So it looks like Be Our Guest is becoming Prix Fixe Meal and 2TS credits...thoughts?

It’s not a matter of wanting chicken tenders and mac & cheese, it’s a matter of not paying for an octopus tentacle and liver pate when no one will eat it. It’s also the fact that you’re eating in a castle based on a kids movie, in a kids park, so common sense would dictate that the food would be something that wouldn’t repel a child. That doesn’t have to be “chicken tenders and Mac n cheese”. Hopefully this doesn’t turn into another CRT, taking itself too seriously and producing mediocre “gourmet” food.

It’s not a matter of wanting chicken tenders and mac & cheese, it’s a matter of not paying for an octopus tentacle and liver pate when no one will eat it. It’s also the fact that you’re eating in a castle based on a kids movie, in a kids park, so common sense would dictate that the food would be something that wouldn’t repel a child. That doesn’t have to be “chicken tenders and Mac n cheese”. Hopefully this doesn’t turn into another CRT, taking itself too seriously and producing mediocre “gourmet” food.

I'm with you on tempering expectations for food quality, but BatB isn't just a kid's movie, and MK isn't just a kid's park - one of the reasons the remake was so popular is because older, nostalgic millennials who saw it in '91 came in droves to see the update. It's the same here- sure, tons of kids love BatB (and they should get to enjoy the castle experience, as well), but so do the twenty&thirty-something set who will pay for an upscale experience with wine & the whole nine yards.

But what we are saying is that there are a LOT of people, families, even!, who are NOT repelled by those options. They are begging for those options. People are happy there will FINALLY be a place that has everything - the entertainment, the idea of good, "authentic" food, and in, what some think is, beautiful surroundings.

BatB is set in 1700's, France. Where they probably had pate, octopus, various forms of pork, and lamb. Probably no nuggets or pizza or burgers to be seen.

And, I would disagree that MK is geared to kids, solely.

Yes, I was one of those who flocked to see the new B&B, and I loved it. I just think that it’s a shame that the two iconic castle restaurants in the park are (now) both ridiculously priced and the food in both is outside many people’s comfort zones. I think the food looks ok, but I’ll have to drag my family there kicking and screaming, which I will do because I love the atmosphere here, but i shouldn’t have to. I do think the menu is a little too adventurous and pretentious, but thAts just my opinion.

But what we are saying is that there are a LOT of people, families, even!, who are NOT repelled by those options. They are begging for those options. People are happy there will FINALLY be a place that has everything - the entertainment, the idea of good, "authentic" food, and in, what some think is, beautiful surroundings.

BatB is set in 1700's, France. Where they probably had pate, octopus, various forms of pork, and lamb. Probably no nuggets or pizza or burgers to be seen.

And, I would disagree that MK is geared to kids, solely.
Next time you’re in fantasyland (where this restaurant is located) Look around you and tell me that it is not geared towards children. And there are lots of things that they ate in France in the 1700s that people would not touch now, should they be on the menu too? And I find it hard to believe that people were begging for octopus tentacles and liver pate. I don’t know of anyone who goes to the Magic Kingdom expecting or looking for a gourmet French meal. The old menu was gourmet French food too, and no one liked it. Hopefully they’ll like the new food.

And there are plenty of people, even children!, who would never eat a chicken tender and ARE clamoring for an adult food option in the mk. Especially now that we can get some wine to go with it.

And there are plenty of people, even children!, who would never eat a chicken tender and ARE clamoring for an adult food option in the mk. Especially now that we can get some wine to go with it.
I have to say that I get really tired of seeing chicken tenders on the menu on the quick service menus.

I have to order from the allergy menu. Sometimes I have two choices. One of them is always chicken tenders. Ugh.

My son, when he was young, would have jumped at the chance to try octopus. He loved sea food and wanted to eat it all. He would have also enjoyed the meat and cheese. Serve that with some bread and he would have been a happy camper. Now, I think snails would be the only thing he wouldn't want to try, now.

I think the menu looks interesting. Enough for 2 table credits? Unsure.

As for the unknown kids menu, I hope if they put a mac and cheese on there (which seem likely since it's on almost EVERY menu) that it's not the goopey orange stuff served in almost all the Disney restaurants. My kids think Mac and Cheese is one of the major food groups and even they won't touch that. I can't blame them - I tried it once. I think a bowl of paste would be more appetizing. (yes, paste, not pasta).

Next time you’re in fantasyland (where this restaurant is located) Look around you and tell me that it is not geared towards children. And there are lots of things that they ate in France in the 1700s that people would not touch now, should they be on the menu too? And I find it hard to believe that people were begging for octopus tentacles and liver pate. I don’t know of anyone who goes to the Magic Kingdom expecting or looking for a gourmet French meal. The old menu was gourmet French food too, and no one liked it. Hopefully they’ll like the new food.

Well for me personally, I've been kinda sick of Magic Kingdom being a park where you can't find a decent high quality meal. So adding one to me is a great thing. Magic kingdom lacks good high quality food in my opinion so its about time.

If the food is good that is.. Last time I ate at BOG for dinner it was a nice experience and loved the detail, but the food itself was nothing to write home about.

I think the menu looks interesting. Enough for 2 table credits? Unsure.

As for the unknown kids menu, I hope if they put a mac and cheese on there (which seem likely since it's on almost EVERY menu) that it's not the goopey orange stuff served in almost all the Disney restaurants. My kids think Mac and Cheese is one of the major food groups and even they won't touch that. I can't blame them - I tried it once. I think a bowl of paste would be more appetizing. (yes, paste, not pasta).
For $35 it better be something better than mac and cheese!

And I find it hard to believe that people were begging for octopus tentacles and liver pate. I don’t know of anyone who goes to the Magic Kingdom expecting or looking for a gourmet French meal.

Agree.

Well for me personally, I've been kinda sick of Magic Kingdom being a park where you can't find a decent high quality meal.

I also agree with this too.

Turns out, different people like different kinds of food!

What this thread really points out, to me, is that the MK really needs more table service restaurants.

Well for me personally, I've been kinda sick of Magic Kingdom being a park where you can't find a decent high quality meal. So adding one to me is a great thing. Magic kingdom lacks good high quality food in my opinion so its about time.

If the food is good that is.. Last time I ate at BOG for dinner it was a nice experience and loved the detail, but the food itself was nothing to write home about.

+1, I like the idea that MK may have another type of option (depending on the quality and execution of these changes.) And my 5YO will not be complaining - we tend to have the opposite problem than many where if we go to a restaurant and all they have on the kids menu is hot dogs and chicken tenders, we have to pony up for an adult meal for her. Of course she also prefers sashimi over Sonic so we acknowledge she may not be the typical kid eater...

A kids menu is only for ages up to 10, but my 13-year-old and older children are still kids, but cannot eat off the kids menu.

I think the only time they are really picky about which menu a kid orders from is if you're on the dining plan or if you're eating at a buffet-style meal. I'll have a 10 year old on our next trip and she will likely order from the kids menu still because she doesn't eat enough to finish adult-size meals - having said that she'd jump at the filet...

With the changes they've made you can still eat at Be Our Guest for Breakfast or Lunch and the menu is not changing at those times if you aren't satisfied with the menu for dinner. Sometimes I think people would be surprised at what kids will try and like. When Skipper Canteen first opened, people were complaining about that menu not being "kid friendly," but my picky kid loves it there.

For $35 it better be something better than mac and cheese!
It isn't at CRT! And it's MORE there!

I don't have an issue with it being "mac and cheese" as long as it's not the orange glop they try to pass off as mac and cheese. Maybe a shell pasta with a white cheddar sauce. Something a *little* higher than the orange, overcooked, gelatinous mess they serve everywhere.

It isn't at CRT! And it's MORE there!

I don't have an issue with it being "mac and cheese" as long as it's not the orange glop they try to pass off as mac and cheese. Maybe a shell pasta with a white cheddar sauce. Something a *little* higher than the orange, overcooked, gelatinous mess they serve everywhere.

Is Disney mac and cheese the Kraft stuff? I remember trying it on my very first trip as a kid and absolutely hating it. I was expecting something more along the lines of what I was used to- proper cheese with pasta that wasn't a gooey mess. I thought the kids meals were kind of boring tbh. I was never a chicken nuggets or nothing kid.

Octopus is a little bit out of my comfort zone, yes. Do you eat the entire tentacle?

Is Disney mac and cheese the Kraft stuff? I remember trying it on my very first trip as a kid and absolutely hating it. I was expecting something more along the lines of what I was used to- proper cheese with pasta that wasn't a gooey mess. I thought the kids meals were kind of boring tbh. I was never a chicken nuggets or nothing kid.

Octopus is a little bit out of my comfort zone, yes. Do you eat the entire tentacle?
No, the mac n cheese is Stouffer's. Some of the TS will make their own. California Grill used to have a really great homemade mac n cheese with Mickey shaped noodles.

As for octopus, you can eat both the tentacles and the body. I used to love a whole baby octopus dish at a Greek restaurant in Chicago ... it was delicious! I no longer eat octopus even though I still enjoy the taste. They are just too darn smart for me to eat any longer :(.

I think the Mac n cheese at most QS is the Stouffer's stuff...but it has been a long, long time since I have ordered it for anyone. Now, I LOVE mac n cheese, but the Disney version usually sucks.

You do eat the tentacle. My first go-round with it was when I was newly married and my BIL was eating a (whole) baby octopus. The suckers were sticking to the inside of his mouth. Mmmm...great intro ;)

Obviously, we disagree. I will only say that there are almost as many people/couples/families without young kids as there are with. You can't lose sight of ANY of your customers. The families with kids who will only eat kid-friendly food but HAVE to be in the castle, can still go, we assume, for breakfast or lunch. I can't think of anything that would make me say *** on a menu, to be honest. Bring it on. It being on the menu is not a demand that I eat it. I would prefer to expose myself and my family to some unusual options rather than seek out another vanilla eatery. A long, hot day at "the happiest place on earth"...a gourmet dinner in a dark castle might be the cure to the ails.

Anyway, I hope it is successful and that lunch and breakfast are still available "as is" for those that want it....

One more thing, I hope that they do offer more than one vegetarian option for appetizer and entree even if that means you have to speak with the chef. My DD is not a big fan of french onion soup and she can't eat the other options.

I totally ate chicken tenders everywhere they were offered when I was a kid, but they weren't the only thing I'd eat. If they weren't on the menu I could always find something else I'd eat (and my parents weren't about to let my pickiness dictate where we ate all the time).

Since they're going for French food, can I get some aligot?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter