• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

She's Going Coast 2 Coast......That Girl is CRAZY!......BOSTON MARATHON UPDATE 4/27

So it was now Monday. Martin Luther King Day. It was going to be our last day in Disneyland as the next day AM and I were going to see the live taping of Girl Meets World.

We slept in a bit this day. Meaning we woke up around 7:30 instead of 5:30. We got dressed and talked about what we wanted to do. It was basically going to be a make up day. We were going to hit both parks and do the things we had not done yet. The main one being World Of Color. Fantasmic was not playing due to refurb on Tom Sawyer's island so that helped narrow our plans down a bit. My sister was off this day so AM and i tried to get her to come out with us. She declined as she tends to get sick when she over extends herself. Plus she had to try and get back on West Coast time for work.

So AM and i stole my sister's car once more and headed south to Orange County. Once again traffic was not that bad and we got there in about 45 minutes. We parked in the garage and headed to the Magic Kingdom.

Here is where i fail as a human. I took NO PICTURES! None! Not on my camera, not on my phone, none! I do know we went on Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, Jungle Cruise, and saw the parade once more. Then we headed over to California Adventure. I know we went on Soarin' over California and pretty sure we waited in line for Cars, did California Screamin' and just browsed a bit.

Around 4 pm we left CA and headed to Chilli's. We were going to meet up with my cousins for dinner. I have quite a bit of family in California and i try to see them at least once when I am out there. My family is a very stereotypical Irish family. We are big and LOUD! I gave AM fair warning that my family is crazy, but she loved every minute of it. We had some drinks and talked and had a great time.

We took some pictures. Me and my cousins.

Then with everyone:

OK not everyone. The men and AM sat this one out. Those are my cousin's kids. The boy took some bad advice about how to "break up" with a "girlfriend" and told us all at dinner about it. We told him he is no longer allowed to talk to my sister and she is no longer allowed to give him advice :rotfl:.

After dinner AM and I were headed back to CA. We had some unfinished business to attend to. We still had to ride TSM and then see WOC.

We got back and had just enough time to ride TSM and do a little shopping before WOC. I always prefer TSM in Disneyland because the line isn't nearly as long for the same exact ride that is in Florida! Toy Story complete, and souvenirs in Hand we headed over to the WOC viewing area and found a spot to stand. We were in the back and had to maneuver a bit to find a good view, but we did.

Here is where I redeem myself. I have WOC photos! Yay!

My girl

Now who doesn't love Lady and the Tramp?

Hello Agrabagh....you can see someone's glow with the show ears here too.

Now I just love Buzz so I am sooooo happy this one came out well

I tried to get the dancing water

After the show was over we headed back to the car. We really enjoyed our time in Disneyland, but we still had an exciting day coming up!

Disneyland seems like so much fun I hope to be bale to visit there one day.

World of Color!! I wish they would bring that to Florida.

Yes, we do have a Toby's in Chicago and we have yet to go. :( But I am thinking we will maybe have time to stop at the one in Vegas in a couple of weeks so I've written down the name of that drink.

What a fun update. Sometimes it is best to just leave the cameras and phones put away and ENJOY! You got a lot done that day it sounds like.

Fun dinner with your cousins. And too funny about your cousins son and the break-up advice. :lmao:

Wonderful pictures of World of Color. That is the one thing I am most looking forward to whenever we get to DL. You got some great shots, especially Buzz and Lady and the Tramp (who I adore).

Can't wait to hear what the next day brings.

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. I have a very difficult week. I lost a friend last Monday to liver cancer and had a very tough time with her passing. She was 57 and a former co-worker. She left behind a husband, two kids and three grandchildren. She was the most amazing, positive, happy person on the planet. I attended the wake this past Friday, I was not able to attend the funeral. None of my old co-workers were going and I knew I would not be able to handle being there alone. I went to the beach and then to visit my friend and her little baby. Seeing my little nugget and spending some time on the beach was exactly what I needed. It allowed me to clear my head and think and figure out a way to draw strength from the pain and emptiness I was feeling. There are absolutely no words anyone could say at the time that didn't feel empty, however the outreach from my friends was amazing and I realized how lucky and blessed I am to have them in my life. I have told them all, when my time comes, don't be sad, be happy and do something nice for someone else. I don't want anyone to ever have to feel what I felt this past week. I have decided to use my pain as motivation. I know Cheryl wanted to see me run the marathon, so I am going to focus hard on my training and run as if I have already been selected. Life is too short to not follow your dreams.

Disneyland seems like so much fun I hope to be bale to visit there one day.

World of Color!! I wish they would bring that to Florida.

I do love DL. It is way smaller, but has a unique feel to it. I really wish WOC was in FL. Not sure where they could put it, but I would love to see it there. The music and imagery are amazing.

Yes, we do have a Toby's in Chicago and we have yet to go. :( But I am thinking we will maybe have time to stop at the one in Vegas in a couple of weeks so I've written down the name of that drink.

Oh yes if you have time in Vegas definitely stop in! It is a very fun place, but gets kinda loud later at night.

What a fun update. Sometimes it is best to just leave the cameras and phones put away and ENJOY! You got a lot done that day it sounds like.

I really did enjoy the day. We love the parade and seeing it not looking through the lens of a camera helped me enjoy it more. We did get a lot done, I think it is because we have very specific things we wanted to do.

Fun dinner with your cousins. And too funny about your cousins son and the break-up advice. :lmao:

Oh man. My family is a trip. My sister's advice was clearly a joke, but to a 10 year old, he took it too literally. Steph was in trouble :rotfl:

Wonderful pictures of World of Color. That is the one thing I am most looking forward to whenever we get to DL. You got some great shots, especially Buzz and Lady and the Tramp (who I adore).

Can't wait to hear what the next day brings.

Thanks! I LOVE WOC. It is a must see! I also love Lady and the Tramp. We had a cocker spaniel when I was little and I always wanted to call him Lady, but it was a boy lol.

How awesome you were able to see family!

LOVE the WoC photos!

I always try and squeeze them in when I am out there. I wish there was more time! I am possibly moving out there in 5 years or so, so there will be plenty of time then lol.

Here is how I looked after my 3.5 miler where I got sick two days later

No I do not have a sun burn. That is a true sign of heat exhaustion. It was a long night that is for sure.

I Did a 5K yesterday and let me tell you it was HOT! There was also a 10K this day and I was debating between the two. Given it was 92 degrees and humid hot! Real feel was probably around 100-102, I decided it was safer to do the 5K. I knew based on the 3.5 miler that I needed to take it easier and be in touch with my senses. The first mile felt great but there was no shade at all. So after mile 1 I started doing a walk/jog combo. This race is at Gillette Stadium where the Patriots play. We had to run UP the ramps to the 300 level, which is the top of the stadium. The run to the top is a quarter mile! I decided to run every other ramp. When I got to the top it was flat so I lengthened my runs and shortened my walks. When we got to the other side I ran down 3 ramps, walked 1, repeated to the bottom. I ran about half mile then walked again. It then snaked out of the stadium and hit mile 3. At mile 3 I just sucked it up and ran the rest. At that point it is only a 10th of a mile and is nothing. I finished in 41:24. This is not a good time for me. But for the weather it was a great time for me. I finished, and I wasn't sick or injured so I consider it a success!

Yes I look like a hot mess here, but trust me I felt great!

Glad you listened to your body, sounds like the 2nd one was quite fun and love your popsicle drinks! I have to say though, up those ramps in that head doesn't sound fun at all,. good strategy.

LOVE your WOC pics and how fabulous to have that time with family.

Hello everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. I have a very difficult week. I lost a friend last Monday to liver cancer and had a very tough time with her passing. She was 57 and a former co-worker. She left behind a husband, two kids and three grandchildren. She was the most amazing, positive, happy person on the planet.

I am so sorry for your loss. Words aren't enough, I am glad you found a way to have a moment of peace on the beach.

I am so very sorry for you loss. It sounds like you are headed in a good direction to healing though. Being around wee ones.. pushing forward with your goals... celebrating life. I know when I am gone...that is exactly how I would like my friends and family to carry on. :hug:

I am so very sorry for you loss. It sounds like you are headed in a good direction to healing though. Being around wee ones.. pushing forward with your goals... celebrating life. I know when I am gone...that is exactly how I would like my friends and family to carry on. :hug:

Thank you. It was a hard week, but I think my attitude helped a lot with the change. I am feeling so much better now.

Glad you listened to your body, sounds like the 2nd one was quite fun and love your popsicle drinks! I have to say though, up those ramps in that head doesn't sound fun at all,. good strategy.

LOVE your WOC pics and how fabulous to have that time with family.

I am so sorry for your loss. Words aren't enough, I am glad you found a way to have a moment of peace on the beach.

Yes listening to my body was the way to go. That heat was brutal. You could feel it coming off the ground.The ramps were the WORST! I am definitely questioning my sanity.

Thank you. I just love WOC. Make sure you add it to your must do list for DLH weekend!

Thank you. She was very special and I am going to miss her a lot.

So it was now Tuesday! Girl Meets World Day! The day I was going to try and meet Ben Savage, whom I have had a crush on since I was 12! As I mentioned before AM and I were big Boy Meets World fans back in the day. We are both in our early 30s and in that prime demographic.

The morning started off normally. I woke up around 7 am....just starting to get on West Coast time....and I see a text from AM...."Have you checked your email?"

Thinking this was odd I replied "No. Why?"

AM responded "we have a slight change of plans. Our flight home tomorrow is cancelled and rescheduled for Friday."

Given that this was still morning brain Katie, it took me a minute to process this. "Uhh our flight is cancelled? Uhhh....wait! WHAT?"

The east coast was expecting a storm that night and given prior griping about airlines canceling too late, they decided to cancel 24 hours early! This started a chain reaction. I called my mom to let her know, then started looking up flights for that night. Nothing non-stop. I called my boss and told him what was up. He responded "Ummm it isn't even snowing here! You just don't want to leave California." My theory was since I was on the first flight out on Wednesday, the flight coming in to Cali was going to be affected, meaning no plane in the morning. No plane. No go. So once I got accused of faking my flight being cancelled, my vacation essentially "ended". I was now "On-call" and had to answer email and all phone calls to my work cell phone. So technically my vacation ended two days early. Doh!

Since nothing was non-stop, I decided to just stay the extra two days. I didn't want to risk getting on a flight then getting stuck in Philly, Atlanta, Chicago etc. Id rather be in LA where I had a place to sleep and it was free.

AM had to get back to Boston by Thursday for a meeting. She was able to find a flight out of LA to Boston with a layover in AZ. Once we got our flights settled, we headed out for the day.

First stop....breakfast. We went to a local dive called "The Griddle". This place was AMAZING! I got caramel, walnut pancakes. It came with 3 of them and they were the size of a basketball.

I also got some hash browns and a diet coke. I didn't care for the hash browns but that is ONLY because they contained onions and I DO NOT like onions.

The pancakes were so big I only ate about a quarter of it.

After breakfast we drove around LA, did a little shopping, and hit up Target. You see I had not planned for an extended stay in Cali so I needed to get a few things....like clean clothes! Sure I could have washed the ones I had, but that would have been a bigger hassle.

When we were done shopping we headed over to the studio where GMW is filmed. We had to get there early so we could be sure to get in. They issue so many tickets assuming people won't show, and when they all do, not everyone gets a seat. Seeing as we were not local we wanted to make sure we could get in. We were given numbers 41 and 42 so we were pretty much set. I think the studio seats 150-200.

The show was very funny (sorry no photos), and I enjoyed it a lot. It is def not BMW but it is still way better than any "family show" on now. For anyone that watches the show, the show I saw is what I am calling "the one with the muffins." Farkle instantly became my favorite character and I really think this kid is gonna steal the show. The cast was all very talented and I am excited to see what happens with this show.

When the show ended we hung around trying to get to the front for photos, but it was mobbed. People tend to get their picture and instead of leaving for someone else to get in, they stay. One of my pet peeves. We waited about 20 mins, but had to leave so AM could get to the airport. Sadly I was not able to confess my love to Ben, so I will just have to wait for another day :sad:.

I dropped her off and then headed back to my sisters. I got back around 10 and get a text that AM's flight is delayed until the morning. I told her to go to super shuttle and get a ride back to my sisters, but she decided to stay at the airport over night.

The day was crazy but fun despite the changes. But what is a Disney trip without changes?

Up next.....wrapping up my days in Cali

The flight situation is just crazy! I can't imagine having a flight cancelled or delayed. Sounds like you dealt with it ok though... too bad you had to be on call for work though. Somehow that doesn't seem fair. :sad2:

UGH....what a nightmare with the flights. And that wasn't very nice of your boss thinking you were trying to extend your trip. :eek:

Those pancakes are HUGE! I don't think I could have eaten one of them.

Sorry you didn't get to meet Ben and tell him your feelings.

The flight situation is just crazy! I can't imagine having a flight cancelled or delayed. Sounds like you dealt with it ok though... too bad you had to be on call for work though. Somehow that doesn't seem fair. :sad2:

It was definitely crazy. I was shocked they cancelled it before it even started snowing. I figured I can't do much about it so may as well seize the day. I think it was the first time in all my travels I have been completely cancelled.

UGH....what a nightmare with the flights. And that wasn't very nice of your boss thinking you were trying to extend your trip. :eek:

Those pancakes are HUGE! I don't think I could have eaten one of them.

Sorry you didn't get to meet Ben and tell him your feelings.

Yeah it was a pain. When they rebooked us, we weren't even on the same flight! I got a direct, AM got a connecting flight for that Friday. She had to change hers to sooner anyway, but it was weird.

The Pancakes were AMAZING! I need to find the photo of my "finished" pancake. It looks like I only took 4 bites on it!

I know :( so sad Ben will never know how I feel. BUT The show got picked up for another season so there is always next year!

Hi Everyone, if you are still hanging in here life has been HECTIC the last couple months. Starting mid-August to right now I have been going non-stop.

Labor Day weekend I made a very quick trip to Cali to visit my sister and my cousins. We had a wonderful time, and my cousins kids dropped a bucked of ice on my head. My cousins son Ethan was VERY sick this summer. He had some complications from an appendectomy. He is doing fine now, but it was very scary for a while. We are very thankful that someone upstairs was watching out for him.

I also got to see Ann and Cynthia while I was out there. They were running the half and we met up for lunch (I have pix but I am not on my computer so I can't upload them right now). I had a great time even though it was brief.

My Friend Jaimie was also running the half so I went early the day of and watched her finish. As much as I love RUNNING the races, I also love watching them. Such endurance for all these runners. I have so much respect for each one of them.

After I got home it was off to NY the very next weekend for a wedding! The day after the wedding I went on FB and discovered that the wedding I THOUGHT was the 21st was actually the 14th! No HUGE deal.....but I was going BACK to NYC for the weekend on the 12th! I drove home and made it back to my house JUST in time for the neighborhood block party (yes this is still the weekend after getting home from Cali).

The following weekend it was back to NYC to spend Friday with my friend Pam who lives in PA. We did some touristy things and went to the 9/11 museum on 9/13. 9/12 was the 10th anniversary of my Friend Sarah's death. She passed away very suddenly from an brain aneurysm so it was nice to be with friends that weekend. Saturday evening I took the train home and crashed then headed to New Hampshire the next morning for wedding number 2!

On Monday I got to the office and found out a co-worker whom I was close with had passed away (for those keeping count this is the 3rd death this summer), her service was Tuesday and a few coworkers and I went to pay our respects.

Then came Thursday. Dooms Day. I got laid off. Yep. Lost my job. Awesome.

I had not been happy for a while at this job so in hindsight it came as a blessing. I had already started my job hunt a few months ago. As luck would have it the day before the layoff I had an interview and my recruiter knew I was now eager for a new job. I left work, called my parents in a panic, and cried for a few hours. I developed a severe migraine and went to take a nap. My friend Pam called me and chatted with me to talk me down and remind me I wasn't happy and now I had a 5 week paid vacation to find a job that would make me happy. My dad also told me that you have not made it in the real world until you lose a job.

I like to think of the 18th as a turning point for me. It is the day I lost my job for the first time ever, but it is also the day I applied to run the Boston Marathon for the first time ever! Yes my application has been submitted. I should know if I made the team at the end of the month. So thoughts and prayers are welcome!

So fast forward to Friday (aka the next day). I am at the gym and the recruiter calls me to tell me that the company I interviewed with wants me to come in for a 2nd interview. It is set up for Monday. I went to my parents house for dinner and my brother was giving me crud about leaving for a vacation on Wednesday. My dad told him (as did I), that A it was already paid for, and B I needed a break to clear my head. I was happy my parents were being supportive of my decision to go away even though I didn't have a job yet.

That weekend I hung out, worked out, and packed. Monday I had the interview. Tuesday I had a board meeting. Wednesday I hit the gym, then got ready to head out to the airport. I went to my friend Brooke's house and the car picked us up. We get to the airport, get through security, and go to the bar for some food. While I am there my phone rings. It is a TX number. Who do I know in Texas I ask Brooke? She says Karen? I say yeah, but I have her number. Maybe she changed it? I answer the phone and it is the company I interviewed with! They offered me the job! Woo hoo!!! I could head off on my vacation without a worry! I called my parents and told them it was only fitting I was headed to the "Happiest Place on Earth" with a job offer in hand! Funny story, I have been now offered 3 jobs on a Disney vacation! 2 times in Disney World and now once on my way to Disneyland!

So here I am today. I am babysitting all week, and then I start my new job on the 13th. I am happier than I have been in a while and I PROMISE I will get the Cali portion on this coast to coast report finished up this week!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Sorry about losing the old job but I am so happy to hear you got a new one!!:cool1:

Hope your vacation was good! :goodvibes

Wow! You've been through a lot in just a few short months. But, it does sound like you've come on out the other side and all is going well which is fantastic!

Katie, I'm finally here to catch up...please forgive me for my tardiness.

I'm sorry about the job, but I vaguely remember you not being happy. So glad you have a new one lined up and wishing you the best when you start on Monday.

And I was exhausted reading about all your back and forth for weddings, etc.

wow, what a month you've had since I saw you in DL!

Things do happen for a reason and though it was super stressful it sounds like it has all worked out wonderfully. So glad your cousins son is ok and that you made it to both weddings!

This is my second Boston reference today, so wierd! At a work function and a client just qualified last week. Big deal! He's missed this years registration cut off but is going to apply for 2016 and do the new crazy challenge where you do Big Sur the week after. Now THAT is crazy!

:rotfl2:

Congrats on the new job, very exciting!

The last couple months sound pretty draining! I am so sorry you lost your job but it sounds like it worked out nicely. And you have since started your new one? I hope that is going well.

It was so nice to see you in CA in August. I just wish that there was more time to spend together. We will definitely have to do some more serious planning when it comes to our next meet! :goodvibes

Sorry about losing the old job but I am so happy to hear you got a new one!!:cool1:

Hope your vacation was good! :goodvibes

Thank you. The new job is working out very well. It is nice to be happy at work again! My vacation was great! It was just what I needed after my cruddy summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter