Some advice regarding Shutters from some lessons learned last week

WDWDeb

Platinum Castaway Club
We just returned from the 8/19 5 night Dream. It was one of the best cruises we have had, and the weather and seas were excellent.
However, we did experience some issues with Shutters, and I wanted to pass along some advice so others might be able to avoid the same situation.

First lesson learned...you may have to proactively make sure you have all your pictures. There were 15 of us (5 staterooms) on a family reunion and we got lots and lots of pictures. Our folders were full of pictures. The face recognition doesn't always work and at times we had to hunt down pictures that we knew had been taken. They were either on the wall or in other folders. When we did portraits, we turned in all our key cards. However, sometimes the pictures would only show up in 1 or 2 folders and not in the others. We would have to take the pictures that were missing that we wanted to a Shutters CM who wrote the number down and requested that it be added to the appropriate folder.

Second lesson learned...and the hardest...double check that you have electronic copies of the hard copies of your pictures if you want to purchase the CD. Two of us decided to purchase the CD of all the pictures for our individual staterooms ($249.00 per CD). We were one of them. I had physical copies of all the pictures I wanted (and I paid the extra $50.00 for the hard copies), but decided to double check at a kiosk that they were all listed electronically because we had had so many issues with not getting our pictures in our folders. We were missing many electronic copies, and I had to get a CM to add the missing ones. She had to get on the phone with someone while she looked at the kiosk and the hard copies and individually listed the hard copy photo numbers that were missing from the electronic copy. The whole ordeal took about 45 minutes. Just because you get a hard copy of a picture, doesn't always mean that it is also listed electronically so DOUBLE CHECK! We told the other members of our party about our problem. We assumed they would double check the electronic pictures too, but we learned that they didn't. We got a franic call yesterday that they had just looked at their CD, and it only had 4 pictures on it. They had 20-30 hardcopies that were in their folder that had been taken that they wanted! They assumed their CD would have all the copies of the hard copy pictures that were in their folders...and that wasn't the case.

I don't know if others have experienced the same problems, but I wanted to pass along our experience to hopefully help others avoid the same situation.

I would also be curious to know if anyone else had the same problem with a CD missing pictures, whether or not you were able to get the missing pictures and how you were able to do it. Our other family members were going to call the customer service number today to see if there was anything that could be done to get their pictures that are missing from the CD. I haven't heard back from them yet regarding the outcome.

However, we did experience some issues with Shutters, and I wanted to pass along some advice so others might be able to avoid the same situation.

You just helped me decide on Shutters. Thanks.

I agree with the PP. IF there's a photo I MUST have I will buy a hard copy. Other than that, I have a wonderful system that works very well for me. But from what I've read if there is another CM helping out with a character then they are usually more than happy to take a picture with your camera, right?

I see a mother/father taking a picture of the rest of his family. I stop and ask 'Would you like me to take the picture so you can be in it?' they are usually very grateful. Then I ask if they would mind taking a quick one of DH and I and 99% of the time they are happy to oblige. This gives 2 families a picture of everyone.

But from what I've read if there is another CM helping out with a character then they are usually more than happy to take a picture with your camera, right?

Yes, you can ask a CM to will use your camera to take pictures. I do find that the nicer Shutters' cameras and professional lighting make a difference at times. So, I wind up purchasing some even when they take the same picture with my own camera just because I think the Shutters pictures look better sometimes. I also think it is nice that the Shutters photographers are on the beach in CC taking pictures in the water. I am too nervous to venture out with my own camera into the water...and the underwater cameras don't do as good of a job.

Yes, you can ask a CM to will use your camera to take pictures. I do find that the nicer Shutters' cameras and professional lighting make a difference at times. So, I wind up purchasing some even when they take the same picture with my own camera just because I think the Shutters pictures look better sometimes. I also think it is nice that the Shutters photographers are on the beach in CC taking pictures in the water. I am too nervous to venture out with my own camera into the water...and the underwater cameras don't do as good of a job.

CM will do it for character pictures since there is always one there. For the non character pics...then no you would need to ask a guest. Shutters staff is not allowed to touch your camera.

Did your families get new CD to replace the faulty ones??? Refund???

They were calling DCL today. When I hear the outcome, I will post it.

Most of the pictures they are missing didn't have us in it so I can't give them copies or even help them to tell DCL what picture numbers they are missing. I have no idea how DCL would identify what pictures should be on their CD? Also, don't they discard all the hardcopies immediately after that cruise? I know we have been on B2Bs and have had to purchase our pictures at the end of the first cruise as they say they don't carry them over.

WDWDeb said:
We just returned from the 8/19 5 night Dream. It was one of the best cruises we have had, and the weather and seas were excellent.

First lesson learned...you may have to proactively make sure you have all your pictures. There were 15 of us (5 staterooms) on a family reunion and we got lots and lots of pictures. Our folders were full of pictures. The face recognition doesn't always work and at times we had to hunt down pictures that we knew had been taken. They were either on the wall or in other folders. When we did portraits, we turned in all our key cards. However, sometimes the pictures would only show up in 1 or 2 folders and not in the others. We would have to take the pictures that were missing that we wanted to a Shutters CM who wrote the number down and requested that it be added to the appropriate folder.

Second lesson learned...and the hardest...double check that you have electronic copies of the hard copies of your pictures if you want to purchase the CD. Two of us decided to purchase the CD of all the pictures for our individual staterooms ($249.00 per CD). We were one of them. I had physical copies of all the pictures I wanted (and I paid the extra $50.00 for the hard copies), but decided to double check at a kiosk that they were all listed electronically because we had had so many issues with not getting our pictures in our folders. We were missing many electronic copies, and I had to get a CM to add the missing ones. She had to get on the phone with someone while she looked at the kiosk and the hard copies and individually listed the hard copy photo numbers that were missing from the electronic copy. The whole ordeal took about 45 minutes. Just because you get a hard copy of a picture, doesn't always mean that it is also listed electronically so DOUBLE CHECK! We told the other members of our party about our problem. We assumed they would double check the electronic pictures too, but we learned that they didn't. We got a franic call yesterday that they had just looked at their CD, and it only had 4 pictures on it. They had 20-30 hardcopies that were in their folder that had been taken that they wanted! They assumed their CD would have all the copies of the hard copy pictures that were in their folders...and that wasn't the case.

I don't know if others have experienced the same problems, but I wanted to pass along our experience to hopefully help others avoid the same situation.

I would also be curious to know if anyone else had the same problem with a CD missing pictures, whether or not you were able to get the missing pictures and how you were able to do it. Our other family members were going to call the customer service number today to see if there was anything that could be done to get their pictures that are missing from the CD. I haven't heard back from them yet regarding the outcome.

We had problems with our CD from a Magic cruise earlier this year. First, it didn't get delivered over night on the last night as promised, after queuing before breakfast on the last morning DH then discovered it hadn't been "made" and was promised it would be ready in 20 mins. He went back after breakfast and it still wasn't ready, so had to wait while they ran it off. We had no way of checking it at this time, and no way of checking at a kiosk as everything was closed down late the last night. When we got home we discovered that some of the pictures of the last night were missing even though we had seen the printed copies. I googled shutters to find their website and followed the instructions for missing pictures and after a couple of e-mails and a few days of waiting I got the missing ones sent to me by e-mail ( I had to send a copy of one of the photos with us all in so they could do facial recognition for the missing ones). I would get them to do it ASAP as I believe there is a time limit on how long they keep the pictures and they will have to contact the ship to get them. Good luck!

We also had a minor problem during the cruise as the portraits we had done of DS did not appear on the wall. We queried this and they checked the records and didn't have them anywhere. They looked into it and found a photographer had not turned in one of the memory cards for printing. Soon rectified, but it is worth checking as you go along that all the photos you might want are there.

The opposite can happen too, check the kiosk for pictures that aren't in your folder. We had that happen and Shutters will print the missing photos for you.

I'm glad Shutters fixed the issues for you.

Back from 8/19 on dream - first cruise

We had both issues. A couple of pictures were not printed. And a couple of printed pictures (that we found on the wall) were not on the display (which is what will end up on the CD anyway).

I checked every night and when I saw this problems, I told a shutters staff (they are not CMs btw) and they added it to my account.

I purchased the CD around 5pm on the last night. SO glad I didn't wait any longer. After dinner (we had 2nd sitting), it was a mad house.

Got the CD but haven't have a chance to purchase it.

We did now find about 4-5 pictures that were cramped and we didn't notice it there. I might call them and ask for reprints...

My only other issue is that we didn't know until night 4 that shutters was taking pictures in the dining rooms. Since at that point I knew I wanted the CD, we were taking any possible picture. But night 4 was pirate night, so the border of the prints just say that. And they did not take pictures on night 5 (last night).

So we don't have any shutters pictures from any of the dining rooms. So if anyone that had pictures taken and got the CD, if you would be so kind of helping us with a print from the dining rooms? We have our own taken with our cameras, and I'll just add the borders.

TIA...

Weve had a problem or 2 in the past, but it was resolved right away by calling shoreside, and also on the ship. First time, on the Wonder, there was a hard copy of me playing with my kids in the water at CC. It wasnt on the cd. We just talked to the people at Shutters, and they made a new disc for us and it was waiting for us the next morn before debarkation.
2nd problem was with our wedding pics on the Magic. We had pics taken with Mickey and Minnie separately during formal night as it was also our wedding day. The pic with Mickey was missing from the cd when we got home. I called Shuters shoreside, Gregg asked me for a similar pic, and same day the missing pic was emailed to me.

They were calling DCL today. When I hear the outcome, I will post it.

Most of the pictures they are missing didn't have us in it so I can't give them copies or even help them to tell DCL what picture numbers they are missing. I have no idea how DCL would identify what pictures should be on their CD? Also, don't they discard all the hardcopies immediately after that cruise? I know we have been on B2Bs and have had to purchase our pictures at the end of the first cruise as they say they don't carry them over.

Dont call Disney. Disney has no control over it. Shutters is contracted to Image shipboard photography. Have them call this number 1.800.772.3470
its the number to the Miami office of Shutters. Typically they will do 1 of 2 things. Either ask for your cabin number and a similar type of picture. Or theyll go thru all of the pics and pull the ones of your family and make a new disc.

wendyoconnor said:
The opposite can happen too, check the kiosk for pictures that aren't in your folder. We had that happen and Shutters will print the missing photos for you.

I'm glad Shutters fixed the issues for you.

Sounds nightmarish. We will be traveling with three 2 year olds. No one is going to have time or patience to stand and compare and check and make sure it is all right for forty five minutes. For $300 or $350 this should all be RIGHT the first try. I'm a little anxious about this now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Like the OP, we ended up checking our printed photos and CDs to make sure we were not missing any photos.

Another thing to check - the dates (and ports) on our embarkation photo were were wrong on the CD but not on the prints.

-Kay

Did your families get new CD to replace the faulty ones??? Refund???

If you call and talk to shoreside, theyll either cut a new disc or theyll email the missing pics. Depends on how many were missing.

Here is an update...
A ticket was opened. Here is the auto email response:

A Guest Services Representative will review your request and personally respond to you, usually within 2 business days.
In the meantime you will be able to find solutions to our most common problems here http://image.freshdesk.com/solution/categories

So we went to the link above and there are quite a few DIY troubleshooting steps regarding picture CDs if anyone else ever has any issues. Here is the info regarding what to do if you are missing photos from a CD:

Please submit a ticket and attach the printout that you received onboard with black and white thumbnails of your photos. Circle the missing photo(s), scan, and attach to your ticket.
If you do not have this printout, please describe the missing photos and attach a reference photo to your ticket to help the ship locate your photos. We keep photos on file for a maximum of 6 weeks.

Lesson number three...get a thumbnail printout. We didn't get one either. Does DCL give thumbnail printouts? That would certainly would be easier than having to describe each missing photo, which is what she is going to have to do now.

Dont call Disney. Disney has no control over it. Shutters is contracted to Image shipboard photography. Have them call this number 1.800.772.3470
its the number to the Miami office of Shutters.

Yes, thank you. That is the number we called.
Not until we had this issue did I realize that they were a vendor and not Disney.

Please submit a ticket and attach the printout that you received onboard with black and white thumbnails of your photos. Circle the missing photo(s), scan, and attach to your ticket.
If you do not have this printout, please describe the missing photos and attach a reference photo to your ticket to help the ship locate your photos. We keep photos on file for a maximum of 6 weeks.

Lesson number three...get a thumbnail printout. We didn't get one either. Does DCL give thumbnail printouts? That would certainly would be easier than having to describe each missing photo, which is what she is going to have to do now.

We didn't get a thumbnail printout either!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter