Single shamed at Space 220

This is the picture I was looking at, but upon closer examination, that may be a mirror?

space-220-42-800x533.jpg
That's above the actual physical bar not the lounge seating.

I can understand not liking how the manager responded to your complaint. But calling it “single shaming” is a pretty large leap. Esp considering at no time did they mention you being alone. If they’d have said “since you’re single we’re going to sit you here and if you don’t like it, too bad” then sure, call it single shaming. That’s not what this was

Sorry i didn't put that in my original post. I believe when I spoke to the night manager , I mentioned that I don't know if the reason i was placed there was due to that. He didn't explicitly say if that was the reason but i could sense it was. At any rate, my experience was not one I had hoped for and like other posters have said, I will learn from this experience and move on

OP made a reservation for a certain table type.

That reservation was not honored because they were single.

That is not OK. Period.
Not a restaurant, but I had a CM give me an eye roll when they were still loading the A section on Soarin and I asked to go to B as a single rider. (I had used the regular line). No one had been loaded on B yet so I wouldn’t have to wait for the next flight.

My guess is that she had one seat in a row that she needed filled, and somehow I was expected to sit at the edge of the theater with the worst view because I was single even though I had waited in line with everyone else. No, thank you.

I had a similar experience at CA Grill and at Shula's in November. I ended up having the best meal and service at CA Grill but the hosts kept trying to get me to sit at the bar. No, sorry, I spent a lot of time trying to get this reservation.

At Shula's they basically ignored me the whole time, didn't time service at all (got my main as I took 1 bite of starter). I'll never go back there.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that, especially somewhere like Disney. We all pay so much to be there so we should be entitled to the type of dining experience we book/pay for.

I still don't understand how you were "treated like garbage" or "humiliated" or "shamed." That's a lot of emotional reaction to getting the restaurant you wanted and the food you wanted at the time you wanted. You don't get to pick your table in any restaurant, especially not one always at 100% capacity. This sounds completely unreasonable.

I honestly don't understand what the problem even was here. It sounds like they offered you a seat at the bar you didn't want, and didn't take, which you found offensive? I don't understand what reaction you are expecting from Disney or from us?

I could not disagree more. There is a difference between being seated in the dining room and the bar/lounge area in any fine dining restaurant. The OP reserved the dining room but the reservation was not honored. That was totally inappropriate.

I often do solo trips to DL and WDW. When at DL, I usually have dinner at least once at Napa Rose at the bar or at a lounge table. The latter is harder now because they have converted some of the lounge tables to dining room tables (I will hold my tongue on that). I enjoy the more informal atmosphere and the ability to pop in without a reservation. By contrast, recently I had a reservation for one in the Napa Rose dining room, was seated there and enjoyed it immensely. A different experience than the bar/lounge, as is typical in a higher end restaurant.

Last edited:
That's above the actual physical bar not the lounge seating.

Based on the photograph, and my experience dining at Space 220 recently with a large group of family and friends, the lounge tables look smaller and not the same as those in the dining room. That is to be expected and supports the OP’s justified complaint.

Incidentally, we had a wonderful experience at Space 220 (both food and service), and it’s too bad the OP had such a negative experience. We were lucky to get a prime table near the windows so again I can see the validity of OP’s complaint.

Wait - multiple people have said there are tables in the restaurant (which is what was booked) that are physically next to lounge tables.

The OP was seated at one of these tables. They reserved the restaurant, and got a restaurant table.

It’s true at many, if not most, of WDWs restaurants that the 2-top tables are in the worst locations.

While what the night manager said was uncalled for (if the paraphrase is accurate to the actual exchange) I am not seeing how anyone was “lied to.”

A table that accommodates one person was booked in the restaurant. The patron was seated at a table that accommodated one person in the restaurant. Where is everyone getting that s/he was seated in the lounge?

Wait - multiple people have said there are tables in the restaurant (which is what was booked) that are physically next to lounge tables.

The OP was seated at one of these tables. They reserved the restaurant, and got a restaurant table.

It’s true at many, if not most, of WDWs restaurants that the 2-top tables are in the worst locations.

While what the night manager said was uncalled for (if the paraphrase is accurate to the actual exchange) I am not seeing how anyone was “lied to.”

A table that accommodates one person was booked in the restaurant. The patron was seated at a table that accommodated one person in the restaurant. Where is everyone getting that s/he was seated in the lounge?
Because the lounge is technically right by the restaurant space in terms of physical distance. It used to be when it first opened only the restaurant (with the fixe prix menu) could be booked and the lounge/bar (with a la carte menu) as first come first serve. Then they made the lounge a separate bookable ADR. I believe bar is walk ups. This probably confuses people because they hear restaurant and think well yeah OP was sat in the restaurant but it's not quite how the place is set up. While I don't know for sure I would hope the booking software accounts for the tables in the lounge, accounts for the tables in the restaurant portion when it comes to slots available to book.

No one is just sat at a table that accommodates one as that doesn't exist except for the bar which is likely why the hostess asked about that first.

I’m sorry that you felt like you weren’t treated fairy. I hope that my experience might help you see the upside a little.

We are a family of 3 with a minor (tween). Booked at 60+ days for the restaurant. We were seated right at the stairs. I was kind of disappointed. I wanted to be at the window and in the action! At first, I thought we got the worst table. Not by the windows, close to the bar, right at the stairs, etc. But the longer we sat there, I came to realize that it might be the best table. Tables at the windows are cool, but we had the luxury of the panoramic view. We could see everything that happened in space and not just what was in the area of our window. I compared it to a seat at the movies. The first rows aren’t the best seats.

Maybe I’m just making lemonade out of lemons, but I really think some of the lounge area seats are the best in the house.

Hopefully this picture helps put it in perspective. Comparing my view to those at the window, I felt like I was in a better seat.
DB962E02-226E-4005-B6B5-80B1A9FDE46D.jpeg

I could not disagree more. There is a difference between being seated in the dining room and the bar/lounge area in any fine dining restaurant.
This isn't the "bar" at a restaurant. It's a small space, the tables are next to each other, even on the same level. I sat in the "lounge" at a table, and I could have held hands with the people at the "restaurant" table next to me. The dividing line was the walkway to the stairs. This isn't a meaningful distinction for the table itself, it's a booking distinction for time of the experience -- the prix fixe as opposed to an appetizer. OP got the prix fixe, so what's the issue?

OP wanted some particular view, and wanted to pick their table. I thought the lounge tables were a lot better because you could see multiple windows. And I would have wanted the lounge menu anyway. Apparently, OP disagrees. If you want to pick your table, WDW sit-down dining in general is probably not a good choice for you.

Last edited:
Did the OP clarify if he actually ordered from the prix fixe menu?

Also, was the top of his table black or white? That's what differentiates lounge table from restaurant table, as there's no physical barrier.

Not a restaurant, but I had a CM give me an eye roll when they were still loading the A section on Soarin and I asked to go to B as a single rider. (I had used the regular line). No one had been loaded on B yet so I wouldn’t have to wait for the next flight.

My guess is that she had one seat in a row that she needed filled, and somehow I was expected to sit at the edge of the theater with the worst view because I was single even though I had waited in line with everyone else. No, thank you.
I have had the same issue on Flight of Passage several times. The seats on the end aren't great, and solos frequently end up there.

Hi all. Let me start off with saying I am not against eating at a lounge/bar. My last night at Disney I had a reservation at space 220. Due to the theming of the restaurant I wanted to sit in in the restaurant. When I arrived, the hostess asked if I would be ok sitting at the bar. I politely declined and asked to sit in the restaurant. 20 minutes later she motioned for me to come. I asked her if my table was in the restaurant, and not in the lounge, to which she said yes. When I was shown my table it was as close to the bar as you could get. I tried to temper my mood. My server was good and so was the food. However, it gnawed at me and I asked to speak to the night manager who was more offended at me for daring to speak out. He was incredulous and tried telling me that his friends ate at the lounge a couple days ago at the bar with no complaints and that I shouldn’t complain. I’m sorry, but if I made a reservation at a particular restaurant and wanted an experience, I shouldn’t be guilt tripped to being shunned. I did get a discount but it was begrudgingly. I almost walked out but then I’d lose my deposit for the reservation.

Because OP says they were as close to the bar as you can get ~ so that says she was probably in the Lounge. There are plenty of tables in the Lounge between the bar and the restaurant.

I have sat at the tables in the restaurant, physically next to the wall that above is the Lounge. I will say they are not great seats and most do not have good views. I would have preferred sitting in the Lounge closer to the restaurant.

Lower area to the right is the restaurant (black tables) and the upper area to the left is the Lounge (white tables).

space-220-restaurant-lounge-4.jpg

I'm not totally clear where OP sat, I think most don't realize that a third of the restaurant is on the upper level next to the bar. This is looking back towards entrance. Lounge tables (white ) are on the upper level bar side. Also on upper level are Restaurant tables (black tables) on the right. Once could be sat towards back closer to bar and be in the Restaurant. If OP sat on the right side of the walkway with a black table then they were in the Restaurant.

space-220-restaurant-lounge-5.jpg

NOTE: No one can declare that they were only operating at 60-80 etc capacity because it really has nothing to do with the tables. Capacity each day is determined by the serving and kitchen staff there that day, which a guest will not know. So that argument is null, guests will be seated in sections where servers are working.

BUT how the night manager spoke was ... well they are in the wrong business and should not be a face working employee to customers.

OP made a reservation for a certain table type.

That reservation was not honored because they were single.

That is not OK. Period.

Unless the manager told OP that specifically, that is just an assumption. The OP would be assigned to a specific sized table and work within the chart of when that table was open, where a server was working.

NOTE: I have seen guests ask to be moved at Space 220 and were.

This isn't the "bar" at a restaurant. It's a small space, the tables are next to each other, even on the same level. I sat in the "lounge" at a table, and I could have held hands with the people at the "restaurant" table next to me. The dividing line was the walkway to the stairs. This isn't a meaningful distinction for the table itself, it's a booking distinction for time of the experience -- the prix fixe as opposed to an appetizer. OP got the prix fixe, so what's the issue?

OP wanted some particular view, and wanted to pick their table. I thought the lounge tables were a lot better because you could see multiple windows. And I would have wanted the lounge menu anyway. Apparently, OP disagrees. If you want to pick your table, WDW sit-down dining in general is probably not a good choice for you.
WOW, when did I EVER say that I wanted to "pick my table" NO, I want to be CRYSTAL clear. I never asked to "pick my table". I made the reservation, with a human being on the phone. I made the reservation FOR the restaurant, NOT the lounge. The agent said that in the restaurant was for the fixed price which I WANTED. In the picture from post 41, I was seated directed behind the ladies seated on the right. I could have touched them with a little bit of stretching

WOW, when did I EVER say that I wanted to "pick my table" NO, I want to be CRYSTAL clear. I never asked to "pick my table". I made the reservation, with a human being on the phone. I made the reservation FOR the restaurant, NOT the lounge. The agent said that in the restaurant was for the fixed price which I WANTED.
Just FYI:

The prix fixe food served in the Restaurant is also served in the Lounge.

The Lounge menu can not be ordered in the Restaurant.

In the picture from post 41, I was seated directed behind the ladies seated on the right. I could have touched them with a little bit of stretching
Yes, that is the Lounge. The person who seated you was not telling the truth. But had they sat you right across the aisle you came in on, then yes it would have been Restaurant with equally "bad" location.

All of that aside, the manager was way out of line.

LOL, I was seated one table away from this "humiliating" table, in the next two-top off the walkway. I was thrilled and thought it was the best seat in the house. You could see everything, and it's right next to a bunch of "restaurant" tables. I guess you can't please everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter