Single shamed at Space 220

LOL, I was seated one table away from this "humiliating" table, in the next two-top off the walkway. I was thrilled and thought it was the best seat in the house. You could see everything, and it's right next to a bunch of "restaurant" tables. I guess you can't please everyone.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where the OP said the table was humiliating. They just posted that they were seated by the bar/entrance in the lounge rather than in the restaurant. They then had a negative interaction with the manager when expressing their disappointment.

I think the OP has every right to be disappointed if they had a reservation in the restaurant. We booked the lounge as we just wanted to check it out but we would’ve wanted to be closer if we were doing a full meal.

Last edited:
LOL, I was seated one table away from this "humiliating" table, in the next two-top off the walkway. I was thrilled and thought it was the best seat in the house. You could see everything, and it's right next to a bunch of "restaurant" tables. I guess you can't please everyone.
Again, read what I wrote. The humiliation came from the way the night manager treated me for making a complaint. Please tell me you wouldn’t make a stink if you went shopping for anything and then the result was being given something or the service that was nowhere what you ordered/ you were treated like garbage

I think some people are getting lost in the seating location and whether it is good or bad. I think the real issue here is that the guest had a specific request, was offered something different and declined, was presumably to have the request honored, then it wasn't really, and when it was brought up with a manager the manager had a bad attitude about it.

I think some people are getting lost in the seating location and whether it is good or bad. I think the real issue here is that the guest had a specific request, was offered something different and declined, was presumably to have the request honored, then it wasn't really, and when it was brought up with a manager the manager had a bad attitude about it.
Thank you. Yes. Exactly. Like I said

I'm not sure if I think my take away from all this is don't call in reservations. Just use the system. I keep wondering if the issue would have still happened. No way to know, of course, but it makes me never want to call in, just in case. Side note, I'm shocked you got through on the phone!

I'm not sure if I think my take away from all this is don't call in reservations. Just use the system. I keep wondering if the issue would have still happened. No way to know, of course, but it makes me never want to call in, just in case. Side note, I'm shocked you got through on the phone!
Interestingly, The phone reservation was only partly used and it was a breeze. I did some of the reservations over the computer and some over the phone. When I called, they were able to find reservations that I could book that were hidden on the computer. In addition, when I booked for Brown Derby, and wanted to modify it so I could get the Fantasmic package, they were able to change it with no fuss. They did a first rate job.

Last edited:
Interestingly, The phone reservation was only partly used and it was a breeze. I did some of the reservations over the computer and some over the phone. When I called, they were able to find reservations that I could book that were hidden on the computer. In addition, when I booked for Brown Derby, and wanted to modify it so I could get the Fantasmic package, they were able to change it with no fuss. They did a first rate job.

Having seen the photos (I didn’t check out the place in detail when I was there hosting a group) and the OP’s further comments, I have to walk back my comments a bit. The lounge area does seem comparable to many of the dining room tables. It’s all about how OP was treated in a not very hospitable way. That is very disappointing.

Thankfully in my experience this is also quite unusual at WDW. When on solo trips, I don’t go to sit down restaurants much any more because I generally find it easier to have dinner in my DVC unit. But when I have done sit-down restaurants, I have found cast members to be nothing but gracious. I even ate once at Victoria & Albert’s by myself, was treated splendidly and had a great time.

On my last WDW trip, I actually had a solo reservation for Space 220 after my friends and family had left but didn’t use it. Next time, I will be sure to try it out because it would be nice to order a la carte and not be forced into the prix fixe. I didn’t mind the prix fixe at all for my special group event but as a solo that would almost always be too much. I hope I have a better experience than OP!

Having seen the photos (I didn’t check out the place in detail when I was there hosting a group) and the OP’s further comments, I have to walk back my comments a bit. The lounge area does seem comparable to many of the dining room tables. It’s all about how OP was treated in a not very hospitable way. That is very disappointing.

Thankfully in my experience this is also quite unusual at WDW. When on solo trips, I don’t go to sit down restaurants much any more because I generally find it easier to have dinner in my DVC unit. But when I have done sit-down restaurants, I have found cast members to be nothing but gracious. I even ate once at Victoria & Albert’s by myself, was treated splendidly and had a great time.

On my last WDW trip, I actually had a solo reservation for Space 220 after my friends and family had left but didn’t use it. Next time, I will be sure to try it out because it would be nice to order a la carte and not be forced into the prix fixe. I didn’t mind the prix fixe at all for my special group event but as a solo that would almost always be too much. I hope I have a better experience than OP!
To order a la carte you would need to be in Lounge or at the Bar.

This brings to thought - OP had a restaurant reservation but was sat in the Lounge. They then SHOULD have been given the option to order off the Lounge menu and not forced to order prix fixe.

To order a la carte you would need to be in Lounge or at the Bar.

This brings to thought - OP had a restaurant reservation but was sat in the Lounge. They then SHOULD have been given the option to order off the Lounge menu and not forced to order prix fixe.
The OP said she wanted to order fron the prix fixe menu. I'm sure almost all the special requests are the opposite, a la carte instead of price fixed.

The OP said she wanted to order fron the prix fixe menu. I'm sure almost all the special requests are the opposite, a la carte instead of price fixed.
I know OP wanted that.

I was just presenting that if they sat someone in the Lounge even though they booked the Restaurant, the Lounge menu should be an option. All the folks trying to get Lounge for the menu but being stuck in the Restaurant might be happy with the result OP had.

I will finish my take with this:

It may be always completely booked when you went but it was not for when I went. It was around 440 pm. It was 85 % capacity. There was NOT a line out the door for bar seats

I did not want to “pick my table” but when you make a reservation, which I did, you make it clear to the reservation agent ( I did NOT book the reservation online or on my phone. I dealt with a human being. I did not do a walk up which would have been a different story. I made it perfectly clear that I wanted to sit in the restaurant, not the lounge when I made the reservation.

My trip was a special occasion. So, ya, I am going to be upset when things don't go great. I know there are complications but the manger made me embarrassed for raising the complaint. If you go on a dinner with your partner and order a glass of wine, do you not say something when they bring you a beer instead. Like I said, for the night manager and his attitude and his making me feel like i was in the wrong saying, well, they are both alcohol. but you wanted something else or would you just say nothing and drink that instead. Like I said, I am sure most people would point that out
Here's the thing that I think people are trying to communicate - being at 100% capacity is not the same as every table being utilized. So, you may have seen empty tables - that doesn't mean it's less than 100% capacity (which is true for every single restaurant).

Again, read what I wrote. The humiliation came from the way the night manager treated me for making a complaint. Please tell me you wouldn’t make a stink if you went shopping for anything and then the result was being given something or the service that was nowhere what you ordered/ you were treated like garbage
One last thing - "being treated like garbage" sounds like someone called you names or laughed at you. Assuming your recounting of the conversation is accurate, it may not have been exceedingly good customer service but in no way were you treated like garbage. On the other hand, the way you're presenting here can lead some to wonder about the things to which you feel entitled - and that's okay as some people have those feelings. It stinks that your experience wasn't optimal.

You ask if others wouldn't complain about such and such and tbh, if something is made wrong, I'll speak up but I've worked in enough restaurants to know that there are lots of factors at play in assigning tables and unless there's something very specifically wrong, I would not let it bother me so much. I also don't sit at bars when eating and I'm always clear with the person at the host stand that I'm more than happy to wait for a table. I also realize that my taking up a table in that area comes at a cost to the server who might be expecting a larger party and therefore larger gratuity. For instance, I just took my kids for a very special dessert at a restaurant used to serving expensive meals - I made sure the server (a) received an amount close(r) to what they would've otherwise received and (b) we did our thing relatively speedily so they could turn the table and not miss out too much.

This thread reminds me of a discussion from a couple of years ago. A guest was convinced people avoided her like the plague because she was a solo traveller. There was plenty of space to wait in line for the buses, so people didn't need to huddle and kept their distance. But the guest perceived this as a great insult and it had to be because she was a solo traveller.

I also realize that my taking up a table in that area comes at a cost to the server who might be expecting a larger party
That would be an assumption that people of larger parties would 1) order more in cost of food 2) would be pre-disposed to tipping a larger amount just on the basis of more people.

It would be wise to not assume these two factors if you're in the service industry as you could find yourself mistakenly treating the lower number of party less. And a good server does not distinguish between large or small parties.

This thread reminds me of a discussion from a couple of years ago. A guest was convinced people avoided her like the plague because she was a solo traveller. There was plenty of space to wait in line for the buses, so people didn't need to huddle and kept their distance. But the guest perceived this as a great insult and it had to be because she was a solo traveller.
Wow, I would be very happy to not have people all crushed in to me no matter what their reason. This sounds more like a personal issue the poster had ~ and there are a variety of reasons that would fit ~ and they deflected it on to the other guests.

Yeah, there is nothing to support the solo shame theory unless there is a direct comment to insult someone being alone. In this case (Space 220) I think being solo did lead to being seating in the Lounge where tables are smaller. Was that a good customer service choice when OP did not agree to it, no, but I don't think it had anything to do with solo shaming.

That would be an assumption that people of larger parties would 1) order more in cost of food 2) would be pre-disposed to tipping a larger amount just on the basis of more people.

It would be wise to not assume these two factors if you're in the service industry as you could find yourself mistakenly treating the lower number of party less. And a good server does not distinguish between large or small parties.
If you have a party of six or more, there is normally an automatic gratuity added on. I just got back from a solo trip at WDW/Universal. The service was hit or miss at some places. I had a great time at Chef de France in a previous trip w my friend. This time I had to flag my waiter for a drink refill by the larger party right next to me got plenty of attention from the waiter.

I certainly hope that as you walked out, the deserving customers didn't yell shame and throw food scraps and feces at you GOT style

If you have a party of six or more, there is normally an automatic gratuity added on. I just got back from a solo trip at WDW/Universal. The service was hit or miss at some places. I had a great time at Chef de France in a previous trip w my friend. This time I had to flag my waiter for a drink refill by the larger party right next to me got plenty of attention from the waiter.
True but that gratuity is what 18%? So you wouldn't want to be the server who assumes that party of two isn't ordering more pricey food overall and then isn't tipping more than that automatic.

You sharing kinda pinpoints what I mean as best that someone can you want to approach every table the same. You don't want to get into a habit of a server presuming something about you based on the number of people in your party.

Hi all. Let me start off with saying I am not against eating at a lounge/bar. My last night at Disney I had a reservation at space 220. Due to the theming of the restaurant I wanted to sit in in the restaurant. When I arrived, the hostess asked if I would be ok sitting at the bar. I politely declined and asked to sit in the restaurant. 20 minutes later she motioned for me to come. I asked her if my table was in the restaurant, and not in the lounge, to which she said yes. When I was shown my table it was as close to the bar as you could get. I tried to temper my mood. My server was good and so was the food. However, it gnawed at me and I asked to speak to the night manager who was more offended at me for daring to speak out. He was incredulous and tried telling me that his friends ate at the lounge a couple days ago at the bar with no complaints and that I shouldn’t complain. I’m sorry, but if I made a reservation at a particular restaurant and wanted an experience, I shouldn’t be guilt tripped to being shunned. I did get a discount but it was begrudgingly. I almost walked out but then I’d lose my deposit for the reservation.
I work in guest services as a theatre manager, so I am not offended that they put you in the restaurant, but close to the bar. Nor am I offended that they tried to put you at the bar. Nor am I of the opinion that they were shaming you for dining alone. What DOES offend me -- and quite a lot -- is the idea that they would object to your objection, that they would tell you “This worked for my friends, so you should keep your yap shut". That's like saying "put on a sweater cuz I'm cold."

I am absolutely NOT of the opinion that “the customer is always right” because more than half the time they’re not [because they’re asking for things that are either against fire codes or dangerous/rude to others or above the ticket price they paid.] But, when a guest says, “I feel as if I were treated poorly simply because I’m dining alone and I have a right to experience the restaurant as much as any other party of guests,” the PROPER answer is, “I’m so sorry that you had an unpleasant experience. We certainly are not judging any guest for dining alone. Due to the layout of the restaurant, it is more efficient to put solo diners at the bar, but you should not have been made to feel as if you were asking for something inappropriate.” And then he should have gotten your bill & given you a 10% discount or taken your dessert or wine or whatever off the bill.

I hope you told Disney and not just us here on the boards. We can provide support and reinforcement but only Disney can correct the behavior of its staff.

Actually, the reason parties of 6 or more usually have an 18% gratuity added to their bill is because they are NOT predisposed to tip more generously. Large parties, especially if they are splitting the bill w/o getting separate checks, are notoriously bad tippers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter