• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we Leave Kids Ipads at Home?

Did you even 'read' my post???? I think I covered that!! Your solution was that the parents needed to leave their devices home also! Nope!

Easy enough to set limits. If everyone needs to be engaged that means everyone. If dad looked askance at the idea of not having his phone maybe he needs limits too. Or to leave it behind so he can be just as engaged as the kids

Easy enough to set limits. If everyone needs to be engaged that means everyone. If dad looked askance at the idea of not having his phone maybe he needs limits too. Or to leave it behind so he can be just as engaged as the kids

This notion that parents should adhere to the same rules as their kids is crazy. When did children become equals? My job and my husband's job make it very difficult to completely disengage. My children will not dictate when I can and cannot use devices I bought and paid for. When they are adults and have their own homes, they can set whatever rules they want. While they live in my house, they will adhere to whatever rules I set.

We don’t want the temptation, but I can’t help but think we are just trying to make our job easier by removing them, and that’s not the solution either.

Why is it wrong to make your job easier? As long as you're still doing your job (raising them to be kind and competent human beings) why not do it in the more drama-free way?

Like I said, there are times they can come in handy. More than once I've waited 20-30 minutes past the ADR time to be seated for dinner. And you all have to wait there, they won't take your name until your whole group is waiting. IPads would be great to keep the kids occupied in cases like that.

There is no way I'd be carry 3 iPads around the parks! My backpack is heavy enough with just the usual stuff.

I just don’t want them to miss out on an opportunity for a great experience, simply to be on an iPad. And, honestly, one if our boys choose that all day if we let him.

I would allow them to bring the iPads for the airline travel, but into the safe they go at the resort. (That way you've also got them if someone gets sick.)

They can easily watch TV in the room while you get ready in the mornings, and having them write or draw in a journal if they need some downtime in the evenings makes a great keepsake of the trip!

Some ideas for wait times in the parks are:
20 Questions
Would You Rather?
I Spy
Categories (ex: Think of ride/character/food/... for each letter of the alphabet.)

Technology detox can be a positive component of vacation! And while I don't advocate having exactly the same rules for adults and kids, I would try to set a good example by using your own phones for work, MDE, etc. but not losing yourselves in Facebook instead of interacting with the kids.

While I totally believe that kids shouldn't be equals in some areas of life, it doesn't seem right to tell them no devices if you're not going to put them away and avoid fun too, yes they have other purposes but if you're playing on your phone in line or at dinner what kind of example are you setting. There is a time and place for everything. I'd be more inclined to take them but set or agree on set time frame when they can be used, I would also agree to limits for the parents, nothing wrong with making this a family discussion. Establish time limits and when they can be used, I'd say morning and evening but kids are not allowed during the day at the hotel. But this is the time to talk with the kids and let them preset some limits of their own, then they've agreed to those times and its easier to hold them to it.

Our kids take their iPads for the plane ride. We don't come back to the room unless it is downtime I have scheduled (I'm one of those schedule people at Disney). Usually the pool wins out over iPad time ... which I find funny because we have a pool at home they don't ever want to swim in.

My main deal is the plane ride (or if we ever get the brilliant idea to road trip again). If you are flying with your kids, I think you have a responsibility to keep them entertained / not bugging other people on the plane. I fly quite a bit for work and it drives me nuts when I see people getting on the plane with their kids and nothing for the kids to do so they whine and complain and kick seats for the next few hours. (sorry ... totally off topic rant).

Why is it wrong to make your job easier? As long as you're still doing your job (raising them to be kind and competent human beings) why not do it in the more drama-free way?

There is no way I'd be carry 3 iPads around the parks! My backpack is heavy enough with just the usual stuff.

I would allow them to bring the iPads for the airline travel, but into the safe they go at the resort. (That way you've also got them if someone gets sick.)

They can easily watch TV in the room while you get ready in the mornings, and having them write or draw in a journal if they need some downtime in the evenings makes a great keepsake of the trip!

Some ideas for wait times in the parks are:
20 Questions
Would You Rather?
I Spy
Categories (ex: Think of ride/character/food/... for each letter of the alphabet.)

Technology detox can be a positive component of vacation! And while I don't advocate having exactly the same rules for adults and kids, I would try to set a good example by using your own phones for work, MDE, etc. but not losing yourselves in Facebook instead of interacting with the kids.

Thank you! We don’t allow them to bring the iPads in the parks at all, and we really only use our own phones for pictures or videos, or to see the park map or wait times. My husband isn’t really as bad as I alluded to. The times I’m recalling were when we were sitting at a nice restaurant, getting ready to eat a meal. I get that sometimes you want a picture of the meal or experience, but other than that, I don’t like having devices out while we are eating. I want my kids to understand there are appropriate times to use them, and mealtime isn’t one of them.

I seldom use my phone for work, but will have my laptop and will need to use it at night for work.

I agree with all of your suggestions for waiting, and we have used most of them, but never resorted to an iPad.

Personally, I wouldn't let my kids bring devices to Disney, but my oldest is 8, doesn't have any tech devices, and I can't see that changing for a LONG time. We don't go on vacations a lot, so that is family time. The only time I'm on my phone in the parks is to take pics or check times/schedule more FPs. In lines and while waiting for dinner, we talk about things, play games like 20 questions, discuss the parks and our plans, etc. There are far more things that kids can do to occupy themselves than sit and play on an iPad.

Our kids take their iPads for the plane ride. We don't come back to the room unless it is downtime I have scheduled (I'm one of those schedule people at Disney). Usually the pool wins out over iPad time ... which I find funny because we have a pool at home they don't ever want to swim in.

My main deal is the plane ride (or if we ever get the brilliant idea to road trip again). If you are flying with your kids, I think you have a responsibility to keep them entertained / not bugging other people on the plane. I fly quite a bit for work and it drives me nuts when I see people getting on the plane with their kids and nothing for the kids to do so they whine and complain and kick seats for the next few hours. (sorry ... totally off topic rant).

This makes sense. I am the most concerned about the plane ride as well, and for all the reasons you mentioned.

I would bring them if only for the travel portion of the trip. It'll depend on how you plan your trip. Are you a wake up and go person? If so, nothing wrong with the kids having them because they'll be limited (i.e. you can't bring them with you to the parks/meals). If you're on a more relaxing vacation, I would put heavy restrictions on them because you don't want to be living in your hotel room the whole time.

Depends on your tempo.

The only reason why I bring mine is because we have a 20 hour plane flight to get to Orlando.
Once we are there the ipad isn't' seen until the return trip home.
Way too much to see and do at WDW.

I'm not sure I'd bring them in the parks not only for concern of what ifs happening to them (even if you've done it before) but also lugging it around.

Bringing them in general? Yeah I don't think that's a problem at all especially on the plane/in the airport. Downtime in the rooms I don't see an issue with that. That's like if my parents said you can't bring books when I was a kid or for nowadays my Kindle as I use that when travelling.

Honestly? I don't think this is an issue with bringing it or not bringing it.

If you don't want to leave during the day, barring certain circumstances like sheer exhaustion/feeling unwell/heat getting to you depending on when you're going, etc, then just say you don't want to leave for the day. In the OP it's mentioned "Our rationale being that we are spending a lot of money and don’t want them even tempted to waste it on an iPad."...ok well just say no we're staying in the parks. Discuss this with them well before leaving for the trip so there aren't any surprises.

It just seems more complicated by having the stance no iPad period vs just setting the limit for when it's appropriate to use the iPad. That said sometimes kids get bored, etc just try and keep them as engaged as possible. And on the topic of adults and electronics just try to ensure that you're not so incredibly dependent on being on your phone because you're bored or trying to pass the time or really wanting to play a game since you know that's why your kids would want to go back to the room to play on their iPads. You're still the parent just think that would be the optimal thing to do.

I don't think you're wrong either way. It sounds like you've already had some sensible but strict limits on your kids and they haven't strained or pushed back on those limits. Our daughters are 9 and 7 now and we used to be much stricter on iPad/video game access (just about 20 minutes a week) and now that we've freed it up a bit, they are appreciative of the time but don't throw a fit when we tell them to turn it off.

We took the iPads and a Nintendo Switch for our most recent trip to Disney in April and of course it was a godsend on the flight and various travel-related annoyances (coming from Boston). We wouldn't let them use them at all when we were initially there, but toward the end of our trip, when we were getting a little worn down and decided to throttle back the activities, we let them play a bit more. I agree with the "its a vacation for them, too" concept although I also see the "lets not waste this vacation" perspective. Even still, they were always ready to go to the pool instead of playing on the iPads or Switch. We never brought them into the parks with us, but we occasionally let them use our phones when we had a particularly long line or waiting for a reservation, etc.

The only reason why I bring mine is because we have a 20 hour plane flight to get to Orlando.
Once we are there the ipad isn't' seen until the return trip home.
Way too much to see and do at WDW.

20 hours!! I can’t even imagine. We would definitely need entertainment for that.

In the end, we decided to let them bring them, but set limits.

I'd just consider boundaries before you go as others have said. Tell them they can have them on the plane but after that they stay in the room and can only come out when you say. I doubt you'll be actually in the room very much anyway. Just explain your expectations beforehand so they know what to expect.

It sounds like you got some great points either way. This kind of reminds me of the breast versus bottle debate. It doesn't matter as long as baby is fed. What works for someone may not work for someone else. You know your boys, you know what would be easiest on you. Go with your gut. Trust that momma instinct. If you want to allow for transportation and then pack away at the hotel, then do that. If you want to limit to mornings and afternoons, then do that too. I, personally, use my phone quite a bit between school, work and home life. I also LOVE reading and read to unwind each night. It is what helps me to sleep. I wouldn't do well going without my phone for a prolonged period of time, even on vacation. I know kids are likely just playing games and visiting social media but they need downtime as well. I hope you have a great vacation, no matter whether the iPads stay or the iPads go:-)

On our first trip with our triplet boys in January, 2017, we let our boys bring their iPads. They never used them at the parks or brought them to any of our meals, but used them at night or in the morning, or for down time. On that trip, they were 7–nearly 8, and while there were some moments where they asked to go back to the room for a break, and we knew it was an iPad break, it was rare. For the most part, they didn’t detract from our visit. This Trip, though, DH and I don’t even want them to have the option to use them. They will be 9–nearly 10, and seem to be more into iPads and gaming then a couple years ago. Are we wrong to take the stance “No iPads at all on this trip”? Our rationale being that we are spending a lot of money and don’t want them even tempted to waste it on an iPad. My biggest concern with not bringing them at all, though, is that it did serve as a means for DH and I to get ready for the day, pick up the room, whatever else needed to be done in the morning or evening, or while we were waiting at the airport. I have visions of missing a flight or even a flight delay for hours with no way to entertain them.

I dont think theres anything wrong with not taking them. - It's not like they're toddlers - then I could totally see the panic with a delay etc.

One other option is to ask them if they want to take it with the CLEAR understanding that they will only be allowed to use them on the plane and that they won't be allowed to touch them during the rest of the trip.

I would only consider it if you are leaving all of your devices at home too.

And honestly, I would let them bring them, but set limits on when and for how long they can be used. Long wait for a table for dinner? Haul it out. In line for Slinky Dog Dash? Nope. Chat with the family. That sort of thing. But then you and your spouse have to make sure you are doing the same thing. Not watching videos on your cell phone or anything like that.

I see you posted again, and I think you are being a bit too strict. There are times they can come in handy and keep everyone occupied and happy.

That is the craziest thing I've heard in a long time lol. Last time I checked; there's a huge difference between being a child and an adult; a child's brain and an adult's; a child's responsibilities and an adult's. By that logic; I suppose we should go ahead a serve alcohol and tobacco to all children who has a parent that ever consumes either lol... and they better be splitting the bills. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter