Skipper Canteen

The cheese bread appetizer was amazing but we had to send back both chicken entrees because the breading came off in the fryer and the chicken became tough. Came back out the second time and the same issue. Sawing through fried chicken with a butter knife and gnawing on it like a tough steak was not fun. A manager came over and said they would take care of it. They ended up taking the cheese bread off the bill which was the only thing we enjoyed....

This was just this past week.
Not seeing it listed on website menu. That menu is make it or break it so if they have improved it be nice if they posted it.

Skipper is our favorite restaurant at MK. We always eat there at least once per trip. If you have time, check out the titles of the books on the shelves.
Best part of the restaurant. Those two rooms and hallway have some fun things to explore.

We always request one of the side rooms because we don’t enjoy the frenetic nature of the main dining hall but that is our personal issue since it does, after all, have “Canteen” in its name, lol.

The menu has slowly gotten dumbed down over the years which is sad for my family, curry and spicy food lovers every one of us. It used to be the only place we loved in MK. We still go - will be eating there next week actually - but we are just as likely to leave MK for lunch at a monorail resort. We have been enjoying Liberty Tree Tavern recently too.

Not seeing it listed on website menu. That menu is make it or break it so if they have improved it be nice if they posted it.

Best part of the restaurant. Those two rooms and hallway have some fun things to explore.

The Brazilian cheese bread is on the “secret” menu and has been for years. Sometimes servers will mention it, sometimes not. They should just add it to the main menu.

The Brazilian cheese bread is on the “secret” menu and has been for years. Sometimes servers will mention it, sometimes not. They should just add it to the main menu.
Seriously what is the point of a secret menu? :rolleyes: It honestly just makes me mad and more reason not to go back.

Seriously what is the point of a secret menu? :rolleyes: It honestly just makes me mad and more reason not to go back.

I guess the point is to make insiders feel super special and insider-y? I think all secret menus are silly, truly. Although I do love an In n Out Animal Style!

We love Skipper Canteen also, it's a must-do for us at least once a trip and sometimes we go twice since it's the only TS we really like in MK. I do wish they had stuck with some spicy or more "adventurous" dishes on the menu, but what we really appreciate are all of the gluten-free and dairy-free dishes. My son loves the monkey banana bites on the kids' menu.

Thought I saw some folks eating it and didn’t see it on the menu. Thought I was going nuts.

It’s probably the same Brazilian cheese bread we tried at food and wine.

We think it's ok, one of the best things about it is we can get a sit down meal in the MK with a short wait without an ADR.

Lately, when we want lunch and are at MK, we'll leave and go to Steakhouse 71 or GF Cafe.

On sunday I ate at Casey's Corner for the first time in about a decade and yup, still terrible. My family likes to do Kona Cafe as a break.
Kona is a good choice. We’re big Geyser Point fans or P&Js for a quick break from MK.

That eats such a large chunk of your park time though. Those of us who only visit once a year (or once a decade) don’t always want to sacrifice park time in transit to and from dining.
Literally 1:30-2hrs tops to take a boat over to the lodge or a spot on the monorail loop to eat.

The only MK restaurant that we like is Skipper Canteen and we quite enjoy it. We love the theming as no matter where we sit there is something fun and interesting to look at. The servers are fun with their corny jokes and puns. We also really, really enjoy the more "adventurous" (for Disney anyway) food. I can't think of a single thing we've had there that we didn't enjoy. We average around 3 trips a year to WDW and eat at Skipper's probably 2 out of 3 times.

I'm not sure it's that unnoticed though. It gets a lot of love from places like DFB and the rest of the Disney - verse. It may not be that popular with your average theme park guest due to the menu, but that's fine with me! It makes it pretty easy to snag a reservation :) .

That said - if the menu is scaring you off, as others have mentioned leaving MK and heading to a resort for a meal is a great option and one that we do a lot as well. There are lots of great choices on the monorail line, and it's pretty easy to get to WL on the boat.

The only MK restaurant that we like is Skipper Canteen and we quite enjoy it. We love the theming as no matter where we sit there is something fun and interesting to look at. The servers are fun with their corny jokes and puns. We also really, really enjoy the more "adventurous" (for Disney anyway) food. I can't think of a single thing we've had there that we didn't enjoy. We average around 3 trips a year to WDW and eat at Skipper's probably 2 out of 3 times.

I'm not sure it's that unnoticed though. It gets a lot of love from places like DFB and the rest of the Disney - verse. It may not be that popular with your average theme park guest due to the menu, but that's fine with me! It makes it pretty easy to snag a reservation :) .

That said - if the menu is scaring you off, as others have mentioned leaving MK and heading to a resort for a meal is a great option and one that we do a lot as well. There are lots of great choices on the monorail line, and it's pretty easy to get to WL on the boat.
That was the draw for us. It’s different than what you normally see in a theme park restaurant.

Absolutely love it here. Haven't had a bad experience in all these years there. It's the ambience that makes it. Most DW theme park food wouldn't hold a candle to even some strip mall restaurants. 90% of the reason to eat on property is theming and ambience and location. Skipper Canteen checks these boxes. And the food is very good if that's your taste.

Loved all the spice pre-Covid but the last several times it seems like more salt than anything else. We usually go once per trip, as it is the least offensive place in MK. We did actually start revisiting and enjoying The Plaza, though.

This used to be one of our WDW faves. Our last ADR there, we didn’t even think to check the menu for changes. We were super bummed that they removed the Perkin’s noodles. ☹️ Dan Dan’s weren’t so great, so we haven’t been back since. Also sad they removed the whole fish. 👎🏼

Loved all the spice pre-Covid but the last several times it seems like more salt than anything else. We usually go once per trip, as it is the least offensive place in MK. We did actually start revisiting and enjoying The Plaza, though.
Yes, all our dishes were noticeably salty this past April. They were fine in July though.

It was our (well, DH and I) favorite meal on our last trip! It was cool and quiet and so well prepared, and our skipper was adorable and engaging. I didn't think we'd be able to ever try it as my oldest is a vegetarian and picky, but once we realized she could order the cheese bread, the other two kids were happy to try some foods they weren't 100% sure about and really enjoyed them! DH was so pleased with the whole experience (and dining in MK can be a challenge!!)

We really like Skipper Canteen. We're both vegan, and there's a nice selection of items to choose from. I usually get the falafel and a couple of side dishes of veggies.

We don't really like the big room, so now we just ask to be seated in one of the smaller rooms and tell the people checking us in that we're willing to wait. It's never been a problem. In fact, once we got the butterfly table, even though we didn't ask for it and in fact didn't know about it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter