Solo Trips

DanPadavona

Mouseketeer
I have done 2 solo trips and each time I missed my family really bad.

My main motivation for each of these trips, besides missing Disney of course, has been to escape the cold dreary northeastern weather. My wife teaches, and the kids are in school now, so really the only times we can go as a family are during Easter break and Summer. But winter, late fall, and early spring is high time to escape the northeast when you can.

I went once in 1999 during the Flower and Garden Festival. The April weather at WDW is hard to beat - that was a great getaway. The day before I left it was still snowing in NY. The second time I went was in 2002 in late February. What a disaster. :sad2: It rained every day I was there, and one day it never got out of the upper 40s. Miserable!

There are definite benefits to having solo time at WDW. You can move very fast, and you do everything on a whim. If you are sitting in MK and suddenly think how nice it might be over at Epcot, you don't have to query the troops. You just go. If you are full of energy, or beat down tired, you plan around yourself. If you want to ride the TTA in Tomorrowland 20 times in one day, you do it. (this is slightly biographical ;) ) You eat what you want, when you are hungry. You sleep in when you are tired. Yeah there are advantages.

I've also noted when you aren't having to watch the kids like a hawk, you "see" a lot more of the parks than you had noticed before.

It's a fun diversion. But if you usually go the family, expect to feel a lot of guilt and miss them terribly. :love1:

DanPadavona said:
I've also noted when you aren't having to watch the kids like a hawk, you "see" a lot more of the parks than you had noticed before.

It's a fun diversion. But if you usually go the family, expect to feel a lot of guilt and miss them terribly. :love1:

Howdy, neighbor (I'm in Cortland)! I agree with you on both counts. I especially loved Epcot solo, as the detail is incredible in the WS - IF you have the chance to slow down and not have your attention split between the showcases and your children. I also missed my kids, but it helped for me to stay away from MK and MGM, their favorite parks. I doubt I'll visit those parks solo, because I'd want to point out fun things and past memories - share that magic, I suppose. I'll be trying AK this trip, and I wonder how I'll do on Kali River Rapids - I love the ride (especially the queue theming), but will probably miss the kids' squealing and enjoyment. I feel no guilt, though, because they're visiting their dad and heading over to Universal Studios while I'm at WDW.

One thing that I find that helps is to do a few things that you know you couldn't if family was along. Like I went to CRT breakfast once-no way DH would enjoy that! Went on Dumbo, Goofy's Barnstormer, wouldn't stay at POFQ solo-why? It was DH's favorite resort. So I've always had "my" resort, one I've only stayed at on solo trips.

MickeyMonstersMom said:
Howdy, neighbor (I'm in Cortland)! I agree with you on both counts. I especially loved Epcot solo, as the detail is incredible in the WS - IF you have the chance to slow down and not have your attention split between the showcases and your children. I also missed my kids, but it helped for me to stay away from MK and MGM, their favorite parks. I doubt I'll visit those parks solo, because I'd want to point out fun things and past memories - share that magic, I suppose. I'll be trying AK this trip, and I wonder how I'll do on Kali River Rapids - I love the ride (especially the queue theming), but will probably miss the kids' squealing and enjoyment. I feel no guilt, though, because they're visiting their dad and heading over to Universal Studios while I'm at WDW.

Holy Cow! I grew up in Cortland :goodvibes

Have fun on your trip. It's a unique perspective for certain. I still do MK when I am on a solo trip, but I spend most of my time hanging out by the Tomorrowland Transportation Authority or on Pirates. Both are great "cool down" rides.

Another New Yorker here! Upstate area..

I just made reservations for my first solo trip - April 2nd till the 5th.. I hope I know what I'm doing and don't end up walking around blathering like a big baby the whole time - LOL..

I'm not much of a "ride" person, so I'm hoping to focus on all of the little details we miss when we're with others..

Any suggestions on things I can look for? :flower:

Consider taking one of the many tours offered. Great way to see another side of the parks and still be in the parks. I'm doing the Segway Tour in EPCOT and on the verge of booking the Keys to the Kingdom in MK. Since this is my solo trip I can do what ever I want. Enjoy!

Ice cream is a prefectly acceptable breakfast food on a solo vacation. :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter