She's Going Back in Two Weeks, a Jan 2022 PTR

GrandCalifornian

Can't Wait To Go Back
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!

We're headed to Disney World in just 14 days, so there's no time line the present to finally kick off a Pre-Trip Report. Holy cow, how did time just fly crazy fast?

I am super excited to get back to WDW, not having been there since last February.

Allie and I got to go back again in May, but we too are really excited to be at WDW. We are so so close to the trip, Paul is pulling out suitcases this weekend after we put away the Christmas stuff.

You can check out the fun from our prior trips at the links from here, but for those of you who are new here let's go ahead with the introductions.

I'm Melissa, I'll be writing in orange.

I'm mom to our two great kids. I'm super excited about this trip, we really need a break from real life for a half a minute. So normally we start our PTR's much much earlier than this, but we decided it was still worth it to say hi to all our friends and let you know we didn't fall off the face of the earth.

I am Paul, the Dad and primary trip planner for our trips.

I am a Mechanical Engineer during the day at work, and definitely a bit of a planner and spreadsheet guy. I'll be turning 42 during this trip, my first time celebrating my actual birthday at Disney. I have been really busy recently though, so I haven't put quite as much time into this trip as usual (hence the very late PTR). I’ll be writing my comments in blue.

Marshall is our energetic now six year old, who has a well defined to do list for Disney. He loves to have fun and is the most social of any of us.

Allison is the "she" in our reports and is now 12.

She loves Disney though and always can’t wait to go back.

Jon and Brandy are joining us again on this adventure. We love spending time with them and they're really the friends that are family.

We made our plans for this trip during our 2021 trip, and decided to mix it up a bit by having a split stay with the trip starting off at Beach Club Villas, then moving "home" to Copper Creek.

Allie and I did a bit of a preview by staying at Yacht Club in May and we're excited to show the boys what it's like to stay on that side of the world.

We are staying 4 nights at Beach Club and then 5 at Copper Creek, both in 2 bedroom DVC rooms. Because of the points borrowing restrictions, we rented points for the Beach Club portion.

It'll be something new for us completely moving resorts but it'll make for a great split I think.

We have always wanted to stay in the Epcot area, and walking into our favorite park should be great.

The next two weeks leading up to the trip are a but of a tornado for us, well, mostly Paul.

Yeah, the trip timing coincides with my career transition from an engineering software company to work with Melissa at the family elevator business. I gave my notice, and will be wrapping up a 20 year career before heading to Disney World, so I will be ready for the break.

It's a huge transition for us but we're really excited and optimistic for the future. We aren't sure what that means for future Disney trips but overall it means good things for our family.

Yeah, vacations might be a little harder to come by for a little while, but we will most definitely be back to our favorite place before too long.

But.... we have some super exciting things planned for this trip.

Yes, and since we are running out of time to talk about them, let's get to it! First things first, the food. We have first time ADRs for us at Brown Derby, Steakhouse 71, the restaurant in the pavilion in Mexico (we know, but we still finally had to try it), and brunch at Homecomin.

Oh I'm really looking forward to brunch! I've wanted to do that for a while.

And it will get us to Disney Springs earlier in the day than usual.

I know Paul already mentioned it but this time we're going to be there ON his birthday. You can bet I'm making him wear a birthday button. You know what, I'm going to order him a t-shirt.....

Fun stuff... We are also returning to visit Beaches and Cream and Skipper Canteen which not all of us have been to before, and also our favorites including Boathouse, Yak and Yeti, Liberty Tree Tavern, and Teppan Edo.

So much good food! I'm packing my stretchy pants.

Another reservation that we are excited about is that we get to have a Magic Kingdom fireworks cruise our first night at Wilderness Lodge.

Yes! We didn't get to do that last trip because of Covid, I'm glad they'll have fireworks AND we get to watch them on a boat.

That will be cool, and we'll get to see new shows for the first time.

Another new thing is we had to figure out how to get to and from the airport. We looked at the Mears Connect option, but wanted to upgrade to the express service. Then we looked at some other options, and figured out that we could get a private car service for just a little more. But, why settle for a car when we could have a limo... The kids are at perfect ages to be fascinated with a limo, so we will get to arrive in style.

But shhh it's a surprise. I think they'll be super excited about that. Heck, I'm excited, it'll only be my second time ever riding in a limo.

I think we're both excited about not having to wait for a DME bus! The first limo ride was on our way to WDW for our honeymoon, and this will be a great chance for the kids to do something they will both enjoy.

Oh for sure. We are also arriving pretty early this trip, we scored a great deal on airfare a couple months ago on Delta non-stop flights.

We arrive at 2:05 which is great for coming from the West coast, and we are hopeful that it should be a nice comfortable flight.

I keep picturing arriving at Wilderness Lodge. Starting the trip at Beach Club will be so different.

Yes it will, more like your last trip, but with a lot more company. Hopefully we don't slow you girls down too much...

Ha, I don't think so. My feet will appreciate the slower pace I'm sure.

I am just hoping I don't have too many work calls from my by-then-former employer, or from my new one, for that matter. :)

While we didn't have time for much of a PTR, we will do whatever it takes to write up the trip and share the experience with everyone, so be sure to look for the trip report once we get back in late January...

I was hoping that you would post a pre-trip report. :) I can't wait to hear how your split-stay works out. It will definitely help that Melissa and Allie have already discovered the ins and outs of the YC/BC resort. And then there will be all those photos of the Epcot resort area to take. :) I hope you have good weather.

Your Delta flight sounds perfect. You will be able to head right into Epcot moments after you arrive. :)

I am in for the report! Have a great trip! I took that Delta flight in September and it was great arriving so early from the west coast. It is the one I want to book for March, but the price is not dropping yet. Hoping as it gets a little closer that it finally starts to drop.

Love your trip reports and excited for your family! I think you all will really enjoy staying in the Epcot area. It's great having so much nearby.

Yeah another PTR with a TR on the horizon. Looking forward to reading more. I love the EPCOT resort area.
Thanks for joininig in, you;re first! We are super excited to all get to stay there for the first time. Walking in to Epcot is going to be great. We are not as concerned about the lack of Quick Service in the area as we used to be, since Melissa and Allie had no problem finding good breakfast options in May. I wonder if splits like this will become the norm, or if we will move to alternating between locations for different trips, Time will tell.

Looking forward to your new trip. Hope Paul will enjoy working with your family's elevator business!!
Thanks. We are looking forward to the trip and the new adventure too. I am good friends with Melissa's Dad, so I will be learning a lot from him for some time to come. It will be very different, but exciting too with great potential.

Following along :)
Thanks! We will post updates here as we get closer to the trip and make it there.

Welcome back once again! It's short, but the TR will be great (hopefully) since we are really looking forward to another trip.

I was hoping that you would post a pre-trip report. :) I can't wait to hear how your split-stay works out. It will definitely help that Melissa and Allie have already discovered the ins and outs of the YC/BC resort. And then there will be all those photos of the Epcot resort area to take. :) I hope you have good weather.
Hello again and welcome. We are super excited about the split, and finally getting to enjoy staying at Beach Club. I know we might be mixed on split stays since it breaks up the trip, but to have the chance to stay at both spots we all think its a great idea for this time. After last year we are packing more warm clothes, so it might wind up being shorts weather... I do hope we can swim at least once at SAB for the kids, although Allie didn't fall in love with it. It just is one of those Disney bucket list things we've gotta do.

Your Delta flight sounds perfect. You will be able to head right into Epcot moments after you arrive. :)
We just had to book it when we were able to meet our target of $250 a person round trip AND get Delta with great times. After we booked they moved our return trip home up by a few hours, which isn't as ideal but isn't terrible. We all agreed we'd rather get there early than stay a little longer, since departure day isn't as much fun as the day we arrive.

I am in for the report! Have a great trip! I took that Delta flight in September and it was great arriving so early from the west coast. It is the one I want to book for March, but the price is not dropping yet. Hoping as it gets a little closer that it finally starts to drop.
That's great, we're glad you enjoyed the flight in September. Hopefully the price comes down for you for March.

Love your trip reports and excited for your family! I think you all will really enjoy staying in the Epcot area. It's great having so much nearby.

Thank you so much! We are pretty excited too. With all the changes and new things going on, getting to relax "home" at WDW will be perfect. Our next trip might be shorter, so we are going to make the most of this one. The Epcot area is going to be great, and we'll see what I can find during my early morning walks there. I won't find the Lodge, but that's ok, I know it is coming a few days later...

I was thinking of you all and wondering about your upcoming trip. So glad to hear you are going ahead and looking forward to hearing about all the fun!

I do hope we can swim at least once at SAB for the kids, although Allie didn't fall in love with it. It just is one of those Disney bucket list things we've gotta do.
We found a nice seat in the sun at SAB during a winter trip. The air temp was 67 degrees but it felt warm in the sun. I even went swimming and the water felt great. It was a little chilly getting out of the pool, though. I bet Marshall will love the pool. :)

We found a nice seat in the sun at SAB during a winter trip. The air temp was 67 degrees but it felt warm in the sun. I even went swimming and the water felt great. It was a little chilly getting out of the pool, though. I bet Marshall will love the pool. :)
That sounds great. We hope to reach the 70s on some days, and I’m sure we’ll give the big pool a try.

Following! :surfweb: Can't wait to follow along and see how you like mixing it up with a split stay.
Welcome back! Yes it is our first multi-resort split stay. We have split between different rooms at WL before but moving between resorts will be new to us. I don’t expect the group to love it, but we all agree it is worth it for this time.

Hello everyone, and happy Sunday. For us that means donuts and watching DFB videos.
p4110760414-4.jpg

Melissa saw the 50th anniversary Dooney Bag with the castle on it, and will buy one of it isn’t sold out in the parks before we get there. It is pretty cool, so our fingers are crossed.

Today we are all in a particularly Disney mood, since we are starting our packing. Marshall even got out his Mickey Train.
p4110760453-4.jpg

We also have been putting together our schedule for our phones, and park hours look nice. 10 AM Epcot openings should be great, especially when we are staying right there. We will also be there for the odd day when there’s a 4:30 PM MK closing, but we are at AK that day so it shouldn’t affect us too much.

That’s about all for now, but we’ll post another update during the coming week as we get our packing together.

That is a really cute train. :)

10 AM Epcot openings should be great, especially when we are staying right there. We will also be there for the odd day when there’s a 4:30 PM MK closing, but we are at AK that day so it shouldn’t affect us too much.
I'm glad that they moved the Epcot opening to 10 am instead of 11am. Now they need to drop the 2 pm park hopping rule. We have a 4:30pm MK close during our trip in Feb and we are hoping that means a low crowd day at MK. :)

I like the layered rock on the wall in the picture of the inside of your house.

Wondering what made you decide to quit your job to join the family elevator business.

Yes, it looks like a fun Mickey train.

That is a really cute train. :)
Yes, it is the one we bought him the year we stayed in the cabin. Now he can get it out and set it up himself.

I'm glad that they moved the Epcot opening to 10 am instead of 11am. Now they need to drop the 2 pm park hopping rule. We have a 4:30pm MK close during our trip in Feb and we are hoping that means a low crowd day at MK. :)
Yeah, earlier park hopping would be nice, but with the big group we usually don't want to switch parks till after 2 anyway. An extra hour at Epcot in the morning will be delightful. So will walking in for a bit from our hotel at odd times, like on our arrival day.

I like the layered rock on the wall in the picture of the inside of your house.
Thanks, that is the back wall of our living room, and it is stacked stone around a fireplace and then up to the ceiling, with the TV hanging above the firplace. It works great for us.

Wondering what made you decide to quit your job to join the family elevator business.
That is a long list, but in general the time was right and there was more opportunity for growth at the Elevator Company. They needed people to come in and help run it, and I wanted to try something new. I will probably do more actual engineering there than my old job, but it is always strange to switch and do something different.

Yes, it looks like a fun Mickey train.
It is the one from the parks, and is quite big. It is battery powered, which I wasn't sure about, but it makes it easy to get out and use. It has held up well to Marshall which is saying something.

Last edited:
We made it to the Sunday before our trip, and everything is on track. We have almost everything packed for all four of us, which gets to be more of a challenge as Allie gets older.

12 is a fun age...

Allie, are you all packed? Really, well having the clothes dirty in a hamper doesn’t count.

Also, Paul and Marshall did not break any bones last night when they decided to crash on the sidewalk while racing to the door.

Yeah, that was a race gone wrong. Fortunately we were both fine minus a scraped knee for Marshall. We both decided not to race this morning.

Sometimes I feel like the only adult in the house

This morning we watched DFB videos for the last time before the trip. I don’t think we will be waiting 6 hours for a Figment popcorn bucket, but we’ll see.

I will not be waiting that long for a popcorn bucket, and I'll ridicule anyone in our family that decides to.

There is also a significant Nerf dart war taking place between the two kids right now.

I am caught in the crossfire.

The suitcases are all doing well though, with 44 lb in one and 38 in the other checked bag.

I don't want to gloat but we're pretty much packing pros by now.

Although I just thought of something.... Do we know where the stroller is?

Yes, it is in the garage, I will pull it down. We are so close to not needing it, but will take it just in case.

Yeah I just don't want to listen to whining because a certain small troll's feet are tired.

Yeah, one more time. At least it’s free to check it for the flight. We also will only have two carry ons, which should make us pretty mobile.

Packing wise, the girls collected all of their Mickey Ear headbands, and decided to bring them all.

We really couldn't leave any home.

It’s the same thing for Allie’s Nuimos. They all have to come.

Marshall would have loaded up a whole backpack with HotWheels cars if we let him. Fortunately he narrowed it down to just a few.

Lol he totally would, we really gotta watch what he decides to put in his backpack.

Yeah the Nerf guns are staying home.

The camera is packed too, along with a bunch of cleared off memory cards.

We even ordered extra new batteries so we would have plenty of juice for lots of pictures.

Only 3 more days of work and then we're off! I can't wait.

Me neither, but it will be an interesting three days since I’ll be starting the new job.

Another crazy week for you for sure.

But it winds up at Disney so I'll take it!

I will not be waiting that long for a popcorn bucket,
Not only do I find the popcorn bucket obsession crazy, but I don't know how Figment became so popular. ;)
The suitcases are all doing well though,
Except for the dented Zebra striped suitcase. :)
The baggage handlers need to take better care of passengers' luggage.
Do we know where the stroller is?
We always put on a lot more steps when staying at an Epcot resort than staying in the MK area. I think it has to do with walking to/from HS and repeated trips into Epcot. The World Showcase is a really big place.
Packing wise, the girls collected all of their Mickey Ear headbands, and decided to bring them all.
The ears are really cute and lightweight, too. :)
but it will be an interesting three days since I’ll be starting the new job.
I hope the transition to the new job goes smoothly. Will the people at the old job bother you with questions once you have left them?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter