So disappointed in LaHacienda

Nohal

DIS Veteran
We had ADR for dinner on Monday, Sept 9. Rushed to get to there on time to find out they are closed! We were told they were out of gas :confused3 and weren't able to co ok. She said that they had already been waiting for 30 min for someone to come and fix it. I had 3 options, 1. go to San Angel, 2 go to the bar in Mexico, 3 wait for it to be fixed. I didn't like any of the options. So we cancelled our reservation and scrambled for someone to take us as a walk in. Fortunately it wasn't crowded and we were able to get into another restaurant for dinner.

I was looking forward to eating here as we have always had a good meal. I felt that they could have at least texted us that they were closed and given us to options in a text. We were very disappointed in how this was handled.

After dinner we walked by and found that they were still closed. I really wonder what the exact problem was because no one else in World Showcase had the same problem.

That's too bad but seems like it was something outside of their control. I don't know that they are equipped to send out cancellation texts and were probably playing things moment to moment. I wouldn't blame it on the restaurant necessarily just like I wouldn't blame a friend who was supposed to meet me for lunch but her car broke down. Things just happen sometimes!

Glad you found somewhere else to eat in a pinch and hopefully next time you'll be able to eat there!

Okay, you were disappointed. If I'm misunderstanding and you're upset five days later, you should consider writing (guessing you are home now) and letting Disney know of your disappointment and your texting recommendation.

I believe something like this happens SO infrequently that they don't see a need to create an alert procedure. I'm curious if you would have been less disappointed if you had arrived the recommended ten-ish minutes early, instead of rushing to get there on time?

eta: I wasn't there, but I would be willing to bet :teacher:that the exact problem is that they didn't have any gas to cook with. Even after you had eaten elsewhere.

Okay, you were disappointed. If I'm misunderstanding and you're upset five days later, you should consider writing (guessing you are home now) and letting Disney know of your disappointment and your texting recommendation.

I believe something like this happens SO infrequently that they don't see a need to create an alert procedure. I'm curious if you would have been less disappointed if you had arrived the recommended ten-ish minutes early, instead of rushing to get there on time?

eta: I wasn't there, but I would be willing to bet :teacher:that the exact problem is that they didn't have any gas to cook with. Even after you had eaten elsewhere.

I'm hoping that Disney sends me survey like they usually do. Also when I say I rushed to get there, I was earlier than the 10 minutes before my time. I always seem to rush to get to my ADR's on time but am usually early.

I also am wondering if there was another issue than no gas for cooking.

Hmm, what time were you there at? We had a reservation for the same day and they warned us that their grill wasn’t working so we couldn’t order any fish (I would totally have ordered fish) or anything with melted cheese. But the restaurant was open.

Honestly I wish we had cancelled. The food was not great at all. We love Mexican food but this was pretty generic and boring. The service was also pretty poor. You dodged a bullet.

Hmm, what time were you there at? We had a reservation for the same day and they warned us that their grill wasn’t working so we couldn’t order any fish (I would totally have ordered fish) or anything with melted cheese. But the restaurant was open.

Honestly I wish we had cancelled. The food was not great at all. We love Mexican food but this was pretty generic and boring. The service was also pretty poor. You dodged a bullet.
Our reservation was for 5 pm. Maybe the grill uses gas to cook? What time did you eat there?

Our reservation was for 5 pm. Maybe the grill uses gas to cook? What time did you eat there?
We were a bit later in the evening. Can’t remember exactly but I think 6.30 or 7.00.

OH had the pollo al pastor and I had the carnitas yucatecas. Both were lacking in texture and flavour. Even the kids were not into the chicken tenders and what kid doesn’t like chicken tenders :sad2: . The tortilla chips we were given to start were pretty good. They might have been the highlight of the meal unfortunately.

I had the empanada dessert. It was just fine. OH had the flan and liked that. The orange mango margarita was good

I'm hoping that Disney sends me survey like they usually do. Also when I say I rushed to get there, I was earlier than the 10 minutes before my time. I always seem to rush to get to my ADR's on time but am usually early.

I’m sure they aren’t too happy either ..I imagine it cost them a lot in lost business. I’ve actually never heard of that happening so as mentioned before it’s a rare occurrence. I understand why it bothers you, but at least it wasn’t California Grill.

I had the braised short rib there a couple of weeks ago and found it very tasty.

I'm sure any restaurant with a kitchen not working the way it should would have struggles.

My day (moment) of check in at the Poly (1pm), Captain Cooks, Trader Sams and Pinapple Lanai closed due to a water line break. Flooded the back area of the main building. Was down for the entire day/night.

Security and CMs were directing people around the area, but not telling anyone what was going on...just that they were temporarily closed and hoping too reopen soon. So many quests waited in the lobby for the reopen, which never happened that day. I read about what was going on, online!

They should have told guests the truth and probably have said they were closed for the day, instead of making them wait and think...maybe any second now. Obviously as soon as it happened, at best, it would be at least an hour or 2 before fixed and cleaned. But they just kept saying "Hopefully soon".

Image is you took your option 3 and it never reopened?

based on the small park I work at we use propane as the cooking gas twice in 2 seasons one of our stands have run out of propane. first time department mangers thought if was a problem with stove not that we were out of gas. tool 45 minutes for repair man to get there then another 30 minutes to get gas truck there to fill tank. plus how would they text you do they get your number with your name or just your name? do you really want that many people having your phone number

Odd things happen sometimes. They wouldn't want to cancel all their reservations if they thought it would be fixed in short amount of time. None of us know the steps to even make that happen. I really think you should just give them a pass.

plus how would they text you do they get your number with your name or just your name? do you really want that many people having your phone number
I’ve wondered about that too. It’s not Disney owned or operated so how would they have a number to send a text to. That’s not really something one can get upset about. And they offered the only 3 options they could give. Can’t see that the restaurant mishandled this at all.

I agree with OP. They should have provided a text notification that the restaurant wasn't open. If we don't provide notice and fail to show up, we're out the deposit. They've got your contact info; they should be held accountable for the time they wasted by not notifying the guest as they clearly knew about the issue for at least 1/2 an hour ahead of time. The restaurant can't really be faulted for the problem itself (stuff happens), but they can be faulted for how they handled it.

I agree with OP. They should have provided a text notification that the restaurant wasn't open. If we don't provide notice and fail to show up, we're out the deposit. They've got your contact info; they should be held accountable for the time they wasted by not notifying the guest as they clearly knew about the issue for at least 1/2 an hour ahead of time. The restaurant can't really be faulted for the problem itself (stuff happens), but they can be faulted for how they handled it.
they have your name and how many in your party. do you really want that many people having access to your phone number? I wouldn't not like a local place where there are local people a lot f the CMs esp at EPCOT are from other countries I wouldn't want my phone number out like that at a theme park

I believe @Polydweller is correct in that this non-Disney-owned location would not have access to diners' contact information. Clearly Disney itself is not set up to notify diners of sudden, short-term closures - they don't have the staffing or procedure to. The restaurant surely doesn't.

Agreed. When I have checked into a location that will text when your table is ready, I have always been asked for my cell number. Even at Disney owned places. So I do not think the restaurant has the phone information.

The restaurant was open though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter