Should I cancel my daddy daughter trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You shouldn’t cancel.

Go. Maybe get wet. And have fun!

I was wondering the same thing.

I’ve had experiences where it’s raining in Frontierland when we exited BTMR and 15 minutes later the ground was completely dry on Main Street as we left.

I thought the forecast seemed normal for Florida as well. :confused3

As someone who is here now, it’s not normal Florida rain. I saw the forecast and expected occasional showers - instead we’re getting hours of a full on downpour. Started around 3 and we’ll be lucky if it ends before fireworks. Not just mostly cloudy skies with some scattered showers/downpours either - full cloud coverage, dark skies.

I'm seeing more and more reports asking about how to plan for this week's weather.
Why?
What is it that is different than typical FL summer forecasts that I'm not seeing?
In FL it is going to be forecast to rain every day, probably even storm, every day. That never means all day or even everywhere.
So why is this forecast freaking folks out so much? It looks the same to me

No. You shouldn’t cancel.

Go. Maybe get wet. And have fun!

I was wondering the same thing.

I’ve had experiences where it’s raining in Frontierland when we exited BTMR and 15 minutes later the ground was completely dry on Main Street as we left.

I thought the forecast seemed normal for Florida as well. :confused3

It’s very obviously not normal “Florida summer rain”. It’s a low pressure/tropical system that’s moving in and is expected to just sit over the area for a few days. This webpage does a good job of summing it up. https://www.wftv.com/news/local/liv...btropical-storm-becomes-more-likely/748798588

Pack extra shoes for both of you and keep an extra set of clothes in a ziplock bag in the stroller. I was in wdw one year during a hurricane and my shoes never dried the whole trip, even after putting them in the dryer. I ended up buying another pair.

I personally would not cancel. Just be prepared for the rain. You may just find low crowds.

OP - Often rain keeps the crowds lower. Obviously not ideal conditions at all if you do end up with a lot of rain, but I’d stay the course and keep your trip. Granted easier said than done with a 2 year old, but we’ve had some great rainy days at WDW. Secretly, part of me would rather tour the parks with a light rain vs beaming sunshine.

Yep. FL rain is usually sporadic - it comes and goes. I think it will be fine for the OP.

As a meteorologist I can tell you it will definitely rain much more than normal. While there will certainly be breaks, there will be several rounds of heavy rain. Likely to be 5-7 inches of rain over the next week on average. Definitely need to plan for it with rain gear and extra clothes. Also with more thunderstorms will come some temp closures of outdoor attractions. At least a side benefit may be lower crowds.

If you are concerned about losing deposit you can try calling and ask if they will let you push it back a bit without penalty - Disney can be pretty accommodating.

I think if I had the option to go with just my 2 yo though I still would. My 2 yo loves splashing in water, they are still pretty good at finding the magic in the little things. Lots of extra outfits, shoes that dry quickly, and a stroller cover and you two will be good to go.

In hindsight, if I could have moved our trip about a week in either direction, I would. It’s 8am currently. Been raining nonstop since about 3pm yesterday and isn’t supposed to stop until like 9 or 10 at night. Sky is super grey and ugh, zero sunshine. My little ones are a bit crabby that, as they put it, they can’t go on all the cool rides and they’re all wet because it rains all the time at Disney World (not true, of course...but it sure does seem that way on this trip! And it’s their first one.)

I'm seeing more and more reports asking about how to plan for this week's weather.
Why?
What is it that is different than typical FL summer forecasts that I'm not seeing?
In FL it is going to be forecast to rain every day, probably even storm, every day. That never means all day or even everywhere.
So why is this forecast freaking folks out so much? It looks the same to me
Seven inches of rain in seven days is not a typical FL forecast.

My Daughter and her Boyfriend will arrive on Wednesday. Some of the local Orlando news stations while still calling for rain have it more scattered by Friday so I am hoping they will get a bit of dry time mixed in. Packing umbrellas and ponchos and lots of shoes! I told her go and have fun and enjoy the lower crowds hopefully! Forecasts can change so who knows what the weekend will bring. They have dinner Wednesday night at Disney Springs and then start with the parks Thursday! I told her just be prepared for rain and hope that it does become more scattered....

Seven inches of rain in seven days is not a typical FL forecast.

Amen.

People who only know typical Disney/Florida rain should count their blessings. I looked at the forecast and knew instantly this is not typical since I've been there through this type of rain... twice. Half the rides in Magic Kingdom were closed, even the indoor ones. I sat on a stopped People Mover in torrential rain for a half hour getting absolutely soaked even with a poncho and umbrella. After waiting over two hours hoping things would get better, I finally slogged through 4 inches of standing water that wouldn't drain just to get to the front gate. Both trips that it happened, it never let up and went on for days. I spent more time in my room than anywhere else.

I may be in the minority but if I were the OP, I would be trying to reschedule the trip.

In hindsight, if I could have moved our trip about a week in either direction, I would. It’s 8am currently. Been raining nonstop since about 3pm yesterday and isn’t supposed to stop until like 9 or 10 at night. Sky is super grey and ugh, zero sunshine.

I am so sorry you are having such rotten weather. :flower3: I am not one of those that say I would prefer a wet day at Disney World than a beautiful day at home. NOT ME!! I love sunshine on my vacations.

In 2013, Tropical Storm Andrea stalled over Florida on our annual trip and for me it definitely put a damper on things. We are heading down this Saturday and I am selfishly hoping it will have lifted and moved on by then. Hope you get at least a few dry, sunny days soon. :beach:

Go have fun. This is something I have noticed a 2 year old girl + rain usually means a wet very happy 2 year old.

Dad, I think you should go! I would've LOVED to do this with my dad as a child. I think if you go prepared like PPs are saying, you will love it.

That said.....not to steal your thread but I'm also going Friday-Monday. Would PPs suggest adult rain boots and raincoats too? I am feeling yes but I just want to prepare myself and my mom, who hasn't been in 20 years. I thought as a NE resident I put the boots away for the summer but they may have to come back out...

Since my daughter and I are headed to WDW on Saturday through Wednesday, was thinking about finding some type of rain shoes to wear. Rain boots with shorts probably not the best look for me. I would look like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Our annual trips are always during tropical storm season and we have mostly lucked out, but have caught our fair share of lingering rain too. I don't change my plans for it. I would still go and just be prepared (stroller cover, towels, change of clothes and shoes) and maybe adjust your touring plan a bit to take advantage of indoor attractions and shows. That tropical depression that is hanging out over the gulf may well clear through by the end of the week/early next week so you may not be impacted for your entire vacation.

We're arriving on Wednesday so obviously I'm hoping for the best, but bad luck does tend to follow us to WDW (we were there for the first ever closing during Hurricane Floyd, and for 9/11). Honestly if it's "just rain", even if it's a lot of it you can only get so wet. Attractions being closed is always a bummer but that happens during normal Florida weather too.

If you go, consider buying shoes for her like this!
https://www.striderite.com/en/made2...G56964#cgid=girl-age-range-little-kid&start=1

There are other companies that make shoes in this material, so it doesn't have to be stride rite. They can be worn with socks just like tennis shoes but are made of a foamy/rubbery type material so without socks they're perfect for getting wet! The water won't be cold so I bet she'll think it's super fun getting to splash in her shoes all day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter