Shocked at kid's behaviour...

So you say the heck with everyone else I'm so special I can finish my shopping even if it is disturbing you.

You don't abandon it you take it to a worker and say I have to leave so they can put the cold stuff back. Or you head straight to the registers and pay you don't walk around shopping.

I also think it is a bunch of baloney that parents don't remember.

Why shouldn't she finish her shopping? Its not about being special its just about getting a job done you need to do. I don't walk around every day expecting everywhere to be serene and quiet. Yes things disturb us sometimes. Big deal. Get over it and carry on.

Are you so special that someone should abandon their shopping just in case they annoy you slightly? Why don't you ask the supermarket to have child free days where you can shop in peace? Or internet shopping?

As previously stated I don't tolerate bad behaviour but children are not perfect and sometimes fuss.

Instead of glaring at that mum who perhaps is doing her best why not just move on and get on with your own shopping.

Amen! I hate to hear a screaming child in a store. Get a sitter, leave them with Dad, or leave the store. Once the child starts screaming there is nothing you need so badly it can't wait till you go out to the car and the screaming stops or you can take the child home and come back alone.

I also agree that tantrums should not be happening to the ordinary child once they can speak and understand things/communicate well.

Not looking for an argument...just want to point something out...it may be a rare circumstance and obviously not the case for most people but it has happened to me and I'm sure to others too.

A kid has a meltdown, no known reason for it, he's not tired or hungry, just does not want to be in whatever store, maybe he is terrified of a movie playing on one of the random store screens (yes...my son freaks out at certain movies on random TV's and I have no clue what set him off in the movie) he has Autism, but you cannot tell. He LOOKS like "an ordinary child that can speak and understand things/communicate well" because he's 6. But he can't, his comprehension and language is closer to that of a 3 year old (if that at times, it depends on the topic or day).
While I much prefer to go to the store by myself, it's not realistic. My husband is in the Military, so we don't live near family, friends are constantly moving (or we are moving) and hubby can be gone several days/weeks/months at a time, so when he is gone for training (there are lots) or deployed and since I don't live near family and since my son has Autism and is not easily placed with a babysitter (I don't trust people, most people don't get it and he has separation anxiety at times), I have no choice but to go to the store to get milk, eggs, bread, etc...and if he happens to have a meltdown, I apologize, but there is honestly no other option, I hold him (I'm 5ft so imagine how crazy I look holding an almost 7 yr old) and try to calm him down long enough to get whatever is desperately needed, all the while getting looks from random people as though I am the devil incarnate. It feels like crap...because all I can think is "walk a day in my shoes you heartless people!" (not on the board but in the store). Our lives and challenges are not obvious to those around us, I don't have a shirt that says "Spare me, I'm already drowning! Between Autism and the Army...my sanity is already running thin."

NOW...AGAIN...I must acknowledge that MOST situations are not like this...MOST of the time, it will be the parent who just wants to look through clothes and neglect their screaming child who happens to have boogers dripping down their face (sorry...big pet peeve of mine). I have seen and met my fair share of neglectful and ridiculous parents who have very little to do with their children, so I am not condoning their behavior.

ALL I am saying is that I am a darn good mother and I cannot stand being judged for certain "behaviors" all the while knowing that the person doing the judging has no idea what it's like to be in my shoes. But rather is so annoyed with those neglectful parents that they are therefore annoyed with me, because that is what they have become accustomed to.

LOVE people....lets teach our kids LOVE...even though so and so sucks as a mom/person/whatever....I am going to LOVE that person because I don't know what they are going through...

. I don't walk around every day expecting everywhere to be serene and quiet. Yes things disturb us sometimes. Big deal. Get over it and carry on.

Why don't you ask the supermarket to have child free days where you can shop in peace?
As previously stated I don't tolerate bad behaviour but children are not perfect and sometimes fuss.

Instead of glaring at that mum who perhaps is doing her best why not just move on and get on with your own shopping.

Big difference in a little fussing and all out crying! one you can ignore the other is heard all over the store and is rude.

Hard to move on and concentrate when a brat is screaming and crying and kicking and Mom is totally ignoring it or on their phone. They aren't all doing their best. The ones doing their best don't have screaming kids or are heading to the registers.

Many of our stores do have child play areas so Moms can shop in peace. I have never understood why some don't utilize them.

My kids didn't scream in stores and I don't want to hear yours. that is as plain as I can state it.

I think in most cases people are just too lazy to parent. They are more interested in being a "friend" and not a PARENT! My kids have enough friends, they only have two parents. I see it all the time, people sitting back messing with their cell phone or whatever while their kids run around getting into trouble and screaming and yelling and it's almost like the parent tunes them out or doesn't want to be bothered. I would have been IRATE if I were the OP.. "threatening" to take a kid out of line for half an hour only shows the kid that you give empty threats and don't want to be inconvenienced themselves with punishing the kids. Sometimes it's not fun to NOT getting on a ride you've waited to get on, but that's part of being a parent. If you threaten it, DO IT!! Kids need to hear "NO!"!

Where do you live? Cause I want to move there!;)

Our Giant Eagles have them. They are called Eagles Nest and they are wonderful! They give you a walkie talkie and you are free to go as long as your kid is 3+:thumbsup2

ETA- The ones that I've seen and put my kids in are VERY clean. They have Wii's and playstations for the older kids and train tables and books for younger kids. I know for a fact (a friend used to work there) that they sanitize the toys when necessary and every night and they even hold movie nights for kids with popcorn if you sign up in advance. My son couldn't wait until he turned 3 to be able to go. It's not like I'm dropping my kids off in some skeevy place!

Not looking for an argument...just want to point something out...it may be a rare circumstance and obviously not the case for most people but it has happened to me and I'm sure to others too.

A kid has a meltdown, no known reason for it, he's not tired or hungry, just does not want to be in whatever store, maybe he is terrified of a movie playing on one of the random store screens (yes...my son freaks out at certain movies on random TV's and I have no clue what set him off in the movie) he has Autism, but you cannot tell. He LOOKS like "an ordinary child that can speak and understand things/communicate well" because he's 6. But he can't, his comprehension and language is closer to that of a 3 year old (if that at times, it depends on the topic or day).
While I much prefer to go to the store by myself, it's not realistic. My husband is in the Military, so we don't live near family, friends are constantly moving (or we are moving) and hubby can be gone several days/weeks/months at a time, so when he is gone for training (there are lots) or deployed and since I don't live near family and since my son has Autism and is not easily placed with a babysitter (I don't trust people, most people don't get it and he has separation anxiety at times), I have no choice but to go to the store to get milk, eggs, bread, etc...and if he happens to have a meltdown, I apologize, but there is honestly no other option, I hold him (I'm 5ft so imagine how crazy I look holding an almost 7 yr old) and try to calm him down long enough to get whatever is desperately needed, all the while getting looks from random people as though I am the devil incarnate. It feels like crap...because all I can think is "walk a day in my shoes you heartless people!" (not on the board but in the store). Our lives and challenges are not obvious to those around us, I don't have a shirt that says "Spare me, I'm already drowning! Between Autism and the Army...my sanity is already running thin."

NOW...AGAIN...I must acknowledge that MOST situations are not like this...MOST of the time, it will be the parent who just wants to look through clothes and neglect their screaming child who happens to have boogers dripping down their face (sorry...big pet peeve of mine). I have seen and met my fair share of neglectful and ridiculous parents who have very little to do with their children, so I am not condoning their behavior.

ALL I am saying is that I am a darn good mother and I cannot stand being judged for certain "behaviors" all the while knowing that the person doing the judging has no idea what it's like to be in my shoes. But rather is so annoyed with those neglectful parents that they are therefore annoyed with me, because that is what they have become accustomed to.

LOVE people....lets teach our kids LOVE...even though so and so sucks as a mom/person/whatever....I am going to LOVE that person because I don't know what they are going through...

Once again I dont think you are the parent we are talking about here. You are doing your best, you are actively trying to control him and soothe him. I can only speak for myself but you would not get a look from me. If you could remove him (not easy if he is a bigger child I am sure) but try and get him to go into a restroom or to the car, have him calm down and resume shopping after that. But if I see you trying...then I am good.

You know the parents we are talking about I dont know why people cant see that. This is the mom/dad who is busy on their cell instead of watching little Susie throw a fit and destroy property. This is the mom/dad who lets Timmy scream his head off in the shopping cart while they continue to pick produce etc.

If I see the parent trying to soothe their child, getting them a bottle, hugging them, getting them some Cheerios, heading to the exit etc SOMETHING, ANYTHING then they are parenting.

And I will disagee with Hannthy, I aint putting my kids in those playareas, the ones I have seen look gross, and I am not a germaphobe.

Our Giant Eagles have them. They are called Eagles Nest and they are wonderful! They give you a walkie talkie and you are free to go as long as your kid is 3+:thumbsup2

ETA- The ones that I've seen and put my kids in are VERY clean. They have Wii's and playstations for the older kids and train tables and books for younger kids. I know for a fact (a friend used to work there) that they sanitize the toys when necessary and every night and they even hold movie nights for kids with popcorn if you sign up in advance. My son couldn't wait until he turned 3 to be able to go. It's not like I'm dropping my kids off in some skeevy place!

Do they have them for men? I actually find my husbands moaning at having to shop more annoying then anything the kids throw at me!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness!!! I so need a Giant Eagle near me! First they have those Disney gas card deals people are talking about and now this!!! Life is so unfair....;) Can I now proceed to have a meltdown since I have no Giant eagle store?!?!?!?

Do they have them for men? I actually find my husbands moaning at having to shop more annoying then anything the kids throw at me!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen "husband rooms" at Outlet malls. They are full of couches, big screen Tv and restrooms (oh and vending machines)

Oh my goodness!!! I so need a Giant Eagle near me! First they have those Disney gas card deals people are talking about and now this!!! Life is so unfair....;) Can I now proceed to have a meltdown since I have no Giant eagle store?!?!?!?

Only if it is a "contained meltdown" that takes place in your home.;)

Some of you parents kill me. Maybe you all should start the Perfect Parents Club or something. So you all are telling me that your children have never acted this way at any time in their lives? Either your children are imaginary or very, very boring. Shoot, I remember when I was a kid and on vacation, my brothers and I put a shark in the hotel pool once. It didn't live long but you should have seen the people high tail it out of there. Good thing Grandad owned the hotel. I say let them be kids (to an extent) because when they get older, life turns very, very serious.

We are not perfect, just parents. Parenting means discipling kids. Some are just to lazy.

Yes, I guess I have six "borning" kids! Oh well, rather have that than brats! Kids can be kids without being bratty. Give me a break.

We are not perfect, just parents. Parenting means discipling kids. Some are just to lazy.

Yes, I guess I have six "borning" kids! Oh well, rather have that than brats! Kids can be kids without being bratty. Give me a break.

I must have boring kids too! Because my kids are always respectful and I can honestly say I've never had a meltdown in public. If they did have a meltdown, they would be out of that store in 2 seconds, no matter the shopping I had to do and they would regret the way that they acted, that's for sure. Hey, maybe we should start the "Perfect parents club!" I have a feeling that her idea of "just being kids" is the same idea as the parent on the cell phone while their kid runs around terrorizing other people while they look away and pretend they don't see it.. You know, kids being kids!

I must have boring kids too! Because my kids are always respectful and I can honestly say I've never had a meltdown in public. If they did have a meltdown, they would be out of that store in 2 seconds, no matter the shopping I had to do and they would regret the way that they acted, that's for sure. Hey, maybe we should start the "Perfect parents club!" I have a feeling that her idea of "just being kids" is the same idea as the parent on the cell phone while their kid runs around terrorizing other people while they look away and pretend they don't see it.. You know, kids being kids!

So, not to stir things up....BUT, leaving a store is easy. Let's say your kid who "never had a meltdown in public" has one on an airplane before you even leave the gate? Are you going to get off the plane and lose all the $$ you paid for your seats? Or do you just paste a smile on your face and do what you can to get through it?

So, not to stir things up....BUT, leaving a store is easy. Let's say your kid who "never had a meltdown in public" has one on an airplane before you even leave the gate? Are you going to get off the plane and lose all the $$ you paid for your seats? Or do you just paste a smile on your face and do what you can to get through it?

Everyone knows their own kids and my kids really have not ever had a meltdown in public, at least to my memory they haven't. I don't know if you are insinuating that I'm lying about that or what. I can't tell. However, since I know my kids history and they've flown many times without incident, I probably would not get on the plane, because I would assume something was wrong with them and I would probably change my flight in order to make sure they were okay. LIke I said, my kids have never thrown a tantrum in public and have never had problems flying and we often fly cross country, so to do so would be abnormal for them and it would worry me. All people are different though.

Everyone knows their own kids and my kids really have not ever had a meltdown in public, at least to my memory they haven't. I don't know if you are insinuating that I'm lying about that or what. I can't tell. However, since I know my kids history and they've flown many times without incident, I probably would not get on the plane, because I would assume something was wrong with them and I would probably change my flight in order to make sure they were okay. LIke I said, my kids have never thrown a tantrum in public and have never had problems flying and we often fly cross country, so to do so would be abnormal for them and it would worry me. All people are different though.

I'm not insinuating anything....Just asking a question. Certain children are more prone to tantrums at certain ages. Especially around 2-3. (like yours, my younger DD had no tantrums that I remember) My older DD had several "at home" tantrums, but also 2 very public ones that I remember. One was at Disney (my fault...she was over-tired and over-stimulated, and I removed her from the situation by leaving the park and bringing her back to the hotel). The other was on a plane. She started having a meltdown before we even left the gate (because I opened the granola bar the wrong way, of all things). According to what you and the PP, I guess I should have gotten off the plane, sucked up the cost of the tix, gotten a hotel, and tried the same ordeal the next day? Sorry, but I chose to stay on the plane. Me, and everyone else for thaqt matter, just had to deal. Luckily, there was a mom with 4 older kids in front of me, who gave me a look of "I know what you're going through."

If your kids never had a public tantrum, consider yourself lucky. But please try and have some understanding for parents who are dealing with a child who maybe has a very different temperment from your children's. Not every misbehaving kid is a product of lazy parents. Sometimes it's just a kid having a bad day!

My kids really haven't had melt downs in public but they have done some crazy things(1 of my son's has asperger's).
I shall list all of the things that should be banned from the parks as they are can be annoying:
Smoking
chewing loudly
spitting(ewww)
seagulls
letting balloons go......
People who worry about other people's kids who are crying because disney can be way too much for a lot of people. Remember vacations are not one size fits all, some kids are not meant for theme park vacations....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter