on there with our luggage. A member of staff directed us to the London Overground service. So we headed over to the platform where it was leaving from. It stopped everywhere, but we had plenty of time and it was relatively empty. I was really surprised that this was the same kind of train that the use on the underground. I made good use of the fact that I still had mobile internet and played with my iPad. Time passed quick enough.

We had decided to walk to St. Pancras rather than messing around with the underground. It was a beautiful day. In the end it was probably quicker to walk than take the underground. The queues to get down to the underground were insane and it is quite a walk to get to the right platform at Euston and then the same again at the other end. Even with the luggage it did not take us long to walk. When we got to St. Pancras we stopped to take some photos of the beautiful station beautiful station building and then we headed for the international terminal.

It had been a good few years since I had last been to St. Pancras and this was the first time I saw the international terminal. They did a great job with this. It is bright and modern, but does not overshadow the historical building. Despite ending up on a later and slower train than planned and walking, we got there in plenty of time and check in for our train had not opened yet. There were however some signs that did not make me happy. They stated that due to a change in train type, some of the seat numbers had been changed and if this was the case for us, we would get our new seat allocation at check in. We were supposed to be one of their newest trains and I had been really excited about this. Still there was nothing we could do about this and after all, it was just a train.

I decided to leave Graham with the luggage and go and get some water for the journey. I still had a rather bad cough and air conditioning seemed to make it worse, but drinking water seemed to help. So I set off. I was a little bit bewildered by the process. I found all kinds of designer shops and other high end offerings, but nowhere that sold water. This felt more like a high end shopping centre than a station. In the end, I walked all the way to the mainline station before I found somewhere that sold water. I got some water for both of us and then headed back to re-join Graham. As I walked back, I noticed that there was a Marks and Spencer Food shop right near where Graham was standing. I don't know how I had missed this. Still, there seemed to be huge lines so the detour was probably worth my while.

Shortly after I got back, check in opened. Graham went through first and when I scanned the barcode on my ticket, it would not accept it. Graham had printed the tickets double-sided and had scanned my barcode when he went through. I scanned his barcode and everything was fine. We did get a piece of paper with our new seat assignments. We then proceeded to security. This was interesting. They had x-ray machines there that are about the same size as the ones used for hand luggage at the airport. My suitcase is quite big so I was not sure how this would work. They also insisted on putting it in a tray, which made it even bigger. Sure enough, it did not quite want to go through at the first attempt, but they rearranged it a little and then it went through with no further problems. Once we were through security we cleared both UK and French passport control and then we were in a waiting area. We found ourselves some seats. It was only then that I had a proper look at our seat assignment and noticed that something more than just the seats had changed. They had upgraded us to their equivalent of business class. That was very nice. I spend some time catching up online while we waited for the platform for our train to be listed. We did not have too long to wait and when we got to the platform; our coach was right opposite the escalator.

We stored our luggage and found our seats. We had seats opposite each other and they were really comfortable. The trip was really smooth and to my surprise we travelled nonstop from London to Paris. I had expected that we would stop at least once in the UK, but we were inside the channel tunnel very quickly. While we were still in the UK, I made good use of my mobile internet connection. At the other end I worked on my trip report. Once we had entered the channel tunnel, they served lunch, which was very nice. We both had some Pinot Grigio and some water and our meals came with dinner rolls and Lemon Meringue Tart for dessert. Graham had Mushroom and Stilton Quiche with Vegetable Salad for his main course and I had Thai Chicken with Orzo Salad. We both enjoyed our meal. We then had some coffee and I had a chocolate biscuit with this.

Once we arrived at Paris, I checked out the public transport situation. We decided to take a taxi. This was a wise decision. There were lifts at Gare du Nord, but as I found out afterwards there are no lifts at the other end. That would not have been a lot of fun especially for me as my suitcase was rather heavy. I got some cash and then we headed out towards the taxi. Pretty much as soon as we got outside, there were loads of taxis and somebody approached me to ask where I was going. I had assumed that this was a taxi driver, but fortunately Graham noticed that this was actually the driver of a town car. So we carried on towards the taxi rank. The other driver followed us all the way there, but Graham stayed firm. There was quite a long line for the taxis, but it moved quite quickly and soon we were in the taxi. The distance was actually not too far, but we hit a bit of a snag. I had conveniently forgotten that it was the 1st May, which is Labour Day in continental Europe. In the UK, this is not observed and I had kind of forgotten all about it. Not only is this a public holiday in continental Europe if it falls on weekday, but there are usually a lot of demonstrations. We got tangled up in a few of those and after our driver tried various detours to get us to our destination, he had to give up. Fortunately we were not far away and we decided to just walk the rest of the way. Graham went to speak to the policeman who was guarding the entrance of the road while I paid the taxi driver. While this happened, I got very much reminded that traffic in Paris is all about the survival of the fittest. While I paid the driver, my hand luggage that I was carrying on my shoulder, was hit by the mirror of a passing car. Fortunately due to heavy traffic, there was not much impact and the bag absorbed most of this. It still shook me up a little. Once I had paid, I went over to Graham who had directions to our hotel. So we set off.

Our walk had one advantage. It really was not far and on the way, we walked past a Moroccan restaurant. I love couscous so I was quite excited about seeing this. When we got to the street that the hotel is on, I could see why we could not get there. The demonstration was actually happening right there. We were on the opposite side of the road and people actually made a gap for us that we could get through. We did end up overshooting though. There was a sign with the hotel name and an arrow on the street corner, but the rest of the sign had been covered up with a poster so we walked right past it. At one stage I double checked the address and noticed that we had gone too far. So we headed back in the right direction. We went to check in. This hotel was a real find. It is right in the centre of Paris and only a short walk from Gare de Lyon. We did get an absolutely fantastic price for this. It was a little quirky, but for me this added to the charm. We noticed the first quirk when we waited for the lift. The lift was tiny. It just about fit two people without luggage, but it was very cosy. As we both had a suitcase plus some hand luggage, I sent Graham up first and then I followed. The room was a nice size and I loved the décor. We spent a while looking out of the window to see what was happening below. We were quite amused by the fact that as soon as the demonstration was over, there was suddenly a lot of heavy equipment in the road to clean up everything.

We decided to go for a walk and explore the lay of the land. Graham told me that Gare de Lyon is really pretty so we headed in that direction. I only ever had seen the underground part of this. I was really impressed. The architecture is stunning and in one of the halls are a number of murals of places that are served by Gare de Lyon. The second hall was a bit plainer, but still really impressive. We saw a train to Narbonne listed so figured that this was probably where we would catch our train from a couple of days later. One of the highlights in this part of the station is the Train Bleu restaurant. This is station restaurant for Gare de Lyon, but different from any other station restaurant I have ever seen. We did not go in, but we could see the amazing frescos through the glass. I actually had a look at the prices on the menu, but they made my eyes water. I tried to take some photos through the glass, but did not succeed so I had to borrow a couple of photos from their website.

Looking at the menu had made me hungry so we headed to the Moroccan restaurant for some dinner. That was a real find. It was down one of the side streets near Gare de Lyon, but it was in a residential area and off the beaten track. This neighbourhood reminded me of where we live. Old buildings have been converted into apartment buildings and the people who live there seemed to be professionals that are young to middle aged. I felt right at home. When we got to the restaurant, we were directed to a table in an alcove by the window. There were only two tables there and for half the meal, there was only the two of us. The staff were amazing as was the food and the decor was magical. We decided to try some Moroccan Rose Wine, which was light and fruity and very nice. Graham went with the Entrecôte with Onion and Red Wine Sauce, Fries and House Salad, which he really enjoyed. I went with something more traditional. I had the Beef and Vegetable Couscous, which was delicious. The couscous was really light and fluffy and everything that came with it was delicious. The beef was melt in your mouth. There was only one issue. The portion was so big, it could have fed a family of 4 and it was really cheap. The main course was less than 15 Euros. Even though I was full, I had to have dessert. They had home-made Mousse au Chocolat on the menu and this was utterly divine. I also had some mint tea that came in a very generous serving and was delicious. Graham had apple, blackcurrant and lemon sorbet and he loved this. He also had some coffee.

After dinner, we were ready for our bed. We walked back to the hotel and headed straight to the room. Graham took a selfie in the lift to show just how tiny it was. We got ready for bed and then I quickly checked my emails and Facebook before we settled down for the night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter