Smoking concerns

There is only one place on the ship where smoking is allowed. That said, people often smoke on their verandahs. I would report it if you smell it and see if security has any luck finding the offender, because it is a serious safety issue. If I recall correctly, there has been at least one serious fire on another line from someone smoking on their verandah on a cruise.

princessfire.jpg

It was a PRINCESS ship. The cause was never determined with certainty but a cig' tossed from a balcony and landing on another was the highly suspected cause and resulted in a number of SOLAS changes about sprinkler coverage and combustibles on balconies . . . and where you could smoke . . .

There is only one place on the ship where smoking is allowed. That said, people often smoke on their verandahs. I would report it if you smell it and see if security has any luck finding the offender, because it is a serious safety issue. If I recall correctly, there has been at least one serious fire on another line from someone smoking on their verandah on a cruise.

View attachment 816197

It was a PRINCESS ship. The cause was never determined with certainty but a cig' tossed from a balcony and landing on another was the highly suspected cause and resulted in a number of SOLAS changes about sprinkler coverage and combustibles on balconies . . . and where you could smoke . . .

Yes - that is the ship I was thinking of. Even if they aren't certain of the cause, keeping fire sources off of balconies seems like a good idea. Thanks for posing.

This is a great summary of the incident: https://emmacruises.com/star-princess-fire-2006/

View attachment 816197

Someone posted a video about this in the other thread about smoking on cruise ships. It was super informative but also a bit scary to watch (it wasn't a video of the incident itself, just one recounting it after the fact). I can see why most cruise lines banned smoking on verandahs after that (and also made changes to the types of materials used in balconies). Kudos though to Princess, from the video I watched it sound like they handled it very well (or at least best they could given the circumstances).

Smoking indoors, and folks walking while smoking outdoors constantly is why we will not sail with Royal again.

That said the only place I have had an issue with it on DCL is the decks where the smoking sections are located, with it being so concentrated it is just a space we avoid all together for the duration of the cruise. Hearing folks concerns about cruising out of San Juan and cultural differences with smoking, I am crossing my fingers we don't have issues with it in April.
This is our next departure port as well - I will be interested to see if the cultural differences I’ve been reading about on the boards lately are very noticeable on this sailing (we’re doing the May repositioning from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale). I can roll with most things, I’m just hoping to enjoy our first veranda room without yucky smoke!

This is our next departure port as well - I will be interested to see if the cultural differences I’ve been reading about on the boards lately are very noticeable on this sailing (we’re doing the May repositioning from San Juan to Ft. Lauderdale). I can roll with most things, I’m just hoping to enjoy our first veranda room without yucky smoke!
I didn’t notice more smoking when we did our Celebrity cruise in 2018 out of Puerto Rico.

We were just on the Wonder for the 13 night transpacific and used our veranda a lot. We had no issue with smokers on the veranda, the smoking section on deck 9 is at the back of the Cove area. It does have barriers around it but it is not fully enclosed. At certain times of the day, the smell of smoke was a problem on one side of the pool, depending on the wind.

I can understand being bothered by smoke directly blowing in your face, but why does simply “smelling smoke” at all bother so many people on here? I’m not a smoker, but I would not complain about someone or have my trip/verandah use ruined because I “smelled smoke” lol. If your dainty noses are so sensitive don’t ever visit Europe (or most of the world for that matter)

I can understand being bothered by smoke directly blowing in your face, but why does simply “smelling smoke” at all bother so many people on here? I’m not a smoker, but I would not complain about someone or have my trip/verandah use ruined because I “smelled smoke” lol. If your dainty noses are so sensitive don’t ever visit Europe (or most of the world for that matter)
Two reasons.

1. It's disgusting.
2. It bothers my allergies and makes me sneeze a lot.

Others have breathing troubles, even from second-hand smoke.

I have visited Europe several times. In fact, just in July. It has improved massively. I can usually walk away from it there. There is something in cigarette smoke that I am allergic to, it’s that simple. Do you get angry at and blame people who have asthma🤷‍♀️ It’s a medical condition, just like my being allergic to codeine and not being allowed to take pain killers for most surgical procedures. I just suck it up, If smoking was still allowed, I would complain to my family but not to the world. Until bars became smoke free where I live, I didn’t go to them or see live music. If I can avoid it, I do. I’ve been like this since I was a kid. Also, if you can smell it, that means the second hand smoke chemicals are getting into your nostrils and lungs. It’s not just a scent; it’s hazardous, cancer causing chemicals.

Two reasons.

1. It's disgusting.
2. It bothers my allergies and makes me sneeze a lot.

Others have breathing troubles, even from second-hand smoke.
Lol. Simply smelling smoke doesn’t trigger allergies. I live in a state where marijuana is legal and I smell it all the time, everywhere. I’m not getting high or having an ill effects from simply smelling it. There’s a difference between smoke blowing in your face, which would affect breathing and allergies, and simply smelling it from someone outside, not right next to you. Common sense. Way too many people way too quick to complain about other people.

I have visited Europe several times. In fact, just in July. It has improved massively. I can usually walk away from it there. There is something in cigarette smoke that I am allergic to, it’s that simple. Do you get angry at and blame people who have asthma🤷‍♀️ It’s a medical condition, just like my being allergic to codeine and not being allowed to take pain killers for most surgical procedures. I just suck it up, If smoking was still allowed, I would complain to my family but not to the world. Until bars became smoke free where I live, I didn’t go to them or see live music. If I can avoid it, I do. I’ve been like this since I was a kid. Also, if you can smell it, that means the second hand smoke chemicals are getting into your nostrils and lungs. It’s not just a scent; it’s hazardous, cancer causing chemicals.
I smell marijuana every single day. It’s legal here snd it’s everywhere. I don’t get high from smelling it because simply smelling something isn’t enough to affect you. I’m a nurse practitioner and I obviously agree second hand smoke is terrible but simply smelling smoke, outside, isn’t that big of a deal. If it’s blowing in your face, yes. I just think this culture of snitching on and complaining about things that aren’t really a huge deal is ridiculous.

Because it does. It's great that it doesn't bother you, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people. Everyone has a slightly different sense of smell, and everyone has smells they are averse to. To me, cigarette smoke is not a pleasant smell and it is distracting/off-putting. I also think you're hyperbolizing a bit, I don't think anyone said their trip was "ruined" because they smelled someone else smoking out on their verandah.

There is a lot of literature on second hand smoke. It would take too much room and time to recount here.
Simply put any odor in the air is actually real chemical molecules you are inhaling from the original source. If you think about that it's pretty disgusting what you are taking into your lungs from other people who emit odors. I think that's one good reason why it bothers some.
It also bothers some because of asthma which is different from an allergy. Taking in certain molecules of a substance can trigger an asthma attack. An asthma attack can be life threatening. a verandah and other locations on DCL are places that are suppose to be secure and safe.
But personally I agree it's not going to ruin my cruise or trip. I let it pass and continue on.

Lol. Simply smelling smoke doesn’t trigger allergies. I live in a state where marijuana is legal and I smell it all the time, everywhere. I’m not getting high or having an ill effects from simply smelling it. There’s a difference between smoke blowing in your face, which would affect breathing and allergies, and simply smelling it from someone outside, not right next to you. Common sense. Way too many people way too quick to complain about other people.
You are literally complaining about other people right now - how does other people being bothered by something impact you? I find it intensely unpleasant - would I just say "Oh I can smell a distinct strong poop smell on my veranda but it's not directly harmful to me right now so I guess I'll just suck it up"? Nah - that would freaking suck. Cigarette smoke is as unpleasant to me, and it DOES have health impacts for others. It's also against the rules, and if another person breaking the rules directly impacts my experience that I paid a lot of money for, yeah, I'm going to "snitch."

You obviously don't understand how smell works. It's not magic. If you can smell something, that particles of that something are in your nose. It's that simple.

But hey, I'll tell my nose to just not sneeze next time. I'm sure that it's just being a silly nose and sneezing for no good reason.

You obviously don't understand how smell works. It's not magic. If you can smell something, that particles of that something are in your nose. It's that simple.

But hey, I'll tell my nose to just not sneeze next time. I'm sure that it's just being a silly nose and sneezing for no good reason.
There is actually a condition called non-allergic rhinitis. My allergy doctor and I have it. He calls it "sensitive nose" :rotfl2: Unfortunately, the best you can do for it is possibly allergy medications, steroid nasal sprays, and neti pots/nasal wash. There really is no medication specifically for it. The others just might help. I guess we are just a bunch of snowflakes:sad2: I also thought medical professionals had to take physics; I guess I'm wrong.

Because I don't like it. It smells nasty and I don't want to smell it. Why are you putting people down who have a different reaction than you?

Who said their trip was ruined? You are arguing against a strawman.

It's simple preference. I would prefer not to smell something I dislike so someone else can satisfy their own needs by breaking the rules and putting the ship at heightened risk of fire. It doesn't mean I can't, and haven't, enjoyed places like Europe. It just means I would prefer people followed the rules so I can smell the fresh sea air on my verandah.

Unfortunately, many smokers have shown they can't follow the rules on DCL, and may end up ruining it for the smokers who do (see the Disney parks).

It isn't much different than my preference that someone doesn't eat egg salad on a plane, but at least there, the rude person isn't violating any rules and isn't putting other passengers at risk.

Last edited:
We’ve experienced it but can’t remember if RCL or Disney. One was cigar smoking so quite strong. I want to say we reported it the first cruise it happened on and nothing was done. Had to go out when the folks smoking weren’t there.

To me a worse experience was most recent Carnival cruise as hot tubs were below our balcony and the first night teens were in it well past curfew screaming at the top of their lungs for hours. Not words just screams. Second night they gathered for an encore performance and were shut down by security very quickly.

Or on Royal where we splurged and had a room with a doorbell and some drunk lady thought it was fun around 2 am to ring it a bunch of times. She ran quick when I answered with choice words, and the next day the room attendant disabled it.

I would think it easy for the ship security to know who is smoking on balconies as there are cameras pointed down the sides of the ships but maybe the resolution is poor.

Last edited:
I'm just curious, how much of an issue is this? (people smoking on their verandas) I know any responses will be anecdotal, but I'm curious what experiences people have had.
I've sailed 6 DCL cruises with a verandah on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy in the past several years, with the verandah always in a different place, and have never smelled smoke from my verandah.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter