Solo travelers on ABD?

capricorn19

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
Have you gone on an ABD solo or have you been on a ABD where there was a solo traveler?

I'm considering going on the Enchanted China ABD solo and just wonder if others had any insight.

Have you gone on an ABD solo or have you been on a ABD where there was a solo traveler?

I'm considering going on the Enchanted China ABD solo and just wonder if others had any insight.

We've done 2 ABDs this year and we didn't have any solo travelers, but with all the friendly "fellow adventurers", I'm sure you won't feel left out...

We booked the Sept 17th trip. Which one are you thinking of?

I did my first ABD trip, London/Paris in 2006, as a solo traveler. I had a fantastic time and had no worries at all about being alone. Lots of other travelers invited me along for free-time meals and I was only alone when I wanted to be. I never felt excluded or separate in any way and always felt very safe on the trip.

I made lots of new friends, two of whom I traveled with on my 2nd ABD trip this year.

Go for it! You'll have a great time!

dingoballs-

I haven't decided if I want to go in the spring or the fall. I think it would probably be beautiful anytime.

I was telling my mom that May was open to everyone and Sept was adults only, and she said, "At least there wouldn't be a bunch of kids running around."

Kids don't bother me so much and it is always fun to see the expressions on their faces when they see something new and exciting. And, I know if I could I would love to take my 7 year old niece. Then in Sept I wonder about being a solo traveler on an adult trip with the possibility of a bunch of honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries. Anyway...

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Magix-

Thanks for your insight...my cousin and I had talked about going to Costa Rica, but once China became available that changed my mind.

Everyone I talk to says they would go by there self no questions asked. So now I just have to decide between May and Sept.

Thanks again for your encouraging words.

dingoballs-

>>snipped<<Then in Sept I wonder about being a solo traveler on an adult trip with the possibility of a bunch of honeymooners and people celebrating anniversaries.

I don't think I'd worry about that at all. Even if there are a couple of honeymooners or anniversaries, I'm sure not all the adults will be couples ...and even if they are all couples, they wouldn't be doing a Disney tour unless they were fairly friendly and willing to include others in their adventure.

What I'd worry about is the single supplement which can make the trip substantially more expensive. Do you have a relative, co-worker or friend who might want to go and share a room with you. That way two people could go on the adventure for not a whole lot more than just one.

konslerg-

Good point regarding people being willing to share there vacation with others.

As far as the single supplement goes I'm using my DVC points. I know they don't exactly make the point exchange reasonable, but I just joined this year (and already banked them for next year) and I am not planning a WDW trip until 2011 and thought why let them go to waste. I know I can rent them out but I'd rather not go thru the hassle and time and worry about a deal falling thru at the last minute...So why not use them for something I would probably never have done otherwise.

Thanks for you insight.

As far as the single supplement goes I'm using my DVC points. I know they don't exactly make the point exchange reasonable, but I just joined this year (and already banked them for next year) and I am not planning a WDW trip until 2011 and thought why let them go to waste. I know I can rent them out but I'd rather not go thru the hassle and time and worry about a deal falling thru at the last minute...So why not use them for something I would probably never have done otherwise.

Capricorn19

If it makes a difference in choosing whether to book the May or Sept trip, I read on another thread that the $1,000 early booking discount is not being offered for the May trip anymore...

We chose the Sept trip partly because we're already going on another trip in May, not because it's an Adults Only. Also, we think Beijing will be especially nice & clean in Sept because the Summer Olympics would have taken place just the month before (August 8th to 24th)...

dingoballs-

I called today to get some info and the lady at ABD told me that the early booking discount was no longer in effect for May, but is still available for Sept. She also said that the May trip was 1/2 booked and the Sept was just under half. I'm going to call DVC MS tomorrow and see if there is a difference in points and probably go ahead and book. If Sept is any less in points I may be seeing you then. I just wish you could get flight info this far out for the Sept trip. But give it another month and it shouldn't be a problem.

Looks like Hong Kong Disneyland will have started their Halloween celebration, which could really be fun.

Also, good point about it being clean after the Olympics.

Until later...

I am booked on the Once Upon a Fairytale (Germany) on JUne 21, 2007. I got the early booking date also.

I am a solo and I am sure I will have a great atime.

I ended up paying cash and not using my DVC points.

I could have used points for one and paid cash for the solo supplement and did a little research and figured it would be more wise to just pay cash. Now I still have all the points to do something else with.

By any chance is anyone else doing the Germany trip?

I went solo with ABD to Italy on the Viva Italia tour. I did not feel out of place at all. The guides made me feel like part of the crowd perfectly.:goodvibes I had a wonderful time. The tour was this past September.

Would someone be able to give a ballpark estimate of the single supplement? I would love to do one of the ABD trips and don't have someone who wants to go. I know the amount would vary with the trip. Thanks in advance.

Would someone be able to give a ballpark estimate of the single supplement? I would love to do one of the ABD trips and don't have someone who wants to go. I know the amount would vary with the trip. Thanks in advance.

I don't know for sure. But I have a feeling it would be like most cruise lines and range from 1.5 and 1.75 times the cost of one person. So if the tour was $3,000 per person for double occupancy, I would guess somewhere between $4,500 and $5,250 for single occupancy. But it would probably be best to call and confirm.

I traveled solo with ABD on the viva italia tour last summer. I had a great time. The tour gudies as well as the other travelers made me feel like part of the family. :goodvibes

I did the Southwest Splendors tour (just returned!) and the single supplement was about 40% of the cost of the trip, $728 for a $1819 trip. It was really rather reasonable compared to most companies, and was one of the reasons I decided to book the tour. Honestly, it's a 7-night itinerary, so it's really just an extra approximately $100 a night for the "other half" of the hotel room. Call the concierge and they'll be happy to quote you the exact amount.

There were 3 singles on the tour (including me), a family of 3 (college-age daughter) and several couples who all were happy to include me. The guides really work to make everyone feel like one big family.

sayhello

Question about the single supplement:
(because I haven't poked around the actual ABD site yet--forgive my laziness!);)

Is it required? Or, do you have the option to be matched up with another single traveler?
That's how another group (Backroads) does it (or used to)....if you are willing to have a random same sex roommate, you get put together and don't have to pay the extra.

They do not pair you up with anyone. Why would they, they want that extra suplement :eek: :eek:

I am a solo traveler and went on the Viva Italian tour last year. This time its the Imperial Cities. :goodvibes I had a wonderful time last year.:)

Question about the single supplement:
(because I haven't poked around the actual ABD site yet--forgive my laziness!);)

Is it required? Or, do you have the option to be matched up with another single traveler?
That's how another group (Backroads) does it (or used to)....if you are willing to have a random same sex roommate, you get put together and don't have to pay the extra.
To my knowledge there is no matching. It was never offered or suggested to me as a single traveler.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter