Shoes, shoes, shoes!

Whatever you get, you should get them NOW and wear them in as much as possible. It's never advisable to wear new shoes to WDW! An ankle problem I have makes me ultra-aware when I am buying new shoes. It's hard to test them in the store because you can't duplicate the conditions you'll be facing at WDW (such as walking 10 miles per day). You want to feel for any points of friction that you think might cause a problem when walking long distances, even if it doesn't cause a problem while you're walking in them in the shoe store. If I feel a bit of rubbing anywhere on my foot then I put the shoes back on the shelf.

We've been to Disney with the kids 3 times and before each trip we all go to the Croc store and get new crocs. Besides my husband, who buys new regular Crocs(the kind that look like clogs with the vent holes) and takes his high dollar walking sneakers, the rest of us get either regular Crocs or flip flop Crocs and that's all we wear. I've worn the Crocband Flip the past 3 times and this will probably be the only shoe I will ever need at Disney. They are light weight, good cushion and so comfy, great colors and thrifty price $27.99 but sometimes they have sales on them so they are even cheaper. I love them! At home I only wear flip flops and mostly those same ones. I notice a huge difference in how much the heat affects me when I wear socks and sneakers vs flip flops and it keeps me so much cooler being able to have my feet pretty much naked. Also I never need to worry about them getting wet.

So basically the kids get super excited because they know when it's time to go get new Crocs, then it is getting close to go to Disney! I'm actually thinking about how I can incorporate the Croc store in the trip reveal next time cause I like to surprise them.

Also, we usually buy them a month beforehand so we can break them in because as most people know, you never wear brand new shoes to Disney World.

Last edited:
I wear my danskos my kids wear crocs. The one day I wore tennis shoes I got blisters.

ok, i have to chime in. to the person who posted about the keen whisper sandals.... thank you!! just went today and tried some on. wow. just wow. very very comfy. i got both the waterproof and the leather ones. honestly the leather have a much softer insole and are the most comfortable but i love them both. definitely wearing them on the next trip to wdw.
the last 2 trips i wore my beloved asics gel kayanos. i love those shoes and wear them every day at home, but i wound up with epic blisters from them while at the parks .

Last edited:
For us it's all about changing shoes midday. I bring Tevas, Nike Free sneakers, sandals, and flip flops. I think changing shoes keeps pressure off my feet and I never have to worry about 'faves' being wet. If my morning shoes are wet I change them during our afternoon break. If I know I'm going on a water ride I wear shoes that will dry fast (I have taken shoes off on Kali). Never bring just one pair.

So I know it's been done before but what are your go-to shoes at Disney World? I'll be going at the end of August /first week of September and am looking for supportive, comfy, ventilated shoes (for myself, husband and 6 year old son) that can handle a soaking at Kali River Rapid, Splash Mountain, etc. My last trip resulted in blisters, pain and we even had to throw away my husband's sneakers after getting soaked at Kali, didn't dry thoroughly then stunk to high heaven! So I'm looking for advice for the shoes you felt worked best at Disney World! Thanks in advance!
I'm going to address the stinky problem.... We've managed to de-stink the smelly tennis shoe a couple of times. Sometimes, just a good soaking and scrubbing with soap and water and complete drying has done it. Another time when that didn't work, the next round was with vinegar...I think it was one part vinegar to three parts water (we bought a big jug of vinegar). We have a vegetable garden and the older tennis shoes end up garden shoes and they do get smelly if they get wet and don't dry out quickly, so, we've learned you just need to give them a soapy bath when we take off the wet ones, and they dry out fine.

Now, that doesn't solve the problem that tennis shoes take time to dry. I have multiple foot problems and need to be in my tennis shoes with inserts most days or I'm not walking the next one due to foot or knee pain. I did survive a day in my Vionic brand sandals on a rainy day at Disney once. They have pretty high arch support built in, but not enough cushion for me to last several full days in a row with them.

Having the option to rotate through a couple different shoes models helps me a lot. I have two different sneaker options and mix that up with my sandals for shorter periods of time...or A rainy day. I admit, I skip Kali simply to avoid wet feet.....

I wear flip flops year round, and for Disney, I use my Keens. The footbed is nice and solid, almost rugged, so it feels secure. We were there this weekend for a 3 day commando style trip, and according to my Pacer app, I walked just over 51,000 steps/21 miles and my feet felt just as great in the evening as they did in the morning. It's kind of funny, when I moved to Florida I started walking for exercise and I always wear Keen flip flops instead of sneakers. It's just more comfortable to me, but the strange thing is that I've always had issues with PF and since I started walking in my Keens, I haven't had any flair ups!

The last thread like this had the Sketchers Reggae sandals highly recommended. I ordered a pair and love them. I now have 3 pair. I have been wearing them to the zoo and a local amusement park. I haven't worn them at WDW yet, but will be in 2 weeks!. Shoes are so highly individualized. I will take 1-2 pair of sneakers as well.

I wrote in already but I remembered something else. Before our last trip, I also bought a pair of walking flip flops from the Walking Company at the advice of people on another one of these threads. You go in and they do an analysis and tell you which of their shoes would be best for your foot. My husband says I should try what he does and alternate the shoes each day of the trip so 1 pair on the even days and the other pair on the odd days. So I agree it's a good idea and I go ahead and settle on a pair that weren't particularly attractive to me(ABEO brand flops with an adjustable strap) because I thought they looked like old women flops and because of the price $90!!!!, but I bought them because they were so unbelievable comfortable and my feet felt so secure in them. I thought surely after all this tests and the price tag, they have to be good right? So I wore them to break them in. I didn't even end up wearing them on the trip because they were just not comfortable. I was fine sticking with my beloved Crocband flips, I was just trying something else out that might be better. $90 down the drain. Now I just stick with the tried and true Crocband flip.

I've worn all sorts of shoes, as long as they have padding. I've worn flats, but nice ones like Jack Rogers leather flats, not some crappy $20 ballet flats. or Born flats. They have an inner sole that feels like walking on clouds. Both pairs cost me $100 and lasted me miles of walking with no pain. I've worn Cole Hann weekenders, those are very comfy. Will prob do a mix of both next trip, plus possibly keds.

I have an odd foot question that might go along with this shoe question.

I'm getting a pedicure a few days before we leave. I imagine most people do. Now I'm wondering if this is a good idea. Would having the soft fresh new skin exposed be worse, as in get more blisters, then having the tougher more callused old skin? Does the old skin protect more?

Another vote for Skechers Go Walks! Just returned from a once in a lifetime (probably) trip with our adult kids. I alternated between 2 pair so I had dry shoes, no issues at all! 7 days in Uni and WDW and my feet never hurt. Loved them!

Adidas Ultra Boost. Pricey, but worth it. It's like walking on clouds. For flip flops, I like the Sanuk Yoga Mats.

I always wear a pair of Nikes/Jordans/Lebrons

The good: lots of cushion and ankle support to scoot around the park nimbly. My foot got stuck in the RR track on Main St in MK but the high top ankle support a few years ago saved me an injury

The bad: hot hot hot. I change my socks midday always. Not a lot of ventilation in these types of basketball shoes. I give the dogs a break midday and at night and wear sandals around the resort.

DH and I both have original Mickey Crocs that we wear exclusively at Disney World. And with socks!!! We don't do Kali, but if we did, I would take off the socks for the ride, then put them back on after. Crocs can get uncomfortable and cause blisters when wet (depending on the style).

I have Crocs Baja (I think) flip flops. They are awesome and I love them in warm weather.

I also love Propet Travel Walkers. They are so light you barely feel them on your feet. They would dry quickly as well, although I would wear them without socks to be sure.
I like the dollar store flip flops idea, change for the ride, then put real shoes back on afterward.

Any sandal by Merrill. They've been my shoe of choice for three trips now. Comfortable, and they dry out quick after the water rides.

Question for those who wear GoWalks ( I LOVE mine!)...do you wear socks with them in the parks? I usually don't when I'm just wearing mine for an hour or two. Just curious if you find it necessary for all day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter