• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I stay at Grand Californian or an off-site hotel?? Help!

Stitch577

Earning My Ears
Hello!

I know this has probably been discussed over and over and again on these boards, but I am not very familiar with Disneyland and need some help. I have only been once in 2018 and stayed at the Homewood Suites, and am typically a Disney World person. However, I am looking to return to Disneyland in summer 2022. I keep going back and forth between staying at the Grand Californian or off-site at one of the hotels close to the parks. The thing that makes this such a tough decision is that I have a credit from when I rented DVC points and had my trip cancelled due to covid. I cannot decide if I want to use my credit for Disneyland and really go all out and stay at Grand Californian for 4 nights for only $100 out of pocket after my credit, or use it for a dream resort at Disney World in the spring and stay off-site at Disneyland in the summer. What would you do? And if you say stay off-site, where are your favorite places to stay within walking distance to the parks? Thanks for your help!

If you stayed at the Grand, would you still go to WDW?

I’d personally stay offsite at DL and use the credit at WDW.

Yes, we would still go to WDW. We would just stay value or moderate instead of theme park view at Bay Lake Tower (my WDW dream room at the moment). When I went to DL in 2018 I definitely was jealous of the people staying on-site, but I can't decide which one I want to try more.

Do you have a favorite DL off-site hotel?

Yes, we would still go to WDW. We would just stay value or moderate instead of theme park view at Bay Lake Tower (my WDW dream room at the moment). When I went to DL in 2018 I definitely was jealous of the people staying on-site, but I can't decide which one I want to try more.

Do you have a favorite DL off-site hotel?
The one trip we took to WDW with kids was theme park view, 2 bedroom suite at Bay Lake Tower, so I definitely say that hands down!!

We tend to stay at the Doubletree Suites Convention Center, but that’s because it’s super affordable and sleeps all 6 of us - and I’m a Hilton Honors member so usually stay on points. Plus, I require indoor corridors, which eliminates most of what’s across the street from the parks on Harbor. There are a lot more like that around there though But if you want to stay close and you don’t mind out corridors, the ones across the street all get great reviews.

It also might be worth looking into the DLH and PPH if they’re within your budget and you want to stay on-site.

When does your credit expire? Is VGC (Villas at Grand Californian) available for booking to actually use your credit? How many people are in your group that will be staying at VGC? Is the credit enough for a one bedroom or will you be in a studio?

I would save the credit for WDW where it matters and stay offsite at DL. Two reasons:
1. Staying onsite at WDW is much more important (to us at least) than staying onsite at DL. For convenience, immersion, and the theming. At WDW staying at a monorail or EPCOT resort feels like a bigger advantage.
2. It will be difficult to use that credit at VGC, it's a challenge even for owners at 11 months, so you can't assume a rental would be available especially with current/2022 demand.

If you are staying offsite at DL the cheapest but most convenient options are across the street. Courtyard Theme Park is getting good ratings but slightly higher cost The Sheraton, Marriott or others near the convention center are a bit longer walk but still walkable and a step up. I've stayed at Park Vue Inn for a short trip and it was fine, Sheraton was ok but a longer walk, but I used points (this was pre Marriott+SPG) so can't complain about free.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter