So disappointed in LaHacienda

I believe @Polydweller is correct in that this non-Disney-owned location would not have access to diners' contact information. Clearly Disney itself is not set up to notify diners of sudden, short-term closures - they don't have the staffing or procedure to. The restaurant surely doesn't.
I make a reservation through MDE. Disney obviously has my contact info. Is it really too much to imagine that they could send a notification back through this same channel? Restaurant sends message regarding upcoming reservations being effected to Disney, Disney sends a text notification..... well, based on Disney's record with IT, maybe it is too much to imagine. But it'd still be a reasonable expectation from most companies

they have your name and how many in your party. do you really want that many people having access to your phone number? I wouldn't not like a local place where there are local people a lot f the CMs esp at EPCOT are from other countries I wouldn't want my phone number out like that at a theme park
No reason that they can't notify Disney reservations who then send the text to effected diners. Well, no reason except poor customer service and even worse IT.

If they were open, why was another guest standing outside for 30 minutes?

Sorry, there is another poster who said that they could order specific items.

I have to agree with others though, that the restaurants themselves do not have your number. Plus it sounds like they were hopeful the problem would be fixed, so they probably didn't want to turn people away only to have the restaurant open shortly thereafter.

I would have been bummed too, but the restaurant did offer other options, and the OP did dine somewhere else. It is not as if they had to leave the park to find a restaurant.

Sorry, there is another poster who said that they could order specific items.

I have to agree with others though, that the restaurants themselves do not have your number. Plus it sounds like they were hopeful the problem would be fixed, so they probably didn't want to turn people away only to have the restaurant open shortly thereafter.

I would have been bummed too, but the restaurant did offer other options, and the OP did dine somewhere else. It is not as if they had to leave the park to find a restaurant.
Completely agree that other options were available. That's a great thing about Disney. But, as I commented above, it really doesn't take super-advanced technology to send a message to Disney reservations that the restaurant is out of commission and then have a text sent out to effected diners by Disney. If the repair man hadn't even shown up yet (as reported above), it's pretty reasonable to think they'd still be down for quite awhile. I work in a non-restaurant industry where we follow pretty much this exact protocol for inconvenienced clients to get notifications to them without exposing their personal data. I'm sure we all have different standards and expectations for customer service and this one doesn't live up to mine (or OP either I guess).

If they were open, why was another guest standing outside for 30 minutes?
That wasn't another guest. It was the hostess, and "they" refers to the restaurant.
I make a reservation through MDE. Disney obviously has my contact info
Okay...
Is it really too much to imagine that they could send a notification back through this same channel?
Yes. This is an unreasonable expectation for at least a couple of reasons. The restaurant had no ETA for the repair. Maintenance could have driver a minute after the OP left, and fixed the problem in two minutes. Then, too, this happens rarely enough that there isn't a need for the process you suggest. Finally, if you did not make the reservation via text, a text notification would not be through the same channel. Where do you expect the personnel to be taken from?
But, as I commented above, it really doesn't take super-advanced technology to send a message to Disney reservations that the restaurant is out of commission and then have a text sent out to effected diners by Disney
Not going defend Disney's less than ideal IT. But expecting what would have to be rolling notifications in a place with alternative dining options in the same location and many, many other cuisines within strolling distance is at least somewhat unreasonable.

But, as I commented above, it really doesn't take super-advanced technology to send a message to Disney
Texting either required a cell phone, or a computer with texting software.

To the best of my knowledge, POS does not have texting capabilities.

It is unreasonable to expect an employee to use their own phone/property for work purposes.

Who/what department at WDW do you feel should be taxed with receiving the information, compiling the necessary list of guests, and dispersing the messages?

How frequently do you think there are unexpected restaurant closures that any such procedure should be designed and implemented?

They do have that capability to alert you when your table is ready - at least at Rose and Crown, Skipper Canteen and at ‘Ohana, they asked me for my cell number to send a text when my table was ready. (They had buzzers for people who did not have a cell phone - or at least one that worked in the US.) But as I said before, I had to give them my number - they did not just have it from the ADR.

It is unreasonable to expect an employee to use their own phone/property for work purposes.

Who/what department at WDW do you feel should be taxed with receiving the information, compiling the necessary list of guests, and dispersing the messages?

How frequently do you think there are unexpected restaurant closures that any such procedure should be designed and implemented?

The way I'd see it working is like this: Major issue occurs. Restaurant notifies Disney's reservation department as Disney has access to our contact info. Notification can be sent out through text, email, MDE (whatever) to notify the guests of the issue. The reservations were all made through them anyway, it's not like there's some arduous task involved in having a database call up the effected reservations.

I get a similar notice when attractions are down and Fastpass+ is effected. I'm not sure how often restaurants have unexpected closures, but I bet it's a lot less often than rides do. And they can manage that just fine. Just use the same process for the restaurant reservations with the one extra step being the restaurant notifies Disney first.

I don't see why you think this would require an individual staff member to use their phone or why you'd describe it as taxing, but perhaps we're interpreting the steps involved differently.

I agree that a restaurant wouldn't do this with every minor issue, just as rides don't cancel faspasses for every minor issue. But a half hour and no repair-person in sight sounds like a longer than typical delay. I would certainly appreciate notification in a situation like that.

Notification can be sent out through text, email, MDE (whatever) to notify the guests of the issue.
By whom?
The reservations were all made through them anyway,
And when you feel one of more Dining Reservations CMs should be receiving and transmitting this rare, temporary information, Disney thinks they should be taking incoming reservation calls, i.e. performing their assigned, expected, mandatory work.
I'm not sure how often restaurants have unexpected closures, but I bet it's a lot less often than rides do
For this exact reason, such notification is an unnecessary waste of available resources.

You disagree. Fine. Tell Disney. Arguing here has absolutely no effect on Disney actions.

By whom?

And when you feel one of more Dining Reservations CMs should be receiving and transmitting this rare, temporary information, Disney thinks they should be taking incoming reservation calls, i.e. performing their assigned, expected, mandatory work.

For this exact reason, such notification is an unnecessary waste of available resources.

You disagree. Fine. Tell Disney. Arguing here has absolutely no effect on Disney actions.

One Dining CM taking 2 minutes to send out an automated message on what we both agree is a rare occurrence seems unlikely to break the system. And the attitude that the notification is an unnecessary waste is pretty much the attitude that has caused OP to feel upset if I'm interpreting the intent of the original post. Communicating about problems with guests shouldn't be seen as a waste of resources, but really a basic step in good customer service.

Anyway, I thought we were discussing, not arguing. Sorry if you're feeling upset by it. What's the point in responding at all if you're going to take the approach of "Fine. Tell Disney." etc? I see that you've had enough of the conversation though, so all the best to you.

The way I'd see it working is like this: Major issue occurs. Restaurant notifies Disney's reservation department as Disney has access to our contact info. Notification can be sent out through text, email, MDE (whatever) to notify the guests of the issue. The reservations were all made through them anyway, it's not like there's some arduous task involved in having a database call up the effected reservations.

I get a similar notice when attractions are down and Fastpass+ is effected. I'm not sure how often restaurants have unexpected closures, but I bet it's a lot less often than rides do. And they can manage that just fine. Just use the same process for the restaurant reservations with the one extra step being the restaurant notifies Disney first.

I don't see why you think this would require an individual staff member to use their phone or why you'd describe it as taxing, but perhaps we're interpreting the steps involved differently.

I agree that a restaurant wouldn't do this with every minor issue, just as rides don't cancel faspasses for every minor issue. But a half hour and no repair-person in sight sounds like a longer than typical delay. I would certainly appreciate notification in a situation like that.

So we expect Disney to create this new(or add-on) system in the event a restaurant has to close for some reason? And how often does this happen over the course of a month, year? I’m guessing one event next to never. I’ve been going to WDW for over 30-years and this circumstance is the first I ever recall ...not saying doesn’t happen but not very often and certainly not enough to spend money creating a system “in case.” Sure, the system exists for rides but that happens much more frequently for weather or mechanical reasons. Your point is well-taken but I think it’s unrealistic from Disney’s point of view. They have enough struggles managing the technology they have! I vote for improving that first, then if there’s any cash left over let’s take a look at this.

So we expect Disney to create this new(or add-on) system in the event a restaurant has to close for some reason? And how often does this happen over the course of a month, year? I’m guessing one event next to never. I’ve been going to WDW for over 30-years and this circumstance is the first I ever recall ...not saying doesn’t happen but not very often and certainly not enough to spend money creating a system “in case.” Sure, the system exists for rides but that happens much more frequently for weather or mechanical reasons. Your point is well-taken but I think it’s unrealistic from Disney’s point of view. They have enough struggles managing the technology they have! I vote for improving that first, then if there’s any cash left over let’s take a look at this.
I understand what you mean. It just seems like such a simple step to take to take care of guests. I wouldn't think a new system would really be needed, just a better use of the information they already have (e.g. look up guest bookings effected and send out a notice). And it could be applied to any number of things other than restaurants (e.g. perhaps you booked a horse back ride at Fort Wilderness, but for some reason the stable has to close for the day. Or you booked a fishing excursion but they've decided the boats can't go out that day at all). Sure I don't want individual cast members being responsible for contacting every guest. But having a central reservation system send out notices when a larger than normal issue occurs would be great. Perhaps their current system really can't handle this though, in which case it's a hopeless wish. Also, I suppose a change in process really depends on how many people feel upset by such occurrences and let them know about it.
Let's hope that someday the idea of Disney managing new technology quickly doesn't seem like such a pipe dream. In the meantime, I'll cast my vote right along with you for hoping they master their current tech.

I would have been disappointed too. I get it though especially if i was looking forward to dining there. That’s bad timing and bad luck.

What's the point in Disney requiring your phone number if they're not going to use it in situations like this?

It just seems like such a simple step to take to take care of guests.
Yet unnecessary, given how infrequently it would be utilized. Even if you include tours, etc. Besides which, those activities don't have a range of times, not a large number of participants, like the rare restaurant mechanical issue would cause.
I wouldn't think a new system would really be needed, just a better use of the information they already have (e.g. look up guest bookings effected and send out a notice).
it requires a new program be written, tested (rewritten, retested, rewritten...) before implementation. It would be used enough to justify the time involved.
What's the point in Disney requiring your phone number if they're not going to use it in situations like this?
Ask Disney. Or complain to Disney. What was the point of Disney requiring your phone number prior to the existence of the internet? Why does any business require your phone number? Does Target call to tell you something is out of stock?

Bummer. We had a lovely impromptu meal there last week. Made the reservation about 30 min prior to showing up and it was just lovely with fabulous service.

We had ADR for dinner on Monday, Sept 9. Rushed to get to there on time to find out they are closed! We were told they were out of gas :confused3 and weren't able to co ok. She said that they had already been waiting for 30 min for someone to come and fix it. I had 3 options, 1. go to San Angel, 2 go to the bar in Mexico, 3 wait for it to be fixed. I didn't like any of the options. So we cancelled our reservation and scrambled for someone to take us as a walk in. Fortunately it wasn't crowded and we were able to get into another restaurant for dinner.

I was looking forward to eating here as we have always had a good meal. I felt that they could have at least texted us that they were closed and given us to options in a text. We were very disappointed in how this was handled.

After dinner we walked by and found that they were still closed. I really wonder what the exact problem was because no one else in World Showcase had the same problem.

Restaurants don’t always have control over that and if it happened last minute and unexpectedly how do you expect them to text every reservation that on their list? Also, not all restaurants share the same gas line so it wouldn’t impact anywhere else. They weren’t lying to you.

Sometimes it’s okay to be critical of how a restaurant operates itself, but sometimes there are things that happen that are beyond their control. Only certain people are trained to work on gas lines, so they had to wait. It’s like when Expedition Everest goes down because of weather, it’s just something you need to deal with.

Why does any business require your phone number? Does Target call to tell you something is out of stock?

Well, yes, if Target asked for my phone number in order to secure an item that was out of stock, and then they never bothered to call when the item came into stock, yes I would be irritated. Because they didn't do their job.

Most businesses that require phone numbers use them to...you know...get a hold of you (by phone) if something goes awry. Otherwise, why require it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter