Should I cancel my daddy daughter trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you go, consider buying shoes for her like this!
https://www.striderite.com/en/made2...G56964#cgid=girl-age-range-little-kid&start=1

There are other companies that make shoes in this material, so it doesn't have to be stride rite. They can be worn with socks just like tennis shoes but are made of a foamy/rubbery type material so without socks they're perfect for getting wet! The water won't be cold so I bet she'll think it's super fun getting to splash in her shoes all day!

The water is actually kind of cold - my kids had these shoes on this morning and I was getting tons of complaints from them. I think rain boots are a better bet for this week.

Keeping her dry and happy won't be as easy.

Once you succeed at this, you'll know you always can. The worst day is supposed to be today, up to 5" today. By Thursday, it's supposed to "calm down" to interment showers and the ever-possible Florida thunderstorm due to heat and humidity. We've done monsoon-like weather in the parks with a toddler, and a good rain cover for our Mclaren stroller.

Adjust your plans, plan plenty of MK time, it's denser, with less walking from attraction to attraction. Don't zig-zag, work your way through areas methodically to reduce walking. Since it gets so many thunderstorms, most attractions in the MK (and WDW) are covered. Do lots of shows. Since pool time is out, stay in the parks. Hopefully, the rain will keep lines manageable.

Pack lots of cloths, get changed whenever you go back to the room. Skip things like socks that will just sop up rain and never dry.

Most importantly, stay positive and try and instill a sense of fun in it for your daughter.

Last edited:
Since my daughter and I are headed to WDW on Saturday through Wednesday, was thinking about finding some type of rain shoes to wear. Rain boots with shorts probably not the best look for me. I would look like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Wait a minute...you don't think that's a good look? :-)

Dad, I think you should go! I would've LOVED to do this with my dad as a child. I think if you go prepared like PPs are saying, you will love it.

That said.....not to steal your thread but I'm also going Friday-Monday. Would PPs suggest adult rain boots and raincoats too? I am feeling yes but I just want to prepare myself and my mom, who hasn't been in 20 years. I thought as a NE resident I put the boots away for the summer but they may have to come back out...

Since my daughter and I are headed to WDW on Saturday through Wednesday, was thinking about finding some type of rain shoes to wear. Rain boots with shorts probably not the best look for me. I would look like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

Waterproof just insures whatever water gets in stays in. And boots not too good at keeping water out from above. I prefer to plan around drainage, just let the water flow over and out.

I'm in the "Do it!" camp. Like others have noted: stroller cover, rain coat/jacket (not poncho!) and umbrella, and a change of clothes are key. Also bring some gallon zip locks to throw the dry clothes and important stuff in. I have a "waterproof" backpack, but don't take chances with things like phones and cameras since we'll be out all day and bag those up.

Some of my most memorable times at Disney with DW and DD have been in the rain, it keeps (some of) the crowds away and there is still plenty to do. My favorite park in the rain is Epcot, the wide-openness seems to deter people so you get lighter crowds, while there are still many things to do (SSE, The Seas, Imagination, Soarin', Living with The Land, Frozen, Mexico, American Adventure, films in China, Canada, France will all be operating in the rain.) Also plenty of places to duck into in WS should a downpour pop up.

Did I mention, be adventurous! It's Disney, don't be afraid to stomp through some puddles!

If you go, and I have no idea if that is a good idea or not, try to avoid wearing anything cotton. If you have nylon or polyester pants, shirts, socks, bring those and wear them (underwear too). Cotton is not good when wet. It's probably too hot for jeans anyway, but jeans in terrible rain would be terrible for you.

I'm seeing more and more reports asking about how to plan for this week's weather.
Why?
What is it that is different than typical FL summer forecasts that I'm not seeing?
In FL it is going to be forecast to rain every day, probably even storm, every day. That never means all day or even everywhere.
So why is this forecast freaking folks out so much? It looks the same to me

Watching a very unsettled area that could be the #1 tropical/sub tropical storm of the year. We are expecting lots of rain beginning Tues. eve. through the rest of the week - maybe more, and I am in NC. It is definitely forecast to be more than the normal thunderstorm activity that starts to hit FL this time of year.

Will it happen? Who knows what the weather will actually do, but there is a strong probability that it will - it has been heavy for days before with these systems.

Any advice on keeping a 2 year old happy in rain?
I say don't cancel. Make the best of it. The weather might keep others away. Just keep a close eye on the forecast and try to work the schedule to avoid the heavy rain. Other might disagree but i have the weather channel app on my phone so it is local when i am in WDW. For our april trip i found it to be pretty accurate when it would give me a notification that it was going to rain. Definitely buy shoes that can get wet and bring plenty of extra pairs. If your DD is like most 2 yo they love puddles and love getting wet. Buy a good rain coat for both of you so that you can both stay mostly dry but stay at the parks. Keep an eye out for good ARD that might be from those canceling that can provide a good break. Even if it will be raining it will probably still feel pretty warm, certainly better than cold and rainy.

A rainy day at WDW will be much more memorable than a rainy day at home. Go enjoy and report back.

Closing as the OP began his trip on the 16th and returned home over a week ago.

He hasn’t been on the Boards since May 13th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter