Should we move to Disney World????

ducklite said:
No roaches inside the house, we have the "Tubes In the Walls" system and it's amazing!

Anne,

What is the Tubes in the Walls system? DH and I have bought a condo in Celebration for a winter residence and I am terrified of bugs and not sure how we should tackle pest control.

Susan

Here's a link to a web site explaining it:

http://www.pestdefense.com/Pages/services_tw.htm

It has to be installed during the building process. I can't believe more builders don't do it, because it's a huge selling point and there's vitually no cost to them! The company makes its money on the service contract, as they are the only ones with the proper equipment to hook up to the exterior port (and the key for the cover!). Their costs are the same give or take a couple dollars either way as the others that I got quotes from, and I don't have to be home when they come to service!!!

At any rate, after the first treatment after the house was finished, there were lots of dead bugs on the floor. Most of them had fallen out of the air ducts it seemed. Lots of bugs get into the house while it's being built, nothing you can do about that.

Since then, while I've found the occasional dead small spider, gnat, or housefly on the floor or windowsill, I figure many of those can get in through an open door, and the fact that they are dead says that the tubes are working.

We had a couple dozen dead cricketts in the garage once after having been away for a few weeks, but in retrospect we had the garage door open all day for several days before we left, and they likely got in and then couldn't get out. Felt bad, I like cricketts.

Anne

DFiore1 said:
I wanna move to Disney World!!! I could live in the Land exhibit
WOW! I never thought there would be anyone else who felt the way I do about The Land. I find it the most serene and peaceful exhibit and very "grounding" experience after all the noise and bustle (which I do love.) I'm happy to see I'm not alone, I've done the ride many times and hope to do it many more. :Pinkbounc

Pigsty333 said:
I moved to Orlando from NY and I live 7 miles from the Orlando International Airport. This is only about five or six exits away from Disney (15 mins) and it is an area that is really growing. There are many new homes, communities going up and plenty of lakes, such as Moss Park State Park. We are between 528 and 417 (which I take all the time and is less traveled to Disney). I live at North Shore at Lake Hart (www.northshoreatlakehart.com) and we have town homes too. This is a gated community with a golf course. We have Moss Park Commons by Beazer Homes, Mercedes Homes, Vista Lakes, Tivoli Woods, Tivoli Gardens and Lake Nona Golf and Country Club the home of Anika Sorestam, Ernie Els, Retief Goosen, Sergio Garcia, Nick Faldo and Lou Holz to name a few. Not a bad area and really exploding.

Don't forget to check the airlines for employment, ie customer service. Even as a part timer you get free flight benefits. Can't beat that.
Pigsty333, this sounds like a lovely location! Which suburb/town is it in?

ORD2KOA said:
I forgot to add --- the idea of living where there are SNAKES freaks me out a little. There are no snakes in Hawaii.
Sorry, but there are snake in Hawaii, and yes, I have been there and seen a few. Click HERE for a link to info on ExploreBiodiversity.com.

Most people I meet who have moved here to central FL are from the northeast (mostly NJ or NY) and they love it because they no longer have to shovel snow so they think the weather is fantastic and even worth dealing with the hurricanes, excessive rain, humidity and the expense of pest control. I liked southern California (where I was born and raised) better, and even shovelling a bit of snow (nothing major) in southwest Idaho was easier than the stress of the hurricanes. BUT as long as WDW is here, it is well worth it to me to put up with all the things I don't like here.

As for scenery - I love green grass, trees, and wildlife, and there is plenty of that here. :teeth:

I do think the cost of living here is higher than a lot of places, and seems to be increasing rapidly. However, it is a bonus that we have no state income tax.

Hey...

I moved here a little over a month ago from Sedona, AZ (interestingly somebody earlier in this thread wants to retire to Sedona...).

My parents bought down here in a town called Tavares and I moved in with them as my mom really wanted me to come down with them as she and my father are getting up in age. I love it here!

So far I've only been to Universal as someone gave me an AP in exhange for some web site work. As soon as I can I'll get over to Disney - but I kind of want to get an AP first.

I'm thinking of applying for a job at Universal as it's easy to get to from here and probably a shorter drive than Disney. (then I can go play at Disney on my time off - LOL!)

I absolutely LOVE it here - although I'm hoping to get out and meet people as the only people I know down here are my parents. I have lived in NC before - so I know how hot and humid it can get here. Still, this is my ideal place to live. (except for maybe IN DW!!!)

Smiles,

Holly

:cheer2:

Ok, I am not ready to retire as I am only 20 BUT I am graduating early from college and I will have 8 months to work where ever I want. I was thinking Disney would be an awesome place to work and just fun in general. After 8 months I will be forced to come back to the real world and go to graduate school for my masters.

I know there was a post about the process of applying for a job but does anyone have more information about it or know where I can get some?

I will be at Disney in June for the first time in 9 years so I am sure it has changed a lot but I can try to interview for a job then even though I will have to postpone working there for 6 months. Or I will just have to plan a trip back to apply ;) .

I know there is a Disney College Program but I have heard it's not the best deal in the world (hehe). Its a full time job + overtime for minimum wage and then the cost of their housing and food and pocket money and you wind up barely breaking even. I need to save money for graduate school.

Thanks!
-K

ThePhantomsGirlfrien said:
As soon as I can I'll get over to Disney - but I kind of want to get an AP first. :cheer2:
Hey Holly - I sure hope you get that WDW AP before the Pal Mickey Reunion! Looking forward to meeting you . . . :cool1:

Yeah, it was my elderly widowed mother who lured me to move to FL. She needed the company, and fortunately she is a fan of WDW. In spite of many of the downsides of FL living, WDW more than makes up for it. :)

I will be 24 in less than a month ( so like Forevryoung I'm not at retirement age just yet). My DBF and I are kind of sick of NY. We love it don't get me wrong, but the awful winters and the even more awful cost of living. As 2 young employed people, there is no way we will ever be able to afford a home. I was looking in the paper on Sunday and a shack, I mean a shack was going for $489,000. We're looking to move, love the idea of Celebration but we are willing to go anywhere that we can get a nice place near WDW of course. I would be willing to go down there with out a job, work for Disney or Nordstroms, or like someone suggested an airline. DBF might be lucky enough to get a transfer down there.

But for right now, we're saving and saving. We would be so happy to go there. I'm so glad to hear that so many of you love it. It makes the move so much easier.

Hay Ziggy,
I'm from NY too- I would never be able to live on my own here. Disney on the other hand... might be able to save up a little more money. If you move down there can I come live in the basement? Please? :flower:
-K

My Mom and I are planning on moving to florida by March of 2006. About 1 year from now. That will give her time to get her affairs in order and settled. We have looked on a few different websites that list Apartments for rent and have found about 50 different complexes in the Orlando area that look like something that we would want to find out more about. But we just don't have any idea of where to start as far as what areas are most secure and more adult age oriented. And on the flip side what parts of the Orlando area are ones to stay away from.

On a side note for those who work as cast members if you could message me privately if you wish and tell me what the company is like to work for and any other information you may have about the company so I can decide as to what I would like to do for work I would greatly appreciate it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Amy

Forevryoung said:
Hay Ziggy,
I'm from NY too- I would never be able to live on my own here. Disney on the other hand... might be able to save up a little more money. If you move down there can I come live in the basement? Please? :flower:
-K

:teeth: :teeth:

If it happens any time soon, I will definitly keep you in mind!!!!!

It's truly amazing the amount of people who think just like DH and I! I thought we were alone with our absurd thoughts. So we are in the same boat. Live here in SE VA. No children to tie us down. 26/27 yr olds. I work retail and DH works in music retail. We are both interested in working for Disney (have been for 2.5 yrs now). I also wouldn't mind hearing from castmembers about working for Disney, benefits, traveling to and from work, ect. I have worked in a theme-park before (not that it even COMPARES to WDW, but I do have experience) and love working with people. Feel free to PM me as well with info. Thanks in advance, and thank you to all who live in FL currently and have given some useful information!!! Maybe DH and I will become your neighbors!

pumpkinfish - we are in a very similar boat. My DBF and I have been looking to move down for a while. He is in retail, I'm a graphic designer - but have worked in retail most of my working life. I would love to work for Disney, ideally as a designer but I'll take anything. My DBF works for an international retail chain that is looking to open in the Orlando area, if that happens hopefully he'll be able to transfer.

We are young, have nothing really holding us to NY. The way we figure it NY is only 2 hours by plane, so we can always visit family with out a problem.

Here's hoping!!

taswira said:
Sorry, but there are snake in Hawaii, and yes, I have been there and seen a few. .

Oh, pardon me, but I'm sure while you were trying to prove I was wrong, you realized that I meant "real" snakes.

BTW - how can you be sure that what you saw wasn't actually a worm?

No offense was intended. I apologize if you took it that way. Yes, there are "real" snakes there as well. As that website explains, there are many snakes brought in that are of course not native, just as there are many animals/reptiles here in FL that are not native. As a former zookeeper who has worked with venomous and non-venomous snakes, I do know a snake from a worm. :goodvibes

And yes, what I saw were "real" snakes. And FYI, I have nothing against Hawaii. I have visited many times and it's a wonderful place to photograph. :)

I live 12 miles from Epcot and have a very nice 3 bedroom house. It is not a shack and I paid nowhere near 400,000. I think you are looking at the wrong ads. You can buy a nice house for less than 200,000.

All I can tell you is that if and when a snake is seen, they hunt it down. It is illegal to bring one to Hawaii. The penalty for bringing a snake into the state is $25,000. The biggest threat is airplanes coming from Guam. Every plane is checked. The article you linked to said that snakes have been caught, not that they're roaming about here.

You're the first person who has ever said they've seen a snake in Hawaii. I hope you reported it to the authorities. :-)

taswira said:
No offense was intended. I apologize if you took it that way. Yes, there are "real" snakes there as well. As that website explains, there are many snakes brought in that are of course not native, just as there are many animals/reptiles here in FL that are not native. As a former zookeeper who has worked with venomous and non-venomous snakes, I do know a snake from a worm. :goodvibes

And yes, what I saw were "real" snakes. And FYI, I have nothing against Hawaii. I have visited many times and it's a wonderful place to photograph. :)

Snakes have been seen, reported, and yes, caught. I am by no means the only person to ever see a snake in Hawaii. I replied to your comment but did not intend to steer this thread off-topic. I apologize to everyone else here for the reaction it caused. With that, I will excuse myself from the off-topic banter and stop replying to you so for the benefit of everyone here the thread can get back to its original subject.

Sorry folks. :rolleyes:

safetymom said:
I live 12 miles from Epcot and have a very nice 3 bedroom house. It is not a shack and I paid nowhere near 400,000. I think you are looking at the wrong ads. You can buy a nice house for less than 200,000.

I apologize, you misunderstood, I meant near me in NY the houses are going for 500,000. Not in FL, thats why we want to get down there and QUICK!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter