Sick & confined to stateroom- Anyone else ?

Quote:
The ultimate insult was when DD and I were attending the last show and a child was crying because the Hercules show wasn't on again. A cast member asked the mother I a voice loud enough for plenty of us to hear- "I'm so sorry would you like us to have the character come to the suite?" Several other parents nearby just shook their heads. Must be nice- we couldn't even get our room cleaned! [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe if they sent "Meg" up to your husband's room that would help cheer him up, or the "Muses"? I know that would perk my DH right up :)
Sorry I could not help myself ;):jester: :jester: :jester:

Is cruise insurance from DCL different for different categories or based on the amount paid for the ticket, or is it the same for all categories?

I checked my documents and we paid $99 per adult and $59 per child. There are 5 of us and we are staying in a category 4. Is that why we are paying more than the category 11 which was suposedly $99 or so for all three people?

Just curious, but the $99 for 3 people for a week sounds really cheap, since I paid $375 for 5 people. I'm not upset that I paid it, we booked it over a year ago, and with the health of my extended family, it was well worth it in case we had to cancel, and now all the quarantining worries.

4 days 13 hours to go and so far (knock wood) all grandparents and parents are currently healthy!

Hi Monie,

Sorry to hear you had a less than Magical cruise. I was wondering who your cabin steward was. Ours was of a pit viper nature. She didn't do much in the way of hostessing, and we always left our cabin easy for her to service, ie., all towels in the tub, all personal effects put away, and no trash anywhere but in the baskets. (Kind of like cleaning, so the houskeeper can clean;) . ) She rarely spoke to us, and I have the feeling that IF we HAD gotten sick, that would have been it for her. All I can say is she is very lucky my DH doled out the tips.

Speaking to the rest of your post, maybe my head was in the sand, but I personally, did not witness any of the other concerns you noted. The only place I saw sanitary wipes were at Topsiders. The Kids were instructed to wash upon entering as well as leaving the clubs :) , and I never saw a single person who looked remotely ill. I did notice one day at Topsiders, we were allowed to self serve, but that was not the case the next day:confused: . We had the second seating and maybe there were less children, and therefore, different apparent illness. Who knows? I did see a few people carrying diners back to their staterooms, and the children sitting next to us were quarantined, but, as I said, I never saw anyone looking ill:p . Thank Goodness for that! I'm of a very suggestive nature, and that would have put me right over the top.

Anyway, my kids just missed the bus:o ! Need to go! Hope you're all feeling better!

Tracy

kajohn.....it is my understanding that insurace thru DCL is the same across the board.....same prices as you mentioned $99 for adults and $59 for kids. That is what we have paid in the past and we have been in Cat 4's and Cat 9's...paid the same in insurance. I do not think Category or price paid for the cruise factors in with DCL insurance.

Other insurance companies do base the premium on cost of the trip, but not when you book insurance thru DCL.

MJ

Anne- I find your post quite rude and inconsiderate! We hardly "brought this on ourselves"! We could not afford $300 more for insurance. My husband recently lost his job and this was something special to try to help him feel better. The 3 of us gave up Christmas gifts and let the cruise be our present to each other.
As for the luggage, I asked as soon as we got to the room which by the way was before 1:00. I only wanted her to store the 2 pieces that would not fit under the bed. How dare you insinuate that I don't know how to pack. We had 2 large suitcases,a smaller tote, a child's suitcase and small carry on bag. I had planned on stuffing the smaller items inside the large suitcases and putting them under the bed, but it didn't have enough clearance. Unfortunately the hardside pieces would not got under the bed. Also our hostess Novett was from Jamaica and spoke perfect English. I wasn't asking for much. I personally bagged and tied all the trash. Bagged the soiled towels and such so she could avoid handling anything with fluids (being polite here) on it. I went out of my way to prevent her from becoming infected and just think she could have done the same.
When we went to medical they immediately put my husband in a bed and started IV fluids. You would think someone onboard would have been a little concerned about his well being.

No Ka- insurance was $99 pp $59 child. We were originally quoted $259pp in error by our agent. They were giving us the total amout and then saying pp which had us thinking it was almost $800. By the time we were alerted to the error it was too late to buy it.

I understand that service should be better in a higher category, but there shouldn't be this much difference. More than anything I am really concerned for the health of those currently occupying our room. No way it was cleaned enough after we left if the same hostess still had it assigned to her.

Originally posted by kpgclark
No way. Pools have chlorine which kills germs.

Don't write the pools off so quickly. Pool chemicals go out of balance very quickly, hot tubs even quicker. My DD got a very bad bacterial infection when she was 2 1/2 that was traced back to a hotel pool.

You didn't buy the insurance. End of story. It was your option, you chose to not purchase it for whatever reason. Again, your TA messed that up, I would put the blame on her.

I will agree that someone from the ships medical office should have checked on your husband.

As far as the luggage goes, I don't know where you got the impression that DCL will store it for you, but thta's generally not the case. Many people have talked about this on these boards, and they've also given the measurements of the luggge that they could and couldn't get under the bed.

Again, sorry your DH was sick and your trip didn't turn out well.

Anne

Originally posted by monie516
...insurance was $99 pp $59 child. We were originally quoted $259pp in error by our agent. They were giving us the total amout and then saying pp which had us thinking it was almost $800. By the time we were alerted to the error it was too late to buy it.
Thank you for clearing this up! I didn't understand what you meant either!

Skipping the insurance is like gambling, but $800 to cover a week long vacation doesn't seem like a good bet.

As you can tell I'm very new to the boards. Must have missed the posts regarding luggage size. We cruised Royal Carribean and Carnaval years ago and both stored some luggage. Seems I read something somewhere that if possible they would store luggage. My point was that they stored 10+ pieces for one cabin and none for us and perhaps others who asked. If they had stored a piece or so for each everyone would have had a little more space in their cabin. I would have been happy to have just one piece out of the way. The only place to put them was beside the bed which made it tough if you had to jump in and out(if you know what I mean).
I emailed my TA regarding this to suggest they alert clients to the quarrantine clause in the insurance. Had I know of it I would definately have considered it- we were told it had to do with lost luggage and trip cancellation.
Even more interesting is that medical had us fill out a long form for CDC. They were supposed to take samples for testing- never did. Also we were provided with no documentation of the whole experience.

When my DD was quarantined while docked in Key West, I specifically asked if we could just get off the ship and cut our losses. This was not an option due to Key West port regs, I was told. It was no considered a medical emergency, she just couldn't leave her cabin. We could get off in Grand Cayman 2 days later but I don't fly and we never docked there due to the weather anyway. The point is don't assume you will be able to leave if things go wrong. You might be stuck.

Laura

We're just off the 1/25 Magic and also had the experience of having our DD7 quarantined. While in the kids club she complained to one of the counselors about a "forehead-ache" and then said she felt sick. The counselor brought her to the bathroom where she threw up.

One of the other counselors then called down to the medical center to let them know we were coming. (The medical center was closed by the time this all happened.) We didn't really have a choice about whether or not to go to the medical center; the appointment was made for us.

This is not out of the ordinary for our DD7. Seems to be a combination of over-excitement and not eating enough lead to a bad headache (migraine?)...which leads to her throwing up.

After quite a bit of questioning of both DD7 and myself, the doctor said DD7 would need to be quarantined for 24 hours. Due to her symptoms (or lack thereof) the doctor did not believe DD7 had the Norwalk-like virus, but said she needed to err on the side of caution.

The doctor did mention there was a room where kids in quarantine could play together....I thanked her for the info, but said we wouldn't be going there since we didn't want our daughter to get the Norwalk-like virus!

DD7 did stay in the cabin for the 24 hours and relaxed. We did have a follow-up call from Guest Services asking if we needed anything. Also, our room steward, Wayan from Indonesia, asked if there was anything he could do to help.

After her 24-hour quarantine was over, I went down to the medical office to get a written release. The next time DD7 went to the kids club, we brought the release. However, just to double check, they did call down the the medical office to confirm her release.

While I wasn't thrilled with DD7 being quarantined, I understood Disney's position. We did what we were instructed to do and went on from there.

In spite of the quarantine, all in all, we did have a magical cruise.

We were on RCCL a couple weeks ago and when my DD (adult) came down with Norwalk. They quarantined her for 72 hrs.and me for 24 and I was fine! Nobody ever called to we needed anything or to see if she was feeling better. Nobody told me I could order from main dining rm. menu during my "lock up" and their room service menu is very limited. I ate a cheese platter for lunch and one for dinner and one for lunch next day. Nobody even seemed clear on when my 24 hrs. was up - when she 1st felt ill, or 8 hrs. later when we went to infirmary? Turned out I was in room 8 hrs. longer then needed. With my DD ill I didn't want to go far, but at least a peak from deck at our port of call would have been nice. Also we were in a room the size of a phone booth. DD was feeling so poorly she didn't care, but it was a looong 24 hrs. for me. We had a room attendant who was okay, but as time passed she did less and less. Never emptied trash, change towels, beds never straightened the last full day on board. By that time my DD was sleeping in ship infirmary misdiagnoised with a bowel obstruction so room was empty a lot- no reason she couldn't get in to clean. I did get a visit after midnight from 2 men who "disinfected" our room. Woke me out of 1st sleep I'd had in a over 24 hrs. Heard conflicting stories on how many ill but dr. at one point said only 25 families effected later just said a number of people. They were so busy disinfecting ship by last full day they were even wiping down slot machines while people were still playing them. I know we felt that more then compensation, having someone act as if they truly gave a darn would have been wonderful.

Originally posted by monie516
Anne- I find your post quite rude and inconsiderate! We hardly "brought this on ourselves"!

I was just trying to lighten things up with the "Meg" come to visit your husband comment. Didn't mean to sound rude! :(

oh...never mind:rolleyes:

The curse of having the name Ann(e) you think everyone means you.. I wish I had a cool unique name...darn you mom!

We cruised on the 10/27/02 Wonder before all of the hoopla on the news about the Norwalk virus. The ship got back into port on Halloween day and we went to WDW for 4 days. On the 2nd day at WDW my 16 month old DS woke up throwing up. He continued to throw up and then dry heave for 24 hours. Those of you with children know that a 16 month old throwing up constantly every 15 minutes is not fun, they don't know how to turn their heads, they choke, they cry because it hurts. It was awful.

Our 4 year old DS was fine but sure enough on the drive back to NC from Orlando he threw up every 30 minutes. Thankfully he was old enough to throw up in the right direction. We finally stopped at a truck stop and I sent my DH in for more plastic bags. He came back with a HUGE industrial size trash bag which I preceeded to berate him for but it turned out to be great. We "tied" it around my DS and he knew where to aim..........that was one of the longest rides of my life......YUCK!

My point being I am sure due to the timing my 16 month DS picked up something on the Wonder or from Flounders and then passed it on (DH, Mom and me ended up with it).

We were staying at the All Star Movies and they were great. Every time I asked for more crib sheets, towels, blankets they were prompt and right there.

I know myself and if my sons had been sick on the ship I would have understood the quarantine and also know when you have the virus you are so sick you don't want to leave your bed. I think DCL needs to be responsive to everyone and help them get through their illness with clean towels and gatorade etc.

Not once though did I think I was entitled to anything since our part of the WDW trip was ruined. I just hope everything goes well next year on the Halloween Magic. I do worry because my 4 year DS tends to have motion sickness throw up episodes and have take a anti nausau medication daily for medical problems. I plan on making sure I have my medical forms completed by my Doctors in the event I am held like 4Nana.

Oh well just my experience.

AnnMarin -
Be thankful you weren't named "Rae" - it hasn't been easy!

RE: Disney Medical Center
Not to provide any excuses but they are a very small staff and if others were needing immediate or emergency attention, I could understand why someone didn't get a "courtesy call".
We received a call from them when we were down with strep throat and cold symptoms. We elected to stay away from others when we were at our worst - again, not to compromise our immune system or spread our cold to others.

RE: Host/hostess courtesy
Some are better than others - just human nature. I've only had one that wasn't as attentive as previous ones but still she did her job well enough to merit a tip plus. There is no excuse for not doing towels, linen or trash. NONE WHATSOEVER!

Buzz&woody'sMom -
Love the trash bag your husband brought - I would never have thought of it! Wish he was coming with you on this next trip - I'd love to hear his story when you saw him come out with that!!!
I've had major stomach surgery (GERD) and can't expell - so I get severe dry heaves. I never thought I was blessed until I read your story.

Rae

AnnMarin- Sorry didn't mean you - your post was hilarious. They could have sent Hercules down and I'm sure I would have been in much better spirts-LOL!

Since I felt like "Hades" when I was sick, I'd have preferred him!!
I love that show! BUT Dueling Pianos with Fidelio is my favorite!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter