Should we move to Disney World????

ziggystardust said:
I apologize, you misunderstood, I meant near me in NY the houses are going for 500,000. Not in FL, thats why we want to get down there and QUICK!!

Property values are going through the roof in FL as well. My house is worth 150+% of what we paid for it--two years ago!

The place going up next to me cost $1M!

Two years ago you could buy a really nice new 3/2 2200 sf under air home with a two car garage in my town for about $200K. Now it's hard to find anything under about $300K.

Anne

taswira said:
No offense was intended. I apologize if you took it that way. Yes, there are "real" snakes there as well. As that website explains, there are many snakes brought in that are of course not native, just as there are many animals/reptiles here in FL that are not native. As a former zookeeper who has worked with venomous and non-venomous snakes, I do know a snake from a worm. :goodvibes

And yes, what I saw were "real" snakes. And FYI, I have nothing against Hawaii. I have visited many times and it's a wonderful place to photograph. :)

Hey, Darlin'
See to what good use I put your/my/Marsha's photo from our great meet last January....hard to believe it's been over a year!....As usual, I'm just starting to pack for another holiday...DCL's western repositioning cruise this time and no time for WDW..boo hoo...But there will be ten days of Disneyland at the California end, though. Ahhh, there's nothing like 3 weeks of solo Disney to make me smile... Just got unpacked from the DCL 10-day holiday cruise with a week at WDW before...I'll be back to WDW in November...maybe AKL. I'll say HI to Chip for you....
:banana: :banana: :banana:

300,000 for a home ohmy! I see that as quite affordable. The houses in my neighborhood (in New York) are now going for 1-1.5 million- rediculus.
Have a good one,
-K

Our family is considering moving to Florida in the Spring of 2007 as our son will be graduating from College here in New York and our daughter will be graduating high school. She hasn't decided where to go to College yet. But with the awful long winters and both kids finished with school, we can sell our family business and move. My question is for those people who have moved there, how long did it take you to settle in to Florida. Our very good friends from here in New York moved to Boca almost 2 years ago and are still having a hard time adjusting. Thanks.

SamRoc said:
Our family is considering moving to Florida in the Spring of 2007 as our son will be graduating from College here in New York and our daughter will be graduating high school. She hasn't decided where to go to College yet. But with the awful long winters and both kids finished with school, we can sell our family business and move. My question is for those people who have moved there, how long did it take you to settle in to Florida. Our very good friends from here in New York moved to Boca almost 2 years ago and are still having a hard time adjusting. Thanks.
well it would be fun to be able to go on all of those rides with out traveling really far but then you would also miss all of your frinds but u will make new ones. i would look foward to moving there. :wave2:

Forevryoung said:
300,000 for a home ohmy! I see that as quite affordable. The houses in my neighborhood (in New York) are now going for 1-1.5 million- rediculus.
Have a good one,
-K

Its so funny how $300k is affordable, but I agree. You don't have an option like that near me. Houses just keep on doubling in price. Its great for those selling, but for those, like me, that are just starting out, are completely out of luck. If I want anything for me in the future, it means moving out of NY.
And the Orlando area in #1 on my list right now.

The real estate market is going through the roof. I paid $221,000 for my house in May 2003 (6 bedroooms, 3 full bath, formal living room/dining room, family room, kitchen) and now its appraised in the high 350,000s. Homes in our area are going from 200,000s to 300,000s.

Yes, this might sound like a lot, but a lot more affordable than NY. My friend has a small 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath in NY and they just appraised it at $750,000. He is selling and moving here too.

Crazy market out there. Anyone need any links to real estate, email me or send a message.

:Pinkbounc This sounds awfully tempting but what about crime? Does anyone have any statistics? Thanks! :cool1:

lovespugs said:
DH and I moved to Orlando about 6 months ago from Kansas City. We were spending all of our vacations here, and I was looking to get away from the cold winters. I love it here! We live across the street from Universal, about 15 minutes from Disney. We have dinner at WDW about twice a month, and try to visit a park at least once a month. The weather here really suits me. DH and I constantly tell each other how much we love it here. Of course our family thought we were crazy for moving, but we've really found a place that suits us. All of the things to do around Orlando are the kinds of things we like to do, so we are never bored.

One of the things I like about Orlando is that it seems that no one is a native Floridian. I've found this makes it much easier to make friends quickly. I would definitely encourage anyone thinking of moving here to rent before you buy. This will allow you to get more comfortable with the area, feel out the traffic, and figure out what areas you like. We're renting an apartment near Universal Studios, which is fun for recent transplants who still feel more like tourists than locals. But when we decided to build a house we picked the east side of town, where the tourists rarely venture.

When DH and I were debating moving down here we figured if we totally hated it, it would always be easier to move back home than it was to leave home. Luckily we're young and don't have kids, so it was easier for us to pick up and move. I'm so glad we decided to go for it. We weren't unhappy in Kansas City, we're just so much happier here!

I don't have any stats but from the news it doesn't sound as bad as when I lived in Pittsburgh PA.

My neighbor put his house on the market this past Friday for $315,990 (2,457 sq. ft). Originally bought it over a year ago for $210,000. Sold it on Saturday afternoon, not even 24 hrs. after going on the market.

Talk about a crazy real estate market in FLorida. It is because of our location to the airport, the BeeLine, 417, Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach and Disney.

Crime is as it is everywhere. You have the nice areas and the bad ones. What you hear in the news when you are on vacation encompasses all of Central Florida and beyond. Disney World is in Osceola County, Orlando is in Orange County.

If you send a request to the Sheriffs Department for each county, and the Orlando PD, they will send you a crime analysis stats folder.

Hope this helps.

For those who asked - We don't get too much air traffic. Hardly noticeable. They reallly don't fly over us.

We are considered Orlando (but unincorporated). It is a little confusing but here is how it works - we get Orange County Sheriffs, not Orlando PD., as well as Orange County Rescue and Fire, not Orange. We elect a County Mayor, but do not elect the mayor of the city of Orlando. We pay no City of Orlando taxes, just county tax.

I love the area, it is great and convenient to everything - airport, beaches, mall, and major attractions. Can't beat the area and the real estate is going through the roof.

Check out:

www.northshoreatlakehart.com
www.mossparkfl.com
www.falconparc.com

Hope this helps and if any questions, email me.

Maria

Intersting thread. Let's see, I grew up in Pittsburgh (Aliquippa), and lived in Orldando for four years in the mid 90's (Windemere), so I have opinions about both sides....

1. Orlando was fun to live in. Being AP members to WDW, Uni, and Sea World was a blast. Also, if you are a golfer, it is heaven.
2. Orlando home prices are very reasonable compared to most markets. You do need to be careful about the builder though, but if you get a good one (I had the best, Rick Carr of Sunscape Homes) you could have the house of your dreams for not much money.
3. The environment is VERY different than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's ethnic mix and pride, the small towns that banded together, etc, are unique. Folks are friendly in Orlando, but it's not like living in a smallhamlet outside of Pittsburgh.
4. The no winter thing is appealing, but I started to miss it. Then again, I've lived in Philly for the last ten years and I hate snow again !!! The heat in Orlando in the summer is extreme, but you learn to live with it.
5. Don't ever expect a lawn like up north. What goe for gras sin Florida, would be pulled as weeds in the north :teeth: . Oh, yea, don't step on a fire ant hill.
6. Lots of high tech business in Orlando. Much more than most expect. Much of it built around the military-industrial complex, but good jobs and good money.

My wife and I will be retiring in ~ 9 years. What our boys do (either stay close by up here, or scatter across the country) will determine where we retire. If it is not here in PA, it will either be in Florida or in Albuquerque..

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading this thread, and getting a lot of helpful information from all those of you who live in Florida and/or have moved there from cold northern areas.

I always check the job postings in central Florida just in case... :)

I also wanted to agree about the crazy costs of buying a home. I live in Chicago (I rent, though) and one unit of an average-sized walk-up across the street from me just sold for $789,000. I can't believe it.

I would strongly consider it. You are not only near WDW, but Orlando is a booming town that should offer several job opportunities. Plus you will be just a short drive from either the Gulf or Ocean. Once a year you can drive up to Pittsburgh in the winter to see what you are missing. I just had an opportunity to play in a charity game against the Pittsburgh Penguins Alumni with Bryan Trottier and Joe Mullen. We had a great time. Check it out at www.slapshot2.org

I moved to Orlando last year from Virginia and love it here. I always wanted to live here after the seven family trips we made over the years. You definately have the luxury of going to the parks whenever you want and Disney offers a FL resident AP which is what I have. However, remember this is a tourist area and there's always LOTS of traffic to deal with. The real estate is definately reasonable and the job market is...well...challenging to say the least. You can always work at WDW or Universal for $8.00/hr but that's not going to afford you much luxury. There are lots of call center and technology related jobs here. I would suggest checking: www.monster.com and www.careerbuilder.com for jobs on a daily basis..if you're serious about moving here. WARNING: As I was told last year before moving down, unless you live here, you probably won't get many replies on your resume. There are enough people here already who want/need jobs so they don't usually look outside the area unless you are exactly what the company is looking for. Just make sure you research this area very well before making that jump. :wave2:

This thread is encouraging me to do some more serious thinking about moving somewhere south! I'm single again living in Minnesota and a teacher so I don't think I can move for a few years...need to have some kind of retirement to live on! But my son is finishing an advanced internship at Disney (great program!!) and is hoping to get a permanent Disney job in the next few months. If he does, I may give more serious thought to moving.
Anyone know about the schools in the WDW area?

The DH wants to move to Fla and wants to work for WDW. As much as I love WDW I'm not ready to move. I would love to work for WDW but don't know if FLa for me. :sad2:

GOVAC24 said:
The DH wants to move to Fla and wants to work for WDW. As much as I love WDW I'm not ready to move. I would love to work for WDW but don't know if FLa for me. :sad2:

FL isn't for everyone. It's REALLY hot and humid in the summer and of course we have hurricane season. If this year is anything like last year with the hurricanes, I may move. :rotfl:

As I posted before, whenever you're ready to make the jump and move down here, make sure you research the area. It's going to be tough to live off of what the theme parks pay unless you get some sort of management position or you don't need the $$$. :sunny:

Just finished skimming through this thread, so forgive me if I missed the answers to the following questions. (Oh, but first: We may be able to telecommute soon, so we may be able to choose where we want to live, and don't have to worry about the job market. Mom wants warmer temps, kids love the Mouse, so FL is obviously a top draw.)

What areas have good schools? Doesn't have to be in Orlando. (Kids are 4-15 years old.)

Are the bugs really THAT bad? Is it better to go with a newer home?

Where (else) in Florida is there a smallish town, with decent schools, and with relativeley affordable housing? "Affordable": We're coming from a small community next to a lagre city in the Midwest where our 2200sq. ft. home (not including bsmnt.) with 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, on a huge lot would go for about $220-240,000

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter