• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we Leave Kids Ipads at Home?

I've wondered about this too. I'm always reading of this epidemic of poorly behaved children in public but just never see it. And we eat out constantly.
My opinion is it’s b/c of isolated incidents that get reported on social media & talked about ad nauseam & ppl feel good about themselves b/c they’re better at parenting,
or were better, or would be better if they were parents, etc.

I've wondered about this too. I'm always reading of this epidemic of poorly behaved children in public but just never see it. And we eat out constantly.

That is good to hear that there are still some places where people are raising their kids right. It seems like a good chunk of the city where I live, the kids are the ones in charge. I don't get it either. I work in a restaurant so maybe I just see the majority of it, but it very normal for parents to allow their kids to run around, even though people are carrying hot soup, etc. They also allow their kids to stand and run up and down the banquets, spill half of their food and the ground and not pick it up. These are all daily occurrences. I also see the side of young adults coming in to work. As I have said many times. Many of these young people come in with the attitude that they do not have to do their job because they have been allowed to do as they please their whole lives. I really do not know why there are so many where I live.

We do see it sometimes, but probably just as often see particularly well-behaved kids. (We try to complement those families.)

I find that most of the times we cringe are either when multiple families go out together, and group the adults and kids separately, or when the kids are really young and the parents are just overwhelmed.

That is good to hear that there are still some places where people are raising their kids right. It seems like a good chunk of the city where I live, the kids are the ones in charge. I don't get it either. I work in a restaurant so maybe I just see the majority of it, but it very normal for parents to allow their kids to run around, even though people are carrying hot soup, etc. They also allow their kids to stand and run up and down the banquets, spill half of their food and the ground and not pick it up. These are all daily occurrences. I also see the side of young adults coming in to work. As I have said many times. Many of these young people come in with the attitude that they do not have to do their job because they have been allowed to do as they please their whole lives. I really do not know why there are so many where I live.
Sometimes when you see something you become so focused on it you see it everywhere even if it's not always the exact same repeated situation. Kinda like once you notice the faucet dripping that's the only thing you can focus on, YKWIM?

I sure do notice things here and there while out. I mean it's hard to ignore the clanking of the keys that the parents gave their kid to play with on the other hand I'm not normally in the habit of diagnosing everyone while out. Some things bother me for sure every now and then but I don't typically find myself personally seeing all the fine details such that you describe.

Sometimes when you see something you become so focused on it you see it everywhere even if it's not always the exact same repeated situation. Kinda like once you notice the faucet dripping that's the only thing you can focus on, YKWIM?

I sure do notice things here and there while out. I mean it's hard to ignore the clanking of the keys that the parents gave their kid to play with on the other hand I'm not normally in the habit of diagnosing everyone while out. Some things bother me for sure every now and then but I don't typically find myself personally seeing all the fine details such that you describe.

It is much easier to ignore and discount when you are just a bystander and are only in a place for an hour or so. But multiply that by 8-9 hours a day and you would be shocked at how many parents allow their children to behave poorly.

It is much easier to ignore and discount when you are just a bystander and are only in a place for an hour or so. But multiply that by 8-9 hours a day and you would be shocked at how many parents allow their children to behave poorly.
No I know there are parents out there, believe me I do. But the difference is I'm not looking and looking and looking and inferring that seeing something automatically thinking there is some parental aspects lacking in all facets of life. If you saw the kids you interacted with for 8-9 hours a day out and about sure infer that their parents suck I guess because you have intimate knowledge. But it's different to do that to every stranger. In any case it's obvious, with respect, that you have very strong feelings towards raising kids 'right' and raising kids 'wrong'. I only sought to give a possible example why you're seeing so much of something others aren't.

No I know there are parents out there, believe me I do. But the difference is I'm not looking and looking and looking and inferring that seeing something automatically thinking there is some parental aspects lacking in all facets of life. If you saw the kids you interacted with for 8-9 hours a day out and about sure infer that their parents suck I guess because you have intimate knowledge. But it's different to do that to every stranger. In any case it's obvious, with respect, that you have very strong feelings towards raising kids 'right' and raising kids 'wrong'. I only sought to give a possible example why you're seeing so much of something others aren't.

I think that you can pretty much ask anyone who works in restaurants that the way children behave now is different. Of course, not every one. But enough to where it becoming the "norm". When I was younger, it was odd to see a kid standing up on their chairs, drawing on the table, running around the restaurant, or even screaming. Now it is a daily occurrence. You can't tell me that those are good behaviors for children to exhibit. None of those are behaviors that should be permitted, no matter what. When we start making excuses for bad behavior, that is when society starts to decline.

I think that you can pretty much ask anyone who works in restaurants that the way children behave now is different. Of course, not every one. But enough to where it becoming the "norm". When I was younger, it was odd to see a kid standing up on their chairs, drawing on the table, running around the restaurant, or even screaming. Now it is a daily occurrence. You can't tell me that those are good behaviors for children to exhibit. None of those are behaviors that should be permitted, no matter what. When we start making excuses for bad behavior, that is when society starts to decline.
I think what I'm saying is getting lost in translation. In any case let's just say you're not quite getting what I'm saying and leave it at that.

I think what I'm saying is getting lost in translation. In any case let's just say you're not quite getting what I'm saying and leave it at that.

To be clear, I do not expect kids to be perfect stepford kids. Kids will act up and that is normal. What I do expect is that parents correct this behavior, especially in public. If someone allows their kid to run around and scream in a restaurant where it is dangerous, not only to other people, but to the child as well and the parent does nothing to correct this, what kind of behavior are they allowing on a daily basis at home? No, I do not know someone's daily life but common sense dictates that most people would want their children on their best behavior in public. I highly doubt that the child only acts up when they leave the house. I don't expect anyone to be a perfect parent, but I do expect that they should teach their kids proper behavior and discipline. Not only for society's sake, but for the child as they grow and become a part of that society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter