• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sit Down lunch Embarkation Day

About how long does lunch take in the sit down restaurant? Trying to decide between the sit down and the Cabana's. My wife is worried the sit down will take too much time from exploring the ship with the kids. Its our first cruise with the kids, but the second for my wife and I. So we can't decide!
With kids I would probably do Cabanas. We are in concierge so we do the concierge lunch and it is a bit of a longer lunch than Cabanas but we just make my kids sit through it. :)

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to do the sit down no matter what this time. I found cabanas far too stressful the last time. We had an impossible time finding a seat (just for the two of us) and ended up with a family sitting at the tables on either side of us reaching across our table during their meal. So I appreciate the help!

Where is conceirge lunch if on smaller boats?

That’s true on the smaller ship, but the atrium restaurant on Dream and Fantasy is reserved for the Concierge Embarkation lunch. Embarkation lunch is in AP, while EG is usually reserved for the dining assignment changes.

We vastly prefer the sit down lunch. Our first cruise we went to Cabanas to meet friends. It was so chaotic. Very difficult to find a seat. This was excaberated by the cold, wet weather that day so perhaps it would be better if more people could eat outside.

The next cruise our family did the sit down lunch and loved it. IMO, it felt much more special and way more enjoyable. Our three kids (ages 5-8 at the time) didn't have issues with the duration. It seemed regular restaurant duration vs. the longer dinners and we were seated immediately. We didn't order dessert, but the kids would have happily stayed the extra time if we had said yes to it. It was such a calmer, more luxurious experience than Cabanas.

Full disclosure though...we are just not big buffet fans. Our kids like them, but we would much rather sit down and be served rather than keep hopping up for us or the kids. So...unless it's something special like a WDW character meal at a buffet restaurant (e.g. Tusker House, etc.), we're just not fans of buffets. We'd rather grab quick bites on the DCL pool deck than go to Cabanas, so families that are bigger Cabanas fans might feel quite differently.

We were a party of 8 last DCL cruise. IMPOSSIBLE to find seats at Cabanas together or apart. We literally had to pull a "Is this seat taken?" from 3 tables to complete seating for our party. Next time, MDR embarkation lunch all the way.

When we did our first DCL cruise on Dream last July, we took some advice and opted for sit down lunch in AP to avoid Cabanas. Although it was much less chaotic, I was surprised at the limited options on the menu. When we go in April, we're going to give Cabanas a shot for embarkation lunch.

If you're not one of the first folks on the ship, Cabanas is really hectic.

We've opted to do sit down our past 3 cruises and will continue doing that forward.

We find it a nice way to start a cruise in a relaxed atmosphere. After lunch rooms are ready so we can drop off any carry on luggage we have and go explore the ship.

Either option sit down or Cabanas you're still on the ship so it's all good.

Cheers!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter