Sign on bonus for fast food?

I realize that prices are regional.

Small fry $1.59
Double cheeseburger $2.29
With tax total $4.24

Most expensive meal here: double quarter cheese deluxe meal (comes with fries and drink)
Medium $9.19
Large $9.69

So total with the large and tax, that’s $14.83.

Pretty close to $16, and with a second drink it would be $16... but that would effectively make this two meals. $8 per meal isn’t that absurd...

In my area, meals now run $7-$10 (they were $5-8 pre-pandemic). What kills me is that a large fry is now $3.89 (medium $2.79) - that's a $1 increase, and they aren't as good when takeout - and that price is $1.50 more than the Ops double cheeseburger which is $2.39 and the steal on my menus.

But if he ordered a meal here with tax and a double cheeseburger and large fry, easily he'd be $16...he could actually be over $16 with tax...

Spiders said.
"The last time I went to McDonald's I got a meal, a double cheeseburger, and a small fry. It was $16. Disposable incomes are not increasing and *surprise* the increased costs are being passed on. The problem for McDonald's is that nothing I got was worth even close to $16 but I needed something quickly because I was running late. Fast food is great when you don't have any other alternatives. I will at least them credit that the order was correct."

So I was assuming it was a Double Cheese burger meal, not a meal, PLUS a double cheese burger plus a small fry. So in that case I am wrong.
In my area, meals now run $7-$10 (they were $5-8 pre-pandemic). What kills me is that a large fry is now $3.89 (medium $2.79) - that's a $1 increase, and they aren't as good when takeout - and that price is $1.50 more than the Ops double cheeseburger which is $2.39 and the steal on my menus.

But if he ordered a meal here with tax and a double cheeseburger and large fry, easily he'd be $16...he could actually be over $16 with tax...
I think the point being I wouldn’t consider $16 for two meals as an absurd price. (Higher than I typically pay, because I try to use coupons and deals.) And that’s really what OP ordered (unspecified meal type/size + double cheeseburger + small fry), just minus a second drink. I guess it comes down to the question of how much should a fast food meal cost?

My original post was with East Tennessee prices, by the way. So maybe lower than normal, but we also have just over 9% in sales tax. I’d expect higher at an airport and higher in some other metro areas.

... man, I could really go for some McD’s right now!

ETA: Also, I realize I’m going a bit off topic! Sorry!

I’ve seen a few bonus offers for some jobs here, but from what I understand many jobs have limited hours to avoid the whole need to provide benefits/healthcare, and you don’t get to pick shifts or hours.

I've been in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi in the last month. I've seen the same signs as the OP all over.

Minimum wages paid are up, as are sign on incentives.

The job culture has definitely changed since the pandemic started.

It's not a bad thing at all. IMHO.

Back 'in our day' minimum wage went a heck of a lot further than today.
Like back in the 70s when you could pay your Harvard tuition with an average part time entry level job.

I ordered a quarter pounder meal.

A quarter pounder value meal (burger, fries, bottle water)
The wife got the double cheeseburger and small fry (no drink, she already had one)

I just checked my AMEX statement to make sure, total was $16.35

This was in Colorado. We passed another McDonald's later during our trip. We were driving through a ski town where I'm sure it isn't cheap to live and the cheaper places aren't a short drive. Regardless, there was a banner when we passed it that said they were hiring starting at $15 per hour plus a $2 per hour signing bonus.

Netflix’s Andre and his Olive Tree touched upon this. Chefs were saying back in 2017 that the environment has changed where workers didn’t want to work hard and expect to be the boss within a year’s time. That they were happy to make bagels and muffins even wasn’t their own.

Honestly reflecting back we personally saw this workers shift staring in 2017 as well. Covid pulled the trigger further for some including us that have been sacrificing for decades and got tired of work politics where you never will be good enough even when you’re extremely good and goal posts were constantly moved where it was impossible to reach.

This is global. For us, we realized we can have more with less. We grew tired of the 60-90 hour work weeks with forced cancellation of PTO. The stress was unbearable when people beneath you are leaving in droves and you’re been held accountable for the societal shift in the working world. Plus corporations have been cutting and chopping away at benefits for a good ten years now as well.

Simply put. It’s not worth it to live for work anymore. Working to live, living with less, and having a meaningful life is in the forefront.

This is what I have been saying about working from home. I was very lucky to be able to telework, our agency has never done anything like it before and through April of 2020 insisted it couldnt happen. Finally they sent all of us home and eventually called us back to get our desktops from the office. Now they are opening again and many of us dont want to go back, especially if we dont see clients or what we do can be done online. They are now starting to make a telework agreement with the union and I hope I never have to go back. Not because Im lazy and I dont work as hard at home as I do in the office, but because never in my life (and ive been working for almost 30 years now) have I ever had a sustainable work/life balance like I do now. Something was always dropped or I was running ragged.

I have a much more meaningful life now than I did before and I dont want to give this up.

What about the dude that owns 1 McDonalds or Subway or whatever franchised location? I think people forget that most McDonalds (90%) are franchised, not company owned. I'm just using them as an example bc I think most people consider them one of those multi million dollar corps. Sure the McDonalds company is worth billions. But Joe over there doesn't have access to that money. Joe has access to the money from sales from his 1 store. And from that money he has to pay royalties to McD, food costs, insurance, leases, equipment, taxes and payroll. Should that guy with one store who might make 150k a year, which is less than 6% of sales. When you consider what Joe put on the line to be able to purchase the franchise, build or lease the building, lease on the lands etc, and the fact that he probably works 60 hours a week, Joe def isn't rich or making a ton of money at the expense of his employees. Now, Walmart, Amazon, those kinds of things that are 100% company owned and all have the same giant pot of money, sure. They can pay a ton more, and should. Whereas Joe over there, if he has to up his employees from say 12 to 15$ an hour thats an extra $105,000 a year just towards pay rll, not including payroll taxes. (assuming 8 employees working at a time, open only 12 hrs a day, 365 days a year which is much less than actual hours worked). So now Joe only takes home 45K a year (again, not accounting for taxes). Why would he work that hard and put his own resources out there to only make that? I only bring all of this up bc the argument is always about wages and in this example Joe would either A) raise his prices to offset the cost or B) close entirely. You can put this same scenario at any franchised business. I don't think those can be held to the same ideology as the Walmarts and Amazons of the world when it comes to pay.

so yes, raise prices. That’s fine. Consumers will have to offset some of the cost of increased wages. They would also have to close if they can’t find labor to staff their restaurants.
McDonald’s also has the ability to lower franchise fees. But they won’t because they want to make as much money as possible.

The last time I went to McDonald's I got a meal, a double cheeseburger, and a small fry. It was $16. Disposable incomes are not increasing and *surprise* the increased costs are being passed on. The problem for McDonald's is that nothing I got was worth even close to $16 but I needed something quickly because I was running late. Fast food is great when you don't have any other alternatives. I will at least them credit that the order was correct.

Geez, what area was this in? I can get a double cheeseburger meal for 5 bucks and feed the four of us for under 25.

so yes, raise prices. That’s fine. Consumers will have to offset some of the cost of increased wages. They would also have to close if they can’t find labor to staff their restaurants.
McDonald’s also has the ability to lower franchise fees. But they won’t because they want to make as much money as possible.
I'm sure they will. But people will complain about that too and say how greedy the owner is. When in reality the owner is just trying to continue having a business. My point is just that people need to realize that McDonalds corporate and who is actually paying employee wages is NOT the same. You (general you, not you specifically) have to consider the difference between the greed of the corporation who yes, absolutely could lower royalties (which is completely different than franchise fees btw) but we all know they will not, are not the same. The local guy Joe who has probably 2 mil in up front costs just to open the place isn't being greedy, and would probably love to pay more, but often can't. And when they hire more P/'t employees so they don't have to pay benefits, or raise prices to off set those costs of benefits or higher wages, the general public drags them thru the mud for being greedy and only thinking of themselves, because they only think of the Big Mcd Corporation, not the actual person who isn't making nearly the money people think he is.

The local guy Joe who has probably 2 mil in up front costs just to open the place isn't being greedy, and would probably love to pay more, but often can't.
Big corporations who pay what people are willing to work for and sell their product to people willing to pay the price for said product are also not greedy. That is Capitalism.

When there are no longer any workers willing to work for the wage or no longer people willing to pay for the price of the product, then Capitalism dictates either the corporation/business pays more/reduces prices, or they go out of business. Greed has nothing to do with any of it. It really is completely in the hands of the people. We are not entitled to a McCheesburger. If you are willing to pay the price for a McCheesburger, then the price is set correctly and has nothing to do with greed. If you are not willing to pay the price, then you don't and they don't sell a McCheeseburger. That's how it works and is completely lost on the general population who constantly bark about greedy businesses. If you don't like it, don't buy. That's what I do, I don't stand in line 3 days with my wallet out for the latest and greatest iPhone whining and crying about the price and calling Apple greedy because they are selling a product for an in my opinion outrageous price that many people are willing to pay.

Big corporations who pay what people are willing to work for and sell their product to people willing to pay the price for said product are also not greedy. That is Capitalism.

When there are no longer any workers willing to work for the wage or no longer people willing to pay for the price of the product, then Capitalism dictates either the corporation/business pays more/reduces prices, or they go out of business. Greed has nothing to do with any of it. It really is completely in the hands of the people. We are not entitled to a McCheesburger. If you are willing to pay the price for a McCheesburger, then the price is set correctly and has nothing to do with greed. If you are not willing to pay the price, then you don't and they don't sell a McCheeseburger. That's how it works and is completely lost on the general population who constantly bark about greedy businesses. If you don't like it, don't buy. That's what I do, I don't stand in line 3 days with my wallet out for the latest and greatest iPhone whining and crying about the price and calling Apple greedy because they are selling a product for an in my opinion outrageous price that many people are willing to pay.
Just to speak about McDonald's (interesting tangent for this thread) because of the franchises 1 location may charge X amount and another Y amount. I'm not going into the whole greedy conversation but there are times where it's not a simple "don't like the price then don't buy it" thing. That's not even getting into taxing situations where you have different cities with different tax rates and the possibility of a special tax district that adds on. You may know for the future but it's not always preventable paying a higher amount and from a franchisee owner perspective charging a higher amount than the McDonald's down the way doesn't necessarily mean the item is priced accordingly. Especially if you aren't using the app and can't see the pricing before you get there. It also doesn't mean that the employees are paid more at the location where the food costs more.

Pay workers a fair wage. Their jobs aren’t technically difficult, but they’re not easy, with smelling like grease and dealing with the annoying public. Or don’t pay fair wage and lose workers, and eventually close.

Raise prices. Fast food was created to be fast, not cheap. Honestly it would be better for the health of our nation is it was more expensive to feed our families such unhealthy food.

I feel bad for Joe Schmo McD franchisee. Just like I feel bad for all small business owners in the service industry. BUT if there are better jobs available, and fewer workers overall, then their business models need to be adjusted to survive.

Honestly it would be better for the health of our nation is it was more expensive to feed our families such unhealthy food.
Actually I would flip that. It would be better for the health of our nation if it was less expensive to feed our families with healthy food. A lot of people eat fast food because it's cheap(er) than other options. We do complain about the costs of fast food creeping up there but a lot of foods and meal options that are marketed as healthy(ier) are cost prohibitive to a good amount of people, it causes people like it or not to seek out less expensive options which are often not healthy. So I would say instead of making unhealthy food more expensive make healthy(ier) food less expensive. You're still going to have people eat fast food but there would at least be more options available to people.

Actually I would flip that. It would be better for the health of our nation if it was less expensive to feed our families with healthy food. A lot of people eat fast food because it's cheap(er) than other options. We do complain about the costs of fast food creeping up there but a lot of foods and meal options that are marketed as healthy(ier) are cost prohibitive to a good amount of people, it causes people like it or not to seek out less expensive options which are often not healthy. So I would say instead of making unhealthy food more expensive make healthy(ier) food less expensive. You're still going to have people eat fast food but there would at least be more options available to people.

Well I DEFINITELY agree with that. But that’s a whole other issue. But, if fast food was more expensive people might look at other equally priced but healthier alternatives. Or be more apt to just eat at sandwich or cook a burger at home. I don’t know how to make healthier food less expensive. But, keeping fast food cheap is not something I’m going to fight for. Pulling more people out of poverty, so they can afford more nutritious foods is.

It's not just the cost of fast food that makes it attractive, but the time (or lack thereof) required. It's so much faster to run to fast food, get your order for your family and eat it. Of course, there will now be people who come on and say "it takes no time to make a burger at home". Get the hamburger, make the patties, cook the patties, put the dressing on the buns, put the patties on the buns, plate it, etc. And you haven't even gotten into fries yet.

Well I DEFINITELY agree with that. But that’s a whole other issue. But, if fast food was more expensive people might look at other equally priced but healthier alternatives. Or be more apt to just eat at sandwich or cook a burger at home. I don’t know how to make healthier food less expensive. But, keeping fast food cheap is not something I’m going to fight for. Pulling more people out of poverty, so they can afford more nutritious foods is.
I think this is an agree to disagree viewpoint for me. People, IMO, will continue to seek out options that are cheaper even if that cheaper has become more expensive. If you want people to at least look at the healthier options they have to come down in price, the attitude towards it won't change, IMO, if all that occurs is unhealthy food just becomes more expensive.

Hard to cook a burger at home when your meat price is high, might as well go to McDonalds. A 5lb log of 80/20 beef at my closest Walmart right now is $4/lb or $19.98. In April it was $3/lb or $15.00 when we bought it then. Of course we know prices fluctuate but yeah. And yes when you buy meat at the store you can customize how much meat goes into it but a lot of people are just going to look at "It's 20$ to get this meat and just the meat, too pricey".

That said I don't know how to make healthier food less expensive either as an industry. Local farmers typically have low profit margins in comparison to large companies so I usually understand more why a farmers market tomato is going to cost me a lot more than one I pick up at Walmart (especially if we're talking about how the tomato is grown).

Random examples I know just things I can think of at the moment.

Hard to cook a burger at home when your meat price is high, might as well go to McDonalds. A 5lb log of 80/20 beef at my closest Walmart right now is $4/lb or $19.98. In April it was $3/lb or $15.00 when we bought it then. Of course we know prices fluctuate but yeah.
I don't think that's a good comparison. Five pounds of beef would be 20(!) quarter pound burgers. Even at the higher price, that's $1/burger, still a fraction of a what a quarter pounder would be.
Having healthy alternatives is a great goal. However, you (general) would need to make them:
1) As easily available as "typical" fast food.
2) Close to the same price (doesn't have to be the same or cheaper, but would need to be within about $1) as "typical" fast food
3) As 'tasty' as "typical" fast food.

#1 & #2 BOTH are needed.

I’ve always wondered why until recent history, one person (the man) in the family could easily support the entire family on his wages alone. My grandfather worked in a factory and gave my mother and grandmother (and aunt and uncle) a great life. Vacations every year, fun activities etc. on one factory workers pay. Now oftentimes two worker families have trouble making ends meet. It’s a shame.

I don't think that's a good comparison. Five pounds of beef would be 20(!) quarter pound burgers. Even at the higher price, that's $1/burger, still a fraction of a what a quarter pounder would be.
Having healthy alternatives is a great goal. However, you (general) would need to make them:
1) As easily available as "typical" fast food.
2) Close to the same price (doesn't have to be the same or cheaper, but would need to be within about $1) as "typical" fast food
3) As 'tasty' as "typical" fast food.

#1 & #2 BOTH are needed.
Did you miss my "And yes when you buy meat at the store you can customize how much meat goes into it but a lot of people are just going to look at "It's 20$ to get this meat and just the meat, too pricey"."

Please don't use the example as a way to discredit what I was talking about with respects to pricing of food at the store vs pricing of fast food because I think most people understand the base point (well I hope). You are of course free to disagree about healthy vs unhealthy pricing structure. But honestly I'm about thinking about changing the industry as a whole and how people view healthy alternatives as a lifestyle choice. I don't believe you're to get there if all you do is make unhealthy food more expensive (IMO) which was the conversation between me and the other poster.

Did you miss my "And yes when you buy meat at the store you can customize how much meat goes into it but a lot of people are just going to look at "It's 20$ to get this meat and just the meat, too pricey"."
Must have
Please don't use the example as a way to discredit what I was talking about with respects to pricing of food at the store vs pricing of fast food because I think most people understand the base point (well I hope). You are of course free to disagree about healthy vs unhealthy pricing structure. But honestly I'm about thinking about changing the industry as a whole and how people view healthy alternatives as a lifestyle choice. I don't believe you're to get there if all you do is make unhealthy food more expensive (IMO) which was the conversation between me and the other poster.
As I was saying, it's more than cost difference.

Last edited:
One thing that’s been mentioned a bit in this thread that I think is a large contributor to the problem, is how nasty the public has become. And, at times, dangerous. A 17 year old lifeguard was recently stabbed on duty in MA because he asked a group of young adults to stop partying or leave. There is already a lifeguard shortage.
When my DD was 14 and 15, she worked as a cashier and then service desk clerk at our grocery store. Not sure I would let my young teen work with the public in today’s environment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter